“just ok, and with an odd crowd.” 3 of 5 stars

Negril Escape Resort & Spa
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   The Cliffs, West End Road, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #15 of 38 Negril B&B and Inns
New York
“just ok, and with an odd crowd.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I have to preface this review by saying that I'm a seasoned traveler that has backpacked through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Central America and stayed at $3 a night hostels with no problem. SO - I am NOT a picky traveler that gets annoyed easily, and I am certainly not the type of person that wants to stay at big megaresorts either. I have been to Negril before and loved it, but I stayed at the beach last time and thought I could switch it up. After trying to get a reservation at the Rockhouse for my dates and failing, we wound up staying at Negril Escape because it was Jamaican owned and seemed like there were positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I went with some girl friends for a quick vacation, hoping for maximum relaxation.

The price was low for the rooms we booked, but not low enough to warrant the amenities. For Jamaica the rooms at the Escape should be closer priced to $50-60, because the small beach hotel we stayed at last year was around that sum and actually MUCH better. The view at the Escape was nice, but that's as nice as I can say it was. When they say a hotel has 'basics' - you should expect basics, such as a toilet that flushes and sinks that work. For one, there was hardly any water pressure - in the sink and the toilet - which as you can imagine caused some problems -- and by low water pressure I meant that the sink faucet literally dripped water, and that was as much as it went. There were mosquitos in the room due to the fact that some of the windows were slated and would not shut completely. The food at the hotel was ok but overpriced for the amazing options around the road and across from you. Because of these two things we did not try any additional amenities such as the spa or activities, but perhaps they were really great so we can't speak much to that. The staff though seemed to be genuinely nice and cordial, very sweet all smiles.

My biggest complaint about the hotel actually though were the shady characters staying there. I have been to Negril before- and perhaps I didn't notice it because we were younger or perhaps our beach hotel before did not attract this crowd -- and perhaps we were just unlucky with the type of people who also happened to be staying at the hotel with us in February. From the American woman with the young Jamaican man (let's just say they were in the room next door and we could hear EVERYTHING) to the creepy dude staying at the side of the pool all day long talking to some very young local girls, it definitely added an unpleasantness to the trip and would make me hesitant to recommend this hotel to even budget travelers looking for a a relaxed time. I know that unfortunately this is a sad reality for any country with tourism as its primary revenue and a reason as to why some tourists go there, but I'd rather not be staying at a place where it was so apparent. It's a sad reality to confront on vacation, and gives a sleazy feel to your vacation experience that is hard to shake off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cobble Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I am a single parent. I just returned from Negril Escape on Jan 29, 2011. I went there with my two daughters, aged 14 and 20. It was a great holiday for all of us. Negril Escape is a medium sized, family run hotel. They were very hospitable to us and by the time we left, we felt like one of their family.

Who would enjoy Negril Escape? Well if you are a diver, there is wonderful diving with a fabulous reef just off the shore. They run dive courses and have a new dive master from the US. They provide great diving to visitors from all over the world.

If you are at all nervous or shy, the staff at the hotel can help you plan great days, tell you where the best restaurants are, and really ensure that you are well looked after and are having a great time in Jamaica.

We got to know the gardener, who was so proud of his garden and told me all about his flowers and plants, the cook who made us special omlettes every morning, the bar staff, especially Sophia, who knew me and my children by name and would call out welcomes when ever she saw us. We got to know the hotel owners who are hard working, very nice Jamaican people, and even the security guard who told me where on the property my children were....what more could anyone want?

This hotel is not a posh or sterile. It is real and friendly. Yes, I would recommend it. Go with an open heart and mind. Realize that Jamaica is a third world country, and it is hard for the people there. Do not expect ridiculous North American standards...but expect warmth and real....thats what you will get in this hotel, and in Negril Beach.

Enjoy Jamaica mon....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fort Dodge, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is a family owned business and with that, comes all the personal attention we could ask for. The owner's son picked us up at the airport and gave us important information about the culture and history of Negril. He made it very clear, anything we wanted - "no problem mon". The owners and staff were very accommodating in every way. We didn't want a large, commercial, touristy hotel. The rooms were simple and clean. Who wants to be in the room anyway? For those who want to dive, certification and diving was flexible and always professional. Due to weather, all our dives were not possible but the Dive Center was very accommodating. The weekly reggae series sponsored by the resort is the best. Highly recommend Negril Escape if you want a relaxed, non-commercial, island-like experience. We miss all our new friends at Negril Escape and can't wait to return. (Patty Hull and Peggy Trevino)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Just returned from a week at Negril Escape and couldn't have been happier. Although the units are in fourplexes, they are really more in the style of a beach cottage than a hotel room. Not luxurious by any means, but very comfortable. Our bathroom was a bit 'rustic' by US standards and the first day the shower was only a trickle of cold water. They couldn't increase the pressure enough to get a real spray, but they turned up the heat and got enough water coming out that it was quite sufficient for the purpose. Other than that, we couldn't find a thing to complain about and that was really a pretty minimal issue that was quickly resolved to the best of their ability.

Overall, the staff was great. Friendly, but unobtrusive, and always ready to help with anything you might need.

But it's really the location that makes Negril Escape a great choice. Absolutely stunning views, with even the 'garden' rooms offering a great view of the sea. We found ourselves spending hours just enjoying the view. And the hotel is on a great stretch of the West End road with many great restaurants and a lot of active street life right outside the gates.

If you're looking for a fancy resort vacation, you wouldn't be happy here. But for a comfortable room with a fantastic view where you can just relax, you can't go wrong with Negril Escape.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

My family of five (me, husband, and kids ages 15, 14, and 8) visited right after a tropical storm, so the staff was busy cleaning the grounds (which I imagine are lovely if not for the storm). The staff was very helpful and friendly. They serve breakfast each morning and the view is gorgeous. The food isn't really that good to be honest, so just know this going in. The worst thing is the comfort of the rooms. Most of them have one small AC in the master bedroom (and no AC elsewhere) and it is RIDICULOUSLY hot. I have never personally despised heat so much in all my life, and that was in October. The pillows and beds are not comfortable in the least, and the overall cleanliness wasn't so great. I get the feeling that it's a pretty good value for the area though, and the staff will help you find things for your family to do in the vicinity. This is one of those places that's not really great, but isn't really bad either. I would recommend it to anyone who is in Jamaica just to hang out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

At Negril Escape, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun under amazing reggae vibes. the staff is delightful. the best time of the year is during the reggae concert series. You will experience Jamaica at its best. If you are looking for a perfect escape, you found it: the dolphins will greet you every morning while you lay in bed with the windows wide open staring at the ocean. Flowers never emit so sweet and strong a fragrance. Such a beautiful sunny stay, your mind will not astray. The intense high , from the blue sky will Make your troubles all fade away. The warm breeze blowing throughout the jasmin will Make you feel As if you are free. Nothing to concern you, Not a care in the world, your mind will never be tied down after your stay at Negril Escape. With the worldliness around, Take yourself forever to this place, Where conflicts are not abound, As free as a bird, And content as can be, trust me your thoughts will be so sound in this perfect escape.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I went to Jamaica on June for my husband's birthday. The hotel made a beautiful happy birthday natural special designs on the room. People were very friendly, and the views were amazing. I love Escape resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Negril Escape Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!