“5 star price for 2.5 star accommodation!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Grape Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Sea Grape Villas
You added Sea Grape Villas to your Saves list
West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland
“5 star price for 2.5 star accommodation!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

May be it was the time of the year we stayed there! We paid premium (about $420/nt) to stay in Wild grape over the holidays. First the good: Amazing location. Wonderful view. Friendly staff. Owner was very helpful throughout the planning stage and timely answered all the questions. Gave us great directions to find the place, arriving late night. Bentley was there to greet us. We woke up to a wonderful view in the morning. Read so much about Juicy's cooking that we ordered breakfast for the first morning. I wish I took a picture of what was delivered. 2 egg scramble with bacon per person was delivered in one plate for all four of us. We even questioned, really, he used 8 eggs?? It looked half. And the 'fabulous blue mountain coffee' was very diluted dark matter.. We finally got to taste the real coffee when we went to a local coffee shop. That was the only time we ate in house. The first impressions are so important. Juicy was good with making sure checking in to see if we want anything. We had a car, so we were pretty independent, purchasing our own groceries. Most of the time when we left the property in our car, there was really no one at the door to open it for us. We had to open and close ourselves. Which is not a big deal, accept, it is so easy to enter the property through the main road, unless there is a guard there all the time. So we made sure we locked our valuables each time we left. We were sooo frustrated with the lack of water pressure. When we questioned it, we were told that west end road properties have had this problem, gets worse by the year. It is impossible to take a shower in house. We removed the shower head to help with the flow to no avail. This was a problem throughout our stay. When we were dining at Catcha Falling Star and Rock House, their water pressure was just fine in the restrooms. So they figured out a way to solve the problem (water tank may be??), if there is a problem in general. The furniture is tired. Ceiling fan in the master bedroom makes noise, and the air conditioner in the second bedroom barely cools! In the 7 nights we stayed there, our towels and bed sheets were changed only once, and that's after we pulled the sheets off..OMG! the mattress looked gross in one of the twin beds. There was no mattress cover either.. Just fitted sheet over this gross spongy material. Other furniture in the living room looked nice, but we were using outdoor seating most of the time. Refrigerator needs replacement.. It has a broken drawer, and looks to be at least 20 yrs old! We kept reminding ourselves that location makes up for the short comings, until we went to Catch Falling Star for lunch. Beautiful grounds, accommodations, run more professionally.. and cheaper rates than what we paid! I went back and forth whether to give this review a 2 or a 3 star.. At the end, I choice 3 because of nice owner/staff and location location location!! If you get a good deal, I say stay here.. But not at the levels we paid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Marc P, Owner at Sea Grape Villas, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
I am so sorry Sea Grape did not meet all of this guest’s expectations. We are always disappointed when this happens, but thankful that most of our guests truly enjoy their stays. This guest compiled quite a list of issues with the property, so I will do my best to respond to the most pertinent ones.

To begin with, it seems that perhaps Sea Grape might not have been the right fit these guests and that they would have preferred to stay at Catcha Falling Star, a larger resort down the road from us. Catcha offers a very different experience from Sea Grape, with many rooms and cottages and a lively bar/restaurant scene. It does not, however, offer the privacy and tranquility of Sea Grape, which sets us apart from other properties in Negril—and which most of our guests highly value.

With regard to water pressure, I regret that this was a legitimate complaint at the time this guest stayed at Sea Grape. Jamaica is currently experiencing drought conditions, causing the water company not to deliver regular water service to Negril and resulting in periods of low pressure in December 2012. To remedy this unforeseen problem, we installed a second reserve water tank and a new water pump in January 2013 that has improved water pressure in all three villas.

Two things we have never had complaints about before are Juicy’s coffee and portion size. At Sea Grape, we serve Jamaican High Mountain Coffee (we never represent that it is specifically Blue Mountain), which Juicy brings guests every morning on their outdoor veranda. Most guests find his coffee delicious! Moreover, Juicy’s meals consistently get rave reviews and his portions are generous such that guests usually have leftovers. Therefore, I am surprised by this guest’s dissatisfaction with the preparation and portioning of the eggs.

Finally, I must take issue with this guest’s characterization of Wild Grape villa’s décor as tired or dirty. Just days before this guest arrived, I was in Wild Grape with a professional photographer who was taking pictures for our upcoming website redesign. At that time, we spent significant time examining, cleaning, and posing Wild Grape’s furnishings. Both in my opinion, and as the new photos will reflect, this guest’s comments are simply not a fair characterization of Wild Grape’s décor and current condition. I hope they will not deter future guests from experiencing our wonderful property!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Plymouth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Big thanks to Lynn and Marc. My wife and I with five friends were completely satisfied with Sea Grape! Juicey, Bentley and Christine go out of thier way to make sure your stay is a memorable one and once you go, I guarentee you will want to keep going back to the Grape! Your private cove to swim, our villa with spectacular views of sunsets, and Juicey cooking some of the best meals we've had there! Walking distance to some great restaurants and entertainment. 7 mile beach is only a ten minute drive and when you feel like venturing out Juicey is there to assist. I can't say enough beautiful things about Sea Grape. The villas' are fantastic, the grounds are beautiful, not to mention the convient market across the street for grocieries. This is our second trip to the Grape and we are already making plans for next year. Again our thanks and respect to Lynn, Marc, Juicey, Bentley, Christine, and not to forget our pals Blackie and Lucky, miss ya all!!!!!! Much love and respect from Karen and Vince

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband, daughter and I just got back from a fabulous stay at Sea Grape last month and we are already planning our return trip. Sea Grape is in one of the most beautiful spots in the world- somewhere between heaven and earth. The views are stunning and the ocean is yours to enjoy- all by yourself! Make sure you make watching the sunset a priority. We have stayed at Sea Grape before and have always been impressed by the warmth of the staff and Juicy's cooking- his jerk chicken is worth the trip! If you have the will power to skip his cooking for a night our family always enjoys a meal at the Rock House. Enjoy your visit to paradise.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were inspired to take a Jamacian vacation by a breath taking photo we saw of a sunset in Negril and boy was it worth it! We stayed at Sea Grape Villas in Negril. Not only were the views of endless sea, but the property itself was amazing. My husband and I stayed at Sea Grape for 5 days, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. ask Juicy to make you a meal and it will be the most amazing authentic meals prepared for you. The villas have their own private verandas and a swimming spot all to yourselves. Sea Grape is clean and spaciuos. This holidyou takes you away from it all. I would recommend this locale to friends, family and colleagues. Unlike anywhere you will find! Thanks Sea Grape!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at Sea Grape for 6 nights at the end of May and had an amazing vacation. I was greeted at the airport by Donovan who the owners Marc and Lynn had conveniently arranged to pick me up. The scenic ride from Montego Bay to Negril got me excited for the week ahead as I passed a few of my favorite Jerk Chicken spots (Bourbon Beach and 3 Dives) and took in some breath taking sea views from the road with a reggae soundtrack in the background. I arrived at Sea Grape just in time to crack open a Red Stripe and enjoy one of most breath taking sunsets I had ever seen.

I spent the week in the Wild Grape Villa with some great friends who met me there for the vacation. Wild Grape is a gorgeous villa that has it's own private sea entrance, a large patio that overlooks the sea, a waterbed for lounging in the common area, and a beautiful outdoor shower which is surrounded by tropical flowers. The villa is very private and gives you the feeling that you are in a rain forest with perfectly manicured gardens throughout the property. Wild Grape is tastefully decorated with newly renovated bathrooms which made me feel like I was in an upscale hotel without losing the quaintness of a private villa.

I couldn't get enough of sitting down by the water underneath an umbrella made of palm tree which was a perfect place to read my book and drink a cocktail or Red Stripe. Jumping off the small cliff into the water and private swimming area was a perfect cool down to the hot weather. Staying on the cliff side of Negril is a unique experience which I preferred to staying on the beach.

There are many great local bars and restaurants within a short walk from Sea Grape. We tried a few of the local restaurants but nothing compared to the home cooked meals that the property manager/cook Juicy would cook for us. We had Juicy prepare several meals for us during the week and each one blew us away. I highly recommend the ginger fish and the sweet and sour fish. We ordered some memorable local side dishes such as callaloo, mashed pumpkin, rice and peas, and fried plantains. It was very nice to have dinner brought to us on our veranda during sunset. I loved having this option instead of having to go out to a restaurant each night. Juicy every morning would also bring us fresh coffee, bread & fruit on our veranda.

In addition to Juicy, Sea Grape's friendly staff consists of Bentley and Christine. Bentley is the security guard/ grounds keeper who keeps the grounds immaculate. Christine is the housekeeper and did a great job keeping the villa tidy and clean during our stay. They were all very friendly and it was a pleasure to talk to them during our stay. They definitely made me feel like I was at home.

Overall it was a fantastic vacation and I can't wait to return to Sea Grape!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed in the Sea Grape Villa for four nights. Overall, the villa is fairly priced. It is spacious and comfortable and offers beautiful views of the sea. You essentially have your own private swimming and sunbathing spot, replete with wonderful outdoor showers. Sea Grape feels secluded and peaceful though it is centrally located in the west end of Negril. The rooms are nicely furnished and tastefully decorated. We had no complaints about the general quality of the villa.

We did have some disappointments with the villa. Though certainly not the owners' fault, the mosquitos are a nuisance in the summer. It is nearly impossible to eradicate them from the living room, and we needed to use the mosquito net at night. Cockroaches also hang out in the master bathroom shower after dark. Those who are sensitive to insects should be forewarned.

The kitchen is very small and just has a two-burner electric stove, which sporadically doesn't work. There is no oven. The refrigerator is old and needs to be kept closed with a water bottle. We had planned to cook most of our meals at the villa but ended up eating out most nights instead.

Additionally, the showers in both of the bathrooms have almost no water pressure, which makes it difficult for ladies to wash their hair. The air conditioner in the master bedroom is not effective enough to cool down the room. I informed the owner, who does not live in Jamaica, of these issues. He promptly responded, and had Juicy, the property manager, take over. Juicy told me that a technician would come to fix it. However, this never occurred.

Overall, Sea Grape Villa has a spectacular location and the owner is very responsive and helpful. Visit during the high season when the weather is cooler and the mosquitos are not an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Marc P, Owner at Sea Grape Villas, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you for your helpful review--we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Sea Grape! We do apologize that you found some flaws with Wild Grape villa, especially since we provided you a free upgrade to our most popular house. Wild Grape had been booked consistently for several months before your stay, but no other guests reported any problems.

As for the refrigerator, there was a problem with the seal on the door that we thought had been remedied. We will be in Jamaica next week and if the door cannot be fixed, we will replace the entire fridge. With regard to the air-conditioning, our staff contacted the electrician as soon as a problem was reported, however, he was unable to come until just after this guest's stay. He reported that the air-conditioning was functioning, but added more freon to ensure optimal cooling in the future. As far as insects, like anywhere else in the tropics, there can be mosquitoes and other critters at SeaGrape. We keep our villas clean and all the bedrooms screened, but we cannot control the outside environment.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Big Grape at the end of January. We were there with 2 other couples and there was still room and atmosphere to be on your own. Whether down on the cliffs or on the patio having a great meal (thanks Juicy!) it really was a paradise....can't wait to go back!! Thanks to Juicy, Christine and Bentley for making our stay so much more than just a vacation! Thanks also to Margot for maintaining such a unique destination. Awesome!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Grape Villas? Share your experiences!