“A Budget Resort on the Cliffs; some sought after ammenities” 3 of 5 stars

Negril Escape Resort & Spa
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   The Cliffs, West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #14 of 37 Negril B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“A Budget Resort on the Cliffs; some sought after ammenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Negril Escape is a budget resort which is reflected in the the rates and the quality of the rooms. However, If you don't need a polished hotel but want cheap place to stay with an amazing ocean view, NE may be for you. Be forewarned - although the resorts offers many sought after amenities, don't expected them to always work. When we stayed there, the pool was green for a couple days and unusable. Sometimes the air conditioning in the room would go off when the power was diverted to other uses (like karaoke night). Some of the appliances in the kitchenette (e.g. stove) didn't work. In the first room we were assigned to the shower head was clogged and sprayed everywhere. The roof leaked during a heavy rain. There were some other minor maintenance issues like rusted fixtures around the room.

We also had an issue where the room we specifically reserved was unavailable (that particular building was gutted and under construction) and we were given a room that was unsatisfactory to us. Management resolved the issue the next day by upgrading us to one of their better rooms.

Overall the property is nice, with a decent restaurant/bar and excellent cliff access. I understand that they put on a fabulous wedding, and they may be where the bulk of their business comes from. However, as a guest in one of the cottages, you will notice where maintenance and upgrades would be needed.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. There is a shuttle to the beach everyday, and on certain nights, the shuttle goes to the Jungle nightclub (and the driver will stay there with you).

Overall, if you are on a budget and you want a prime cliffside location but don't mind a resort that is a little worn, Negril Escape may be a good place for you.

Room Tip: Look closely at the room descriptions. About half of the rooms have excellent ocean views, while oth...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for your honest opinion. During your stay, we had some trouble with the pump for the pool. We apologize that the water wasn't clean enough for swimming while you were staying with us. We've fixed this problem. We are also sorry about the problem with your air-conditioning- this no longer happens. We're working hard to improve the overall maintenance of the hotel and appreciate that out of all the hotels in negril, you chose to stay with us. Please contact us and we will do our best to make it up to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Negril, Jamaica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

If you don't care about comfort, all inclusive resort and beach front maybe you will like it. The beach is in the cliffs so you cannot walk on the sand because doesn't have sand. Only rocks. If you are a really good swimmer you can jump in the water in a right spot the hotel has a ladder, oderwise you will have the pool with ocean view or the hotel bus that take you to the beach every day at 11 am and pick you up at 3 pm. It's a bed and breakfast hotel. The people that work there are so nice! The best thing about the hotel are the people that work there! They are really interested by helping you. The breakfast is simple but so good! tasty! Jamaican National dish (fried plantain, fried dumplings, ackee and saltfish), coffee, milk, fruits, bread and butter.

The room is not very clean at all. When I check in I went to see my bathroom and it was dirty! The toilet was used and had toilet paper in the garbage. The furniture is very old and in our bed had termite because had a wood powder next to a hole in bed. The window from the room and the bathroom were broken. We stayed in the best room in the resort. The ocean view. So I just would come back if I would younger, wilder and kinda in a hippie mood. I rather comfort in a Caribbean Island than all that!

• Stayed December 2013
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your honest opinion. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience.

We are so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We agree that it is unacceptable that your bathroom was not clean, and we will work with our housekeeping team on this issue. We also apologize that there were problems with the furniture and the overall maintenance of your room. We are fixing these problems as I type this.
Would you give us a second chance? Please contact us and we will do our best to make it up to you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

What a beautiful hotel. We came for a wedding and it was such a wonderful experience. Very relaxing and picturesque. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. I left knowing that I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Negril.

However, as this was our third time to Jamaica, we decided to take a day trip back to an area just 30 miles South of Negril, called Little Bay, that we had visited on our last trip here. Wanting to explore more of "undiscovered" Jamaica, we went back and visited our friend Wayne. We met Wayne on our last trip when we stayed at the Little Bay Cabins, when we walked down the road to the bar and grill he built on the beach in front of his home and served us the most spectacular candle light dinner on the beach during sunset.

The day we spent in Little Bay was actually the highlight of our trip... well, that plus our friend's wedding! Wayne provided us with kayaks, and took us to the bluehole, Bob Marley's house, the bat caves. It was so much fun and a true haven! The local people were so friendly, kind, and funny!!! We had an incredible time... and of course, it culminated again with Wayne cooking for us and serving us the best Jamaican food I have ever eaten- right on the beach, with candles, during the sunset. Truly spectacular. Wayne'z World is what he calls it.... because the minute you arrive, you enter his amazing world. Take a day and explore. Not sure if his website is up yet.

As for Negril, if you go, Alfred's is great for music and just explore! I highly recommend you use this hotel as your home base. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I booked this resort through Expedia. When my husband and I arrived in the evening the hotel had not Idea we were coming. The hotel was renovating and put us in a room for one evening.
Basic room we booked a kitchenette. David the manager was very accommodating. He upgraded us to a room in their sister property The Boardwalk, located at the beach. It was very nice but we wanted to be at the cliffs. David had a room prepared for us, brought in extra staff and arranged for special meals. None of this unfortunate happenings were fault of the hotel. We were informed on the 4th day there that after investigating with expedia, our reservation was never sent out. Thank you David and Janet for all you did.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brownsville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I must have had a glitch when I tried to post this the first time. Sorry Demien and Kevin. I know you guys depend on these reviews. I'd like to say that the trip three of my sons and I took took to Jamaica for new year's 2012 was fantastic, anad made much better by the accommodations and service found at the escape. Breakfast on the patio overlooking the Carribean, with a cup of blue mountain coffee....yeah Mon. Great location, kind of quiet. We stayed 12 days and they were just as cool from the first day to the last.

Ben Chillout

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My daughter got married here at the end of June (Qino2 "Fantastic Place for a Wedding!") and I can only echo her glowing review. The wedding planners Donald and Natasha more than delivered on their promises of a wonderful wedding. Though they could not control the less than perfect weather that day, they and their staff set up our Plan B for the reception under cover in the upstairs area beautifully. I was stunned at the transformation that took place in that room. It was amazing. The food was top notch and enjoyed by everyone. Thank you for making my daughter's dream of a tropical wedding come true. I would not hesitate to recommend Negril Escape to other brides.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently got married here and brought about 100 guests down from all over the United States. I worked with Donald and Natasha by email and skype for over a year to plan this and they were absolutely wonderful to work with. Very easy and stress free wedding planning experience, they took care of everything! Don and Natasha are extremely professional and they accommodated all of our requests. I also worked with Floral Fantasies for the flowers which were perfect and Debra Barrett for my hair and makeup. Debra has a salon right on the property which was very convenient and she did a great job. The day of the wedding proved overcast, a bit windy, and drizzly at times, but we were still able to have our ceremony and cocktail hour outdoors on their beautiful cliffs and had the reception in their covered third floor ballroom that had amazing views of the ocean with a cool breeze blowing through. The staff worked extremely hard to set everything up perfectly and everything looked great. We had a band and a DJ and both of them were awesome, kept us dancing all night. Everyone raved about the food, and the service was great too. I had the most amazing time, I did not want the night to end. Many of our guests told us it was the most fun wedding they'd ever been to. If you are thinking of getting married in Negril please consider this as your venue. Why have a generic wedding on the beach at a big all inclusive that has 3 to 4 weddings in a weekend and you are nothing special? Negril Escape is owned by a local family and has a unique and beautiful location, plus it's a very private setting. The personalized service I received was fantastic. I recommend this place to anyone getting married or having any kind of party in Negril. I'd be happy to answer any questions, send me a message.
Thanks Negril Escape for a wonderful wedding we will never forget!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Negril Escape Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!