“Xtabi and Negril was everything we had hoped for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Negril

Sponsor:
New Hampshire
“Xtabi and Negril was everything we had hoped for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

Negril was everything I had hoped for and then some. We stayed at Xtabi in a cliff side cottage and loved it. Our cottage was great, and all the staff were so accommodating.
Great fun things to do....snorkel with famous Vincent...he is a local that goes up and down the cliff offering snorkel trips.
We decided to go one morning with another couple that we met at the resort. We packed our towels and a few redstripes and off we went. There were about ten of us snorkeling. Vincent actually was in the water with us and showed us all kinds of incredible sea creatures. On the way, back we and the other couple decided to rent Vincent for the rest of the day. We stopped back at Xtabi got more redstripe and headed down the coast toward and wayyy past Negril lighthouse. We went exploring inside of caves with the boat, stopped for beer runs...dove overboard and swam when we got hot. Vincent was fun, knowledgeable and a great tour guide.
This day was one of my favorite. It was also a great price. He asked for 80 dollars a couple. That meant a total of 160 dollars...what a GREAT bargain we ended up giving him a great tip as well.

Another day we hired a local taxi cab driver, Kingsley to take us to the waterfalls, a fishing village and the rum plantation. We left at 8 am and didn't return til eight at night. We drove over the mountains, went to Kingsley's hometown, and just got to know so much about the Jamaican Culture. It was a blast.
We also spent a few days walking seven mile beach and trying many of the local bars/ restaurants/ walked through the craft market..Some great woodcarvings there.
Went to the duty free shopping mall across from Kuyaba enjoyed shopping but got thirsty and ordered a red stripe at the open café there and were shocked to pay 4 dollars for it. Especially when you can get one for under 2 dollars along the beach.
One day we parasailed, it is like being a kite in the air and the view was breathtaking.
We also enjoyed a sunset cruise on the wild thing. There are just so many things to do or not do depending on your mood.
Another day we sat ourselves in lounge chairs at Kuyaba and sipped tropical drinks..
As for the food, we ate at a lot of different place…some pricey some dirt-cheap.
I had the best Lobster Thermadore ever, at Kuyaba...a little pricey for Jamaica ($24 dollars) but worth every bite.
We ate a 3 dives twice the food was good and the atmosphere very laid back and refreshing.
We went to Ricks (the day we were out in Vincent's boat....he brought us there told us we should go have a drink and he would wait for us in the boat in the cove. As there was no place to dock a boat). It was really quite incredible...but drinks WAY over priced.
We ate at LTU Pub and the food was great.
Rockhouse dinner was romantic and very good, but pricey.
Sips and bite had great Jerk chicken
Sweet Spice had super food…no alcohol.
Just Natural is a cute open-air restaurant on the street side near Xtabi with good food.
The two things that I would not do again would be
the RhinoTours(2 man boats ) It was really choppy the day(actually too choppy to really enjoy them ) we were to take these from the beach to the cliffs, and the guides decided that we would have to stay along the beach side because of the waves.
We also did the black river safari which was ok but not worth the ride or the money.
All in all Jamaica was a wonderful trip. I had some concerns regarding being approached by venders as we walked on the beach, but it was minimal and if you said no thanks, they did not badger you. I cannot say enough for how kind, caring and helpful the people were.

Bodega, California
“7 Weeks in Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2006

What can I say? We were in Negril, in a little rented salabe house for almost 2 months on the far west end on the cliffs past the lighthouse. In those 2 months I read 2 1/2 books, hosted my god-daughter for a week and showed her around, took an awesome Wild Thing Cruise complete with snorkeling, horseback riding and lunch, ate at wonderful restaurants, cooked wonderful meals at home, had the great fortune of eating lobster straight from the sea, toured Roaring River with a friend who grew up there, partied like rock stars, played music...did gigs at Ragabones, Pirate's Cave and LTU..spent quiet time on my "secret" beach...spent quality time with friends old and new all beloved and enjoyed every blessed sunset of every blessed day. Got a great tan to boot.

My goddaughter, upon seeing her first Green Flash remarked..."you can see the earth move here"...you can feel it too, in the rhythem of the people and the music that is everywhere, in the peace you feel just walking down the road. God is close by and you feel that presence every single day. Jamaica is the only place on the planet that I drink beer...it is also the only place where I pray.

I wish you all wonderful experiences whereever your journies take you.

Jah Rastafari.

Hartford
“Touring Jamaica Alone”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

In November of 2005 I traveled for 9 days in Jamaica by myself. Without knowing any better I scheduled to fly into Kingston. Do not fly into Kingston!!! I took a local bus, number 98, into downtown. There I caught a minibus to Mandeville. They cram over 20 people into these vehicles and wait until they are full before leaving. You can wait over an hour or two before departing.
After a short stay in Mandeville I traveled to Negril. I stayed the remaining 7 days there. Negril is fun but edgy. There are a lot of prostitutes and gigolos wandering around. It was off-season so people were even more desperate. Traveling alone I was the only white face in several places. Being so identifiable as a tourist was a liability during my travels. Although I made it off the island without any "harse" altercations I won't be returning.
The island is beautiful but too dangerous. I mean who wants to have to worry so much when they are on vacation?

Minneapolis, MN
“Warning-read this before you go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2005

I have been on many different vacations and this was by far the WORST place I have ever been. I will try to make this short and sweet as well as completely honest:

THE PEOPLE-extremely pushy and won't leave you alone even when you ask nicely and push drugs on you constantly and become very angry and rude when you politely decline. Then they follow you. There is an overall unsafe feeling when walking about anywhere. (I am not an elderly person (31yrs old with 2 other couples)

THE FOOD-EVERYTHING is beans and rice with some jerk chicken-good at first but ZERO variety gets old after awhile.

SERVICE-All restaurants with the exception of one (she got a huge tip) were soo slow. Example-It took 1 hour to get our bill one meal and 45 minutes just for a glass of water for another meal) you can forget a refill on your drinks.

SHOPPING-Really non-existant unless you again want to be trampled with people pulling at you from every direction to buy all the same things that are right down the beach. There is really not that much variety either unless you are in the market for 100 shell necklaces.

THE BEACH-When you can find a place to sit this was really pretty-the sand was soft and white and the water was warm. If it weren't for the beach the trip would have been a complete waste of money-but hey, you can go to a beach anywhere. Drug sales everywhere.

THE AIRPORT-VERY humid (dehydrated when I arrived) and got ill right away from lack of water (my own fault) it was sooo unorganized and we were hearded like cattle and crammed in a hallway when we left and had to rely on the "telephone game" to find out which airlines they were allowing to be gated-then you had to squeeze your way through to get on your plane. (NOT for the claustrophobic person)

I can't tell you how happy I and our entire group was to land in our home state. I have never been happier to be home from a vacation in my life. This year I am going back to Mexico where I don't have to be afraid to walk down the beach and a polite "no thanks" is greeted with a smile and then they walk away.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved all the resorts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

My wife and I have stayed at:Grand Lido Sans Soui,
Riu Trpical Bay,Beaches Negril,and Couples Ohios Rius.

Best food,Lodging,People the best.Go way out of there way to help you.7 mile Beach in Negril is a U nbelievable beach sheer bliss.If you go take in Rick's Cafe and Maragritta Ville.Always something to do or just relax on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.I have been around so,I know what I am talking aboutIf you have any questions whatsoever e-mail me and I will fill you in.

Jamaica My home away fro home.

H.R.Pryor

Been to Negril? Share your experiences!