“Citronella For-Lifer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 91 hotels in Negril
Evansville, Indiana, United States
“Citronella For-Lifer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Citronella was everything I had envisioned based on my internet research and more. We stayed in the Cave House, and within the first minutes of being on the property we agreed this would be a yearly ritual.

First, there's the beautiful property itself. Words and pictures do not do justice to the experience of standing on your PRIVATE front porch and realizing that your 180 degree view is the turquoise blue ocean. It IS your front yard at the Cave House. The gardens throughout the entire property are filled with gorgeous flowers, plants, birds, lizards, etc. Everything is simply beautiful.

Then there's the staff. Trevor provided top notch guest services from running out to refill our supply of Red Stripe for us when we didn't want to leave the property to getting us charcoal and starting our fire so we could grill the king mackerel we caught that day while fishing with Duke, a local fisherman (check out Winter Fresh Fishing) and his helper Alex, a local spear fisherman. He checked in daily, but was never a burden. Claudette cooked us amazing breakfast every morning at the Main House. She was very sweet and her cooking was delicious. Millie and Ann Marie (I believe that was her name) were so friendly and nice when they came to clean our house each day.

Outside of Citronella you will face dealing with the locals trying to sell you souveneirs, fruit, etc., which can be a pain. The best thing to do is kindly say no thank you and keep walking if you're not interested. I considered this a very minor inconvenience as part of the entire experience.

LTU Pub right next door had this awesome soup (I think it was pumpkin?). The food was good and fairly priced and the staff was friendly. We checked out Rick's Café and it was not a place I will ever visit again. Too Americanized, service was horrible, food was not good and way overpriced. Some might enjoy it, but it was not for me.

We did find an unexpected place to eat/drink that I will go back to faithfully called Murphy's. Leniel was simply the best. We were the only customers and we sat and chatted with him for hours like we had all known each other forever. He taught us how to braid hammocks, and I bought one from him as well. We had jerk chicken to go one night and I regret not trying it on the first night as I'm pretty sure we would've eaten every night. Another night he made us some custom fish and shrimp dinners which were simply amazing. I cannot say enough about our experience at Murphy's thanks to Leniel. We will be back soon!

Most days went like this: wake up around 7am (and trust me I am not a morning person), eat breakfast at the Main House around 8am. Relax on our porch for a few hours taking in the beautiful ocean view reading a book or lazing in the hammock. Maybe even slip in a few Red Stripes...Spend the afternoon cliff jumping/swimming/snorkeling. Hang out on the porch some more or explore the West End. Decide on plans for dinner then eat, drink, & be merry. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset and nod off to sleep listening to the ocean waves crashing into the cliffs. Wake up, start all over wishing it would never end.

I look forward to visiting Negril for years to come, and Citronella will always be our place. I have no desire to check out any other "resort". Hands down, the Citronella experience the way to enjoy an authentic Jamaican vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such great review. We strive to make each guest's stay a memorable, unique and carefree experience. Thanks again and we look forward to having you back!

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I wasn't quite sure what to expect even though I looked at the website and the pictures thoroughly . What I found though exceeded all my expectations. The spectacular views, the sound of the ocean on the cliffs, the sunsets and the moon rising all made this the most natural and relaxing few days I could imagine . The cliff house was large and accommodating with an expansive patio on the water and plenty of space inside. The bedroom on the ocean was so intoxicating you didn't want to go to sleep . The hosts made you feel so at home and the breakfasts and dinners were expertly prepared. A new restaurant is being constructed that will have the best views in Negril and I can't wait to go back to experience it. All in all a wonderful, peaceful time to recharge oneself.

Room Tip: Cliff house is the largest with multiple bedrooms for families or couples
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
James,
Thanks so much for the great review and we're happy to hear that our resort exceeded your expectations. We're actually in the process of redesigning our website and updating with current photography which will provide a more comprehensive portrayal of all we have to offer. Not to mention, our new full service restaurant, Citro, which we're very proud of, is nearly complete and will also offer breathtaking views of the ocean and cliffs. Again, we appreciate you choosing us and hope to have you back soon!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It is hard to explain how AWESOME the experience was staying at Citronella, but I will try my best. It was my first time leaving the states so I had no idea of what I was in for. Just getting off the plane and taking a cab to Negril was a life experience. I met the coolest cab driver Nai, who takes patrons back and forth from Montego Bay to Negril. The scenery was amazing on the ride, so much to take in and I had not even arrived at my spot. After arriving at Citronella, I was blown away by the beauty and majestic feel. Just hanging out is the thing to do. It took me the first night to get adjusted. You are not worried about anything going on anywhere else, life seems so easy and free and I could really get addicted to it. I really know what vacation means now. This is a place where you can really leave your troubles behind and get away from it all. The cottages are very quaint and unique with each one having something different to offer. There are private walkways from each cottage to the ocean. They are cool in themselves, the walkways are carved into the cliffs in a natural setting so you still have the feel of the limestone. I stayed in the Cove House which has the most breathtaking views of the ocean cliffs. I never knew how clear water could be until waking up and seeing the ocean on the porch at the Cave House. From standing on top of the cliffs you can see the bottom of the ocean. BUT THE BEST PART IS SNORKELING RIGHT OUTSIDE OF YOUR COTTAGE! REEFS ARE AT YOUR DOOR STEP! I was content with just hanging out and swimming/snorkeling at Citronella the whole time. However, the location is great as well. You can see The World Famous Ricks Café from the point and LTU's Bar is right next door. Seven Mile beach is just a short cab right away and many places to eat are in close proximity. If you want to experience the culture, nature, lifestyle and beauty, which I think is the purest form of Jamaica. Then you have to experience the greatest place in Jamaica, Citronella. Thanks you so much, John, Cathy, Adrian and Whit for one of the greatest times of my life. - Ian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ian,
Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. We hope to have you back again soon.
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I just returned from a 8 night stay at the Cove House, three days of which I was by myself and the next five days with a good friend and it was a perfect vacation. After a day or two my mind slowed down and I was able to relax. I thought I would not like being alone since I usually travel with my family and/or friends but it was a wonderful experience. I have stayed at many other places in Negril: Tensing Pen, Catcha, Rockhouse, Sea Grape Villas, Banana Shout and Idle Awhile. I don't even consider all inclusives. To me all inclusives are cement cities. The Grand Palladium looks like San Quentin. At night when you sleep at Citronella you hear the sound of the ocean, not the hum of air conditioners or the sound of tvs. No, no tv, no phone, no pool, no ac. Yes, magnificent views, bird sounds, ocean breezes, friendly smiles, great food, tropical gardens, clean comfortable beds, swimming and snorkeling just a few steps away, restaurants and bars within an easy walk, the beach a short cab ride: no contest. There is good wifi on the deck of the Cove House or in the Great House public area. A new restaurant is being built and will likely be open by winter that has killer views on the edge of the cliff facing the Caves. Meanwhile you can order dinner from Collette, the chef, or walk across the road to Kevin's Seasoned to the Bone Jerk stand, but go before sunset because he sells out and that is it. Ivans and LTU are within a short walk. Wise Choice Market is down the street and has just about every thing you will need from drinks to produce to sunscreen. Thank you to Trevor, Jennifer, Angela, Millie and Colette. Thank you John, Cathy and Adrian for not selling out Citronella and keeping it simple, beautiful and blissfully elegant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy that given all the available accommodations in Negril that you chose us. We pride ourselves in NOT being your standard resort. Truly a place to come, relax and experience what Jamaica is really all about. Thanks again, and we hope to have you back!
Rock Hill, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family of 5 just got back from our stay at Citronella. Let me say that pictures cannot do this place justice. The location is excellent, and the way that the resort is laid out gave us much desired privacy. While this is not a "fancy" resort, it is one of the most relaxing and comfortable places we have ever stayed. The staff is very helpful and friendly without being overbearing. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed at the Conch house for one night and the Cave house for 4 nights. We definitely preferred the snorkeling and the location of the Cave house, but you can't go wrong with either one. Our kids had a great time, and told us this was the best vacation ever. I wish I could give this place more than 5 stars....can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the glowing review! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at Citronella with a group of friends and had a very relaxing time. Citronella is perfect if you want to get away and not have to deal with a "tourist"-type vacation ambient. It's a good place to disappear to and escape the ongoings of the outside world. I stayed in the Cove House and the view is so beautiful overlooking the cliffs. The blue water is gorgeous and quite a sight to wake up to every day. You can always hear the water and waves lapping. It is so serene. This is a good place for those that like to cliff jump, snorkle, and spearfish. A pool would have made me enjoy the experience more, but there isn't one on-site. There is Wi-Fi in the Main House (and a cool blow hole).

The Staff: In the Main House, is Derek, who is sweet and always very helpful in the mornings and later whenever I asked for anything. Collete makes the Best. Fried. Chicken. I've never had better friend chicken. (You must try it)! She also made this amazing plantain appetizer with tomatoes. Heaven. Adrian is friendly and welcoming to the property. Trevor went out of his way to assist us and answer any questions we had. Milly is pure joy. She always had a smile on her face and made sure we had everything we needed in our cottage. I want to return to Citronella and next time I'd like to stay at the A-frame. It was my favorite cottage on-site. Oh, Jamaica. How I miss you.

Room Tip: The big bedroom in the back of the Cove House is massive. The front bedroom has a beautiful view. Us...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write the great view. So glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

About us: We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 8 year old and 4 year old) and found Citronella very picturesque, relaxing and private. We spent 7 nights at Citronella (6 nights in the Round House and 1 night in half of the Conch house).

Cottages: The 5 cottages, which are unique from each other in terms of size, layout, and accommodations (e.g., size of beds, layout, full kitchen or just mini-fridge). All have private access to swimming.

Location: We loved that it was removed from the 7 mile beach area and amongst the Cliffs (what I would say is more of the "real" Jamaica). It's still close enough to many resorts so that you can walk or get a quick cab for dinners.

We really did love our experience, but this place might not be for folks who want every convenience typical of say, a U.S. hotel or some of the "sanitized" hotels that are newer and would probably rob you of a more authentic Jamaican experience. We had room temperature showers and the power went out a few times (never for more than an hour or so). There are no TV's in the cottages or wi-fi (but there's wi-fi in the super charming Great House). The sheets and mattresses could use some updating. These "negatives" if you want to call them that did not bother us all that much, as Citronella is so unique in the layout, the service (really great staff and owners, as mentioned in other posts), and I feel like it is priced very appropriately. The very exclusive property, "The Caves" is next door. I have a hard time believing that spending 4 times as much really affords you that much more luxury. The best thing about Citronella (and, I suppose) the Caves, is the location!

I think the only way I would give one more star would be if they had a pool (not sure that is feasible or realistic), had hot or warm water for showers, was further away from the road, and had maybe more comfortable mattresses and linens. I'm being VERY picky here, but just trying to be honest. It really is about expectations, right?

Tip for folks with little kids: The swimming and snorkeling at Citronella can be choppy (always beautiful to look at and listen to, of course), but we could only swim maybe half of the days we were there. That might be typical or atypical - not sure. So, on one of our days, we went to Rick's at noon and had lunch and drinks while the kids swam in their pool (which is totally fine - pool is open for guests). Although things get crazy in the later afternoon and evening (tour busses drop people off), the kids had the pool almost entirely to themselves for a few hours.

Room Tip: 5 cottages really vary in accommodations - depends on the size or your group. You can't go wron...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lynn,
Just wanted to thank you for your review. We appreciate your great review and the recommendations. While we admit, we may not be the right resort for everyone, especially those seeking the creature comforts of a standard U.S. or big box hotel, it's reviews like yours which help other guests make the right decision on the best accommodations which suit their particular style. Thanks again for taking the time to write the great review!

Been to Citronella? Share your experiences!