“Beyond our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 43 Specialty lodging in Negril
Wadsworth, OH USA
“Beyond our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

After booking our stay at Villas Sur Mer, my husband and I frequently checked out the reviews from the other guests before we arrived. They were all glowing, so our expectations were very high to begin with. We just recently returned from our 8 day stay there and I can truly say it exceeded our expectations in every way. The grounds are lovely and beautifully maintained by Shakey. Our villa (#5) was tastefully decorated, had comfortable beds and a well equipped kitchenette. The staff keeps everything spotless!
The pool & lagoon area was a great place to relax or to enjoy a swim and the hot tub. The cave leads to the cliffs and a spectacular place to sunbathe and read by the gorgeous clear water.
Take advantage of the free snorkeling gear provided and also schedule a couple's massage by the cliffs as well, I can't imagine a more beautiful setting for a romantic getaway.
All of that said, what makes it infinitely better is the wonderful staff at Villas Sur Mer. Everyone makes it their mission to assure you have a terrific stay. You are greeted with hugs when you arrive and from then on, you are in their capable hands. Kimi is the manager and is so warm and friendly, as are everyone else on staff. She will suggest and set up any activities you are interested in and anything else you ask of her is "no problem". Richard cheerfully took us wherever we wanted to go and Cliffy made great drinks at the bar and laughed with us after our day's adventures. Paulette, Seann and especially JonnaLee took excellent care of us & our villa
and we enjoyed talking to them each day. We also met and got hugs from Donna who takes care of the cliffside villa across the street. Richard took us over to tour the villa before a wedding party arrived. It really is spectacular and would be wonderful for a family or group of friends to share. Bull, the chef who cooks for the villa guests, can be hired to be your cook for a day. We had him cook lunch and dinner for us and the meals were outstanding. James and Marlon take care of security and were also ready to help with anything you needed.
There are many things to see and do in Negril or you can just relax and enjoy the beautiful Villas Sur Mer and the fabulous staff. We are so grateful for their excellent care and hope to be back some day to see them all again!

Room Tip: #5 was a spacious, pretty and comfortable 2 bedroom villa. 6 Down was very nice and the 6 bedroom vi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I spent 8 wonderful nights at VSM and enjoyed every second! There are not enough positive things to say about the location and the staff (as you can clearly see from the other reviews).

We stayed in Cottage 8 overlooking the lagoon. The waterfall flows underneath the balcony which makes for a delightful place to read and relax (not to mention the hammock swings!). It is set back from the road, so it is quiet and peaceful. We spent the majority of our time walking through the cave and sunning on the cave deck. The snorkeling and swimming there is absolutely stunning. We also had a couples massage at sunset in the cave, and we definitely recommend! Just ask Kimi and she will set it up.

All of the other cottages look equally lovely and well decorated. The cliffside villa is to die for, so if you can get a group together, we would definitely recommend given the fabulous water views.

The staff at VSM make it such a warm and welcome place! You are greeted with hugs and are well taken care of for your entire stay. Kimi and Richard can help recommend activities and set them up for you. Radcliffe is the best bartender ever! He makes an amazing pina colada and can recommend a lot of nightlife suggestions. The rest of the staff were equally warm and gracious and the security staff alleviate any safety concerns (though we walked everywhere, both day and night, and did not have any issues).

If you are looking for a place to stay in Negril- we definitely recommend VSM. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I found the Villa Sur Mer online and had no idea what to expect. It looked just like the pictures! I have never stayed in a place that was so clean, comfortable and the perfect for romance. We were welcomed my Kimi with a big smile who gave us the run down of their services. The restaurant (LTU) across the street would deliver room service, which as honeymooners, breakfast in bed is a must; however it turns out that the view from their dining patio is so spectacular, breakfast in bed was overrated (as much as we loved our room).

Then there's the cave that leads down to the water at the bottom of the cliffs! It's the perfect place to watch the sunset and don't forget to have a couple's massage. Just ask Kimi, she'll set it up with Lance who is amazing! Kimi, Richard, Radcliff, Jonalee and all of the staff were amazing! Anything you want, they will get! We were there for Hurricane Sandy and we couldn't go anywhere, so they opened up another villa and we had a hurricane party. They made dinner and we all brought something to share. It was one of our most enjoyable evenings, getting to know the other guests as well as the staff. Villa Sur Mer is the perfect place for relaxing and romance. The staff is friendly, accommodating and generous with their time. We are hoping to take a few friends back and stay in the villa on the cliff side!

Room Tip: 6 down was towards the back of the property and the perfect honeymoon suite. Very romantic and quiet...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I can't say enought great things about VSM! The staff and property are amazing and Kimi and the rest of the villa staff are willing to do anything they can to make your stay memorable. I miss everyone and wish I could be there now relaxing in the sun. I found VSM through Groupon and decided to throw caution to the wind and brave Jamaica during the rainy season. I lucked out and had perfect weather in early October during my 8 night stay. I think it rained once during the night while I was there and the storm lasted just long enough into the following morning to allow me to sleep late before the sun came out. I know that Jamaica has experienced a hurricane since then (about a week after I left) but it was sunny and warm during my vacation. I'd have no problem going in the off season again.

The staff...
Kimi - the general manager - provided me with the assurances I needed before my vacation regarding my decision to take the Int'l Airlink flight between Montego Bay and Negril ( I highly recommend this - it only costs about $275 round trip for the 12 minute flight on the small commuter plane, was a huge time saver and the pilot let me fly the plane on the way back to Montego Bay). She also gave me advice on things to do during my vacation, recommended restaurants and places to visit and patiently listened while I told her about all my adventures and experiences. I think she was really suprised when I showed up alone but did everyting possible to make me feel included in the VSM family. Kimi ensures the rest of the staff keeps you busy and happy and became a friend during my stay. Her office is air-conditioned - go visit her often while you're there. You'll usually find everyone else there as well.
Richard- general man about the resort and rumored to be quite a ladies man! He will run you around town anywhere you need to go and make sure you stop to take a walk in the surf at the beach. He will also escort you out for late night entertainment at the beach or clubs.
Radcliffe- so sweet - is the lagoon bartender and makes a terrific banana daiquiri and dirty banana. Cliff will also escort you out at night to experience the Negril nightlife and tell you stories about life in Jamaica.
Shank-I is my favorite Rastafarian gardener! You will find him keeping the pathways through the resort spotless. He fights an endless battle with the plantlife but always has a ready smile...
Donna, Carol and Jonilee- the housekeepers- always so friendly and helpful. I was given help with everything from choosing Jamaican fruits and vegetables - try the avocados (called pears) - to hanging a mosquito net over my bed (it is the tropics) to washing and drying my beach towel in the late afternoon so I'd have it for the next day. I really enjoyed talking to all of these women in their free time.
Security and Contractors- always willing to take a few minutes to talk and kudos to the fantastic security who would escort me down the road each evening to whichever restaurant I had chosen for dinner and then walk back to pick me up at the restaurant gate and take me safely back to VSM. I never felt I was in any danger with these gentlemen taking care of my welfare. They really went above and beyond.

As to the VSM property... The resort is located on the West End cliffs of Negril and has ocean access thorough either the cave or at the villa. I was perfectly happy with this arrangement as I love the ocean but hate sand. The cottages and villas are gorgeous and well maintained. I stayed in one of the small cottages (1B) but still has a very large living area, fully stocked kitchen with refrigerator, gas stovetop and microwave, spacious and comfortable bedroom and nice sized bath. The bedroom is air conditioned and if you close the shutters on the windows can be turned into an icy escape from the heat and humidity of Jamaica.

I also took the opportunity to wander through cottage 5, 6 down (ask to stay here it's gorgeous) and the big villa. Everything is beautiful and Kimi has gone out of her way to choose perfect accents for the otherwise white decor. The villa is perfect for a large group of friends to share and comes with Donna and a private chef. I'd love to return and stay in the villa.

All in all, I heartily recommend VSM and hope to return to see my new friends again. Hugs to you all! Jennifer

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great back the higher number cottages are closer to the lagoon pool and ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Roseville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived at Villas Sur Mer, and were welcomed by the staff with hugs and big smiles. We have never encountered such a great staff anwhere else in the world. We stayed in cottage 1B, which was perfect for us, it can get a little noisy since it is closer to the street, but we didn't mind the noise. Everyone here is wonderful, If you need anything look out for Richard. He would take us anywhere we wanted to go, he would drive us to dinner and even pick us up aftewards...what great service!! Kimmi the manager even arranged for a party on the day of the hurricane, since we couldn't go anywhere. She arranged for a bartender, food and music. This place is really a gem, everyone made us feel like family. We hope to be visit again soon!

jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived at Villas Sur Mer and we were welcomed by Kimi and ALL the staff. So many hugs and so much love...we felt as if we just arrived to a family reunion!
Since we were there for our honeymoon we opted for the 6 down villa which was absolutely perfect. The staff goes above and beyond with their kindness and helpfulness...Kimi even got us a day at the Sea Wind Resort so we can have a beautiful beach experience. And the chef cooked us tasty coconut sweets that we can take home for our friends and family.
Although the property is beautiful and the rooms are stunning, the real treat is the fabulous staff...and Kimi is the crown jewel of it all! Thank you guys for everything.

Room Tip: 6 down is wonderful for a romantic getaway!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed a week at the Villas and it was amazing! The cottages were so cute and clean and quiet. We woke up every day to the birds singing and time passes by so slowly that it is truly an unwinding and relaxing experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful and they even prepared a romantic dinner in the cave for us on our last night. Our favorite spot on the property was the oceanside private cave. We spent alot of our week down there snorkeling and jumping from the ledge. Every morning we ate a delicious breakfast across the street at the LTU restaurant. They open at 8am and it is a beautiful view of the morning sun on the ocean. The famous Ricks cafe is just next door where we would go every night to watch the sunset, listen to the reggae band, and watch all the brave people jump from 30 ft into the ocean! Just make sure you buy or bring bug spray for at night...the little supermarket down the road saved us from a lot of mosquito bites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Sur Mer? Share your experiences!