“Selected FDR resorts due to the great reviews...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Selected FDR resorts due to the great reviews...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I selected FDR resorts due to the great reviews. I was not impressed and very disappointed. I strongly believe your feeling regarding your stay is directly related to the attentiveness and interaction of the nanny. We never developed a personal connection with ours. She did not keep our fridge stocked. I saw her watching TV on 3 occasions. I would have liked her to stay with us more with our son instead of taking him away. As for the rest of our experience;

Pros:
*Large Rooms, we stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 1/2 bath 2 story room. A full kitchen, and large patio with the view of the ocean. It was very convenient with our one year old.
*Great View of the Ocean
*Lots of toys on the beach and several play areas
*Beautiful white sand beach on the other side of the fence
*Complimentary Shopping Excursion was nice
*Snorkeling was a fun experience

Cons:
*Air Conditioning did not work in the bedroom for the first day
*The Jacuzzi did not work for the entire 7 day trip
*The gift shop did not carry small enough shirts for my son to tye-die
*We requested a glass bottom boat ride 3 days in a row and finally gave up
*Bartender(one specifically) was extremely rude and unwilling to make drinks
*The pool got dirtier everyday, by day 7 I didn't even want to go in, there was a odd film and you could not even see through the water. The water slides were never going.
*I called ahead to make sure soy milk would be available(son is allergic to milk) was told it would be readily available. And it was not. It was not stocked in our fridge and when we needed it, we had to wait until someone went to the store to get it.
*The gym is open-air! Talk about "sweating it out". Only one treadmill worked properly. The rest of the equipment looked so dirty, I did not touch it. It was not staffed or stocked with towels and/or water.
*Lack of activities. (We understood that the beginning of September would be a slow time, but we had to get everyone together and ask staff members to make any activities happen)

All in all, there were some okay parts and most of the staff was accommodating. But I would not recommend this resort. And did not find my vacation relaxing due to the fact I was always stressed about something that was wrong.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We do appreciate our guest sending in their comments because we see it as an opportunity to do better.

We do regret that the guests found their Nanny to be less than acceptable . This is not the standard of FDR, as we usually get great reviews on our Nannies and their dissatisfaction is most unusual. We want to assure that steps have been taken to ensure that this does not recur.

Our records show that the guest requested Flaming shots at the bar and this was denied because there are lots of little kids around and we do not allow flaming shots. We regret that they thought the bartender was rude but she was only following the instructions of Management.

We did have a problem with the Jacuzzi which is now fixed. The water slide however, was operational twice per day. Our glass bottom boat trips goes out twice per day once the water is calm and our log book shows that these guests went on a Glass bottom and snorkel cruise along with the guests in room 104 on the 4th of September. Both our pools are chemically tested twice per day as required by Law and the readings during your stay were always in line. Our resident photographer took some photos of the guests while they were staying with us and he has one showing the guest enjoying the pool and slide with his son.

The Gym consists of two (2) new treadmills in addition to two older treadmills. The treadmills were found today to be working properly. The Gym also consists of a recently purchased new multi-purpose weight machine, new bench presses and weights.

With regards to the Soy milk, our records show that one box of soy milk and a 1 litre of bottle water was in the suite on the day of the guests arrival. Additionally two (2) boxes of soy milk and a 1 litre of water was sent to the suite everyday during the guests stay.

The Gift shop was out of stock on infant size t-shirts, but our staff would have readily Tye dyed any t-shirt brought to them by the parents.

We again thank our guest for placing their comments in writing. Here at FDR we believe in 100% guest satisfaction and we always try to achieve this standard by all means possible. We will endeavor to do better and we trust that they will visit with us again in the near future.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Our second trip to FDR was almost as good as our first. Our family really enjoyed ourselves, and we hope to be able to return soon. There had been a few changes since our first visit in October 2009, but mostly things were as we had expected.

Here are some general observations about things we liked and things we would have changed:

•Our nannies, Shardene and Carmelina were excellent. They were very good with our children who can be quite difficult at times. They really made our vacation fun and enjoyable.

•Our daughter has issues with gluten in her diet, but the kitchen staff couldn’t have been more helpful. We were able to bring in a gluten-free pizza dough mix that they were able to make multiple personal-sized pizzas for her to enjoy throughout the week. Additionally, they made her gluten-free cookies from a different mix that we brought. The head chef was quite easy to work with and definitely made our vacation easier. Thank you!

•Since there were more people there than from our last visit, they were able to open up more venues for lunch and dinner. The Cotton Tree Grill was open every day, so that was a nice option for lunch. Additionally, having two options for dinner was nice as well. I did miss having a fully plated lunch with menus as lunches were buffet style instead, but I’m guessing that’s a function of the number of people. Overproof is easily my favorite restaurant.

•We took the opportunity to stay in the same room that we had stayed in last time so we knew what we were getting. However, we were surprised that they had removed the bathtub from the bathroom and replaced it with a shower. Fortunately, my kids are old enough to be able to take showers now, but I can see that this would be an issue with younger kids. Additionally, there is very little to keep shower water from spraying on the bathroom floors. We were constantly using towels to keep everything from being a mess. Hopefully, FDR will reconsider the use of a bathtub for their rooms.

•The water levels in the pools were lower than they had been. We were told that this was because there was a drought condition in the area and water levels were lower than normal. The drawback to this was that the water level was a few inches below the skimmer levels for the pool, so it wasn’t cleaning itself as effectively as it could have. While the lifeguards did an excellent job at continuously removing debris that fell in, the overall cleanliness of the pools would probably go up if they could use the built in filtration systems.

•The pool area ran out of towels on two different days during our visit, so we were dripping all over our room when we came in for the evening. The nannies were very good at supplying supplemental towels when that happened, but it’s unfortunate that more blue pool towels weren’t available at the pool.

•It’s too bad that there aren’t any fans near Overproof restaurant. It can get really hot if there isn’t a breeze.

•Very few fresh mangoes compared to last time. We were told that they weren’t in season so they were difficult to obtain. I love mangoes, so this was something of a disappointment.

•There is a menu at the bar if you want to try some new drinks that you’ve never tried before. Just ask the bartender.

•We still love lying in the hammocks over near the spa.

•There did not appear to be a personal trainer on staff any longer; if there was, we never spoke with him.

•I was not pleased with the staff member who asked if I could go up to the bar and bring back two beers for him, especially given that I was sitting at the pool watching my kids at the time. Granted, that was a onetime incident, he did make me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

•There was a plumbing issue with our sink where it would turn on by itself sometimes, and then turn back off. When we reported this, a mechanic came quickly to take a look but could not replicate the problem. However, it occurred intermittently during the week. While this didn’t take away from our experience, it was worth noting.

Did we have a good time? Yes we did. We would come back. We would recommend it to others. It sounds like I’m complaining about the issues above, but I’m really not. I just wanted to note some of our thoughts for FDR management (since I know that they monitor Tripadvisor closely) and for people who may not have been to FDR for awhile. It’s a great resort and a great place to take your vacation. Maybe, they’ll be able to implement some of the changes to make it even better.

See you next time!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We would like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff at the Franklyn D Resort & Spa and we are especially happy to hear that you enjoyed our authentic Jamaican Overproof Restaurant.

We are in the process of putting in fixed glass for half of the shower opening and this will stop the spill of water over onto the floor. We will also keep enough rooms with bathtubs for families with smaller kids.

We apologize for the sink acting up on during your stay, but it has been fixed and It is now working properly.

The mango season came in early this year and as a result the Mangoes were finished by mid August. We know that Mangoes are a favourite and we served mangoes at breakfast, lunch and at the bar when they were available. As a matter of fact we purchased and used 68kg’s of mangoes during your stay.

We do apologize that the pool towels were not readily available but they were constantly replenished during the day.

We regret that you were made to feel uncomfortable by staff asking you to secure drinks for them at the bar. We do not tolerate this and it is cause for instant dismissal. We assure you that this is being investigated.

We trust that the foregoing inconveniences will not mar your otherwise good impression of FDR and we trust that you will visit us again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

FDR provided the perfect atmosphere for a restorative vacation. A tropical setting with quiet areas as well as opportunities for interaction with staff and others guests. The mixture of a variety of local food allows guests to try new foods. The snorkeling trip staff was excellent !

• Stayed March 2012
Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed here October 2011 and as I stated when we first arrived I was very unhappy with the state of the resort. But I wanted to write a review for those people looking into going here, so you will be well informed. The resort is old and outdated and in desperate need of a makeover. Our sink broke on us most of the trip, the shower head kept coming off and splashing water everywhere! The ac was strange, it would cycle on really cold and then turn off and you wouldn't be able to turn it back on for a while. But it was a clean room and there were no bugs in our room, which made me very happy!
As far as food goes, we were a little disappointed in the food, it was a little tasteless or it all tasted the same. Definitely need a better beer selection, but the rum drinks were awesome. I loved the service they offer where you can request certain grocery items and they will bring them to your room or place them in the fridge for you.
The biggest complaint we had was the lack of activities offered, we stayed during the slow season, so they decided to cancel most of the activities and did not open all restaurants. So we spent most of our time drinking and playing board games on the pier...which by the way is fine for us!
Now the thing we loved the most about this place, was the staff. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 people, we loved the staff! They were friendly and went out of their way for you. One night we wanted to do dinner alone on the pier with candles and they set it all up for us. Everyone greeted us and took time to talk to us every day. We were sad to leave our new friends behind!
So all in all we were pretty happy with our trip here and look forward to bringing our son next time to experience the nanny service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London,England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early Aug with our 16 month son and we were so disappointed with the overall experience that we decided to move resorts half way through the trip (first time ever and we are seasoned travellers).

I read all the reviews before deciding to book the vacation and knew it wasn't going to be a 5 star resort but for what we paid the food, drinks, property and the way in which the owner (Frank) spoke to us when we highlighted some issues was terrible.

Firstly the pros:-
- our nanny Latasha was wonderful. She took care of our son really well and clearly enjoyed her job
- the staff are very helpful and friendly
- no mosquitos

Now the cons:-
- the food is TERRIBLE. There was no flavour or taste to most of what we ate
- the resort is really old and needs a total make over
- there is no back up generator so when the AC goes out (as it often can in the Caribbean) the AC doesn't work in the room (not a pleasant nights sleep)
- the hot water is generated via solar power so when there is no sun there is no hot water! We had to give our son a bath in tepid water on 2 occassions
- the kiddies pool is very small and not really a pool....not really sure how to describe it

When we asked to speak with the owner to discuss some of our concerns he could not have been more rude to us. He essentially told us that he "didn't want our money" and if we didn't like the resort we could leave - so we did. We went to Grand Bahia which was 10 mins down the road and beautiful.

When I spoke with a number of other staff members they told us that it's more common for people to get to the resort and leave immediately and that many other guests had done what we did as they didn't think the quality of the resort was what they had paid for.

Finally, my son caught the Coxsackie virus the day after we left FDR and although I can't say for sure it was from there my hunch is that it was given the resort did not seem that clean.

I agree that the nanny service is great but I wasn't planning on having the nanny look after my son for a majority of the holiday anyway - we decided upon FDR as it meant an extra pair of hands when we needed it.

We went to Club Med Sandpiper in April this year and I have to say that was a far better holiday hands down. I am very disappointed with FDR and certainly will never be returning.

Room Tip: Our room did have a lovely view of the ocean
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Better believe all the good reviews about this place. This was the best family vacation we ever had! And it is thanks to all the employees in this resort who know what service is, but especially our nanny Tania!

Our 5 and 3 year old children immediately took a liking to her, and she made it possible for my wife and me to spend a lot of time with just the two of us, even doing excursions like an ATV ride or going shopping in Ocho Rios without the kids (although we also did a lot of stuff with our kids of course). So this was relaxing and fun for all of us. They have separate programs for children, pre-teens and teens, and a kids club if the weather isn't so good with PCs, game computers and toys, which our children loved.

The resort itself has very nice facilities, a swimming pool, a small and a big water slide, a small beach (cove) with shallow water perfect for children and a bigger beach next door perfect for adults. Food at the resort is nice and tasty but not top notch, although the beach and Jamaican buffets twice a week were very nice. Nice also is that they have a grill place that is open all day and evening until midnight where you can get burgers, fries, pizzas, patties etc. which is great if your kids don't like the regular food served, or if you are hungry outside of dining hours. They also have nightly entertainment which ranged from ok to nice.

We had a one-bedroom which was kept immaculately clean by our nanny and which was big and comfortable. It had a TV in each room, and a DVD player in the main room as well. Beds were great. There is Wifi in the rooms and in the resort with fast internet speed.

Also nice is that this resort is close to several nice excursion opportunities like Ocho Rios (Dunn River Falls, Mystic Mountain, Dolphin Cove are all only 20 minutes away) and along the north coast (Chukka adventure tours, Green Grotto Caves, Outameni), and the resort can arrange excursions to all of them. We had a rental car though and did all of our excursions on our own, but the front desk was very helpful with information when we planned them.

We also met the owner of the place who is very down to earth, and who knows that the main thing about this place is the excellent service there. We loved this place and we will definitely be back, if not next year then the year after!

Canfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This post is a long time coming...my wife and I traveled to FDR in Nov 2011...We loved it.Our little boy fell in love with his nanny,Miss Lisa...he still talks about her to this day.It was a great balance of alone time as a couple along with time as a family with a nanny to help watch our boy.We like traditional island cuisine..the jerk chicken was to die for...some food items were simply okay,but the overall experience was fantastic.We met so many return visitors and know why....this place caters to families,especially ones with small ones.We had planned to go back this year,but travel plans changed...We will be back it was just that great!We truly felt like a big family...all the staff and the other visitors meld into a family with one thing in mind...Have a great time and make certain the children have fun and are safe...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!