“Wonderful Stay At Moon San!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Boat/Bike Tour/Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Port Antonio
Sanford, Florida
“Wonderful Stay At Moon San!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We recently visited Port Antonio for our son's wedding. We were greeted warmly by the staff upon arrival. And we felt at home right away. We stayed in the "Master Suite" which had a beautiful, balcony looking out onto the water, and plenty of room. The room was clean, nicely furnished and had a very comfortable bed. Marley made sure to answer any questions we had and gave us good sound advice about transportation, etc. Donna cooked us delicious breakfasts every morning and was very sweet and accommodating. We expressed an interest in eating what the locals eat and she obliged the next morning with amazing "salt fish and ackee". Our room and public areas had beautiful fresh tropical flowers. And we woke up to the smell of amazing Blue Mountain coffee every day. Our only disappointments were that the boat was not working during our stay and when we attempted to book a bicycle tour we were told that the bus was full and it would cost quite a bit for transportation to the location. That was partially our fault because we waited until the day before to book it. So, if you want to do the bicycle tour book it well in advance!

Room Tip: The master suite is the biggest room and the only one with a private balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We chose this place due to reviews on trip advisor, and also the location by the blue lagoon. We are well travelled and know a good place when we see one...but unfortunately,..Moon San Villas has a remote owner who is only interested in the money....every day we were hassled about paying them the cash because we refused to pay the 5% levy he wanted for a credit or debit card payment. This was a last minute booking whilst we were touring around Jamaica and it was only after we had agreed a rate of $165 US a night that the owner mentioned this extra charge. Anyway, that aside, we decided we would enjoy the villa and as we were the only guests after the first day there, we were looking forward to the peace and quiet....but this didn't happen. Marley, who is left in charge to look after guests, take them out in the boat and help with things, basically moved in with his family and friends .,and we were the only guests there by chance during this experience...so whilst Marley was very pleasant ,that's no excuse. Every day we would get back to the villa to find him, his wife, daughter, another friend and child all there, enjoying the TV, the balcony, the living room etc. One evening whilst eating our dinner, Marley had the TV blaring out yet again and I asked him if he would turn in off....his reply....no, it's the 7 o clock news in a minute. Unbelievable....we honestly felt like we were in his way...my boyfriend eventually had a word with him and said good hosts should know when to be available and when to make themselves scarce...but he didn't really get it....we decided to leave...this wasn't the holiday experience we wanted or had paid up for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
sansan1999, Owner at Moon San Villa, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for the review.

Owners always welcome constructive criticism and your problem with the staff has been addressed.

The reviewer was told the procedures of paying when they booked online but when they arrived at the villa they told the staff they would go to the bank the next day and then pay. The next day they paid for the night before and said they would pay the remaining balance when they checked out three days later. Marley had to go as far as to call me up in the US for me to talk to this reviewer about making payment.

Again, I thank the reviewer for his constructive criticism. However, I think the reason for this review was because they were “hassled about paying." I am certain that in London and everywhere else you pay for your room when you check in and not when you check out unless you are holding the charges on a charge card.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

From Ben & Sarah

Let’s get right to it: our time at the Moon San Villa, nestled just above the iconic Blue Lagoon east of Port Antonio – was the highlight of our 10 day vacation to Jamaica.

I must admit, I’m one to be skeptical of online reviews… and before visiting this magical house, I had my doubts.

Those were almost instantly dispelled upon our arrival.

My girlfriend and I traveled to Jamaica in January of 2014 for a wedding for a good high school friend of mine. The wedding was in Ocho Rios at one of the big all-inclusive resorts. As with most all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, you pretty much know what you’re going to get: lots of overweight Americans, rambunctious, booze guzzling Canadians and Europeans, and a banal, standardized vacation experience that is not just underwhelming, but also disappointing.
Don’t get me wrong – seeing the wedding of my good pal and his lovely wife was a once in a lifetime experience. We had an amazing time, full of good friends and good laughs.

But I’m talking about the hotel itself. There’s just nothing special about an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica UNLESS you spending top dollar. Top dollar is not something we have. So we were looking for something else… an experience that was unique to Jamaica. “Authentic” is a bit cliché, but we wanted to enjoy the people and culture of Jamaica, while feeling safe. We were not satisfied by the fears echoed by friends and relatives about traveling around this island, who considered it to be “too dangerous” and urged us to say bottled up in our McHotel.

While I had never been to the Caribbean until earlier this year, I do have extensive travel experience. I’ve found that if you’re respectful and approach everyone you meet with a smile (and a measured amount of initial skepticism) you’ll be surprised how kind the locals are.

With this in mind, we made the trek to the Moon San Villa. And man was it a trek!

A brief overview of our trip:

We took an epic, EPIC drive in the pouring rain from Ocho Rios to the Moon San Villa. The Villa itself is about 20 minutes from the city of Port Antonio, and while we did not rent a car on our trip, it’s something that I would recommend. Like I said, we got a lot of misinformation before we went to Jamaica, one tidbit being that it was difficult to drive in the country. My girlfriend and I live in Los Angeles and, while the steering wheel was on the other side of the car, if you are a confident driver used to driving in a big city, you’ll be just fine. We ended up renting a car for a day in Port Antonio, and had a great time with it. While the road north of Port Antonio is bumpy and needs paving, the drive from Montego Bay to the city was recently repaved.

Upon arriving at the Moon San Villa, thoughts of our uncomfortable drive – four of us packed in the backseat of a small SUV – dissipated.

It’s tough to really summarize all the things we did… it really doesn’t do it justice. But I’ll do my best.

Let’s start with the BEST feature of this little home: The People.

Marley is the man of the house, your trip manager, and your friend.

He took us everywhere we wanted to go, and above all made myself and my girlfriend feel safe and confident. Whether it was helping us rent a car in town to drive to the Reach Falls (which is a MUST see, by the way… we essentially had a waterfall that you can jump off to ourselves), going out on the house boat for a spearfishing trip, where Marley caught fresh lobster that he made us the next evening for dinner (he also caught crawfish at the waterfall… yeah. Awesome), or just pulling over at an ocean-side jerk restaurant for the best food I had on the island (which cost, with a beer, $3 per person), Marley was there for us. He’s a true professional and an incredible soul. We also met his 4-year-old daughter! Very cute.

Can’t say enough good stuff about Marleyman.

Mrs. Donna is the house matron and you’re mother away from home. And I think this anecdote summarizes her perfectly… The first night we were there, there was a torrential downpour. Unlike Marley, Donna does not stay with you at the Villa. So after she cooked us an amazing dinner of fresh caught fish, rice and peas, and veggies, she said goodbye and went to the street to catch a local route taxi to go home. She waited in the rain for the cab, but it didn’t come for a long time because of the weather. She got drenched and eventually became a bit ill.

In spite of her not feeling 100 %, she still returned to the house every morning to cook us a hearty breakfast – eggs and bacon with toast and jam. And every morning, the coffee was waiting for us when we woke up. Just like Marley, Donna bent over backwards to take care of us… and I have no doubt she’d do the same for you if you decide to stay here.

Also, because we didn’t have a car, Marley and Donna also arranged for us to get picked up in Buff Bay by the Blue Mountain Bike Tour bus (BTW – this bike tour comes free with staying at the Villa, and is well worth the trip) after we took a cab there. The bus then took us all the way back to Ocho Rios for free! Just tipped the driver.

Again, this is just a snapshot of our time at Moon San Villa. Of course, you’ll make your own decision on where you want to stay, and I don’t know if your experience will be the same as ours.

But we both had an experience we’ll never forget, and I wouldn’t change any of it.

Ya mon… ‘am crying.

Room Tip: Take the master room on top. You will not regret it!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Savage, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Staying at the Moon San Villa was a highlight in our trip to Port Antonio area. We were traveling with our 2yr old and stayed in the upstairs master bedroom which had a little attached room for him to sleep in - so much nicer than sharing a bed like we had been earlier in the trip! The view from the room and top balcony was stunning with the ocean below and bougainvillea around the window attracting birds. Donna cooked us delicious breakfasts in the morning and Marley took us out on the boat and showed us the sites around the area; they were both more than attentive and went above and beyond any guest house staff I've ever met before. The only challenge was that the place is a ways out of town so you have to take a car to get to dinner but we were always able to catch a route taxi no problem.

• Stayed January 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Moon San Villa is a very affrodable option in Port Antonio. The villa itself is modest but very clean and has wonderful views of the water. It's proximity to the Blue Lagoon makes it amazing, having Marley as a host makes it outstanding. To provide an example of the type of host Marley is, within 5 minutes of walking into the villa for the first time and remarking that something in the kitchen smelled amazing, Marley had given me his lunch so I could have a taste (yes, I stole Marley's lunch). I could not recommend this place more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We drove ourselves from Montego Bay to Port Antonio and although the road was rather narrow and winding in parts it was worth every km to to get to Moon San Villa.This little villa faces the ocean, is surrounded by rain forest and is a 2 minute walk to the magnificent Blue Lagoon.I am a bird watcher and there were hummingbirds everywhere and lots of little forest birds right there.The staff are wonderful-Marley takes you out on the boat for free and any tours can be booked with him. Donna is a great cook and breakfast is included in the tariff. Greg the owner is awesome.The famous Fishermans Cove beach is a short distance away.If one is coming to Jamaica this hidden gem is not to be missed-off the beaten track and quiet !

Room Tip: We had a sea-facing room with a balcony-superb!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Freewater, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Angela greeted us first and she was nice then Marley greeted us and he made sure we were comforted. The breakfast was amazing and Greg is great also. Great huts is ok to go and relax during the nights I didn't eat there we hit the Boston jerk center that was off the chain the lobster is great go to the first jerk pan. I give french man cove zero the service not too good and the food sucks. The beach on the other hand is nice but ruff waters. The high point of the trip was taking the boat ride to San San beach and going to Monkey island. Thank you Marley and Angela and Greg for a great time. The bathrooms were some if you are big you might need a bigger bathroom.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Moon San Villa? Share your experiences!