“Beautiful Property - full of character” 5 of 5 stars

Goblin Hill Villas
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   San San Beach, Port Antonio WI, Jamaica   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Port Antonio
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Property - full of character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had a wonderful stay. Joan was our housekeeper and couldn't have been a more wonderful hostess. We didn't want fancy 3 course meals and asked for a variety of family style Jamaican meals at 8am, 2pm and 7pm each day and they were AMAZING! We got to try so many delicious foods we wouldn't have sampled otherwise and the kids devoured EVERYTHING. Joan was so warm and kind to them - I hope the owners pass on our gratitude and thanks as she really made our stay perfect.

The property is absolutely beautiful and the owners work hard to maintain it. Our villa was splendid and beautifully furnished, with fresh flowers added each day by our housekeeper. The door panel became loose during our stay and the maintenance man quickly came and repaired it with no mess and no fuss. I do not understand the obsession many travelers have with 'newness' and 'modernity' - being European we loved the 1970's-luxe period features and style.

Port Antonio is spectacular. I cannot understand why more tourists don't make the effort to travel here. French mans's cove is surely the most beautiful beach in the world, and it's a stones throw from Goblin Villas.

Thanks for a wonderful trip, we'll be back :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for this review!
We have been delighted to meet and welcome you. I will certainly extend your gratitude to Joan and the rest of the staff that is always working hard to make sure each one of our guests have a perfectly enjoyable stay.

Come back visit us back soon!

Rafael de Campos,

British Virgin Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Goblin Hill over a wild (weather) weekend and will most likely return to this tranquil coastal retreat.
The views of SanSan beach and the Blue Lagoon from the villas are fantastic while the helper is a real treat with breakfast and dinner prepared for you.
The interiors of the villas are in need of serious refershing as they are a bit worn and dated, albeit functional. Outside is a nice swimming pool (which unfortunately was out of action due to cleaning for most of Saturday), small play area and tennis courts, plus a games room has some board games and a table-tennis table.
Goblin is worth a visit for the views and tranquility, plus the outdoor facilities, but I'll wait to return until the property interiors have been updated.

Room Tip: Choose a villa with a sea view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank 5102040
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoyed your stay at Goblin Hill the way you expected.

I do agree that some of the villas have to be updated. This is one of our main action plans. We started refurbish some of them and will eventually do the same with all of them. Although the villas may be outdated, we take pride in keeping them clean, a fact that is noticed by our guests and echoed in some of the reviews on this website. I therefore do not understand your rating of 2 out of 5 when it comes to cleanliness. If you your villa was not clean, I would have taken measures to either fix the issue or give you another villa. But you never contacted me to report any issue.

Also I am very surprised to read that the pool was out of action for most of the day as it is absolutely not true. The longest the pool might not be accessible to our guests for cleaning reasons would be one hour. There is no way that we would close the pool most of the day, especially on a Saturday, which is our busiest day. I do not understand your intentions by saying this but, again, this is absolutely untrue.
The pool was closed on Sunday evening, from 5.30pm, as we had a show of synchronized swimming. Our guests were informed of this event days in advance. Absolutely all of them understood the situation and thoroughly enjoyed the show.

One more precision as false information might damage a business: Although we are at less than 10mins walk from the Blue Lagoon, it is absolutely impossible to see it from anywhere on property, even less from the villas.

We do appreciate comments, good or bad, and critics when they help improve our place. But why invent false situations or give wrong information?
Again I wonder why a guest staying three days with us do not try to contact me to report any issue he may have in order for us to find a solution but prefers to leave unhappy and write unfair and untruth reviews on sites like this.

I would be happy if you could contact me on my email at rdecampos@goblinhill.com in order for us to clarify the situation.

Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

When my family and I lived in Jamaica for a couple of years this place became our favorite place to spend our getaway weekends. The apartments were nice and the arrangment where you have your own housekeeper/cook is brilliant. You either bring your own groceries or ask the housekeeper what you want for dinner, breakfast etc. and she will go to the market for you.
You can find resorts in Jamaica with more luxury, but you can't find anywhere with the same degree of calmness & anti-stress atmosphere. Even though it's 4 years since we left Jamaica my kids still talk about this place.
Don't expect a place with a lot of planned activities for the kids and waiters running around like in an all-exclusive resort. Expect the opposite! Calm garden environment with hummingbirds, big lawns and nice views. And a very short distance to the best beach in Jamaica, Frencmans Cove.
Only problem with Goblin Hill is that it is so far away from Denmark. It's definately the first place I will rush to if I ever get the chance to go to Jamaica again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LH69
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review! It seems that Goblin Hill left a strong impression on you as you remember it so well after 4 years.

I am pleased to announce that you will enjoy it even more now as we are doing a lot of improvements in the villas, on the grounds, at the Tree bar,... We are also thinking about the children as we installed a new playground, organize activities for them and play movies or cartoons in the evenings.

I am looking forward to showing you all of this on your next stay in Jamaica.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

If you would like the taste of the real Jamaica, go to Port Antonio, a town with character. Once a favorite vacation spot of Errol Flynn and many other Hollywood celebrities, its lush hills rise out of the harbor that hosts a marlin contest every year. The town has lovely old buildings, a square with a clock tower, a crumbling Folly Mansion, and an authentic market that caters to locals. The vendors are friendly but don’t pester. The people of Port Antonio are polite and welcoming.

We have visited most of the hotels in the area, and, by far, the best is Goblin Hill. It is situated on a hill above SanSan Bay. One can relax in one of Goblin Hill’s quiet vistas and have spectacular views of Princess Nina’s Island and the shimmering bay. Long ago we lived in Kingston and loved spending weekends at Goblin Hill when it was brand new. It is even more beautiful now, because its well tended landscaping has matured. We have family pictures over the years of swinging in the hammock at the Look Out, cavorting over the lawns, gaping at humming birds as they flutter past our noses, photographing the profusion of flowers on the property, sipping rum punches at the Tree House, and basking in the great cooking and attention of our own private housekeeper. We have snorkeled to exhaustion in San San Bay and floated down the stream at Frenchman’s Cove as we looked at the twinkling sun through the trees and parakeets fluttering high up. We dove into deep blue glassy Blue Hole, body surfed at Long Bay, and then gobbled down jerk pork at the Jerk Center at Boston Bay.

This time we met Joanna who guided us to new discoveries and history that we had not known. We suggest that on one of your first days you find this charming woman, who is the sister of the owner. She will give you a private tour and provide information that is new to even the most seasoned Jamaican. She introduced us to Trevor Stone who took us on a hike into the Blue Mountains, past banana and coffee plantations, through tiny villages, past farms precariously perched on the hillside. We climbed up and up until we were treated with the most spectacular view of Port Antonio’s harbor, the Grand River and the great Blue Mountain. Trevor pointed out birds, rare butterflies, and plants.

Joanna told us about Great Huts, near the Jerk Center. Great Huts is designed to be an African village. Guests climb ladders to their rooms and bathe in private outdoor showers. We ate fresh fish and enjoyed a performance of traditional Jamaican dances performed by children and young adults from a community center in Port Antonio.

Over the years we keep returning to Goblin Hill. We have traveled many places, and Goblin Hill is our sanctuary for peace and harmony of soul.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank douglebee
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this beautiful review, not only about Goblin Hill, but also about Port Antonio and its surroundings which are, as you describe it well, an area full of good surprises.

Thank you for your stay with us at Goblin Hill and we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

First time at Goblin Hill. My stay was great. Lovely views, clean rooms...did I mention the views? Miss Erma was our cook and housekeeper and she kept mine and my friend's taste buds and belly very happy. I simply planned meals and she did all the shopping and cooking (billed at end of stay and it includes a transportation cost). Only negative - and it's small - was that we were not given a cable box as promised, though we did get a remote. Eventually we got a DVD player and a small selection of DVDs...then again, why bother with any TV when there's the beautiful Frenchman's Cove to visit (complimentary entry with stay at Goblin Hill) and an expansive and well-kept property to explore and just soak in. There's also a pool. The area is really very quiet and very relaxing. My favourite spot was in the hammock beneath some almond trees that overlooks the coastline...I could lay out and listen to the sea. great spot for couples or a young family (not too young though, would recommend children be 11+) or even solo. I would definitely go back solo for some R&R

Also found the staff very helpful: when we first arrived we had to find a way to get into our car trunk since on the way to Portland we'd been rear ended. The staff was very helpful with providing tools and offering solutions out of our predicament.

I recommend a tip of at least JA$2000 for your housekeeper, depending on length of stay and number of people.

Room Tip: All the rooms look good to me...all have views. If you have mobility problems then perhaps request...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JamaicanCaramel
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you at Goblin Hill. We are happy you enjoyed your stay, your cook (yes, Miss Erma is great!), your villa and our grounds... Yes the hammock on the look-out, I wish I was a guest sometimes...
I am really sorry about the cable box. I am surprised you did not received one. Did you mentioned it to our staff? I would have made sure you received one if the problem had been reported to me.

All our staff is looking forward to welcoming you back here!

Rafael de Campos,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

We were travelling across Jamaica by car and spent our last 2 nights in this lovely hotel. The appartments were spacious and wel equipped and the staff very helpful with arranging day trips. The location (very close to blue lagoon) was great.

IT was very hard to leave! Port Antonia is one of the jewels in the crown of Jamaica!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank traveldoc76
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to welcome you in this beautiful and preserved part of Jamaica.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and experience at Goblin Hill.

All the staff is looking forward to welcoming you back here and give you more tips in order to discover more of this unspoiled area.

St. Ann's Bay, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was our first time visiting Goblin Hill and it was absolutely breathtaking. Goblin Hill in my opinion is a property that is in touch with nature. The property remind so much of Couples San Souci but, no comparison. We basically viewed the property to decide if this is where we would actually like to spend our vacation/just a get away spot. The property is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are standard but, it wasn't an issue to us. The gentleman that took us a around was very polite and accomodating. He even showed us the look out point and my kids loved it. They played in the hammocks and it was obvious they loved the atmosphere. He took us to the kids area and my kids went wild. We are totally satisfied with the product offered and we will definitely be booking soon. - DTF

Room Tip: Sea View was beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tamra F
GoblinHill, Manager at Goblin Hill Villas, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear future guest,

Thank you for this review. I am happy that you and your children already enjoyed the property without even staying at it.
I am really looking forward to welcoming you for, this time, a real stay. You will then be able to enjoy completely what Goblin Hill has to offer to its guests!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Antonio
Hotel Jamaican Colors
Hotel Jamaican Colors
#6 of 17 in Port Antonio
4.5 of 5 stars 93 reviews

Been to Goblin Hill Villas? Share your experiences!