“A truly relaxing vacation with a feeling of being part of family. The facilty, variety of food, welcoming owners and friendly st” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

FDR provided the perfect atmosphere for a restorative vacation. A tropical setting with quiet areas as well as opportunities for interaction with staff and others guests. The mixture of a variety of local food allows guests to try new foods. The snorkeling trip staff was excellent !

• Stayed March 2012

500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My fiancée and I stayed here October 2011 and as I stated when we first arrived I was very unhappy with the state of the resort. But I wanted to write a review for those people looking into going here, so you will be well informed. The resort is old and outdated and in desperate need of a makeover. Our sink broke on us most of the trip, the shower head kept coming off and splashing water everywhere! The ac was strange, it would cycle on really cold and then turn off and you wouldn't be able to turn it back on for a while. But it was a clean room and there were no bugs in our room, which made me very happy!
As far as food goes, we were a little disappointed in the food, it was a little tasteless or it all tasted the same. Definitely need a better beer selection, but the rum drinks were awesome. I loved the service they offer where you can request certain grocery items and they will bring them to your room or place them in the fridge for you.
The biggest complaint we had was the lack of activities offered, we stayed during the slow season, so they decided to cancel most of the activities and did not open all restaurants. So we spent most of our time drinking and playing board games on the pier...which by the way is fine for us!
Now the thing we loved the most about this place, was the staff. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 people, we loved the staff! They were friendly and went out of their way for you. One night we wanted to do dinner alone on the pier with candles and they set it all up for us. Everyone greeted us and took time to talk to us every day. We were sad to leave our new friends behind!
So all in all we were pretty happy with our trip here and look forward to bringing our son next time to experience the nanny service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London,England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early Aug with our 16 month son and we were so disappointed with the overall experience that we decided to move resorts half way through the trip (first time ever and we are seasoned travellers).

I read all the reviews before deciding to book the vacation and knew it wasn't going to be a 5 star resort but for what we paid the food, drinks, property and the way in which the owner (Frank) spoke to us when we highlighted some issues was terrible.

Firstly the pros:-
- our nanny Latasha was wonderful. She took care of our son really well and clearly enjoyed her job
- the staff are very helpful and friendly
- no mosquitos

Now the cons:-
- the food is TERRIBLE. There was no flavour or taste to most of what we ate
- the resort is really old and needs a total make over
- there is no back up generator so when the AC goes out (as it often can in the Caribbean) the AC doesn't work in the room (not a pleasant nights sleep)
- the hot water is generated via solar power so when there is no sun there is no hot water! We had to give our son a bath in tepid water on 2 occassions
- the kiddies pool is very small and not really a pool....not really sure how to describe it

When we asked to speak with the owner to discuss some of our concerns he could not have been more rude to us. He essentially told us that he "didn't want our money" and if we didn't like the resort we could leave - so we did. We went to Grand Bahia which was 10 mins down the road and beautiful.

When I spoke with a number of other staff members they told us that it's more common for people to get to the resort and leave immediately and that many other guests had done what we did as they didn't think the quality of the resort was what they had paid for.

Finally, my son caught the Coxsackie virus the day after we left FDR and although I can't say for sure it was from there my hunch is that it was given the resort did not seem that clean.

I agree that the nanny service is great but I wasn't planning on having the nanny look after my son for a majority of the holiday anyway - we decided upon FDR as it meant an extra pair of hands when we needed it.

We went to Club Med Sandpiper in April this year and I have to say that was a far better holiday hands down. I am very disappointed with FDR and certainly will never be returning.

Room Tip: Our room did have a lovely view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Better believe all the good reviews about this place. This was the best family vacation we ever had! And it is thanks to all the employees in this resort who know what service is, but especially our nanny Tania!

Our 5 and 3 year old children immediately took a liking to her, and she made it possible for my wife and me to spend a lot of time with just the two of us, even doing excursions like an ATV ride or going shopping in Ocho Rios without the kids (although we also did a lot of stuff with our kids of course). So this was relaxing and fun for all of us. They have separate programs for children, pre-teens and teens, and a kids club if the weather isn't so good with PCs, game computers and toys, which our children loved.

The resort itself has very nice facilities, a swimming pool, a small and a big water slide, a small beach (cove) with shallow water perfect for children and a bigger beach next door perfect for adults. Food at the resort is nice and tasty but not top notch, although the beach and Jamaican buffets twice a week were very nice. Nice also is that they have a grill place that is open all day and evening until midnight where you can get burgers, fries, pizzas, patties etc. which is great if your kids don't like the regular food served, or if you are hungry outside of dining hours. They also have nightly entertainment which ranged from ok to nice.

We had a one-bedroom which was kept immaculately clean by our nanny and which was big and comfortable. It had a TV in each room, and a DVD player in the main room as well. Beds were great. There is Wifi in the rooms and in the resort with fast internet speed.

Also nice is that this resort is close to several nice excursion opportunities like Ocho Rios (Dunn River Falls, Mystic Mountain, Dolphin Cove are all only 20 minutes away) and along the north coast (Chukka adventure tours, Green Grotto Caves, Outameni), and the resort can arrange excursions to all of them. We had a rental car though and did all of our excursions on our own, but the front desk was very helpful with information when we planned them.

We also met the owner of the place who is very down to earth, and who knows that the main thing about this place is the excellent service there. We loved this place and we will definitely be back, if not next year then the year after!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Canfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This post is a long time coming...my wife and I traveled to FDR in Nov 2011...We loved it.Our little boy fell in love with his nanny,Miss Lisa...he still talks about her to this day.It was a great balance of alone time as a couple along with time as a family with a nanny to help watch our boy.We like traditional island cuisine..the jerk chicken was to die for...some food items were simply okay,but the overall experience was fantastic.We met so many return visitors and know why....this place caters to families,especially ones with small ones.We had planned to go back this year,but travel plans changed...We will be back it was just that great!We truly felt like a big family...all the staff and the other visitors meld into a family with one thing in mind...Have a great time and make certain the children have fun and are safe...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a great time, very friendly and accomodating staff, I go every year with either friends or family, When my son was little we had the Nanny and she was great when he got older her participated in the teen club and also had a good time. Last year I went with my cousin and her son and he wanted to take the nanny home with him, Althea is the nanny my sister requests everytime she goes there she is great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the FDR 07/16/2012 -07/23/2012 and we are very impressed with the resort & it's staff. We had previously researched the FDR online & felt it would be perfect for us because of the vacation nanny service. We have 2 small children ages 2 & 4 and vacationing is usually still a lot of work. We arrived at the hotel late, but still received a warm welcome at the front desk & our needs were met right away. We stayed in a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite & it was perfect for my family. The rooms are large & very clean. There were 2 beds in the living area & also a crib for the baby. We really liked being able to have our own separate sleeping quarters & not have to worry about the safety of our children. The style of the resort is antiquated, but we found it beautiful & very comfortable. We had a problem with the hairdryer not working properly & was immediately fixed when I brought it to our nanny's attention. The rooms were always very clean.The refridgerator was always stocked with whatever we wanted. We weren't sure how comfortable we would be leaving our children in the care of a stranger, but after the first morning we knew we had nothing to worry about. Our children loved their assigned nanny, Donette. My 2 year old is rarely comfortable around people outside of the family, but he bonded with her right away. Donette made sure my children were well cared for, but also doing activities they wanted to do, afterall, it was their vacation too. The resort is fairly small & we thought we might get bored, but there are scheduled activities daily for the children, teens, and adults & we actually didn't get to do everything we wanted to do in the time we had.
The service here is top notch. Every single staff member at this resort was friendly, helpful, & professional & exceeded expectations consistently. The food is good & the drinks are great. We enjoyed the themed dinners on the beach & my children were happy that they could order pasta, their favorite. The pool was also clean here & the kids pool is perfect for very small children like mine. The glass bottom boat ride is very nice, "Thank you, Captain Freddy." The beach is small, but you can go over to the beach next door, which we did twice with no problems & it was just so beautiful & the swimming was great. I would strongly recommend this resort for people with small children & would strongly recommend Donette, whom you are able to request. She is extremely professional and experienced and really made our family's stay here wonderful. I do have to say we noticed that the nanny staff is very good at what they do & every nanny kept a watchful eye on the children. We will be back to this resort because of the impeccable service, relaxing atmosphere, and nanny service. This was truly a vacation where we were able to relax. Thank you, FDR staff & a special thank you to Donette, Andre, & Shavon for your wonderful service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!