“Another side of jamaica but absolutely the REAL EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Great Huts

Save Saved
You added Great Huts to your Saves list
Great Huts
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   8-10 Boston Bay Road, Port Antonio, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
ld217
“Another side of jamaica but absolutely the REAL EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Positive
Great huts was absolutely beautiful if you love nature. I loved the fact that it was small making the experience more personal. I felt like i was a guest at a house and not just a randomn customer at a big resort...The beach was rocky but asbolutely beautiful- you can relax, read a book, maybe listen to music and have a beer or rum and coke while you watch the beautiful ocean.
Breakfast is really good-eggs, fruit(could be better) and amazing toast with Guava jam..mhh Yummy. The coffee is absolutely GREAT! This is coming from a COLOMBIAN person that knows about coffee,..Jamaican coffee definitely met my expectations.
If you arrive in Montego Bay the drive to Port Antonio will be about 41/2hours $180.
Transportation is EXTREMELY expensive if you take private taxis. So just go out by the jerk center and get a public taxi and negotiate the price before you get it.
JERK chicken(DELICIOUS)
Winnifred Beach-absolutely beautiful, we stayed there almost all day, eating at Cynthias restaurant and having drinks by the beach.
The Waterfalls are also amazing
We went to LaBest night club on friday and it was a lot of fun! (if you like reggae, dancehall and hip hop)...
I DO NOT recommend the RIVER RAFTING-extremely boring and over priced.

Greathuts and its staff was very friendly and really cared to make an experience for the guest at the hut resort. I highly recommend it, if you love hearing the ocean at night and dont mind the insects.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

Stayed at Great Huts during the last week of January 2009. This was our second trip to Great Huts, we plan to make it a yearly destination as it is perfect for us, but is not perfect for everyone. I like to call it "luxury camping" cause you do get a bed, bathroom and hot breakfast with great coffee. Internet access and television are available in the lounge.

If you like cushy, fancy resorts with lots of services and comforts eg spas, pools, restaurants, bars, concrete and air conditioned modern buildings - then this place is probably not for you. If you have small children or are elderly or have mobility problems, I would not recommend the property. If you dont like birds, bugs, geckos, the ocean or sounds of nature when you are trying to sleep-then go somewhere else.

If you are active and like a bit of adventure in a beautiful natural setting, great ocean surf and swimming and a rustic romantic getaway with the sounds of the waves and birds to lull you to sleep at night - consider Great Huts as you will not be disappointed. This is the perfect place to experience with a new love or to reconnect with a long-term one.

I travel about 3 times a year, mainly to tropical areas. I can say hands-down that the Bamboo Tree House at Great Huts is the most romantic place I have been so far. It is an open-air hut with a breathtaking, unobstructed ocean view. The Bamboo has an open bathroom downstairs with a 2-person jacuzzi, shower, hot water and a small refrigerator. The view from the toilet is amazing! True, there is no A/C but there is a fan that was perfect for January. I would not go in the hotter, humid months. If you really want a rustic experience or need to save money, you can stay in a tent there. They are very nicely decorated but dont have private bathrooms.

Breakfast is included in the price and they have dinner available as well. Dinner is good and affordable, but not fancy or extraordinary by resort standards. You can also eat at the jerk stands just outside Great Huts or take a route taxi to Long Bay or into Port Antonio. Go to the grocery store in town for water, beer and snacks if you want to save some money. We arranged transport from Kingston to Great Huts through the resort for 120 USD each way. We did not rent a car, we took route taxis to Port Antonio, Long Bay, Blue Lagoon and Reach Falls without any problem. I would highly recommend a trip to Reach Falls and hike and swim your way up the falls with the guides.

There is great surfing right at Boston Bay. We surfed pretty much every day. Swimming is great also and the water is not at all crowded with people. Water is warm and clear; you can swim until dark comfortably. I would recommend bringing your own board if you are a surfer, American Airlines charged us 100 USD each way for the board. You can rent them right on the beach but boards may not be the quality you are used to.

In order to fully enjoy this place, you need to come with the realization and attitude that this is not really a hotel or resort. It really is more like camping in paradise. Yes there are mosquitos and they did get me despite my 15% DEET. Next time I will bring a higher concentration repellant and pretreat my clothing, but I will return. I love the place that much. Don't bother with really nice clothes, high heels, jewelry or make-up. It is not that kind of vacation. Bring water shoes or no-slip hiking sandals for walking around the property. Bring enough sunscreen and bug repellant if the mosquitos like you. Don't get a fresh mani/pedi before you go cause it will be ruined in no time.

This is a place for people who appreciate nature, dont mind a gecko in their room or finding a little crab crawling in their jacuzzi and dont mind coming home with a stubbed toe and a bit of Jamaican sand under their nails. Check out their website, it truly is "Paradise on the Edge"

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

Great Huts is amazing!! I stayed in the bamboo tree house and the gate house!!

The tree house was right on top of the ocean. We could hear the waves crashing all night!!

The staff are all amazing and incredibly helpful!

Port Antonio seems to one of the lesser visited spots on the island.... but it's totally worth the journey.

We took a great day trip to Reach falls and had a local guide take us on a private tour of the river to the falls!! SOOOO amazing. We just arranged it with a cabbie.

Anyway this spot was my ABSOLUTE favorite of all that I stayed. We did a mini-tour of the island: Negril, Port Antonio, and Mo Bay.

Great Huts is a wonderful place to stay. It's a bit off the beaten path: which I LOVED!!

• Liked — I loved that it was off the beaten path!! Very incredible experience!
  • Disliked — Lots of bugs: BE PREPARED!!! BUG repellent a MUST!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Fairfield County, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

I went for two weeks and should have stayed forever. The rooms are amazing I stayed in the bamboo tree house. Every morning you get a fried egg, toast, bowl of fruit and coffee or tea. They have goggles but if you can bring a surf board. There is a grocery store not so far away that sells cases and cases of red stripe. Don't forget bug spray and ignore all the various insects and don't feel bad when the jellyfish bite. The beach is not a beach but if you have a book you will do fine. The jerk chicken is amazing and you should go visit Davie's. The locals are all trying to sell you something anything they have rights to come on the beach but can't go up the stairs. If they get unberable the staff will deal with them. But they are more of a bother than anything else. The dogs are lovely and love to be petted. Bring a flashlight. You can catch a local cab in one minnute, the memory of the ride will last a lifetime. Pot holes really don't describe the chasms or craters that pepper the "roads". If you are driving you will come upon driving questions that stump the best of drivers. Like who has the right of way the car, the herd of goats, the pack of wild dogs and try not to run off the road they have some lovely turns called "see you no more". Guess why? They also have a volunteer program where you can stay at great huts and either help out at the nursing home for the blind or the homeless shelter in Port Antonio. Web service is spotty. They have an apiary and have some turtles. They have dinner and if you want it you have to tell them at breakfast but you would do better going around the area. Go to Woody's and get the pina colada. Then another. And one more. And then take a picture of it because you will never have one like it again until you go back to Woody's.

Have a great time! We all did!

• Liked — The bug net, the coils and the views.
  • Disliked — The insects.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We wished we stayed longer is what my husband and I repeat over and over again since returning from Jamaica. Great Huts is amazing! The dream child of owner and designer Dr. Paul. It is a small, well run eco-resort built on a beautiful cliff, on the far eastern end of the island. If you love nature and the outdoors this is way better than a traditional hotel and a lot more comfort than camping! The Great Huts are inspired by native designs and engineering from around the world, and they perfectly blend in with the natural surroundings. The property also has some neat little treasures like ~ dining tables perched on the cliffs edge, massive chairs nestled into rocks facing direct east so you can watch the sun rise dreamy in your own little alcove, solitary beach chairs hidden on rocky outcroppings above the breaking waves for private sun bathing, little pools carved by the ocean where you can soak in the seawater...magical!
Everything was lovely from the place, to the staff, to the food, to the service. This is not a place for people who do not love the outdoors and nature for those of you there is always the traditional inns and guesthouses. When you stay here, you stay in Jamaica - the sounds, the smells, the sky and the sea! We will be back!

• Liked — being so close to such beautiful nature
  • Disliked — it could get a little loud at night due to occassional village parties, although this did not bother my husband and I
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VanCity
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We were at this resort last month. I must say it was beautiful. We were looking for a real getaway. Nothing overly saturated by that "touristy" feeling. We chose the right place.

Ambiance

As soon as you enter this resort it feels as though you have stepped into something from the Blue Lagoon movies. You are living in a jungle. There are huge trees, parrots, hermit crabs, and the like all over the place. The trees give the illusion of being under a canopy, protected from the outside world. Like I said, a great place to get away from city life.

Rooms

They offer a variety of rooms or huts. The beds are large and come included with Mosquito nets...at least ours did. Some huts/rooms offer wonderful views, others do not. However, all of them allow you to feel the jungle and ocean around you. Falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves should be something everyone experiences.

Beach

A beautiful beach...if a bit tricky to maneuver. Very rocky in some areas. Shoes are a must, especially when you get into the water. Sea urchins are a dime a dozen. I would not recommend this beach for children, although they do have a "kiddie pool". It didn't seem very clean to me.

Staff

The staff was very friendly and helpful for the most part. All of them were willing to lend a helping hand, make recommendations, and in general make you feel welcome. The only complaint we had, which we didn't bring up because the rest of the trip was wonderful, was about the male manager. One on one he was great with us. But we caught him in unguarded moments with the other staff. He was, at times, not pleasant. Also, his hygiene was somewhat lacking. But we must say...he was very informative. Always seemed to have something to say about everything!

Surrounding Area

We were able to explore Reich Falls and the Blue Lagoon. Both great destinations and a lot of fun. We also went to Port Antonio and walked around the entire town. We had some fantastic patties from Juicy Patty ( I think that's what it was called!) and took a walk around the pier. It was a nice little town and the people were quite friendly and welcoming.

All in all this trip was worth it. There were a few annoyances such as the mosquitoes and the management but everything else was perfect.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Male manager, mosquitoes
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

My BF and I visited Great Huts last month and had an amazing time. Some of the things I loved best include the amazing view, the staff who made us feel like family, the cooking (both the included breakfasts - with GREAT homemade bread for toast - and Carl's dinners), and the animals (they have 3 dogs there, plus a variety of wild lizards, hermit crabs, birds, etc.). I loved going to sleep and waking up to the sound of the waves and the creatures - it was truly relaxing. It's also helpful that they have internet access (if you really want to check email while you're on vacation).

The ONLY thing I didn't like was the bugs. We had to use a lot of bug spray at night and went through a lot of hydrocortisone for the bites we did get.

As for Port Antonio, we loved exploring there (we rented a car for our trip - be forewarned that driving is tricky there b/c of potholes).

And, I learned to surf while I was there (couldn't move my arms the next day b/c of all the paddling). Got a great massage the next day (they have a woman who either comes to your hut or you can walk to her house just down the road).

All in all, great trip! Would highly recommend it if you want a taste of non-commercial, non-touristy Jamaica.

• Liked — the staff and the fact that we were right in the midst of nature
  • Disliked — mosquitos
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!