“Rafting and life on the Rio Grande with Captain Roach and his wife Handsome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Grande

Rio Grande
Port Antonio, Jamaica
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 17 attractions in Port Antonio
Type: Bodies of Water
Attraction Details
Toronto
“Rafting and life on the Rio Grande with Captain Roach and his wife Handsome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was an experience of not just the Rio Grande, but the life of those who live on it. We visited in February of 2013 and were introduced to a LOVELY couple with the most unusual names, Roach, our licenced rafter and his wonderfully bubbly wife Handsome (one of the best dang cook I've ever met!). They are a duo you must meet when you plan to visit the Rio Grande.

Our day started with a cab ride (call Jookie 18763870123 I trusted this man with my children's life on the crazy Portland road for two weeks!) to the river and a personal pick up by Roach to bring us across the river to their house. There we relaxed, had some red stripes, cold drinks, "sweeties" (lolly pops), snacks while enjoying their million dollar view of the river and mountains from their little humble yet enchanting rural Jamaican home. We met friendly neighbours and saw children enjoying a swim in the river (my children got to join in the fun). The couple also has a farm, chicken coup, a pig and friendly cats and dogs around their house which was quite the entertainment for kids.

It was an amazing way to spend a lazy Jamaican afternoon while our master chef was busy in her outdoor wood fire kitchen preparing an authentic "food" (dasheen, dumplings, and banana) and fish coconut rundown. Let's just say I licked the plate clean!

Full and content we were then taken on our adventure down the River Grand with Captain Roach. The lazy river ride was breathtakingly beautiful. It was quiet and peaceful and ended with a sunset that captured our experience that day...warm, comforting and spectacular!

We spent two weeks in Portland and let's just say after hitting all the popular hotspot in the first week, we went back up to spend the day with Roach and Handsome two other times in the second week. One to swim in the river and enjoy her amazing cooking and another to visit Scatters Waterfall around the corner to their house and of course for her amazing cooking...

I promised Handsome that I will spread the news of her cooking and brag about the amazing experience we had with her family to everyone. I travel at least 2 times every year, have been a member on trip advisor for many years, but this is my second post because I truly feel that this off the beaten track experience is the Jamaica that everyone must get to know. The beauty of Jamaica is not only the island but the people. Roach and Handsome of Berry Dale Portland Jamaica you are now on the map because you are the authentic Jamaican "One Love" experience!

With their permission I am posting their number so that others can call to book a rafting ride with Roach and convince her to cook them one of her famous rundowns :)

Roach and Handsome: 1 876 403 1232

Dayton, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
“A relaxing 3 hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The water in the river was down when we went, so it took 3 hours to travel down the river on these bamboo rafts. The time factor didn't matter to us. It was beautiful and very peaceful. The captains are very capable and skilled at what they do. I really don't know of anyplace else that is so unique in the modern world. There are many points throughout the journey where there are no houses or roads. Nothing but Mother Nature in all of her tropical beauty. There are many water birds and crystal clear water. We stopped about midway in the trip for refreshments and a bathroom break, complete with 4 little pigs at the place. Got some great pictures. Really enjoyed the whole thing. When we arrived, they bring your car into the park area and we hired someone to drive the car down the mountain to where we were delivered by raft. It was so well thought out. It's a little expensive, at $47.00 dollars each, but not for 3 hours of pleasure. The driver charge was $20.00.

Barrie, ON
6 attraction reviews
“A very quiet experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This has to be the quietest spot in Jamaica. Here you will actually hear the birds. No music, no horns. A lovely break in the trip. You will be approached by "floating bars and souvenieres" so be prepared! They are only on the first mile or so of the trip.
We had read about sharing your lunch with your "captain", but didn't understand. What happens is that halfway down, you will stop at a swimming hole and bar and cookery. You are expected, I guess, to buy lunch & drinks for yourself as well as the "captain".

Chicago, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
“Do This!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

So glad I did this! I had wanted to try bamboo rafting in MoBay or Ocho Rios and someone said wait until you get to Portland. Find Beres, River Guide (ask around). He has a lovely bar too overlooking the river. Some people pack picnic lunches and bring along beer, etc. There are rafting bars that you will come across on your ride. These "bartenders" are real characters and lots of fun. There is also a fantastic lunch spot midway down river with a make shift kitchen at the water. I had an incredible lunch prepared by a chef that lives up the hill from the water who does this for a living. It cost $8 U.S. and I will always remember this meal! This is an awesome way to spend a day in Jamaica.

Visited March 2013
Delmar, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Raft trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There is a raft trip to take on teh Riop Grande. Each bamboo raft holds 2 people. The river is calm. Very beautiful and peaceful. There is a spot to stop and have lunch.