“No Problem Mon, beautiful resort and wonderful service from A to Z” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Berlin, New Jersey
“No Problem Mon, beautiful resort and wonderful service from A to Z”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Small but sweet. Perfect size for me, but if you like a big playground to play in, this resort isnt for you. Its perfect for families, the kids have so many activities that the wonderful nanny's do with them that they have no problem falling asleep at night, for minimum fee, you can hire for evenings also. During the day between certain hours(8) is no charge and they do everything for you and your kids. Also its the same nanny everyday unless she has a day off during your stay. The biggest downfall of this resort is that there really isnt a beach, its a cove made up of two sections, you are able to go on the property next door, I believe its breezes, and swim in their beautiful beach but only nearest to FDR property and there is a security guard that is there watching you, a lil intimating, other than that I had a wonderful beautiful vacation. They are very accomedating to you. It also is not a party resort it is very much a family oriented resort. Everything closed down at 11pm, if you want to party you needed to go next door to breezes and worse that can happen as to what I can gather is that they tell you to leave.

Room Tip: They all pretty much have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the moment you arrive the warmth is apparent. Your very own Vacation Nanny is assigned to your family from 9 Am - 4:45 PM at no additional cost to you. The Nanny plays, pampers, feeds and cares for your children. f you have a special needs child they cater to all and you get the needed break too. Even better if you have children of differing ages, you can hire a second Nanny for only $25 per day. If you want to play with your children just let the Nanny know and she will meet you where you want to go. The rooms are all suites and each of our bedrooms measured a tleast 16 x 16 (if not larger) Our spotless bathrooms were stocked with full size shower gels and shampoo. Our full size kitchen was personally stocked with all one could ask for, from juice, fresh cut fruit, wine, juices sodas, etc. The slides are fun for the children. The atmosphere is personal as is the entertainment. From Fishing to Snorkeling, Sailing to Aqua dancing it is calm and fun. The entertainment is from local people and the Franklin D Resort gives you the neighborhood feeling with parents relaxing together around the bar and delicious grill to play a box game, sing Kareokee or just chat. Kids have contests like Muscle man, Little Miss and Goat Rides as well as arts and crafts and cooking. Do not come for here is you are looking for crazy night life or Las Vegas style shows. Do come if you want to relax and enjoy. The owner and staff are warm and inviting. They discount heavily for special needs families. Did I mention their flexibility? You can eat in the private We were the only ones there with a special needs child of 16 and it was great!!! Thank you for a nice trip!!

Room Tip: all are great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family and I have just returned from our vacation to FDR. This is our second visit and we are still loving it. When the decision was to be made on the choice of hotel, and although we have been to others, FDR received all our votes. I am particularly impressed with their nanny service. As a mother of 3 , I am very careful where my children go and whose company they are in, but FDR as really put my mind at ease.

Room Tip: "Choose your favourite nanny way ahead of your schedule visit"
Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I made the decision to go to FDR based entirely on the reviews I read online. Going forward I will do a more indept research before making a decision. The FDR was not a good choice for us. My family and I did not enjoy our five day stay. Once we got off the bus from the Airport we wondered what did I do! The entrance to the resort is not welcoming at all. We try to make the best of it, but the room was shabby at best, the foodz served is nothing to write about, there is no beach, the pool is the only activity area. My kids didn't need a nanny. There was basically nothing to do all day. The amenities in the room are out of Noah's ark. The activity areas around the small property is out dated. No kidding!! It was a poor choice. We have been to a number of the other resorts on Jamaica's North coast for Spring Break over the years, FDR is by far the worst we have been to.

Just my honest and frank opinion. Never going back here. Jamaica yes, FDR NO WAY!

Room Tip: I really couldn't do that. The bed we slept on was broken. We couldn't move without it mak...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
This family stayed from March 25-30, 2013 and booked in at the Local Resident's Rate. Their suite was found to have one bedpost unstable and this would normally be identified and corrected by the nanny but the family declined the nanny service at check-in because their kids were big. We are really sorry that this occurred during the family’s visit and had they pointed it out to management the problem would have been dealt with during their stay. The problem was fixed right after the family departed.

Our efforts at improving the FDR family holiday never ceases. We have recently re-done the entrance drive way, the tennis court and also put new railings on the 100ft waterslide.

The comment card completed by the guests upon departure rated the guest room and overall hotel facilities a 4 out of 5. The staff here felt that this family had a great time overall.

We do appreciate your comments and will keep on our toes to ensure that we provide 100% guest satisfaction.

We trust that this family will visit with us again in the near future.
cpf172
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just returned from our first vacation to Jamaica/FDR. I am writing this review for parents of children with diabetes since I didn't see any on this site before we went. Our seven year-old has type 1 diabetes and it is always very stressful to travel with his condition, but within 24 hours of arriving at FDR, we felt truly relaxed.

First and foremost the service you receive at the resort from both your nanny and the rest of the staff is excellent. Our nanny (Patrina) had not dealt with diabetes before, but after a quick crash course at the beginning of the vacation, she did not put a foot wrong. The nannies have a common sense and natural ability with children that is amazing. They are also incredibly proactive. For instance, without asking, our nanny set an alarm on her cell phone for my son's scheduled blood-sugar checks.

There is a nurse on site from 9-5 who is very knowledgeable about local doctors and the best hospitals. They also had an extra glucose meter in the clinic.

Your nanny will stock your fridge with snacks and drinks, including juice, fruit and diet soda. The resort also provided us with carb-free snacks which we forgot (nuts, cheese etc.) The bar tenders made my son special sugar-free drinks using the Mio liquid and Crystal Light we brought with us. The Smoothie Bar also made special order lower-sugar drinks.

My son can eat gluten, but there seemed to be a lot of gluten-free options at every meal. Given how responsive the staff is, I am sure the kitchen would accommodate a special diet.

The best thing about the entire vacation, of course, is that you can really relax during that long lunch, spa treatment, or reading a book, knowing that your child is being watched over and kept safe. The resort is also small, so you never feel as if your kids are too far away. We saw other families there who had children with special needs who said they return again and again.

Both of our kids had a great time with all of the activities, both scheduled and unscheduled, from goat and crab races, kite-making, dress-up night, Easter egg hunts, chicken-chasing, water slides, digging for hermit crabs and exploring the rock pools.

As most of the reviews state, the condition of the property is not perfect, but it is clean and charming and the rooms are spacious and airy. We were in a duplex with a balcony next to the pool. The pool is noisy, but there are many corners to which you can escape for some peace and quiet, including the hammocks, the Pier and the far-end of the resort beach, or the property next door.

There are lots of day trips you can do, but we became very lazy once we relaxed. We hope to be back next year and explore Jamaica a little more, instead of staying on the resort 24/7. It is a beautiful country!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The reviews really tell you what to expect - I'm writing this partly for my own reference when making a vacation choice next year. My kids are 4 years and 18 months, and I think Franklyn D was the ideal vacation for my family. I hope we can bring the grandparents and cousins next year. It is indeed a little run down - just be prepared - you can tell from the photos. It was what I expected; it took my hubby a day to get used to it. But this did not detract at all from our fun. In fact in many ways it was better. For example the playground is a hodge-podge of plastic structures - but on the bright side it has lots of variety and plenty of shade - that is something you don't often find. The resort is quite small - you don't go out for an hour long walk to explore the complex - but on the other hand this is perfect when your four year old wants to do a new activity every 20 minutes, or when you forgot to bring a diaper from the room. Small is friendly and convenient. In any one day I would end up leaving my shoes at the beach, a floatie at the pool, a hat at the kids' club, etc - it was no big deal to go and fetch things, and they were always where I left them. All the guests in the place are families with little kids so no one would take your floatie. The beach is indeed small, and it's true there is a rocky area about ten feet from shore - but on the plus side, the rocks give little kids things to explore and collect, and are a barrier to wading out too far. For swimmers, there is a path cleared that you can walk to through get to deeper water. The beach also has lots of shade. To demonstrate the advantage of the small size: one day my husband and four year old daughter and I were sitting in the bar playing a game, and the four year old said "can I go and get something to eat from the grill?" We looked at each other and then said OK. Off she went, and came back with an ice cream cone. OK, you can see the grill from the bar - but she's four! Either we are bad parents or this is really a friendly place. We would never have done that at Iberostar!
As others have said, the beach next door is the classic endless white sand, and it's just on the other side of a fence, no long trip to get there (as some reviewers have said - I don't understand that). We didn't spend much time there because there's no shade.
Kids' activities were fun. Our girl enjoyed being in dress up shows and talent shows in the evening or just dancing with other kids on the stage after dinner. We never ended up staying up late enough for the grown up entertainment but it sounded great. (Oh it is loud in some of the rooms- we brought a white noise machine and our baby slept right through the karaoke and life bands)
We liked that all the guests were in a similar place in life - parents with young kids, splurging on a trip to Jamaica that is pretty kid-focused. We got to know some of the other parents and our daughter made quick friends with some other little girls.
About the food: we really enjoyed it. Our past resort experience has been to so-called five stars: Karisma, Iberostar and Dreams. These are all much larger and have massive buffets where the fruit is stacked in sculptures and the butter is carved into a swan and so on... but we have always been disappointed with the food. Looks fancy, tastes like margarine. At FDR the buffet is more simple - more like a big wedding buffet - but good. The chef knows how to cook, with real ingredients. Always something we could enjoy and we were not sick of the food even at the end of the week. The kids buffet was better than I expected - you could put together a healthy meal there - including steamed veggies, pasta with tomato sauce, fruit, bbq chicken - in addition to the more typical hot dogs and fries to fill up the picky ones. There were plenty of choices for them at the regular buffet as well, of course.
Drinks were surprisingly good! We tried all the cocktails we could think of, and all were better than at those other five stars, where they often tasted of powdered bar mix or artificial fruit flavours. Regarding wine: yes the house wine is terrible - it is always terrible at an all inclusive, isn't it? That has been our experience so FDR is right in line with the five star resorts I've mentioned. We bought a bottle a couple of nights - it was so worth it - but did we ever feel guilty realizing the bottle of wine is worth more than a whole day's pay for a nanny.
Oh and speaking of guilt, another good thing about a small resort is that there's less waste. It's true that there were just barely enough beach towels - sometimes we had to ask or wait for a clean one - but isn't that better then every guest cycling through a new one every time they get out of the pool? Sometimes you would have to wait for a platter at the buffet to be refilled (never for too long) - isn't that better than mounds of beautifully sculpted food sitting out and then being thrown away? I should mention that we were there the week before Easter, and the hotel was full. Service was very good despite this, and we were able to sit by the pool on the odd occasion that we wanted to - we would just move a flip flop from a "reserved" chair and put it back when we were done! (Another reason the towels were all gone - they were all busy saving chairs).
I hope to go back next year. If you can do without glitz and polish, I recommend FDR!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Franklyn D. Resort is an older property of very large, but slightly shabby rooms. I hesitate to write shabby in fear it will turn some people off, because the shabbiness gave the resort a cozy and quaint feel. We booked a one bedroom, but were upgraded two a two bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom suite after a three hour wait for our room to be ready. The three-hour wait was worth it for the spacious upgrade with a balcony overlooking the pool and with an ocean view. The abundant foliage on the property was beautiful. The staff were all kind and accommodating. The food was very good; nothing fancy, but abundant and had the feel of local cuisine. The best part of the resort is the Nanny service and activities. Each family is assigned a Nanny and you may book more than one. We had one for our three children ages 8, 10 and 12 and she was wonderful. (Thank you, Korona!) She was involved with the kids and suggested activities but was never intrusive or pushy. The activities were broken down into four age groups: kiddies, pre-teen, teen and adult. There was always something to do or not....you could chose to just hang out at the pool or beach. The little gift shop had everything you may have forgotten plus some reasonably-priced souvenirs. The one downside was the hot water heater for our building was broken and we had to take cold showers for the entire stay. However, everything else made up for it and I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites are the most spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!