“Fantastic for families with little ones” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Franklyn D Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Franklyn D Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Franklyn D Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street, Runaway Bay 99999, Jamaica   |
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Runaway Bay
New York, New York, United States
“Fantastic for families with little ones”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

This was our second trip to FDR which says a lot. However, I'm not completely sure we will go again ...

Pros:
Fantastic nanny's. Our son Gabriel loves Kadian. She is just amazing. It is almost like she reads your mind. The main thing is that she, and many of the nanny's just really enjoy kids and they take their jobs really seriously - in a good, fun way. There are lots of fun activities for the kids. It's great how small the property is. That way you can find your kids pretty easily if you have lost track of them. Good scuba diving 5 minutes from property. It was great fun to feed the fish (little yellow and blue stripe) in the ocean. Good massages. Relaxed atmosphere and pretty good food. Super friendly staff try to do anything to make you happy.

Cons:
The property is a little run down and it's pretty simple. Everything you need not nothing more. I would never go on a romantic trip with my husband to this hotel. Our last night at the FDR it started "raining" from the ceiling right onto the master bed. It was a leak from the room above and it was pretty bad. The bed was all wet. I called up the front desk and told them about it and asked for a mattress to be put in the living room. They did do that, but strangely nobody mentioned this after or asked us about it.

Also, the trip from the airport was a pain. First, we had to wait 45 minutes until the bus left. Then they made a long pit stop, which nobody requested. On the way back they were a couple of seats short because of all the luggage but crammed three kids in two seats to make it work out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Hammondsport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We just got back from a wonderful week at FDR. It was such a nice week, and sooo relaxing with the Nanny support. We had Angela as our Nanny, and our daughter absolutely loved her! We got a kick out of the nightly entertainment, and the Beach Party! I would highly recommend this place to anyone with small children, you can't beat it. There are plenty of adult activities to keep the parents busy, and the kids are engaged in activities ALL day.

Room Tip: we had room 101 - a 2 bedroom, 2 level suite and loved it. The balcony overlooks the beach and ocea...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We loved the FDR resort. They have one of the best resorts the world over for families with young children. The rooms and grounds are clean and well maintained. It is a boutique, all-suite hotel so it can only accomodate 70 families or so which is nice. Some of my friends rave about how good the food is. I think the food ranges from good to excellent. We had some lovely dinners served to us with white glove service by the ocean. But taste is a subjective thing and this is not a RIU with 52 restaurants serving food round the clock. There is a pool side grill which the kiddies love becuase the counter is kiddie height and they can pick and choose their food themselves. Thats the essence of the FDR resort for me... Its all about independance... Your kids get a chaparone to follow THEM! Your kids do what they want... Petting zoo, basketball court, arts and crafts, play on the sand, going to the kiddle night club, getting a cool drink at the bar, whatever. They roam the resort with a feeling of ownership and independance, with their trusty nannies following in tow. Its a sight to see! My only question is, why do they price their resort out of the marketplace. I got a deal ONCE to go for about $225 a night for the whole family, but the normal rate is about double that. My friends were just there this Christmas and the resort was a ghost town... and a little depressing. Resorts are always more fun when there is a good buzz of fun, energetic people and kids for your kids to play with. If they priced it a little more reasonable, at $200-250 a night I think it would be a grand slam. As long as it is priced at $400+ a night I think people with that kind of money will opt to go to Beaches becuase of the perception that more money means better and the cache of telling your friends that "we went to Beaches Boscobel" versus we went to FDR (which usually results in people saying FD whatttt???). The FDR is a jewel, with the exception of their beach. They have a lovely cove where the kids can play in a very nice protected area where there are minimal waves, but if adults wander too far out LOOK OUT! URCHINS EVERYWHERE. There is a little path that was cleared for adults to carefully walk about into the wide open waters. There is a neat floating island (a large inflatable trampoline style dingy -- large enough for 8 people to lie down and work on their tans away from the kiddies) but getting there can be a hazardous adventure. We went back in Dec 2010.There are no signs warning people of the urchins and while we were there one man had the unfortunate experience of stepping on one and spent his entire trip sitting at the bar drinking his worries away. The bar does have the good brands of booze, which he made very good use of.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
fdrsales, Director of Sales at Franklyn D Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
We do appreciate the kind comments about our staff and facilities, which we continuously try to improve on each year. Our records indicate that this guest last stayed with us in December “2009”. When the issue of rates came up for a return visit, we tried to assist because this guest indicated that he could send us many guests in the future. We offered to accommodate the guest by extending the Jamaican Resident Rate of US$ 150 per adult per night and this was still considered to be too steep.

Incidentally, our rates have not been increased in the last five years and we always offer discounts of up to 40% off to our repeat guests.

Sometimes, unfortunately when the sea gets rough, sea urchins get washed in. However, these are removed immediately. We have not had any sea urchin incidents in a very long time. We have a perfect safety record here at FDR, being in operation for 22yrs we have had no serious or major injuries.

For the record we had full occupancy at FDR over the Christmas period from December 24-30, 2011.

In addition to the two beach coves at FDR, which we use primarily as our kiddies beach area, we have an eastern beach which is a 1 mile stretch.

We would love to have you and your family visit with us again soon to be able to experience all the improvements made since your previous visit with us. These improvements have assisted us in gaining 2nd place behind Atlantis Resort in the Top Ten Best Family Beach Resorts in the Caribbean.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband, my parents, and my 4 children ( ages 7,5,2, and 6 months) and I stayed at fdr for 9 nights. Everybody told me I was crAzy for taking such small children on vacation. But FDR is the PERFECT place for parents with young children. I have been to other resorts where i would put my children in the kids club for a few hours but having a full time nanny taking care of your children is a whole different experience. We opted for 2 nannies, glasia and crystal, who were absolutely amazing! They made our vacation so enjoyable. We were able to sit back, take a nap, tan, read a book, whatever. The nannies are very highly trained and they really take good care of the children.
The service in the hotel is impeccable. All the staff is friendly and make sure that you are enjoying yourself. If I ever needed anything, they always smiled and said "sure." The rooms are also very nice, clean, and spacious.
We were a little disappointed with the food. All the food presented ranged from good to very good but, I would've liked more variety. However, there was always something to eat and the food was very fresh. If we wanted something that was not on the menu, the chef was very accommodating and prepared us what we requested.
The facilities, in particular the jacuzzi, was a little outdated and didn't work so well. The main pool was very cold and my children did not enjoy swimming in it. We mostly swam in the beach.
Overall, I had a really great time and I relaxed more than I thought I would ever. I would highly recommend this resort to families with young children who are willing to sacrifice 5 star quality food, entertainment, and facilities for a place where your children will have a good time and parents will relax.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Everything was great, miss Teena our nanny offered the best service ever and we were extremely happy with our stay

• Stayed July 2011
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We have stayd in FDR early December 2011. The hotel is everything you wish for your family vacation, even more. The hotel is situated in Runaway Bay, around 60 min from the airport. We have travelled with our 3 little children, and didn't find the drive too bad at all. Upon arrival we were greeted by wonderful staff of FDR. Our 2 bedroom suite was a few feet away from the ocean. Beautiful two balconies with the most wonderful views, were where we have spent our early mornings. The resort is very cosy, lush, immaculately clean. All the studios, apartments were situated in a few villas and close proximity to the beach. The beach is small, but that is perfect if you are going with the little kids, If you wish though a bigger beach, just a few steps away, towards the Breezes and you can enjoy the longer stretch of white powdery beach.
We felt welcome in every sense. The staff from waiters, cooks, entertainers and even Mr Franklyn himself were very accommodating and kind.
The kids had the most amazing time. We had a nanny and she was a great help. She would take our older 2 kids to the activities that are always happening, while we have spent time with our baby, and vice versa. Every day there was interesting event for them, from goat racing to crab racing to fishing, making sand castles etc. They had pj parties for them, all kinds of contest etc.
The food was great too. It was not high season,but even though the service was great, the food was delicious and always variety to choose from. We loved Jerk Chicken from th BBQ prepared by Sanjei.
We were debating between Beaches and FDR and are glad we chose the second one. It felt more personable, warmer and for sure memorable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Most of the reviews here are spot on. The facilities are quite dated, although the accommodations are roomy and clean, (thanks to your nanny). Our fridge was always stocked with food for the kids and beer for us. Our 2-bedroom townhouse had a balcony that overlooked a lovely, lush courtyard. Our room was near the staff area but we liked that. It was nice to get to know people and see a little behind the scenes. There was some construction going on and it seemed like someone was always painting, but it wasn't a significant inconvenience. We went during a slow season, two weeks into January, and the resort was quiet. It picked up with locals on the weekend. Most everyone was in bed by 9 or 10:00, which made it easier to get the kids to sleep. Seemed like the bar was always open late though for grownups. A.C. was plenty cool in rooms. Beds were comfy. Rooms were quiet. All slept well.

We found the food to be plentiful and flavorful, and often downright delicious. Not sure what folks were expecting. Always a meat, chicken, seafood and pasta option at every dinner. Everything was fresh, not fried. Breakfast buffet was hearty. Lunch was decent. Kids loved the kids grill but survived mostly on ice cream and popcorn. We liked eating the grill's jerk chicken and I'm still craving the coconut drops served on Jamaican buffet night. We gained five pounds in a week. Our favorite nights were the beach buffet and entertainment (which we mostly missed b/c the kids were beat) and the Jamaican buffet.

We visited in January so the pools were chilly. Even the kids complained. The one hot tub was adults only, which was a bummer. The wet slides were on the slow side. We spent most of our time on the beach, reading books and sipping drinks in the many chairs or hammocks. The staff will show you how to avoid the sea urchins in the water. The best part is that on a sunny day you can walk out to the reefs and snorkel for hours. My boys are 6 and 2 1/2 and they enjoyed fishing, building sand castles and swimming. They didn't want to leave the beach for many activities but stopped playing long enough to do the glass bottom boat ride and crab race. We went a few times to the beach at Breezes resort next door. It's gorgeous and very easy to get to. We took our nanny, Natalie, with us. You will get sold stuff if you go to that beach, but we found when Natalie was with us they left us alone. Also a security guard from FDR stood on the property and watched us and our stuff the whole time. Great snorkeling there too.

My husband and I dove once. The equipment was good. The boat went out at least twice in the morning. The fees were affordable. The staff was not the friendliest. The visibility was amazing and the dive sites were just minutes away. No motion sickness! After diving places like Belize and Costa Rica, I didn't think the sea life was that great. From talking to other divers it seems like the reefs in Runaway Bay are some of the best on the coast though. Really we were just happy to be able to dive together thanks to the nanny. But we stuck to snorkeling for the most part when we saw how accessible it was.

So, the nanny. Natalie was great. Very friendly. Great with the kids. My six year old still talks about her. My 2 1/2 year old had a hard time going with her the entire time. It seems to be the stage that he's at though, rather than anything she did wrong. Still, she sat with him in the room while he slept for several hours every afternoon and played with him while we laid in the hammocks on the beach. And we hired her to take the kids during dinner two nights so we could have adult dinner time. Highly recommend doing that. Dinners out are such a nightmare, although the staff was friendly with the kids. Natalie even went with us on excursions. It was way more relaxing than any other vacation we've taken thanks in big part to her.

The rest of the staff was also fantastic. They pride themselves on having a 1:1 ratio, guests to staff, but I would say it was almost 2 or 3:1. We never lacked a drink on the beach or someone to give us information or help get the kids snorkel gear. The staff is really something special.

Overall, we wished we could stay longer, and we hope to go back soon. The kids can't stop talking about it. When the weather was good it was a little slice of heaven. There was a snafu with my reservation, but they remedied it quickly and politely to my satisfaction. I recommend writing down the names of who you speak with when you make your reservation and confirming all the details before you arrive, since I never really got anything in writing and it seems like the staff is pretty consistent. Also, read the many reviews here on this site so you know what to expect.

To the resort I would only say that I'm dismayed to see how overly vigilant they are in defending their reputation on tripadvisor.com. Not a great approach to reassuring folks who are looking for honest opinions. The people and staff at FDR are warm and helpful and the responses should reflect that spirit while respecting guests' privacy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Franklyn D Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!