“A superb cliff location, and an enjoyable, peaceful place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Negril Escape Resort & Spa

You added Negril Escape Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Negril Escape Resort & Spa
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   The Cliffs, West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #14 of 37 Negril B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A superb cliff location, and an enjoyable, peaceful place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned from an enjoyable two-week stay at this hotel for the second year in a row. We totally agree with the four current February reviews from other guests as we have found that there are many advantages to staying at this resort:-
* location and the view are spectacular (amazing sunsets)
* very friendly and helpful managers and staff
* peaceful environment
* good breakfast included - offering nice fruit and a variety of tasty dishes each day.

The owners/managers are in the process of renovating and refurbishing each building and room. While we were there, the pool area was retiled and refreshing outdoor showers now adjoin the pool. We were told that to make sure guests will continue to have the use of the pool in the high season, the inside of the pool will be retiled in April.

So all in all, definitely good value offered by this hotel and we hope to return next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Negril Escape in two years and I'll be going back again next year...

First off - if you are going to visit a smaller hotel located on the cliffs of Negril in Westmoreland, Jamaica, and if you're only spending US$100 or so per night, don't expect to be staying at a mega resort where you have staff tending to your every desire. Reading some of the other reviews on this hotel would make you think that some people probably just shouldn't visit Jamaica.

That being said...the grounds are very pretty. It's upon the cliffs and the ocean views are spectactular. There is a great little cove below the cliffs for swimming, and there's a small pool if you don't like jumping into a 30-40 foot deep ocean.

One of the best features of this hotel is that it includes a very good buffet style breakfast which varies from day-to-day. Also, the fantastic Jamaican coffee is included as well.

The staff is EXTREMELY was friendly and courteous and attentive to the needs of me and my friend I was traveling with. Kevin (groundskeeper) and his brother Jermaine (security) are just a couple of the fantastic people you get to meet when you're staying here.

Another great feature of this property is that the family which owns and operates this property also owns and operates a popular nightclub/music venue called The Jungle. So, if you're lucky enough to be staying at the Negril Escape the same night that there's a concert going on at The Jungle, there's a good likelihood that your admission to the concert is included. There's even a bus which will take you to and from the club.

The rooms are nice. They are NOT deluxe suites at some 4-5 star luxury resort. They are clean and well maintained. The bathrooms all have functional showers with hot water. Quite frankly, when I'm in Negril the last place I care about is my room (because it's too much fun being outside there!).

The Negril Escape is a great place to use as a home base because it's high enough on the cliffs to be quite at night, but is also surrounded by some local businesses and restaurants that give me (and any traveler) enough options to be happy. For example, if you're hungry you can go across the street and visit Ali for a home-made Jamaican pattie, or further down the road you can go to the Jam-Cam Bridge restaurant to listen to live reggae on Monday and Thursday nights. You can go further down the road to visit the famous Rick's bar - or be a little less touristy and go next door to Rick's and have a great meal at a place on called LTU. All these places are within a 10-15 minute walk from the Negril Escape.

I went to Negril Escape in February 2011, and went back in February 2012. I will most likely be back there again in February 2013.

It's a really great place.

Room Tip: The more you pay the closer you get to the ocean. I pay for the back rooms and wake up and walk the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

My wife and I have been vacationing in Negril for 30 years and have stayed at various places, always on the cliffs. This was our first time staying at Negril Escape. We arrived on Jan 28th and we were met at our room by Sygen, the young lady that would be servicing our room for the 2 weeks. She asked if I needed anything and I told her I needed a table and a couple more chairs for the balcony because I like to sit and read the paper with a coffee in the morning. She had that in about 5 minutes. I also told her we needed a coffee maker and she had that in 5 minutes. The room does need a little refurbishing, but it was very comfortable and Sygen was great for us. She noticed when we had left for the day and always had our room done before we got back. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Negril has always been up and down with water pressure for the shower, but not at Escape.The staff were great people and it was a pleasure to have met them. Escape is also owners of the Jungle nite Club and you get free admission to any shows there, which was a great bonus. Breakfast was included with our stay and we were not disappointed. Traditional Calaloo, Akee, steamed vegtables, boiled banana etc.. were excellent. I recommend the scrambled or fried egg and calaloo sandwich...I think I invented that. The Hotel is very nice but the staff makes the place !!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We loved our stay here. After reading some of the reviews about this resort, it makes me wonder if the some of the visitors forget they are visiting a third world country! I'm also fairly confident you are not spending the same nightly rate as a 4 or 5 star resort, so why would you expect the conditions as such? We travelled to Jamacia and this resort because we love the low key atmosphere. The staff is incredible; providing you are not rude to them. Jamacians have their own way of doing things and it may not be your way, if you want it your way... stay home and go to Burger King! As for us... we'll be back doing it... Jamacian way! Yeah Mon!

Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Our room was perfect, quiet and romantic with a spectacular view of the ocean sunsets. We saw our first "green flash". The staff was excellent, happy and helpful. The restaurant and food could step it up a bit, and the pool needs some attention. We love the location in the West End. Its probably not for those who have younger children. I don't understand why the hotel management isnt planning more concerts? The stage is in an awesome location for some live reggae as seen on YouTube. Why just Weddings?... music Mon!

Room Tip: Stay in the front buildings, all have great views.
Winnipeg, Manitoba CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Based on the good reviews that this hotel had, and the fact that a family wedding was being held here; we booked a 5 day stay here. We've just returned, and I couldn't wait to get online and share our experience; hoping that we can save someone from making a similar mistake. I'm not sure what drove the good reviews, its really bizarre when compared to our experience.
- The clerk at the front desk is not very friendly, she behaves like you are bothering her. She didn't really share any details about the hotel at all, such as restaurant hours, onsite services etc.
- The grounds are not very well kept at all; pathways are in poor condition, plants are struggling to survive
- Our ocean front room was in the Morracan building. The buildings all appear to be in poor condition, cracked plaster and exposed roofs are everywhere
- Our room came with no coffee maker, safe lock, ice container or phone. There is a full size refrigerator, but no ice trays.
- Several burnt out light bulbs made the room even darker and drearier...or maybe this was a good thing
- For all requests/questions, you have to walk back to the front office.
- When i requested a coffee maker, i was told that only suites get those. When i persisted, Damian kindly arranged to have one delivered to our room as well as a container for ice, no coffee was provided, we bought our own.
- Damian also gave me directions to the ice machine, which is behind the front office building. My description won't do it justice, you have to look at the photos.
- You have to pay an extra $3 daily to get a key to the safe in your room
- The decor in our "Morracan" room was quite simply a sad example of homemade crafts very poorly done. I'm not sure why they bother with this instead of simple clean decor. There are beads glued over door frames and on lamps, terrible sponge painting all over the walls, scrunched fabric hot glued (and falling off in sections) around the mirror etc.
- The room had two outlets in total, neither with outlet covers.
- The bed and pillows are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. It was difficult to sleep and we both had back and neck aches our entire stay
- We had hot water only 2 of the 5 days we were there. The remaining times, we were lucky to get lukewarm. There is a serious issue with water pressure.
- There are no luggage racks, our suitcases had to sit on the floor. As the room is very small, this took up a considerable portion of available floor space, and was an issue due to the next bullet
- on day 2, there was rain, and the roof over the corner of our room was leaking. Water was raining down on our suitcases. We reported the issue to the maid, who had just arrived to deliver our missing towels. She said she would tell someone. I'm not sure who she told as we never heard back from anyone, and no one showed up to repair anything that we saw.
- I don't think they have an adequate supply of linen for the hotel. I don't think our sheets were ever changed during our stay (hopefully they were before we got there). I noticed that when the maid took used towels from our room, they weren't immediately replaced with new ones, we seemed to have to wait for a laundry cycle.
- After the first night, my husband woke up with horrible bug bites all over him. These weren't mosquito bites (actually never had any mosquitos), but were red welts with a huge bump under the skin. When we reported it to the front desk, we were handed a can of Raid and told to fumigate our room before we went out for dinner, then to return the can so other guests could use it. We did this, but unfortunately, he continued to wake up with more and more bites every day. Who knows what kind of bug this was, it could have been anything, the windows are simply slats; the ones in the room wouldn't open, the one in the bathroom was fine. There is a full inch gap under the door of the room (pic available), so insects have full access to you day and night. there are ants, spiders and beetles in corners and crawling up the wall all the time.
- We were able to swim off the cliffs on the first day, which was great, but the winds picked up after that making it unsafe for the remainder of our stay. We checked out the pool instead, but there was no way we, or other guests we talked to were going to get in. It is so murky and unclean; absolutely unappealing.
- As our backs were so sore from the bed, we decided to book a massage near the end of our stay. We walked to the front office, asked the surly front desk girl, who picked up her cell phone, dialed a number and handed her phone to me to make the booking myself. Diane, the masseuse showed up on time, was very nice and gave us each a fantastic massage using a portable table set up on our balcony. As we were paying by credit card, my husband had to walk back to the front office with her and wait while they figured out how to put through a credit card payment for the spa service; this took about 30 minutes.
- The staff in the restaurant are very nice, we only ate there for a couple of breakfasts and lunches. The food is decent, but the menu is very limited. On our first day there for lunch, we tried to order 3 times, and each time the waitress had to go check if they had what we wanted (ie. 3 separate trips to the kitchen on the second floor) after the third round we just asked her what they had and ordered that. Keep in mind, we were trying order from their menu. We noticed that after that, the posted a chalk board listing what they had available. This seemed to be limited to a couple of sandwiches and fried chicken. Due to this, we avoided the restaurant for dinners, and took a cab to the beach hotels instead.

The views from the hotel can't be beat, the sunsets were amazing! We attended a family wedding being held there, and other than some music glitches, it was a wonderful event, great food and fantastic service.

However, overall, we were very sorry we decided to book here. The 7 days previous we had stayed at the CoCo La Palm on the beach were fantastic, and we were truly sorry we left there. It is laughable that they call this property a Resort and Spa.

If the bustle of the beach hotels is not your thing (vendors, music, kids etc), a cliff hotel is a great choice for true relaxation; just not THIS cliff hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
wallo99, General Manager at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Wow! This is a very intense report of your vacation with us . I thank you for your descriptions and will use this detailed outline to make corrections.
We have been working assiduously to make our visitors stay a most pleasant one.
I wished that you were in the frame of mind to notice and appreciate the many remarkable things that are on the property. Many have vacationed with us and had the most wonderful time. Had you expressed your dissapointment with a manager or myself( we live on property) we could have done something to ensure a more pleasant time or assisted you in finding more suitable accommodations.
I hope you will re consider and check us out again ...after all with your skill and eye for detail Ii would love a re valuation from you. Please drop me a line if you are interested david@negrilescape.com
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

While I did not stay on property so I can't speak of the rooms, etc. I had to write about my AMAZING experience at this property for my wedding reception. I was married on 11-11-11 at the Riu Palace in Negril. I was debating between a private beach dinner at the hotel or a reception on the cliffs- All I can say is I made the BEST DECISION EVER by choosing to do our reception here. Everything about my reception here was A++. I worked with Donald and Natasha and they were both very helpful... The presentation was phenomenal.. Paper lanterns, candles, flowers (floral fantasies), bow wrapped chairs etc... All of our guests couldn't believe their eyes when the place was all lit up at night!! We did lots of extras, steel drum band during cocktail hour, upgraded dinner buffet to include HUGE lobster tails, etc.. which was the best meal lots of our friends/family ever experienced!! The food was ridiculously amazing and we eat out in the states ALOT! I had DJ Gemeni and one of his assistants and they rocked the party! Amazing DJ and thank you to Don/Natasha for referring him to us! The cake was also great! We had a three tiered cake and even got to choose a different flavor for each layer which was awesome... Speaking from a wedding perspective, this place ROCKED and I will be more than happy to answer and questions and send pictures to prospective brides in Negril.. I am telling you after seeing what the beach reception looked like at the Riu versus what I had here, I hands down made the best choice! Hope this helps some!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Negril Escape Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!