“Families with Young Kids, Go Here!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Families with Young Kids, Go Here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

ME: "I'm going to an all inclusive that includes a nanny"
Nephew: "I'll look for your kids on Ebay"
That seemed to be the attitude we got from everybody who we told. 'You're going to leave your kids with a stranger?'
If you think that, you will be missing out on a great vacation. Really? over 400 reviews on here dating back years? Why worry?

If you think that we are parents who just want to dump your kids off for selfish reasons, you're wrong. We never went more than 2 hours without being with the kids. Everything revolves around the pool area, and the kids are always walking by to go to an activity, or they can ask to go see us, or we would tell the nanny to bring them to the pool at 1pm, we are going to have lunch then go on the water slide, etc. At night (we had ours stay each night for $7/hr) we told our nanny - if the kids are having fun at the kids club (where there was a kiddie buffet and games), then just bring them by the restaurant to say goodnight to us before you put them to bed. If they want to eat with us, we'll be at the "..." restaurant at 7pm, bring them there"

If you read the reviews on here and still went to the FDR with NO KIDS, and you left a negative review, shame on you.

The FDR is a place for kids 0-9 (IMHO), although if they are a bit older they will enjoy it if there are other kids their age.

Know this: We have already booked our return trip for this year, so when you read my review, I am just pointing out small things they can improve on, which really didn't take away from the overall experience. I know they read the reviews, so hopefully they will pick up a few notes. Also, I just heard that this fall they will be doing a total renovation of the property, so perhaps some of my observations will be addressed.

On day one, at 11am, drunk by the pool (don't judge me!) My wife an I looked at each other and said "How can we NOT come back here). Every review talks about how great the nannies are, etc...so we agree 100%, so not to bore you with that.

The 'Complaints':

- As a family resort, it was odd they didn't have kids size silverware. All of the forks and spoons were adult size and difficult for my 2yr old to eat with. (Unless they had them and I didn't see)

- The one bedroom was an odd setup. The kid's bed was placed right up against the front wall next to the front door. My 4.5yr old refused to sleep there. (see pic)

- The bedroom had no storage. Sure there was a closet to hang clothes, but there was only one dresser with 4 or 5 drawers, and a lot of open (wasted) space where they could have placed another dresser.

- The wifi in room was sketchy. Couldn't get it in the bedroom, and sometimes in the main living room area.

- There was no ipod dock as advertised. I would have brought a portable speaker had I known this. We spent a few hours in the room getting ready before dinner, and an hour here or there during the day and would have liked to put on some music to chillax.

- No clocks in the room. You don't need alarm clocks when you have young kids, but in the middle of the night you want to see what time it is.

- No channel guide. For the little time we had the tv on for the kids, just print out a word document and laminate it with a channel listing.

- There were not many outlets for charging phones, etc. I believe we had to unplug the microwave to use one. Also the tv in the bedroom had to be plugged in with an extension cord which the kids could easily have tugged on.

- No crib sheet or blanket for the crib

- More than a few times the buffet had at least 2 empty trays for 1/2 hour until I asked.

- The photographer took some great pics of the family, posed by the water. However he did not go around the resort and take any candids. We knew the kids were having fun in the kid's club, but a few photos of them would have been great, we would easily have bought a few at the end of the week. Maybe pics in the pool with the family playing, on the water slide, During the evening activities etc...

- I know it is cheesy and cliche, but there was NO reggae music. As in any country, the younger generation doesn't listen to their parents music. For them, Bob Marley was 40yrs ago. However, this is a tourist resort in Jamaica. I listen to a lot of non Bob Marley reggae, so you don't have to play Legend, just have an ipod with reggae on at the bar at night while the parents are sitting poolside having cocktails, or around the resort as background music during the day.

- Big Blue the water slide could use a serious waxing. Most trips down ended with the person getting stuck in the middle and having to push his or way down the slide into the pool.

SEE? Not really 'complaints' just a few observations.

We went in low season, so didn't have the problems of overcrowded pool or no towels or no hot water. The food was good, not 5 star, but can't say a bad word about it. Because it was low season, not all of the activities or events were going on. There is a chalkboard by the pool with the schedule, but many times we lost track of time, so the staff could have been a wee bit better walking around letting everybody know "Hey it's 1pm, we are going to have the crab races" for example.

Whenever we wanted, we could grab the sports guys and have then take us on the sailboat or get us the snorkeling gear. The owner's niece is in charge of activities and she was great. Not only for the kids, but also the adults. When karaoke was scheduled, but there was only 6 or 7 couples at the bar, she didn't harass you to get up and sing and try to get people involved. She was able to see we just wanted to kick back and have a few drinks. Other nights, she knew she had to have a way to get the various couples mingling and started some dominos or board games.

The great thing about the resort is if another family's kid has a meltdown at dinner, nobody cares. Everybody knows that the next night it could be your 2 year old! We had our nanny join us for dinner most nights, and the good thing about that is if your kid wants to get up and dance or sees a friend and wants to run over to say hi, the nanny is right behind him or her. So as parents, we didnt have to keep getting up and chasing the kids around.

Yes, the beach is non existent. It can only be used for the nannies to put the infants and young toddlers feet in the water. The beach next door is great. Not bad to get to, but a few slippery rocks to be careful of. No shade, or chairs there. (see pic).

Our kids went back to the room in the afternoon for a nap. My 4 year old only slept 1/2 hour, and then had to wait for the baby to wake up. After 3-4 days, she asked if she could get up and walk to the pool to get us. We were ok with it, as it was only about 30 yards and the resort was small enough she knew her way around it. We told our nanny it would be ok for her to let our daughter walk by herself to the pool. The nanny was very uneasy and we could she was not very comfortable with this, even though as parents we said it was ok. We saw that she was VERY worried about this, so we just went back to the room to get our daughter so as to not put the nanny in an awkward position.

I'm posting a few pics I took, one from the sailboat looking at the resorts, from atop big blue, of the rooms and the beach next door. Feel free to inbox me with ??

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us. We wish you had written earlier because your suggestions are so good.

We always keep on hand a large quantity of crib sheets and blankets, because we are committed to families. We will check with your Nanny as to why you would have experienced a shortage in this area and adjust our stocks accordingly.

All rooms are now provided with TV channel guides as well as a clock. There is a receptionist on duty at the Front Desk 24/7, who provides the guest with the time as well as wake up calls.
Kids’ forks and spoons are available on request however we will start displaying them at meal times.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your visit. Your comments will definitely be useful in improving our services here at FDR. We look forward to playing host to your family again very soon.

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just back from our second trip to the FDR and we were not disappointed again!!! Of course the first night, once again we sat at dinner and thought what have we gotten ourselves into. The first night always seems to be a little chaotic, we always go to dinner late and the food is gone and then the kids do not want to go down!!!

Then we get up the next morning and everything changes. I know many people start their postings with the same thing and then say the nannies arrive, but it is more than that. The nannies are wonderful... especially ELODINE, but it is more than that. The atmosphere is wonderful, it is great when your kids walk past all of the tables at breakfast and have to stop and say Hello to all of their friends. The bartenders know your drink before you even ask for it, the servers at breakfast knows your family wants the BIG coffee mugs, everyone talks to each other in the pool and on the beach and invites each other to dinner. When someone is getting married, they get on the intercom and invite everyone in the resort to their wedding. You not only have the opportunity to vacation as a family, but you can have some alone time. It is wonderful to run into the families from last year and see how much their kids have grown. The staff is what makes the FDR. It is great to go back to a resort after a year and see the same dedicated people working at the resort. Omercrye is wonderful!! He has taught us more about the island and it’s culture than anyone ever could, he made us feel like we had never left for a year!!!

Of course I have to address the nannies!! Elodine, is a god send!! My nephew was horribly sick last year with a double ear infection, which we did not know about, and she swung with him everyday in a hammock because that is all he wanted to do. This year he had breathing problems and she stayed with him, went and got the nurse and stayed late until we had it under control. Elodine went above and beyond this year, she stayed in the evenings after we were back to the room after dinner. She could have gone and waited for her friend in the back, but she stayed with us on the porch and talked to us every night. We had tried to call early and ask for Elodine and Patrina, but unfortunately Patrina had already been asked for. We saw Patrina everyday and she not only came up and gave kisses, but even came over once when she saw my little one was in distress to see what she could do to help. I wish we could whisk both of them away and bring them home with us.

Bonuses we take advantage of that no one talks about. Laundry for $10 a load, a nurse on the grounds all day and access to a doctor. Internet throughout the resort, low usage during the busy times of the day. The beach next door is easy to access, ask the guard to show you the way. Ask the nannies for the nightly activities throughout the week, the nights with shows are the nights to have the nannies stay for the evening.

Of course, if you are looking for the 5 star buffets, ice sculptures, and fountains, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a place you and your family will return to every year and look forward to it, this is the place for you!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Elmsdale, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have been to many all-inclusive resorts over the years and consider ourselves experienced travelers. I could easily write a book about our first visit to FDR but I’ll try to highlight the main points instead:

We arrived on April 16, 2013 for a seven night stay with our 3 children – 9 year old twins and a 16 month old toddler. We think this was low season as the hotel seemed less than 50% occupied (in our estimation), so please keep this in mind.

Check-in was very quick (less than 5 minutes). While our room was being refreshed, we were shown to the main dining area. There we met Samantha, our favorite server during our week long stay. She was very personable and attentive and we looked forward to seeing her every day at breakfast and lunch.

Less than 30 minutes after being seated and ordering our food, we met our WONDERFUL Nanny, Sharlene. We liked her immediately. She was bubbly and outgoing and our kids became comfortable with her almost instantly. In fact, after 10 minutes or so she was able to take all three kids to feed the bunnies and tour the resort so my husband and I could finish our lunch!

After we finished up, Sharlene showed us to our suite. To our surprise, FDR gave us a complimentary upgrade to a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, 2 level suite. While not as flashy or fancy as some of the other resorts we’ve stayed at, the suites at FDR are practical and definitely met the needs of our family.

We asked Sharlene to focus her efforts on our 16 month old and to just help us keep an eye on our 9 year olds throughout the week. FDR is a small enough resort that we felt comfortable allowing our older kids a little more freedom. However, on the second day, a representative from FDR came to us and said they didn’t think we were getting the full FDR experience and could they offer us a second Nanny for our older children for free? What!?! After some consideration, we relented and accepted the second Nanny, Judy-Anne. Again, she was a great match for our kids and acted more as an activity coordinator than a Nanny.

For the rest of the week Sharlene and Judy-Anne worked as a team with our children. Sharlene ran around with our toddler, took him swimming, played with him in the Kid’s Centre and Judy-Anne took our older children fishing, taught them to play pool and to make crafts. Their efforts allowed my husband and I to have the most relaxing vacation we’ve ever taken with the kids. Don’t get me wrong. We loved spending the first few hours each day as a family, then meeting again at lunch and at supper and periodically throughout the day for family activities (i.e. beach and/or pool time, goat races, etc.) but those couple of hours in between for “just us” were amazing.

Comay, the activity coordinator, kept us busy with various activities including pool volleyball, water aerobics, Dominoes, etc. and Dwaine, one of the many great bar tenders, kept our glasses full with yummy cocktails (I recommend the FDR Cosmo!). Oh, and I can’t forget to mention our afternoon games of Phase 10 with Marsha who makes great bracelets btw.

With regards to food, we had no problem feeding ourselves or our three children. The grill was a family favorite. Ask Bascoe to make you some samosas. They were great!

Overall, we think FDR’s small family oriented atmosphere is ideal and we highly recommend it! We are already planning to return :)

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I went for a weekend trip and was pleasantly surprised, I went in with zero expectations. The service was GREAT but Damien the bartender was not a pleasant person, maybe he was having a bad night because everyone else was great. The food was great, the room was good we got an upgrade which was cool. A little tip; this resort is for family couples, there's nothing for adults to do at night. The nannies are awesome! I don't know if I'd go back because I was kinda bored in the evenings but who knows plus it's a little rustic. It's great for kids and the service and nannies are great.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
These guests travelled without kids and only stayed with us for one night from April 20-21, 2013. The house count was somewhat low so these guests did not get the FDR experience in its entirety.

We had our big reggae band, Gala Jamaica Buffet and Pool Party by the main bar, but as always we have to be aware that some guests love to party on a Saturday Night while others go to bed early because they just arrived.

We are surprised to learn of your dissatisfaction with this particular bartender as we always get good reports on him. We sincerely apologize that you left with other than a good impression of him. At FDR, we always try and bend over backwards to please each and every guest.

We appreciate your comments and trust you will visit with us again in the near future.
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife, two-year old daughter and I booked with FDR after reading extensive trip advisor reviews. I can whole-heartedly say that FDR was the perfect resort for what we were looking for. In fact, it tugged at our heart-strings when we had to leave.

The best testimonial is probably that of my wife who, for the first time since we had our daughter says she actually feels refreshed from a vacation and is ready to tackle life with a busy toddler again. We’ve already contemplated returning next year, which we never do (too many places to see in the world!)

I’d summarize it as follows, which appeals to some people, but not all: (a) rustic, old charm (not a modern, squeaky clean complex); (b) smaller, more intimate setting (boutique hotel with far fewer guests, which means fewer restaurants, pools, etc.) You actually become friendly with the other guests because of the smaller size; (c) built as a destination for parents with young kids who really want to enjoy time together as family (ie- kids toys everywhere by pool and on the beach; private, full-time nanny from beginning of trip until the end; endless kids activities; protected cove for kids to swim in, rather than a long walking beach); (d) a local experience, not a slice of Americana (great local food and entertainment; pretty good‘American’ kids food); (e) some of the most accommodating and happiest staff I’ve ever encountered (also including very accommodating management – we were upgraded several levels in our accommodation to a two-floor unit because of a noise issue we told them about); (f) room quality varies widely (some smaller rooms are older and less renovated, but the larger are very nice); and (g) very good adult activities, for when you use the nannys and want some time on your own (top scuba shop/training on site; great bicycle tours, etc. – but, again, some older equipment)

Overall, if you go with the right mindset, and don’t mind a more authentic ‘rough’ around the edges feel, this place is a gem. The private nanny service is unlike anything we’ve experienced elsewhere...what a remarkable service. The kids have a great time on their own and the parents get a much needed break. FDR has found a market niche and really deliver on it.

Berlin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Small but sweet. Perfect size for me, but if you like a big playground to play in, this resort isnt for you. Its perfect for families, the kids have so many activities that the wonderful nanny's do with them that they have no problem falling asleep at night, for minimum fee, you can hire for evenings also. During the day between certain hours(8) is no charge and they do everything for you and your kids. Also its the same nanny everyday unless she has a day off during your stay. The biggest downfall of this resort is that there really isnt a beach, its a cove made up of two sections, you are able to go on the property next door, I believe its breezes, and swim in their beautiful beach but only nearest to FDR property and there is a security guard that is there watching you, a lil intimating, other than that I had a wonderful beautiful vacation. They are very accomedating to you. It also is not a party resort it is very much a family oriented resort. Everything closed down at 11pm, if you want to party you needed to go next door to breezes and worse that can happen as to what I can gather is that they tell you to leave.

Room Tip: They all pretty much have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the moment you arrive the warmth is apparent. Your very own Vacation Nanny is assigned to your family from 9 Am - 4:45 PM at no additional cost to you. The Nanny plays, pampers, feeds and cares for your children. f you have a special needs child they cater to all and you get the needed break too. Even better if you have children of differing ages, you can hire a second Nanny for only $25 per day. If you want to play with your children just let the Nanny know and she will meet you where you want to go. The rooms are all suites and each of our bedrooms measured a tleast 16 x 16 (if not larger) Our spotless bathrooms were stocked with full size shower gels and shampoo. Our full size kitchen was personally stocked with all one could ask for, from juice, fresh cut fruit, wine, juices sodas, etc. The slides are fun for the children. The atmosphere is personal as is the entertainment. From Fishing to Snorkeling, Sailing to Aqua dancing it is calm and fun. The entertainment is from local people and the Franklin D Resort gives you the neighborhood feeling with parents relaxing together around the bar and delicious grill to play a box game, sing Kareokee or just chat. Kids have contests like Muscle man, Little Miss and Goat Rides as well as arts and crafts and cooking. Do not come for here is you are looking for crazy night life or Las Vegas style shows. Do come if you want to relax and enjoy. The owner and staff are warm and inviting. They discount heavily for special needs families. Did I mention their flexibility? You can eat in the private We were the only ones there with a special needs child of 16 and it was great!!! Thank you for a nice trip!!

Room Tip: all are great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!