“Love, love, loved it!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Save Saved
You added Citronella to your Saves list
West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Staunton, Virginia
“Love, love, loved it!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was our first time visiting Negril. My husband decided to surprise me for our 5th year wedding anniversary. I am already planning my next trip to Citronella. The view is just breath-taking. The staff, we cannot say enough good things about. Trevor and Adrian were at our beck and call anytime. The housekeepers, Millie and Ann Marie ( i think was her name) and our special lady, Collette the cook always had beautiful smiles each and every day. Not to mention, Collette's cooking in itself is worth the trip.

The wonderful experience started with our personal driver, Patrick who took time to explain all about Jamaica and all the sights we discovered while on our way to our hideaway. He was so personable and easy to talk to.
The atmosphere of Citronella is just relaxing, quiet and is obvious that Jennifer takes pride in her property. We met lots of the locals who I hope are still there in our future visits. The boat ride with Vincent was one of our memorable moments. He stayed close to us while snorkeling and let us hold various sea creatures and took many photos. As I previously stated, I am already planning my next trip. What a great way to relax and what scenery! A week is just not enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thanks, Heather for taking time to write the great review. We are happy to hear that your anniversary trip was memorable and that your husband chose to spend it at Citronella! We look forward to having you back anytime!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My friend and I just returned from our 5 night stay at Citronella and feel blessed for having found this place. We are two girls who who travel frequently together and love to go on adventures. Our favorite trip was to Costa Rica and we wanted to try to recapture that spirit in Jamaica. I will have to admit that after being spoiled by staying in several 5 star all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Costa Rica, I was a bit worried about not having AC and a pool close by. Staying at Citronella, you are going back to basics and I found myself reliving the simplicity of my days of camping as a kid (this time with a king size bed and a private bathroom) After letting myself acclimate to the heat and buying some bug spray (you will need it) I truly loved this experience. There is nothing like the privacy you get here. You feel like you are staying at your own beach house. Going to sleep to the sounds of the waves crashing under our cave at the Cave house was incredible, and waking up to that incredible sunrise was even better. The breeze keeps you cool, and being able to jump into that Caribbean water at your leisure, walk up the steps and grab a drink or a snack from your fridge without having to share anything with hundreds of other tourists is a true gift. There are beautiful resorts nearby with amazing restaurants in a short walk so it was really nice to be able to visit but then return to the serenity of our little home. The main house with wifi was right next door, and it was so nice to see Collette's smiling face greet us and have a coffee while we sent messages home. I would absolutely return to this paradise and appreciate the owners for keeping the true integrity of Jamaica alive here. If you are looking for a true get away from it all, a place to reset your mind and have time to reflect and appreciate the simple things in life, this is your place.

Room Tip: The cottages are all unique and have something a little different to offer. We loved the deck, bridg...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thanks so much for the taking the time to write the glowing review! So glad your and your friend enjoyed your stay and hope to have you back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

This was our very first time on the island and our first time staying at Citronella, but it will certainly not be our last. We knew this was a special place as we sat on "the point" the first night to watch the sunset. Folks from all over Negril came in flocks on catamarans to see the sunset that we were so blessed to see from our cliff top paradise. From the snorkeling to the dining options (both on and off premises) to the friendly and accommodating staff, everything about our stay at Citronella was enchanting for lack of better words. Whether relaxing or going out and taking in the many nearby attractions is your bag, Citronella is for you! You will not be disappointed!

P.S. For a mind-blowing breakfast experience, try Colette's loaded BLT!

• Stayed June 2013
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review, hope to have you back again soon!
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my fourth visit to Citronella, a tradition in which my husband and I hope to continue any chance we get. After talking to many other visitors in Negril, we realize what a gem Citronella is. We stayed at Citronella for eight days and hardly had to leave the property. Within minutes of hitting the water for some snorkeling, we saw beautiful fish and even a sting ray! The small corals in the area make it unnecessary to leave the property in search for snorkeling. We took full advantage of this daily. Even though Seven-Mile Beach is a short cab ride away, we only traveled to the beach once. Everything we needed was right there on the cliffs. Many restaurants are within walking/affordable cab distance. You can always catch someone nearby selling some authentic jerk chicken as well. We also took advantage of the cafe on the property to order breakfast and catch up on emails, etc. with their Wifi. Collette even made dinner to order one night of fresh caught fish, beans, rice, and callaloo. Yummy! The staff there is very accomodating and the ladies kept our cottage very clean! Each evening we watched the sunset from the point and did not once envy the overcrowdedness of Rick's Cafe during those hours. Although, Rick's is a neat place to visit and have a dirty banana, right next door! The privacy and peacefulness of being on the property makes you feel as if it was your own. When walking on the beach past a few of the overcrowded resorts, we were reminded of why we love Citronella so much. This is what a vacation should be and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
With all the options that are available in Negril, we truly appreciate you choosing Citronella time and time again. We definitely look forward to having you back!
Union Hall, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my fourth time visiting Negril, and of course, there was no question as to where to stay. Citronella constantly lives up to my expectations and improves each time we arrive. The staff there is accomodating of any needs and wants. The view is spectacular no matter which house you stay in and the sunsets and snorkeling are one of a kind. There is no way to have this experience staying on the beach. Even though Citronella is about a five minute drive to the beach, we only visited the beach once on our seven day adventure. The first day we arrived, we saw many tropical fish and even a small sting ray while snorkeling. Each day we sat on the point and watched the sunset with a few Red Stripes to keep us company. Never once did we envy those people jam-packed on the beach with little privacy at those expensive resorts. Citronella now has wi-fi at the cafe (if you care to catch up with the real world), and Collette makes an amazing breakfast! She will also make a fresh and tasty dinner upon request. We will continue to come to Citronella as long as we live. If you are looking for a truly exciting, relaxing, and serene vacationing experience, there is no other choice than Citronella!

Room Tip: All rooms have a unique view. We love the larger Cove House, where my wife enjoys having the kitche...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have been home for almost a week now, and have not stopped talking about our next trip to Citronella. We could not have asked for a better experience. The property is absolutely beautiful, and the staff is more than friendly and accommodating. Trevor was full of recommendations, and helped us with anything that we needed. In addition the the fresh, homemade wonderful breakfast, we had Collette make us dinner as well, which was ssooooo good!! We could not be more appreciative of the outstanding time that we had, and can not wait to go back!!!

Jamie & Jeff

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Jamie & Jeff,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We take great pride in our property and our wonderful staff and we're so glad that they were so accommodating. We look forward to having you all back!
Evansville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Citronella was everything I had envisioned based on my internet research and more. We stayed in the Cave House, and within the first minutes of being on the property we agreed this would be a yearly ritual.

First, there's the beautiful property itself. Words and pictures do not do justice to the experience of standing on your PRIVATE front porch and realizing that your 180 degree view is the turquoise blue ocean. It IS your front yard at the Cave House. The gardens throughout the entire property are filled with gorgeous flowers, plants, birds, lizards, etc. Everything is simply beautiful.

Then there's the staff. Trevor provided top notch guest services from running out to refill our supply of Red Stripe for us when we didn't want to leave the property to getting us charcoal and starting our fire so we could grill the king mackerel we caught that day while fishing with Duke, a local fisherman (check out Winter Fresh Fishing) and his helper Alex, a local spear fisherman. He checked in daily, but was never a burden. Claudette cooked us amazing breakfast every morning at the Main House. She was very sweet and her cooking was delicious. Millie and Ann Marie (I believe that was her name) were so friendly and nice when they came to clean our house each day.

Outside of Citronella you will face dealing with the locals trying to sell you souveneirs, fruit, etc., which can be a pain. The best thing to do is kindly say no thank you and keep walking if you're not interested. I considered this a very minor inconvenience as part of the entire experience.

LTU Pub right next door had this awesome soup (I think it was pumpkin?). The food was good and fairly priced and the staff was friendly. We checked out Rick's Café and it was not a place I will ever visit again. Too Americanized, service was horrible, food was not good and way overpriced. Some might enjoy it, but it was not for me.

We did find an unexpected place to eat/drink that I will go back to faithfully called Murphy's. Leniel was simply the best. We were the only customers and we sat and chatted with him for hours like we had all known each other forever. He taught us how to braid hammocks, and I bought one from him as well. We had jerk chicken to go one night and I regret not trying it on the first night as I'm pretty sure we would've eaten every night. Another night he made us some custom fish and shrimp dinners which were simply amazing. I cannot say enough about our experience at Murphy's thanks to Leniel. We will be back soon!

Most days went like this: wake up around 7am (and trust me I am not a morning person), eat breakfast at the Main House around 8am. Relax on our porch for a few hours taking in the beautiful ocean view reading a book or lazing in the hammock. Maybe even slip in a few Red Stripes...Spend the afternoon cliff jumping/swimming/snorkeling. Hang out on the porch some more or explore the West End. Decide on plans for dinner then eat, drink, & be merry. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset and nod off to sleep listening to the ocean waves crashing into the cliffs. Wake up, start all over wishing it would never end.

I look forward to visiting Negril for years to come, and Citronella will always be our place. I have no desire to check out any other "resort". Hands down, the Citronella experience the way to enjoy an authentic Jamaican vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such great review. We strive to make each guest's stay a memorable, unique and carefree experience. Thanks again and we look forward to having you back!

Been to Citronella? Share your experiences!