“Best vacation spot in NEGRIL!!” 5 of 5 stars

Sea Grape Villas
West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Miami Beach, Florida
“Best vacation spot in NEGRIL!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Big shout out to Juicy, Bentley , Christine and the fabulous owner of Sea Grape Villas!! My husband and I have stayed at Sea Grape many times over the last 15+ years. There is no better and we know b/c we have stayed in or visited many other properties. Spent my 40th bday there with closest friends. Took all 3 houses. Love the privacy!! Is the only way to visit NEGRIL, trust me. Stayed on beach first few trips. Went to cliffs (sea grape) and never looked back. Is total chill! Total Irie! All your needs will be met and you will have complete privacy from prying eyes plus the best sunsets and direct ocean access!

Room Tip: Must stay in Sea Grape Villa. Or Wild Grape. Both on water edge!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We arrived from Jamaica to Miami on April 29th.Now I have time to write to you of the most memorable trip we have taken in a long time.Your staff of Juicy,Bently,and Christine made our stay at Seagrape a totally unique experience.From the time we arrived until we left they treated us like royalty.You are truly blessed to have such warm and engaging people working for you.Seagrape is to be experienced.The lush landscape kept revealing new secrets each day.I cannot fail to mention our constant companions Lucky and Blackie the Seagrape dogs.Several times we had Juicy cook our meals.He loves preparing fresh local food with a personal touch that left us most satisfied.Everyone treated us like old friends.We will come back and have been spreading the word on Seagrape to our friends.They truly understand what hospitality is all about!!!! With deepest regards,Pat,Lydia,and Tom Gainor

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

If you want a place to chill out with a whole lot of privacy, this is the place to go. We've been to quite a few places in Negril and this is one of a few that I really want to go back to. The staff is excellent. Polite, kind, helpful and so much more. We bought some of our own groceries to cut down on cost a bit, but for the price you pay to have a meal prepared, served and cleaned up we shouldn't wasted our time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester,CT.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Beware of a private renter, who is calling his apartment on the,
bankrupt POINT VILLAGE property, SEA GRAPE. Nothing
is open, not a restaurant or bar, and it is all run down.

I almost booked with him until the paypal bill came for me to pay.
I knew I was looking at POINT VILLAGE, because I am a citizen of
Jamaica. He is using the name of the West End Sea Grape,as his own.
Sea Grape is an amazing property that is right on the cliffs.
Great views and tranquility awaits you.

Room Tip: The West End of Negril is more laid back and quiet. Nice to go to the wonderful 7 Mile Beach, but a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have been coming to the west end of Negril for almost 30 years and this year, I stayed at Sea Grape for the first time. It was heavenly. We loved the privacy, the solitude, and the comfort of Sea Grape villa. Christine, Juicy and Bentley were wonderful hosts. We had several dinners at other places and Juicy's food is the best. It is delicious, reasonably priced and delivered to us. What more could we ask for!! I appreciate that Sea Grape is simple and clean with attention to detail. (fresh flowers upon arrival). I am sure this was the beginning of many more trips to Sea Grape.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was just the right place for us. Big enough to sprawl out, but some cozy spots where we ended up being together. We loved the ocean viewing spots. FANTASTIC cove around the corner to snorkel in. Really, a magical underwater place that was better than any of the sites were we went scuba diving.
ONLY problem were the tropical-omnipresent bugs, and only that for one of us (who is a target for mosquitoes).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

As popular as the trend to forgoing travel agents and reliable “all inclusive” is for something different, the savvy traveler knows such a departure is always a gamble as you are essentially booking sight unseen. Doing so for a weekend getaway not far from home is one thing, but it’s a whole other proposition when travelling thousands of miles away. Very costly if it turns out to be awful… Happily, in this case, the reviews were “spot on”. I stayed at Big Grape this winter and found it was all the reviews said - and more. For example, as I was settling in, I learned there was no house phone so I was perplexed as to how to contact the staff. I sent an e-mail to the owners and within minutes, Christine arrived at my door and explained that I just needed to approach the service cottage and call out. That was rarely necessary going forward as each of them checked in with me several times a day.

Booking: We considered Sea Grape Villas based on the online reviews from several sites, but only decided to go forward after our many, many questions were met with a level of detailed response not commonly seen. Our whole “dialogue” took place via e-mail to which the owners responded remarkably promptly. This became even more important as a trip to the ER two days before we were leaving resulted in my godchild being unable to make the trip. Thus I was a single women travelling solo unexpectedly. I’d never been to Negril and been to MOBAY once many years ago for an overnight business stay.

Location and Grounds - Big Grape sits further into the lush gardens with a view of the sea from the second story veranda which makes it cool and shady during the hottest parts of the day. The gardens and grounds are just beautiful and worked on daily. One sunbathing area on the cliff is shared by Big Grape and Sea Grape, but there is only one umbrella which makes getting out of the sun challenging until you discover the lovely spot containing two chairs and another umbrella secluded in the gardens just steps away. This quickly became a favorite spot.

Security - The villas are private, in a secure location that is walled, gated and patrolled by two dogs. I was surprised to get a friendly “check-in” several times each evening by the gardner/security person, Bentley. The two resident dogs, Lucky and Blackie were my constant companions after I fed them, put out a water bowl and played with them the first night. They are well-behaved dogs and very protective of guests, which I found after I had to escort the massage therapist out the door after reassuring them (and her) that it was ok for her to be in the villa with me. By the third night I was asking Juicy to prepare treats for them as they became my steadfast companions at every meal. By day they followed me everywhere and slept on the veranda every night. Enjoying them really made the stay beyond enjoyable.

Rooms: We chose Big Grape because we wanted to “unplug” as this was the first vacation we’ve taken without my having to bring along my work laptop in more than 15 years. So the fact that it had no TV, no phone, and a great iPod dock was just what we were seeking. The iPod dock proved to be unnecessary since I could hear the great music from Rick’s in the evenings. They always stopped at a reasonable time, so it was quite a treat. The two bedrooms on the main floor in Big Grape contain a king and a queen bed respectively. Both have AC which worked well, however, to my delight, the loft master does not. I slept in all three rooms to get an idea of the differences, but far preferred the loft master bedroom with its great cross breeze, aided by a ceiling fan and mosquito netting over the bed to give a cool and refreshing dose of night air. It was so cool that I had to use the blanket each night. Waking up to the ocean view through the open door was quite enjoyable each morning. The owners were kind enough to advise that one needs at least 20% or more Deet in your chosen bug spray, so the Coleman 40% Deet Insect Repellent (Walgreens, Amazon) did the job. I also took their recommendation and bought the insecticide called BOP and the bug coils. Spraying once before nightfall and burning coils on the main floor each day took care of the problem nicely.

Housekeeping: The housekeeper Christine was gracious and a font of information about all one could require. She kept the villa clean and decorated with fresh flowers. Christine repeatedly asked what she could do to make me more comfortable and I soon learned that if I left a dish in the sink or towel on the edge of the shower she would swoop in and set all to rights. She offered laundry services, but I managed easily by hand washing using the Woolite I purchased at the Hi-Lo.

Concierge - The staff at Sea Grape do a great job of assisting you in figuring out how to get around, how to travel through what Rick Steves calls “the back door” of Jamaica. I went to the local produce market, paid a visit to a local kindergarten, the craft market, had a pedicure at the spa, and spent an afternoon at two of the recommended beach venues. It was so relaxing and quiet on the grounds; I had to literally force myself to leave.

Food/Beverage – Foodie that I am and with food allergies, I expected to cook quite a bit. To my surprise Juicy’s cooking erased any thought of doing so after the first meal. I had bought all fresh veggies to cook, but soon turned all supplies over to his excellent care and have not enjoyed veggies prepared so many ways. We prefer a vegetarian- pescetarian cuisine, but tried his jerk chicken – it was very tasty. Juicy’s recipes were a gastronomic delight and the portions are large. I ate lunch out once at Kuyaba and it was good, but costly. After that, I left the all cooking to Juicy, which was more convenient and economical. You do NOT want to miss his lobster.

Tipping: Travelling 80% for my job, I’ve experienced many tipping scenarios. A gesture of goodwill by tipping up front is generally greatly appreciated by hard working staff in any venue, so I customarily tip ½ at the beginning of the stay and the balance or more at the end. The Sea Grape website gives you some guidance by recommending US$5-$10 per staff member per day, but that’s the only place you’ll get some guidance. The tripadvisor site states you should expect to tip at the rate of 10% of the cost of a meal, service or rental as the norm. Tipping is much the same in Jamaica as in the states with the exception that no Jamaican asked or hinted that they expected a tip. If asked, my experience was a graceful reply that it’s up to you, which can be frustrating if you are intent upon rewarding good service. I tipped a total of 45% and split it among the three as the service was exemplary. I tipped 10% for taxi's and other ancillary services.

Ambiance – Laid back, the low key routine makes even the day to day relaxing. All things considered, this was the best vacation I’ve had - ever. I slept in every day, and did not have to do a thing – no cooking, cleaning, laundry, bed changing, towel drying, etc. As you ladies know, even on vacation we’re always the one to cook, wash up dishes, straighten up, make sight-seeing and entertainment arrangements, do laundry – there’s no “vacation” from the daily routine.... Except at Sea Grape in the capable hands of Juicy. Christine and Bentley.

Room Tip: If you prefer to stay out of the sun and don't like A/C running when you sleep at night, Big Gra...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Sea Grape Villas? Share your experiences!