“Paradise - with one problem: the neighbours” 4 of 5 stars

Sea Grape Villas
West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #3 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise - with one problem: the neighbours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed with husband, son & his girlfriend here at the end of May. The situation is idyllic and the villa beautiful. The staff are really wonderful - Juicy could not be more attentive, caring and friendly - and he cooks well too! Christine is lovely and cleans the villa and Bentley makes you feel safe (though I never, for a minute, felt unsafe) by patrolling at night and waving as he passes down by the sparkling blue sea. The two dogs, Blackie and Lucky are delightful. They follow (if you want) and share the terrace & tidbits but never venture inside. We became very attached to them.
We were in Wild Grape - the newest of the 3 villas. (Sea Grape looks lovely too.) it is very private (staff ring a bell before they approach), surrounded by beautiful seagrape and bougainvillea. Birds, butterflies abound. The terrace is perfect for watching the Magnificent Frigate birds and the glorious sunsets - rum punch in hand.
The West End area of Negril still has charm, no pavements and minimal hassling. There is a friendly foodstore over the road - a windy LTU pub at the top of the hill to cool in and several local restaurants I'd recommend - Ivan's (our favourite) Rockhouse (best meal) & Pushcart (great rum punch in green coconuts!). All almost perfect.
Here's the non-perfect problem:
Next door at Negril Escape there was a very loud karaoke (more & more out of tune) till 1pm on our first night, We'd come from UK so were coping with jet-lag too.
On the Sat - enormous speakers by the fake windmill net door - pointing in our direction - heralded a Techno rave. We ate out but couldn't escape it. it went on till 2am - our walls shook, our beds shook, and our stomachs shook. Way above health & safety levels! You couldn't read, sleep, think. Son & I were on terrace, hugging each other at 1.30 am feeling as if we were being tortured - unable to hear each other speak. It wiped out Sunday for us.
Now - some people may like Techno - one group staying in Big Grape went over & joined in. That may be the only answer. Or to walk down the road until out of earshot and watch the sun come up...
The staff were really lovely and consoling next day and tried to find out why it had gone on so late but apparently the gig had obtained a permit. The owners were also great - Marc emailed, was kind & concerned & did his best to make things right by us.
It is not the fault of the villas and I know they will be trying to solve this problem - and I really hope they will. No-one else has mentioned this, so I can only assume that the enormous woofer speakers & late hours are new. If it hadn't been for this (not un-small problem for us) this would have been a 5 star review for sure.)
By the time you read this - things may have changed - but if you don't want anything to spoil your peace - bear this in mind. Having said that, I doubt anywhere on Negril is very quiet - especially at weekends -and on the Thurs, Fri, Sun, Mon, Tues - the peace was perfect...(though we never completely relaxed in case it happened again) So it still may be the most idyllic spot around.
End of May gave us beautiful mornings, snorkelling from our private ladder into the clear sea (watch for jellyfish in the evenings), with rain most afternoons (which was welcome) high humidity from time to time & lots of mozzies - but all to be expected & didn't spoil the hols. The storms at night made for a spectacular light show from our terrace. (Also fireflies!)
Son & girlfriend did an advanced diving course with the excellent Marine Life Divers (PADI)
we did - in spite of the neighbours - have a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Wild Grape is gorgeous & private with sea view (but next to noise proble if it continues) Sea Gr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I am not an employee nor do I have any vested interest in Sea Grape. This review comes from the heart and when I say you will not find a more relaxing place to stay in Negril, Please take my word. This was my 10th trip to Negril and I have to stay the Sea Grape offers everything for a fraction of the price some of the bigger places offer. Our villa was spacious, clean and served our needs perfectly. I have eaten at my places in Negril over the past 10 visits and the best food I have eaten is made on premises. Remember this name. "JUICY"!! This fine gentlemen looks after he place and provides the type of customer service that one would expect. I purchased food for dinner and he cooked a masterpiece. Each morning blue mountain coffee and toast was brought to our villa.

Here are some tips:
1. Bring dog treat from Lucky and Blacky
2. Bring bug spray
3. Snorkle Gear

I can honestly say that Sea Grape will be the place I stay from now on.

Well Done Sea Grape.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Private, pleasant, and the relaxed West End. Small and gated with a back to nature vibe. Chef on site..a treat. May...so a bit buggy at certain times.Love the ladder down to a personal swimming lagoon.

Room Tip: The Big Grape is lovely, but not right on the sea like the other 2. Gardens are lush and mr. Juicy t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Poncha Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here late April 2013. We originally booked the Big Grape property. We arrived to a sunset on the sea, and to a very friendly greeting by the neighbors in the Sea Grape villa. The Big Grape was nice, with two air conditioned bedrooms. Beds were excellent. There are two outdoor seating areas. From the upstairs balcony, you can see the ocean. You don't really get the sea breeze due to the beautiful gardens and trees on the property. We had Juicy make my wife her birthday dinner. It was delicious and comparable to pricing at most restaurants in Negril. We moved to the Sea Grape after two nights simply because the view from it is amazing, whether on the front porches, or in the main living room. The living and cooking areas are covered but open air, with no screens FYI - windows have louvers that can be closed. But the air conditioned bedrooms are all screened and mostly bug proof. There are three villas nicely separated on the property, and only two were booked when we were there, leaving it delightfully empty and quiet. We jumped and dove from the nice concrete platform by the sea, which has a sturdy access ladder to get out of the water - it's super deep everywhere here - 30 feet minimum. Two of the villas share a sea entry, and the other property has its own. There are jelly fish - we got stung by a few that were only mildly irritating. Once we rented snorkel equipment and fins from Negril Escape (next door), we always checked the water and avoided them. Morning water is calmer, cleaner, with more fish activity and less jelly fish. We snorkeled up and down the coast here, there really is a bunch of fish and beautiful coral. The coral cliffs have caves and crevasses making the terrain interesting. Water was turbulent in areas by cliffs but use common sense and it is safe - the waves were always very minimal.
Another piece of useful information is that you are expected to tip the staff that is there. There are three - Juicy is the host, cook, and go-to man; Bentley is the gardener and security; Christine is the housekeeper. They are all great, I found the housekeeper a little surly though which I personally don't mind. The property owner suggests 10% of your total stay gratuity, or "$5-$15 per day per staff member". Something to keep in mind while budgeting these properties. I found Negril expensive compared to other mostly third world locations, and everyone in the tourist industry is ready to milk every last possible cent from every tourist. From our other interactions and other hotel stays in Jamaica, most places don't demand or even suggest a tip for the staff. Know what stuff costs and stand your ground.
I highly recommend this place if you like the quiet, and aren't looking for the party scene - the main 7 Mile Beach aka Long Bay is the place for chaos, lots of party people, sand, and alcohol.

Room Tip: The sea view from Sea Grape is worth the extra $, but Big Grape is great, too. Sea Grape has better...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

It was my first time to Jamaica, my husband and I stayed at the Wild Grape for a week. We were greeted by Donovan at the airport.We had transportation set up by Marc. We were welcomed by Juicy (cook), Christine (housekeeper), and Bentley (groundskeeper). When you drive through the gates, it's so secluded, just beautiful! When we chose to stay in, it was so convenient to have meals on the premises. Juicy is a wonderful cook, the portions were huge. Everything he made from breakfast to dinner was fantastic! We had the most beautiful views, in the morning and evening. We were close enough to walk to local places or take a quick taxi ride. When we took a daytrip and traveled to YS Falls (which is spectacular), Donovan drove us. We were comfortable knowing we had reliable transportation. Everyone took care of us and made sure we had everything we needed. We literally let ourselves just relax and take in the beauty of the property. The villa was very clean and well maintained. The water was too rough to go snorkeling, however we took great pictures. I made a mistake of not using the net the first night, the mosquitos were out in abundance. We learned to close up at dusk, use the ceiling fans, and use the net. Lucky and Blacky were two dogs on the premises. I took treats for them and they followed me everywhere. The lights went out one evening, we took Marc's suggestion and had flashlights. We walked up to the front and Juicy said they would be on soon. We went back and layed on our loungers outside in the moonlight for about half an hour. The lights went back on shortly after that. We began planning our trip back when we were there. We plan to go back in 6 months and take our daughter. We plan on staying at the Sea Grape and know she will love the property as much as we do!

Room Tip: The fans help cool and keep mosquitos away. USE THE NETS.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We began our search for our perfect wedding spot with really no real direction other than Negril Jamaica. After doing some casual searching I came across Sea Grape. The pictures intrigued me so I reached out via email for additional information and to see if they had ever done weddings there. I received prompt replies from Marc who would turn out to be my saving grace in planning our wedding, as he had his wedding there at Sea Grape. We planned our trip and connected with a wonderful planner in Negril named Isabelle Stewart. We rented all 3 of the villas there at Sea Grape so we could have the property for our group and wedding. What a special week it was for us and our family/friends.

We had the most wonderful time playing on the cliffs and sunbathing during the day and enjoying the fun evenings there at the resort. Loved that we could walk right across the street to a mart and walk to some great sites/restaurants. As a group we took the glass bottom boat to the beach for a fun experience. Other days if we wanted to head to the beach or shopping we just took taxi's that Juicy was happy to assist with. Just such a wonderful location and the sunsets make the day complete.

For us the wedding was the highlight our our trip! We can't say enough wonderful things about Juicy, Bentley & Christine. We consider them a part of our family now. They took such wonderful care of us the entire week and made our wedding day and evening so special. They went out of there way to decorate and assist. We decided to not take the group offsite for the reception, instead Juicy made us the most wonderful wedding dinner. He even did curry goat for the groom. Juicy might just be one of the best cooks ever! We enjoyed everything he made all week and really went to so much care for our wedding dinner. There were licked bowls and plates I do believe! We just can't say enough about how wonderful Juicy, Bentley & Christine are. They are truly special people and we miss them so very much!

We stayed in Wild Grape for our weeks stay. We had 2 small children staying onsite with family in Sea Grape and 2 couples staying in Big Grape. We loved the space and privacy that we had and have never been at such peace before. The children even loved it, ages 2 and 4. They couldn't really get in the water, but they had a great time exploring! We held our wedding on the cliffs outside Sea Grape and I walked along the paths from Wild Grape to our wedding spot. Such beautiful flowers to make it complete! We held our reception there at Sea Grape and then did our dinner on the patio of Big Grape. We had around 16 people for dinner and it worked perfect! The best day of our lives for sure! Did I mention my bridesmaids? Lucky and Blacky were my bridesmaids. How I love those 2 dogs. They stuck by my side the entire week and I cried when I had to leave them. Love that our wedding pictures have them in the shots!

I could go on and on about how much I love Sea Grape from top to bottom. We just love Juicy, Bentley & Christine and are already planning our trip back for another week next year if not sooner!! Thank you so much Sea Grape for making our wedding and stay perfect!!!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that if you're looking for a "Resort" type experience Seagrape isn't for you. If you want to relax on an amazing property and soak in the Jamaican vibe then you've found the right place.

A few notes:

The staff - Juicy, Bentley & Christine are wonderful. We were well looked after and thoroughly enjoyed their company. Donovan was great too.

Juicy's cooking - The food we were provided was excellent. Lots of variety served family style freshly made. We cancelled dinner reservations at a hotel one night as we preferred Juicy's homestyle meals.

Big Grape villa - The villa was spotless upon our arrival. It's better than the pictures. Open, airy and tastefully decorated. The upper deck and the lower eating area were used everyday. I don't think we sat on the inside furniture once. We spent countless hours on the lower patio/hammock listening to music and enjoying a drink.

"Guard Dogs" - Blackie and Lucky are great. They were entertaining and were great company as we have two dogs at home.

Other guests - I don't know if we were lucky or if Seagrape attracts the type of people we met but I suspect the latter. We couldn't have met nicer people to share some time with. Saying that, if you want complete privacy the option is yours.

Setting and Grounds - Stunning, colourful, lush, well maintained and private. The view at the seafront was breathtaking. Words can't really describe. See for yourself.

We explored Negril and hit the beach for a few hours when the sea was too rough on the cliffs but heading "home" each night though was the best. Through the blue gate, walking down the path to Big Grape or to the seaside chairs for a sunset. Fantastic.

I can see why so many people return to Seagrape.

Room Tip: We stayed at Big Grape but we saw both of the other villas, Seagrape & Wildgrape. Each of the th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Grape Villas? Share your experiences!