“Great Huts is probably your best option in the whole of Jamaica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Great Huts

You added Great Huts to your Saves list
Great Huts
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   8-10 Boston Bay Road, Port Antonio, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 22 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Great Huts is probably your best option in the whole of Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

As a female solo traveler I was a tad worried, having read recent press, about going to Jamaica independently and I did not want to be locked up in a resort where, once you leave the compound, you'll be harassed by touts. Set my eyes on either Black River or Port Antonio. I came across Great Huts on the www and rang a very helpful Suzette from Great Huts who ensured me it was going to be safe. She was right and I ended up having the best time ever at GH.They picked me up from Kingston Airport, even after my very long flight delays, The staff are fantastic, they go out of their way to accommodate you, they get to know you and know exactly what you need or want and you will get to know them too. They can also arrange trips for you, and hook you up with the most wonderful people from the area (like Arlene). Paul, the owner, is a great person to have met, he too will get out of his way to make sure you have a good time. Even sang a song for me :-). It's a very relaxing, African-Caribbean place, not super luxurious, but comfortable and fun. Some huts have bathrooms half-outdoors, yet no-one can see you, it's wonderful! Oh and they have wifi!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Great Huts. Dr. Paul has created a special "village" with stunning views, unique tree houses and great staff. Staying here, we felt that we were part of nature. The tree houses are simply amazing. We spent 2 nights in the Fig Tree, which is the nicest of all the "rooms". Very spacious and loaded with cool art. Then we spent 2 nights in the bamboo tree which has a simple bedroom but a great jacuzzi overlooking the beach.

The food is great and the Saturday Night show is a lot of fun! We also got a great massage in our tree house.

The beach is very "natural". I jumped off the rocks into the sea, tried my hand and horseback riding and surfing and we also went scuba diving with Lady G'diva.
Everywhere we went, we met cool people with interesting stories.
We highly recommend staying at Great Huts!.
Back your bags and go! You can thank us later!!!

Joe
NJ, USA

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Great Huts was a remarkable life experience for our family and friends. Scattered on the cliffs overlooking Boston Bay, the huts create an African styled village on the beautiful northeastern Jamaican coast. Dr. Paul Rhodes has created a "real" Jamaican experience.
The views of Boston Bay, the Caribbean, and the mountains were breathtaking. Swimming, surfing and snorkeling were daily activities. Meals were fantastic and the staff was helpful and courteous. Just outside Great Huts is the Boston Jerk Center which provided an additional food choice for the teenagers (4 ages 17-19). Aside from the rustic nature, no a/c or televisions and a few insects, Great Huts gave our group a life changing experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Great Huts is a place that we will go to again and again. We've been there twice already, the first time in Feb, 2008, with another couple, and the second time just the two of us in Jan, 2010. Paul is a wonderful host. We 've not had the chance to spend time with his wife. This is a place to go if you're not looking for the Hiltons and the Club Meds but want a simpler type of place -I guess "rustic" might be the term - yet it is clean and comfortable. It's in a part of Jamaica that is not filled with tourists and where one can, if one wants to, go and meet real Jamaican people not just waiters and bartenders and maids. We wouldn't look for any other place to use as a base from which to travel in Jamaica. There's a lovely beach and the food iis great, too. Check out the website.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Bergen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Wauw really beautiful! We enjoyed our stay at the greats huts. Unfortunately it was a little rainy for a few days. But there's nothing wrong with reading your book in the jacuzzi from the bamboo three house for 4 hours. Nice friendly staff. Great food. Perfect perfect perfect!

Best Regards,
Wies and Daan
The Netherlands

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Great Huts has left a lasting impression on me.
Visually stunning and different from anything I've experienced before, the resort provided the perfect combination of nature and modernity. It was a true escape from the banality of American life and a source of relaxation, fun, & opportunities for learning; one can jump from the rock cliff into the crystal sea, take showers outdoors, fall asleep to sounds of cicadas and wake up to the resident rooster.

My experience was made more profound by the fact that I volunteered as a nursing student for Paul Rhodes, MD, owner of Great Huts and creator of the non governmental organization, JAFIS (Jamaican American Friends of Infirmaries and Shelters). For about 7 weeks, I volunteered at both a homeless shelter and the Parish Infirmary during the weekdays. While working there, I felt a sense of teamwork and openness with the shelter staff. Overall, I improved my communication and nursing skills through socializing and caring for clients. I am thankful for the unique nursing experience before moving into my final year of undergrad nursing. I recommend 'voluntourism' with JAFIS to anyone working in the health care field or to anyone who simply is driven to care for and learn from others -- the need in Jamaica is there.

After a day's work, I was all the more grateful for Great Huts. Enjoyed the cultural performances in particular and the vegetarian options by Chef Ronald :) Thanks to all the staff!
Respect! ;)

• Stayed July 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Great Huts recreates every notion of the Garden of Eden. A simple but artistically complex village of thatched huts and tree houses built under the jungle canopy. Powerful views from cliff side of the ocean and Boston Beach. Safe, fun, and inexpensive. We spent 17(seventeen) days!
Mike Dresbach, Volunturist

Stayed July 2010

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!