Currently waiting in Kingston airport for our flight after a fabulous long weekend in Geejam. I can't recommend this place highly enough and we are already planning our return trip in November. We stayed in the Mento "hut" which was perfect - the room was beautiful, lots of white draping and dark wood, Apple TV pre-loaded with lots of movies and great music, a stunning bathroom with an oversized shower and a large balcony with a hugely comfortable double lounger, hot tub and hammock. Each of the rooms are set in their own private space in the rainforest for maximum privacy, we couldn't see any other rooms from our balcony, just the beautiful view over the bay. As one reviewer noted, the bedroom itself is small but really that is just the room for sleeping, the living area is the balcony where you'll spend your time if you are hanging out in the room. I'm also not sure why one reviewer thought the rooms were old, ours felt like it was brand new - ten times nicer than our room at home!
The atmosphere in Geejam is really unique, very chilled out and friendly with great mellow tunes playing from the Bushbar to give the perfect soundtrack to your holiday. The service is incredible, the staff are so friendly and manage to make you feel completely at home and well looked after without ever being overbearing or intrusive. The food is very good, particularly the seafood, (and food is a big deciding factor for us on whether we like a place), but please be reasonable and don't come expecting a mind blowing culinary experience - it's not San Fran! Huge thanks to Jason, Teddy and Nigel for making our rainy days and evenings in the Bushbar so enjoyable!
Port Antonio and the surrounding area is spectacular, chill out on Geejam beach which is a perfect private little cove for hotel guests only, go rafting on the Rio Grande and take in some jerk at Boston Bay (the chicken and sausage at Little David's jerk shack down the end is great). Geejam have drivers to take you wherever you want and who will bring you on a few detours along the way to show you all the pretty spots in Port Antonio (thank you Bentley and Nick!). To try to sum up, Geejam have managed to create a very special and luxurious place without losing the Jamaican vibe.
I should also say that we stopped into the newly reopened Trident (Geejam's swanky big sister hotel) last night for dinner and were blown away. Trident is better than anything I've seen in Miami and for those looking for seaside luxury rather than hilltop retreat, think about staying here rather than Geejam (or even better split your time between the two!). Trident is going to put Port Antonio on the map for the A listers again so get in quick before the prices go up at the end of the year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Geejam, an insider escape, is located in San San, close to Port Antonio, in the parish of Portland, on the pristine shores of north-east Jamaica. Achieving a stylish equilibrium between ultra modern technology and the intrinsic grace of the natural island landscape makes this the Geejam signature trademark. The property features seven double rooms, a state of the art Recording Studio, Healing Spa, Swimming Pool (Sanwood only), Gym and the Bushbar, forming an exclusive universe within the natural beauty of the grounds, which stretch down to its own private beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Geejam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Geejam Port Antonio
- Geejam Hotel Port Antonio
- Geejam Jamaica/Port Antonio