“After a poor start things got taken care of. HAS POTENTIAL though” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westender Inn

May Day Cabin Special
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
DeBary, Florida
“After a poor start things got taken care of. HAS POTENTIAL though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We arrived on a Friday (2/7/14) for a quick 4 day jaunt. We were located in room 24, across the street from the view of the beach.
The Room itself has TREMENDOUS potential here.
Large bedroom with King, the living room again large with 2 small balconies (the Bedroom had one). Drop a little money into fixing up some of the wood, lighting a little here and there and it is a bargain. Wouldn't take much to accomplish this.
Now the issues, and to us arriving were big and we almost left to go someplace else, First of all its pouring out so your pretty much stuck inside. So go to turn on the TV... where is the remote? OK skip the remote turn on this 90's version CRT flat screen manually, huh?
Snow?
Is the TV out?
We go to call the front desk about (this immediately after check in, as we heard another person having TV issues) but problem again.
NO PHONE ANYWHERE!
I investigate the TV issue a bit so I don't have to make more than one trip in the pouring rain across the st. to the office. BIG issue here, TV is plugged in for power but absolutely NOTHING is plugged in at all for input. No Cable, no direct TV NOTHING all hook-ups where never there to begin with. Well my wife DID want to see the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Olympics but she will now wait another 4 years to do so. (we would have gone to the bar, but their TV was never on too). We were told the same excuse as I saw someone else say, lightning storm TV's almost all fixed, no not the case here the cable box DIDN'T exist period.

LOVED the ceilings, all wood, much wood all around just needs some TLC. LOVED the Shower, and the many Balconies, but it was raining sideways so had to keep them closed most of the night too.

Meanwhile my wife is trying to put away some groceries drinks and the refrigerator is unplugged, great we have to wait for that to power up and get cold, that SHOULD have been done ahead of us arriving no question. We see there is no coffee pot or anything like that in the kitchenette. The Blender, well the base is there no top.
We kind of stopped looking after we saw we had nothing more than 1 bar soap a towel each for bathroom utilities.
No shampoo, conditioner or lotion and certainly no blow dryer.
The Shower itself was HUGE!!! Such a waste when you nickle and dime like that, people remember the bad more than the good. Give me a few $1000 and I could make this room look PRIMO!
I had asked for the manager immediately when I went across the street, I was told he would be in around supper time (it was 5:50PM), we never heard from him saw him and we finally fell asleep about 10PM. We were also told no rooms we could move to at all, totally booked, hearing this I was leaving early to check other places as this would not do especially with what we were paying for this. There were a couple of places we had stayed up the street and liked. Oh one thing if you want remote, in the middle of no where THIS IS IT! It is over a 2 mile drive off the main strip to get here, watch out for cows, the sleep in the road at night and have NO intention of "moo"ving at all. No lights on virtually any streets so you have to be alert and the road can narrow down to ONE lane too.

The next morning again across the street after breakfast (which when you book the breakfast plan, does NOT come with breakfast), after saying what happened I saw the Manager and we would be transferred to another room later that day, 2 PM comes around not yet, 4PM not yet around 6 were able to move. So basically day one, other than just hang at the pool is gone and we are out $29 for a breakfast for 2 we thought was included, Only Pancakes, bacon for me and coffee, my wife an omelet, coffee and a slice of bread. $29 w/o tip, a little steep and worse when you expect it coming with.
Now to Room 15, the middle of of rooms top floor with a beach view. Very nice view, we had access to the other to balconies left and right but would feel weird going on what should be their balcony. Our room just the sliders opened no balcony at all. That's OK, we had a far more modern room here, smaller than our last room but fine none the less, here again TV issues, BUT at least we saw something for Direct TV going into the box, they had a guy there within the hour to fix it, and it 2 minutes we were up and running. OK NOW we can start the mini vacation, everything else is working, no blow dryer again as it is on request at the office. PLEASE spend the extra $15/unit on it no excuse for that. This shower (not as nice as the HUGE one, standard size) had the modern Shampoo/Conditioner and Body gel(that one empty) on the wall. You would never think the 2 rooms were in the same resort. No issues after that EVEN had a running Fridge, and had ICE MAKERS!
Bonus! (nothing in the other one at all).
I would suggest one thing, have a TV in the bedroom as well they are cheap enough today for a 32" ($200, heck I got one on Black Friday for $98), buy in bulk and you get discounts!
The resort grounds, they were fine, the BIG Pool was what is expected, the Salt Pool was a tad cold but when it warmed up could be fun with waves crashing over into it, We had the run of the place to ourselves Sunday and Monday, for a place they said was sold out first night I never saw a person next to us in room 15.

Bottom line I would give this place a little time, I KNOW they read the reviews here and may I suggest just a few things, once these are done your place could THRIVE!

Never send a customer to a room or book a room that is not even remotely what is advertised, (i.e. room 24)
1.) Flat screen TV to everyone is LCD or LED not CRT. Yes it was in the room and there but no hook-ups. This was a definite known issue going on here.
2.) Turn on the Fridge to be working properly upon guest arrival.
3.) Make sure EVERYTHING is working and there.
4.) Spend a little money on room 24, this could be considered a GEM of a unit it was HUGE! (Guessing close to a 1000 sq. ft!)
5.) 2 TV's in every room, that is normal today
6.) Coffee makers, a must, even the WORST rooms have that.
7.) If you don't want people to use the stove and cook, fine remove it, better that than be missing most things you would need to prep a meal or a drink. You either do it right or don't at all. (They had mentioned they were phasing it out)
8.) Don't give the impression breakfast was to be included then hit you with a bill after, that was not right. Mind you they said they were comping the breakfast days (1 & 2) for what we went through, upon check out they did only one.
9.) I cant say it enough invest a little into some TLC in those rooms, you are NOT far from something special, the charm of the room is there but things should not look worn out or missing
The Lady at the Front Desk was very pleasant, staff at the bar/restaurant same as well. No complaints with the staff at all. Very friendly too.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach side, modern till the fix the bigger rooms. I would also ask about the issues abo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Westie_Negril, General Manager at Westender Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Westender Inn. We are very pleased with all the positive Tripadvisor comments we received over the years and we work hard to ensure all our guests are just as satisfied. We recently renovated 90% of our rooms, upgraded 100% of linen, landscape, bar/restaurant staff, website and the overall hotel appearance. We plan to complete upgrade to other 10% of rooms in the off season (May – October, 2014).

With regards to TV, we use DirecTV service and at the time you arrive, it was raining and very cloudy. Therefore, all TVs/satellite service was out due to the heavy rain and cloud cover. The fridge and coffee maker in your room should have been plugged in prior to your arrival and this oversight was addressed with housekeeping.

I did get a chance to speak with you early the next morning and you were given a complementary upgrade to our sea side Dolphin suite where you stayed for the balance of your time at Westender Inn. I remember following up with you after you moved and you were very pleased with the upgrade.

Thanks again for your review and I sincerely hope you will come again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We were married in a 5 star all inclusive week one and decided that week two would be a different experience.
We found The Westender after looking on trip advisor for B&B's in Negril. I loved the reviews and photos I saw... So why not go?!

The first drive out there made us wonder....... How far out is this place?? When we arrived it was a small shock from what we just came from, but we settled in quite quickly! Dane picked us up from the airport and was great at pointing out some spots along our drive.

We found the spot that was away from the buzz of everything, it's small, intimate and cozy! It's easy to get to know the other guests and staff. Some guests have been coming here forever!! Between the rooms by the cliffs and the cabins across the road.... stay weeks or months! Watch the sunset from your patio, the salt water pool on the cliff or the chairs they have around.

We stayed in room 3, beautiful view and listening to the waves crash against the cliff at night while laying in bed..... SO relaxing! The room is basic, but clean and functioning. Only one evening was loud due to the Sunday night bonfire parties, they use the cliff side bar that evening. Room 3 & 4 are facing it.
If you think you want some snacks ask for a fridge and ask Jermaine to take you to the supermarket! Jermaine was fabulous, he drives the shuttle... so to/from outings on the beach, the craft market, dinner... whatever! Ask him where to get the GOOD jerk pork. ;)

Both Renee and Jhoenea work in the office and were extremely friendly and helpful. If you want to do some tours, they have lots of suggestions... to the good spots!

We met so many wonderful people at this little gem! Loved seeing and visiting Kemar, Terry, Paulette, and Sheldon in the restaurant breakfast/lunch/dinner or drinks, Rase the cook.... we were happy with everything made for us, and the family they make you feel apart of is amazing. Thanks for my bracelets San! We even had the opportunity to meet the owners and family, very cool people!
My new husband and I were really sad to leave. We figure the only reason to come home was our puppy haha!!

We've already been discussing returning....... for longer OF COURSE!!

Sorry if we missed anyone/anything!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Long awaited vacation for 2 best friends - Assunta and Clinton! We've told everyone (clients and friends) about this little piece of paradise! Great rooms, wonderful food, and if you need or want anything the staff can't do enough to accomadate you. You can't help but feel at home and most of all loved. The perfect place to rest and party. All ready planning our next visit. Keith and his staff make it all possible.

Room Tip: A room on the ocean side, the sea lulls you to sleep and gets you going in the morning.
Bordentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Four of us; Jennifer, Patricia, Charles, and Fay (me), Took this pre-wedding trip. We are all Jamaicans, but this is a hidden secret that we have just discovered; quiet, secluded, relaxing! Georgeous rooms! Away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Negril, but easy access with the hourly shuttle service!
Beautiful people! Beautiful place! Good tasting, and a variety, of food...whatever your pleasure!
The welcome was warm and personal! We felt 'at home', at home! Though the place was much occupied, they trated us as if we were the only ones there! We can't wait to return!
To Keith, Renee, Abby, Terry, and all the staff...you are the best! And, how can we forget K K!

Room Tip: If you like the sound of the ocean, the deluxe ocean side suites are where you want to be! Want it a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Once again, we vacationed at the Westender Inn this year. It is an excellent place to watch the sun rise and set as well enjoying a beautiful peaceful vacation. I cannot say enough about the people that work there. They are very dedicated and have one mission in mind.... to make your vacation absolutely perfect. The food is great and you can expect to be treated like family.
I can hardly wait until next year and do it again.

Room Tip: Rooms 14, 15 and 16 have a spectacular ocean view.
flowdesigns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a review that I have been looking forward to writing. My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at the Westender Inn. This was one of our most relaxed and memorable trips of all time, largely due to our accommodation and the staff at the Westender Inn.

For those of you who are not familiar with Negril, it is a bustling beachside community with lots of small inns, a gorgeous beach….. and lots of vendors, solicitors and noise from end to end. If you go a bit past the main town to the "west end", you will find a mellower, funky scene. Located at almost the very end of the road is the Westender Inn. It is set miles away from the touristy scene up the road and well worth the journey.

The rooms are modestly furnished, but are clean and include very comfortable beds. Most of the units are set right along the ocean, which is a rocky beachfront that you dive right into for snorkeling. There is a small beachfront pool set right into the rocks. Its a gorgeous setting. Each of the units have a private porch with hammocks and chairs.

The true highlight of this place is its staff and management. The owner, who resides in the US, was there during our stay. It is clear that he has built a very strong management and staff team, and has earned the respect of the local community. Each member of "the team" is dedicated to making guests have an exceptional experience.

The food at their restaurant is very good. Meanwhile, there was a "guest chef" staying at the Inn during our stay. This led to amazing meals including a roasted pig that was cooked along the beach and an enormous snapper that was fetched from a local market and cooked to perfection. Did I mention that this guest chef is also a very talented musician who entertained us all after creating culinary masterpieces?

The inn maintains a shuttle with a fabulous driver who will take you where you need to go for a very reasonable rate ($3.50 each way to most local destinations).

This place is not for everyone. If you want high end luxury with a ton of amenities, it is probably not the hotel for you. If you are looking for a true getaway that will offer unique, memorable experiences… this is your destination. There were quite a few repeat guests staying at the inn who return year after year. We may have to follow suit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We really enjoyed staying at Westender Inn. It's the type of place where you can interact with people if you want, or you can be by yourself and it is incredibly relaxing. All verandas (at least for the ocean deluxe suites) have hammocks and chairs to relax in. Or, you can sit on the beach in the chairs provided. I cannot reiterate how friendly the staff are. When I come back to Jamaica, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had room 6 (ocean side) which was on the second floor. it was cool because no one was staying in...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Westender Inn? Share your experiences!