“fantastic hotel on west end of negril. distance from main strip may be turn off to some.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westender Inn

Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights at the Westender.

Pros:
- amazing staff - every single person we met went out of their way to make sure our stay is pleasant.
- distance from other hotels = tranquility
- we had an ocean view room with amazing sunset views
- wireless internet signal was good in the room
- sunday night bonfire/BBQ was fantastic

Cons:
- about 10 min drive from the happening stuff on main strip of west end
- about 25 min drive from 7-mile beach
- they do have a free shuttle that leaves every hour but operates a little bit on "jamaican time." i would highly encourage renting a car.

Other hotels in the west end you may want to check out is Catchafalling Star which seems very nice when we went to the restaurant there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband, my 12 year old son, his 12 year old friend and I just returned from a week at the Westender. I had spent a lot of time reading Tripadvisor reviews, and wondering if this was a hotel suitable for children. Since there were family reviews, and my e-mails with Keith were reassuring, I decided to keep the reservation we made months ago. We had a great time on vacation, and enjoyed the Westender, but I want to share some details so that others can decide if this hotel is suitable for them. I’m not trying to be hypercritical or overly detailed, but I think that details might help readers decide whether this is their ideal spot or not. I can’t help but wonder if the glowing reviews and number one rating from Tripadvisor might be a bit of a burden for the management at Westender, since expectations are so high for those of us who booked after reading them. My son said he would have enjoyed the hotel more at first if he hadn’t read the reviews, but ultimately he had a great time. Overall we loved Negril and really enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

Location:
The Westender is at the far end of Negril, away from hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. That means if you want to go to town, buy supplies, shop, go out to eat or cash a traveler’s check you have to get a ride. The road divides the property into two parts – the garden side and the beach side. In this area the road is quiet. I’d thought I might be able to walk into town (too far) or ride a bike, but the narrow road and, how shall I say…exciting driving of those in motor vehicles led me to decide bicycling into town was not an option. Jackie’s on the Reef is right next door and available for spa treatments, but I never took advantage. A short walk down the road will bring you to an area of trees and scrub from which I observed parrots and other local birds on short morning walks. Be aware, if you’re out walking residents will stop to ask if you want a ride, company, etc. A polite smile and “no thank you” did the trick each time. In fact, when I had binoculars and a birding book in hand and was asked what I was doing, I answered that I was looking at birds and had an offer for company as I did that as well.

Because the property is located 15 to 20 minutes from the areas on the beach we were visiting and 10 minutes from the attractions on the cliffs, we used the hotel shuttle at least once a day. We were charged $2.50 per adult each way, so about $10 round trip. One of the highlights of our stay was spending time with Jermaine, the driver. He made recommendations about restaurants and activities, and was always great with kids and adults alike. We hope he’ll stay in touch! He recommended the restaurants LTU and Sweet Spice and we enjoyed both. He also recommended the drumming show at Sea Star and it was fantastic.

Although the hotel used to run the shuttle as needed for guests, the increasing popularity has necessitated a schedule. You can catch the shuttle on the hour leaving from the hotel, and on the half hour from town. So this might require some planning – if you want to leave the beach you have to figure out in advance what time to call Jermaine. If you’re planning on being off the property a lot you may want to factor this in. Even with the schedule, there was some flexibility (like waiting at the for me to change the travelers’ checks, pick up a bathing suit for one of the boys or grab some groceries without waiting an hour and change.) The hotel will give you a cell phone but we had to add minutes to it. But for unlimited international plus minutes we paid $20.

Property description:
The property has a security fence around the entire perimeter and security guards posted at the gates, which are closed at night and will be opened for guests.

Our room was located on the garden side. As you enter from the road the building is located on the right side. The building has four apartment-type lodgings. There are two lower and two upper (penthouse) suites housed in one building. The building faces an open area of some trees, grass and gravel. Cars drive into this area and park along the left side, but you never feel like you’re in a parking lot. If you enter from the road and walk straight you will come to the one area that serves as the bar, restaurant and lounge. Most of the tables and chairs are located outside. There is an inside area as well, but it was not air conditioned and few people sat inside. The restaurant faced the parking lot. A suggestion – perhaps some additional landscaping around the restaurant and building.

There is an entrance to the pool to the right of this restaurant area and up a short flight of stairs. The pool has several lounge chairs with cushions around it, and several umbrellas. It is in the shape of Jamaica and has a gradual entry on one side, and a ledge suitable for dangling one’s legs in the pool on the other. It is deep enough to swim, but not very large. It was big enough for the kids and us, and there were always lounge chairs free when we wanted them. This was a nice alternative to the resort frenzy of grabbing a chair at 6:00 a.m. to make sure you get some shade.

The ocean side has more landscaping. During our stay the staff was constructing benches with views of the sea and an ocean blowhole. There is a bar along the waterfront side. It’s my understanding that it was recently built. It was open on the night of our arrival – Sunday – for the bonfire and outside dinner. It was not open at other times.

The beach area is lovely though often too rough for snorkeling or swimming. There are lounge chairs along the beach and plenty of shade. Although there is access to snorkeling from a short platform that projects over the water and a ladder, the waves were too rough for us to swim or snorkel there during our stay. (The waves and swells could push you into the rocks.) There is a small hot-tub sized pool along the rocks on the beach. That is described on some websites as a second pool, but it is not a swimming pool. I never saw anyone in it, but we were out during the day almost every day. It’s a small beach, and older kids will prefer the beaches along seven mile beach.

There are bicycles and snorkeling equipment available for guests.

The room:
Our room was upstairs, and consisted of a living room kitchenette combination, bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom is located off the bedroom so the boys had to come through the bedroom to use the bathroom.

The living room is spacious, and beds were added for the boys. We were not charged for the beds, and the room had plenty of space for us to hang out even with the two beds. (In fact, we had a discount from prices advertised on the web. Call the hotel to see if there are discounts available.) There is a wood framed couch (futon?), a wooden table with chairs, a counter with two stools, an electric stove, refrigerator, microwave and sink. The bedroom is also large, with a king size bed, dresser, closet, and two night tables.

Air conditioning – the living room and bedroom had separate units and each was quiet and worked well.

Although the furnishings were nice, and the floor was tiled, the walls need a coat of paint, and the fridge had some rust spots. Between the stove and the sink, the space on the floor was pretty dirty, though it was in a corner that was not out in the open. The bathroom had a beautifully tiled shower but, again, the walls needed a coat of paint. The bedroom could also use some paint. There are balconies along the living room and bedroom. They are not big enough to sit out on, and we had to keep the doors closed because there were wasp nests along the roof and a couple of wasps got in. Some of the light fixtures were bare lightbulbs without a cover, so as we were reading in bed, I had to shut off the light above the mirror because there was too much glare.

I heard one guest complain that she wanted to change rooms (she was on the ocean side) because the room was a bit run down. I heard two guests ask for plungers. We asked for a fly swatter for the wasps and Keith came over, indicating the room would be sprayed and nests removed. The room was sprayed, some nests came down, but some remained. The wasps that got in died from the spray so the problem was resolved.

Another insect problem (remember – this is tropical) was that there were tiny ants on the counter from the time we arrived. We didn’t make meals in the room. We had occasional snacks, and drinks, but I wiped up and still there were ants. If you bring in dry food make sure it’s kept elevated and wrapped. I had to toss a box of cookies that were on a shelf but for which the wrapping had come undone.

There was a large TV with satellite reception in the living room. There was no phone, but you could get a cell phone at the front desk. There was no clock and no blowdryer though I understand you can get a blowdryer at the desk. I bet they have clocks too though we didn’t ask. The kitchen area wasn’t fully stocked with flatware – it had some items - and had no sponges or towels. There were plates and glasses. If I requested kitchen items I could get them, but they should probably be supplied. (I heard one guest asking for a second spoon for her room.)

The room was quiet day and night, and the bed was firm.

On the day of our arrival I was told the room did not have a safe but one could be brought over, though it would not be bolted down. I requested the safe, but I think each room should have one that is bolted.

Communication:
This was the part where I think the hotel fell down a bit. Communication was sometimes lacking between staff and guests, and sometimes between staff and other staff or management.

We had transfers included with our cost – I believe the policy is if you stay 7 days or more transfers are included. But we were not told we would be waiting for other planes. So when we got to the airport after 9 hours in airports, planes, etc. we were looking forward to our afternoon at the hotel. That’s why we booked the flight times we did. Our flight was early and our ride was a little late. Then we waited for the next flight. And waited. After my husband offered to assist, the driver gave my husband a hand-written sign for the hotel so my husband could find the guests and the driver could idle the van in the road. We waited an hour and twenty minutes counting the fifteen we were early, and I finally called the hotel and asked if we could leave. I found this very frustrating. We arrived at the hotel and I went to unpack. There were only three hangers so I went across the street to get hangers. I was told I could call next time – so I went looking for the phone. The person at the desk wasn’t aware there are no phones in some of the rooms.

The day before we left I thought I should remind the front desk staff our transfers were included and was directed to speak with Keith. Each time I came looking for him to discuss this I was told to come back later. Keith agreed when I finally saw him, but the staff person preparing the bill hadn’t known of the policy. The day we checked in I paid the balance for the room. As I was checking out I was billed for the balance and we had to look for receipts to work this problem out. I overheard another couple talking with management about how they had believed their breakfast was included. So consider working out the details on cost of airport transfers and how long you’ll wait, cost if any of breakfast, whether you’ll be paying for the kids’ transfers and other matters, and confirming in an e-mail. As the billing process is in transition, make sure you check your bill. Ours had some errors, including being billed a second time for half the cost of the stay.

Staff: This is where the hotel shines. After melting down the first day because I hadn’t slept, we’d waited for the ride at the airport, the hangers and other things Karla took me by the hand and led me to a spot on the beach. She brought me a bottle of water and reminded me that the family could wait and I should relax. Jermaine was terrific throughout the week. Kemar and Michelle and others were just lovely. Gary was attentive and responsive. I asked one staff person why they thought the hotel was so highly rated since it is not a luxury hotel, and he answered that other hotels prevent staff from mingling with guests. Here, you get to know the staff, and since the folks we’ve met in Jamaica are so warm and open, a guest at the hotel gets to experience the warmth and friendliness that resort guests and guests at other hotels may not.

Weed: Marijuana (ganja, weed, pot, whatever) is pretty pervasive in Jamaica. So you will be approached in town, and encounter its fans, its odor and its presence all over. At the hotel, there was a guest smoking pretty openly, and two other individuals who always bore the scent. I think the hotel is attracting a broad range of people as guests. Perhaps the management might want to figure out which clientele it is seeking. For families, the weed may be an issue. Because we take a strong anti-drug and anti-pot position with our son, the presence at the hotel required a few conversations. So maybe a no-smoking policy at the bar/restaurant, or no smoking during certain hours at the bar/restaurant, or some other type of policy might be appropriate. Of course, as we were out and about there were folks smoking in restaurants, at shows, and on the beach.

Value: I think the Westender was a very good value for Negril. Many hotels quote prices that do not include taxes. The Westender prices did. If you stay for a week the hotel transfers, that can be $80 to $100 each way, may be included. Breakfast may be included depending on the deal you get. You may get a discount off the web prices. So for a nice large suite with waterfront property and a pool, the prices were good. You’ll pay for the shuttle (and tips if you choose to do that) but enjoy the rides!

Overall: We spent a lot of time at the beach at Margaritaville (free lounge chairs and lovely beach with a water trampoline, near snorkeling boats and locals selling their crafts and wares), but it was always nice to come back to the quiet of the hotel at night. The kids swam in the pool or watched TV in the evening. No blasting music from a neighboring bar, no fighting over lounge chairs, no crowds, lots of space. The hotel was a very relaxing place to use as home base. A friendly staff, good sized rooms and pretty scenery make this a fine hotel for families and others.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Moorestown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Westender from February 13-19. Like so many others, we were drawn here because of all the fabulous reviews on Tripadvisor. I never reviewed any other hotel with a 100% favorable rating, so I had to see it for myself. Last year we stayed on 7 mile beach, so this year we wanted to see the other side of Negril. We absolutely love the casual vibe of Negril, along with the people, food and scenery.

I am happy to report that Westender is everything they say it is, and more. It truely is one of the best places we ever stayed, and not because it is some over the top fabulous resort. In fact, we loved it for the opposite reason. It is as casual, laid back and friendly as Negril itself. It is not at all pretentious. You really do feel like you've made new friends, both staff and guests, when you stay there. It is secluded, which is sometimes a plus and sometimes a minus depending on your mood. The good news is you can always go to town or the beach when you want to, because they will take you there. It really is the best of both worlds. I think that this would be the perfect place for people that go to all inclusives because they feel safe there. I have never felt safer than I did at Westender. But, as so many others have said before, the best part is the people. You feel more like you are staying with family than at some impersonal resort. Everyone knows your name, and you know theirs. One night they even let me make my own Martini at the bar. Where else can you find that?! The views are great, the food was great, and it was the most comfortable bed I ever slept on in Negril, which isn't really known for comfortable beds.

I almost wanted to write a bad review so that we could be sure to keep this treasure to ourselves, but that just wouldn't be fair. I will just have to hope that there will be room available when we want to return, because we will return! Thanks to everyone at Westender for making us feel so special. Hi to Stephanie and Garth as well. We hope the rest of your stay went well, and that you returned to Vancouver safely.

Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

After reading other reviews, one might think that this place is perfect. Not true, in fact, we had perhaps too high expectations from reading tripadvisor. And then we were a little disappointed at some of the things that were not perfect, such as: I sent 3 emails with specific questions during the month before our trip, and not one reply came back.......no coffee pot in the room, and I have that addiction......they forgot our refrigerator request.......not ready at airport to pick us up as promised when we arrived.....the restaurant onsight is only OK. Ok, that's where the negatives end. The positives: they got us a refrigerator asap......they brought over a small coffee maker and filters for us for the week.....and get this--the reason they weren't at the airport was that another family needing picked up refused to wait 30 minutes for us, so the Westender calls Winston--WHO IS ATTENDING A FUNERAL--and he leaves the funeral to come get us at the airport, so we only wait 10-15 minutes--who does that?! Thanks Winston!

Note, if you like constant busy busy commercialized action, then do not stay here. This hotel is way out west, a few miles from the main part of town, not in walking distance to restuarants or that awesome 7 mile beach. But that turns in to a positive. If you want not-commercialized, peaceful, away from it all, then this is perfection. The view is amazing, a nice, small, rocky shore with waves crashing constantly, and spectactular sunsets every night. I think we took more pictures than any of our previous vacations during our time at the Westender. And yes, the staff overall is wonderful. I think first we must mention Jermaine---polite, friendly, helpful, funny, caring, just an overall great person, willing to do anything for you. Either double his pay or rename the location "The Jermaine Inn". Also wonderful were Kamar, Tamesha, Karin, and Gary.

The roads and the drivers in Negril are........well, somewhat dangerous--lack of any sidewalks, lots of curves, etc. Because of this, we decided not to rent a car. The Westender has an inexpensive shuttle service that leaves on the hour, every hour, 9am thru 8pm. They'll take you anywhere. You can call when you want to be picked up, or prearrange a time and place (i.e. "Pick us up at Margarittaville at 4:30pm please").

So in my opinion, the reason that the Westender DESERVES the number one rating on tripadvisor is this: One--the staff is amazingly friendly (I almost forgot, they helped me plan a surprise for my wife Melissa Ann and me for our 5 year wedding anniversary--dessert by candlelight on top of the roof, under the stars---for no charge---amazing!) Two--the location and view is A+/Wow/Postcard-worthy. And three--because of their shuttle service, you can choose to be as busy or as relaxed as you want! Stay at the Inn all day and enjoy the waves, sun, read a book, etc........or get shuttled into town for the beach, the market, the nice restaurants, lots and lots to do, and they'll help set up special tours if you want. Of course every vacationer is different, some will want mostly relaxation, others will want more busy excitement into town. So every day we had a plan, for example, "Let's go check out the market today for an hour and then walk the 7-mile beach, and then come back "home" at 330pm and relax the rest of the day at the Westender". We were spoiled there, you will be, too.

A final note: Great restaurants nearby: Rockhouse, Ivan's, 3 Dives Jerk Centre, Just Natural, and Sweet Spice.

Bucksuk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Westender at the same time as John & Suzi from Canada (see their review) and I remember Suzi saying, on their first morning, that she wanted to stay forever! I can relate to that!

We booked for the all 'right reasons', ie. away from the hustle and bustle of the hundreds of AI guests who have to share the same patch of golden sand on the popular 7 Mile beach. The Westender's patch of sand is, I would guess, the only one locally due to the rocky coastline of Negril's westend and it is exclusive to residents. It is small but beautifully formed - and is cleaned every day. The Inn's grounds are immaculate too.

We booked 5 months in advance for a good rate and Keith, the manager, allocated room 14 to us. It had a wonderful balcony overlooking the sea, from which we could watch the sun rise and set every day and watch and listen to the waves crashing on to the beach and rocks below. We had self catering facilities and had breakfast and light evening meals on the balcony which, after a long day in the sun, was the ideal place to cool off and indulge in a rum punch (or 2!) at sunset. We shopped in the supermarket in Negril where Jermaine (the hotel driver) helped us the first time. He pointed us in the right direction for the best mixer for a rum punch (amongst other things) and protected us from the inevitable locals outside who tried to sell us money, gifts etc. It was great to have someone to show us the ropes - and not just at the supermarket.

We hired a car for the last 4 days of our 10 day stay and managed to explore more off the beaten track. Not for the faint hearted in places but the 4x4 we had was the ultimate vehicle to tackle the pot holed roads and protect us from the local drivers! (Jermaine excluded, of course!).

We tried a small number of Negril's hundreds of restaurants for lunch. Our favourite was Sweet Spice in the centre of town - not attached to a hotel - and used mainly by the locals. A dish to try there is the fish (Snapper) in a coconut curry sauce. Also, their Sweet Spice Special smoothie. They even allowed us to watch a European 6 Nations rugby union match on their TV!

Our only dinner out was at the Rockhouse Hotel about 10 minutes from the Westender. The food was excellent and the place was really buzzing, but we couldn't wait to get back to the peace and quiet of our balcony at the Westender. Interestingly, the manager at the Rockhouse said that she just had to find out what it was that Keith was doing to maintain the Westender's top spot in Negril on Trip Advisor! You have to try it to know!

The Westender team clearly want to maintain/improve their service to visitors but it is hard to make suggestions other than to keep rooms/bathrooms up to a high standard and most importantly, to keep a hold of all their wonderful staff, who appear as one big, happy family. There is one other member of the team that deserves a mention and that is Ivy, the Westender dog. We were up every morning just after sunrise for a walk - and Ivy came too!

The Westender does "exactly what it says on the tin" and we have to say that everything there simply works for those who want to enjoy an intimate, quiet and peaceful 'getaway' in the sun - and we would love to return.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Let me just start off by saying that we did indeed enjoy our stay at the Westender Inn. I echo all the comments made by others that Keith and their staff are exceptional. They are helpful and friendly in the most genuine way.

The Westender Inn is great for someone who want to get away from it all. But is is out of the way and secluded from all the other resorts and restaurants in Negril. We ended up taking the shuttle service at least once a day, if not two or three times, to enjoy the rest of what Negril has to offer.

The Inn is very comfortable, but a bit dated. Don't expect any bells and whistles. It is very quiet, and waking up to the waves crashing against the cliffs is nirvana. On the flip side, there is no hustle and bustle here.

The guests seem to be made up of two distinct sets of people, return guests that seem to be loyal 60's hippies who regard the Inn as their home away from home, and a new generation of guests who all seem to be there because of TripAdvisor's rating of the Inn. The former set seems to regard the later set with some derision.

All in all it's a wonderful Inn if what you are looking for is peace and quiet. If you want to experience all of Negril however, I would suggest a place closer to town.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I found The Westender via their #1 rating on tripadvisor. We were torn between an All Inclusive and Westender's cozy, secluded property.

So we stayed at Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay for three days for the AI experience. And then we travelled to Negril for our adventure at Westender for Jan 30-Feb 3.

While Holiday Inn Sunspree was nice and comfortable and the AI is always a good option, we found The Westender to be the most relaxing part of our trip and experience in Jamaica.

Like almost everyone who filed a review on tripadvisor, the best aspect of Westender is the service you receive from the team working there.

Westender arranged the travel from Montego Bay to Negril and sent Nelson to pick us up. He was very knowledgable and provided much information on the 2-hour ride. Nelson ended up taking us once in Negril and then back to the airport. Nice guy... and a great introduction to Westender.

Once we arrived, we were personally greeted by Keith and met the staff over the balance of the day. The sound of the ocean crashing against the reef was awesome. The private beach and sunning areas allowed you to just relax. We did not miss the business and nightlife of core Negril... and it's just a short trip with their shuttle into town.

Thanks goes out to everyone on the team at Westender. I know I'll miss some names and I apologize for that.

Dan the owner was there for our store and provided great tips and stories. He has accomplished much in his ownership of almost 30 years with this property. Our first night there, we did not have any snacks or extra food and he was kind enough to lend us some munchies from his personal supply -Thanks!

Keith is a professional leader and developed the property and team very well. We enjoyed dealing with him and he was a great host.

Gary is the assistant GM and runs the operations side of things. He got our hammock and fridge together. He had many tips and advice to offer on where to go and what to do. He steered us towards Rockhouse Hotel for dinner - great place to go! With my iphone charger on the fritz, he solved that by lending me his charger. Friendly and skilled, he's a great asset!

Nadine, Kumar and Kanesha helped us out at the bar and restaurant. Jermaine took us back and forth on the shuttle. The housekeeping and grounds crew were all smiles. Thanks to all of you for making our vacation so memorable.

At a property like this, you also make some great friends in the guests who stay there. Each and every one was approachable and it was great to meet people from Canada and the U.S. who loved their time there as much as we did.

In short, this is a great place to stay at and learn about what Jamaica and its people have to offer. Trust the reviews... and come stay a while here. Our only complaint was leaving and perhaps we should have stayed all seven days here. Suzi & I feel like we have a home in Negril to return to and will definitely return to enjoy again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Westender Inn? Share your experiences!