“Best stay ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Frenchman's Cove Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
Frenchman's Cove Resort
You added Frenchman's Cove Resort to your Saves list
P.O. Box 101, Port Antonio, Jamaica   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Port Antonio
Brooklyn, New York
“Best stay ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed over a long weekend and we loved it.
Villas are in front of the sea in a beautiful englsih/tropical garden. You feel like you are in a James Bond place!!! It is amazing.
The cove is so cute and you have a tiny river where kids can play safe. The water is fresh because of the river. If you take your bike or car, you can reach other nice beaches around like Boston Bay.
Breakfast is really good.
You can ask for bike and you get faster bwt the villa et and the beach.
I recommend highly this place. It is very romantic.
Don't forget mosquito repellent.
If you eat some jerk food in the street, do not forget to ask the price before to order... otherwise you may have to pay way more than expected...
I forgot to mention that you need to be very patient...everything is going low spead...even the service.
You can ask for beach towels at the entrance.
The restaurant is good for diner. Try their pastries!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My first time back in Jamaica after all these long years, I will most certainly be back to FC. I have forwarded photographs and contact details to all my friends. One is already booked! This is the most beautiful property I've ever seen. A slice of paradise. Brrrrrr, the beach is amazing and very cold water unlike Winified beach. I floated in my tube down the river, so relaxing.

My Villa was Villa 5. I was so tempted to jump. I cant get use to the view. Pinacle i believe was the name. This was my best burger ever. I have been all over but that was the bomb. I can imagine how Christopher Columbus felt when he first landed in Jamaica.

Staffs were awesome, always smiling and checking if my all was good. Patrick cooked me steamed fish. Mmmmm mmm mmm. Housekeeper service was remarkable. Natural flowers to arrange welcome. Amazing. Healthy breakfast with wide variety of fruits and fresh toast. Victoria and Kelisha was very attentive.

Negatives:There was quite a few mosquitoes, however I guess they came to hide from the rain.. Ha ha! We had rain for almost a whole day. The rain drops patting brought back memories. The property need just a LITTLE work, not much.

Advise: Activities could be considered, maybe a water slide in the river area, Trampoline for kids. So many huge trees zip lining would be awesome. A pool or Jacuzi at the Great House even though river and beach is already there on property. Lable the trees. Sensitive lights in the ground so it does not appear that dark at night in case people want to walk around.

This was a rustic setting. Looking for a difference, here is the place. No hassle or bustle!

Room Tip: Villa 5 Pinnacle
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

What a shame. Frenchman's Cove was THE hotel in the 1960's and you can see why. Fantastic villas, location, staff. Brando, The Beatles, Liz Taylor all went there. They wouldn't now. The villas, I would say are probably only six months away from not being suitable for human habitation. They are very run down. Surprisingly, the gardens are very well maintained. The restaurant has cooked food shipped in as there is no functioning kitchen. Apparently the reason for the decline of the hotel is the family who own it keep arguing about what to do with the place, that nothing gets done. A real shame.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Positives:
stunning location, some of the villas, like the one I stayed in are huge and with amazing views. Solitude, earthy and lots of bird-life. Gorgeous beach and freshwater river. Lots of space. Gardens well-maintained.

Negatives;
A group of us stayed here and had various problems with their rooms or villas. One friend's villa had loads of coackroaches, mine had broken window slats, doors would not slide, some aircons worked, some didn't. Maintenance people would come, but rarely successful.
Breakfast mediocre, beach restaurant after a week of the same food was disheartnening to say the least.
Some staff nice, some not. Didn't like the main receptionisit, she lies a lot. In fact if you stay a length of time and expereince the inevitable problems you will most probably start to expereince the lies for yourself from most of the staff. The cleaners are mostly very nice however some are pushy, and most of them expect a tip and/or gift at the end of your stay. The cleaners work really hard, and long days but I wish FC would pay their staff more so their cleaning staff do not need to hassle for tips. (Infact all the staff expect a tip/gift, particularly if you stay longer than a few days) I think the problems with the staff are most likely a result of management issues and not the fault of the staff themselves.
Beach gets over-crowded at times with non staying guests.
Back of the main house, saw a dog tied to a post for most of the day, every day- heartbreaking. Tried to get them to do something about it, saw the guard take it for a walk for about an hour, but didn't see it again. At a guess the poor dog is still probably tied to that post.

NB. A reviewer here has commented on an incident which they linked to race discrimination and which I disagree with- Yes the staff on the beach do ask if you are staying at the resort before giving you free sun-loungers, but it's not dependent on what colour/race you are- in our group we were all European white and they also asked us if we were guests.

Even though the list of negatives is longer than the positive, I would still probably come back because the setting is so stunning and isolated, the villas huge and value for money. But I would definetly venture out of the resort more, hire a car and go to other beaches when it gets busy and definetly go for my meals elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a villa if you can afford it. Villas 1, 14, 3, 4 and 11 all with gorgeous views. I didn't s...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Frenchman's Cove is one of the most beautiful properties in Jamaica. A truly amazing beach.
The region around Port Antonio is a wonderful and overlooked part of the Island. Once the go to spot for world travelers and home to famous actor, this is a place with a faded past. Well worth the visit.

The hotel itself is well run with a helpfully staff. Its a sixties time capsule. Food at the beach side restaurant is quite good, but the menu never changes. What the place lacks is any touch of loving detail. A little local art on the walls and a bit of color would make a big difference. It has the feeling of being run by an absentee owner who does just enough to keep it presentable.

Room Tip: The villas are good value - overlooking the water, but not on the beach.. Would have a car as everyt...
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We spent four night here with another couple whilst visiting family and friends in Jamaica.
This place was once a haven for the rich and famous. Although a little run down this does not take away from the beauty of the surroundings and the most amazing beach. There was wifi on the beach and in the great house where we ate breakfast. Breakfast was sufficient for our needs. The staff were pleasant mostly, although our initial contact with reception was not very warm. We had a sunken shower and the biggest bed ever.
We are yoga freaks and did a session every morning in front of our sea view, what more could you want.
We ate at Anna Bananas and feasted on fish, curry, rice, salads and plantain.
If it's night life and loud music you want this is not the place for you, but if you want to spend time with your loved ones and valued friends this is prefect.

Room Tip: Room 11 was great !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed in Villa 11 as another couple did. It was very clean, and very nice. Short walk to breakfast (great!) and the stunning beach. We were only there three days splitting our vacation in half. Lovely, lush, tropical vegetation combined with the beatiful "river meets ocean" beach and the absolute serenity of the locale made this my favorite part of our trip. We first checked into Villa 1, which needs some work. Talked to Victoria, and she handed us some keys to go look at other open villas. Villa 11 was great! Being away from kids was treasure enough, but this place for us helped us build very positive memories of Jamaica. We were almost always the first ones on the beach, and it was great having such a beautiful spot without all the entrapments of a commercial property. The beach at one point had maybe 30 people on it, which is amazingly few considering the beauty of the place.

Room Tip: Villa 11 was very nice and HUGE for the two of us - great value!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Frenchman's Cove Resort? Share your experiences!