“Phenomenal, wonderful, perfect property!” 5 of 5 stars

Westender Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Rd, Negril 03277, Jamaica   |
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Baltimore, Maryland
“Phenomenal, wonderful, perfect property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

There was a LivingSocial deal that a friend and I chose to take advantage of to stay at the Westender. From the get go, the staff at the Westender were wonderful. Keith took care of our arrangements and when we arrived, we found out that we were upgraded to an ocean-view suite. Every morning, we would sit and read by our balcony as the waves crashed against the cliffs.

The saltwater pool was a perfect spot to read and enjoy the sound of the waves crashing on the cliffs nearby, and I encourage anyone staying here to get a seaside massage. You'll feel lighter, rejuvenated, and just delighted in general after experiencing Tara's healing touch.

The hotel is more remote than some of the others, but it never felt like we were too far away from Negril proper. We could easily take the shuttle into Negril when we wanted to, or to go out to eat. I would advise to travel with at least one other companion generally if attempting some of the more local thoroughfares versus those associated with tourist spots and hotels.

The staff was entirely wonderful, fully committed to providing the best service to its clients. By the end of the stay, I felt like I had made new friends rather than stayed at a hotel. Staff recommendations for places to eat, what beach to visit, and more were all wonderful. One (of many!) nice thing about the Westender is that it's so small, you get to know some of the other visitors to the island by virtue of bumping into each other regularly.

Two notes: the massage included in the Living Social package was for one massage only, so if there is a second person on the trip, that's an added expense! Also, the Westender staff was absolutely professional, courteous, and respectful, but as we were two women traveling together, I did find that some locals in Negril proper were far more aggressive than they might have been if I had brought a male travel companion along.

I cannot say enough about the Westender Inn: from the beauty of the location to the cleanliness of the room to the terrific customer service provided by all staff members (Colleen, Renee, Jermaine, Chris, Keith, etc.) to just the breath of fresh air the inn provides for one who hadn't taken an overseas vacation in a long time - it was just perfect.

I will certainly be visiting again, and will encourage all of my friends to do so as well!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Westender Inn is at the far west end just outside of Negril, near Rick's and the Lighthouse. If you want to park yourself in an all inclusive resort, this is not for you. We had a rental car and were glad we did-all except for the driving part :-). The staff is very friendly and the food is great. We were steps from the water, although during the time we were there the waves crashing on the rocks made the little beach unswimmable.

Room Tip: There are four rooms in our buliding - two on the first level and two on the upper that have great v...
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Westender Inn has to be the most beautiful hotel/inn in Negril. The place looks exactly like the photos that they have posted on their website

The view from the rooms are gorgeous! You have your own spacious private balcony with a hammock!! Most of all the service is great!

Big thank you to Renee. I called in advance and told her what I wanted and she recommended the room. When we arrived and she walked us into the room my mouth dropped! The room was absolutely amazing!

I will definitely be returning to the Westender whenever I am staying in Negril!

• Stayed March 2013
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westender for our second year anniversary. We decided to stay there based on the reviews. All I can say is that the Westender is more than what people write. There is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. The people there and in the rest of Negril are the nicest people that I have ever met in my entire life.As long as the Westender is there, I will be back!!!! My new home!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
cape cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Out of the chaos of the resorts, bars, etc. the Westender is like being on your own private estate. Extraordinary views, lovely salt plunging pool, soothing veranda outside our room, not to mention the most wonderful and fun employees ever! My two daughters surprised me with this trip for my 80th birthday....what fun! Great restaurant, bar, full fresh water pool! And when we wanted to see the action off we went to watch cliff diving, shopping, new restaurants, snorkeling beaches....etc. The employees make the difference making a visit warm and fun and inviting instead of just another resort. Try it!! You'll love it!!

Room Tip: we loved ground floor facing the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westender in March thanks to a great deal with Living Social. The location of the Inn is at the end of the West End of Negril (thus the name) and is very isolated from the action in the city. This makes it an ideal spot for those folks who want to get away from it all and unwind. When we travel, we typically rent a car. However, because of the insurance requirements, we chose to forgo this and have the Inn pick us up instead (the current charge is $80 for two people one way). Be very careful if you choose to rent a car. Check your insurance. We checked both our own car insurance and our credit card insurance. This is one of the few countries that neither would insure, which means you need to purchase the insurance offered by the car company. By the time you add this cost, it was quite expensive. In addition, the hotel offers a shuttle for a very reasonable fee ($3.50 per person per one way) and will take you anywhere you want to go. So we ended up saving money by not renting the car.

The property itself is small. There are rooms on both sides of the road, but if you want a view ask for a room on the ocean side. If you are there on a Living social voucher, see if they will upgrade you to one of the suites for an additional cost. They are much nicer than the regular rooms and have just as good a view. This is their slow time so they aren't very busy right now.

The room we were assigned (#4) had a great view. It has a porch with hammock and chairs. The room itself is very small, but adequate. The furnishings are dated (it reminds me of a low-cost American chain) but clean. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning is marginal and it tends to get warm at the end of the day.

Our voucher included daily breakfast, and this was consistently very good. They offer quite a range of items and you will find all the traditional American types of breakfast foods. We weren't quite as happy with the other meals we had at the facility and found them to be ok but not great (with the exception of the fried chicken which was great).

The service provided by EVERYONE was exceptional. To a person the staff was courteous and friendly. Another big advantage of this hotel is that you won't be bothered by people walking the beach trying to sell you something.

In terms of snorkeling, you can go right off the rocks, but the sights are marginal at best. We went further down in Negril off the cliffs which was some better, and you can also take a boat off the 7 mile beach which is probably the best snorkeling around that area. However, my husband did see two large sting rays right off our room on the last day who hung around and swam with him for a long time. That was thrilling!

Another big treat was the massage that was included in the voucher. It was done by Tara Hayles under the trees just a few feet from the ocean. Awesome. it was also one of the best massages I have ever had, anywhere. Her email is hayles.tara@gmail.com and you can find her on Facebook at Healing Touch Massage.

Overall this was a great getaway and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We had Room 4 which was only about 25 feet from the water and had a great overall view.
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've stayed at the Westender Inn many times over the years. Just when I think it can't get any better, they go over the top again! The staff, in their clean pressed uniforms with their bright smiling faces, could not be more professional and pleasant. Everything is kept clean and well maintained. The landscaping looks wonderful, and the seaside seawater pool is an incredible addition, and it, too, has a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule that like everything else at the Westender Inn, somehow never seems to intefere with life in paradise.
The restaurant, as always, is awesome. The food is well prepared, beautifully presented, and every dish we tried was delicious. Both Kmar and Sheldon made the best Pina Coladas I've ever had and I've had plenty to judge by.
I noticed several other guests enjoying seaside massages. When I asked about it, they all said it was the best they'd ever had, one even added "and I work at a spa."
Tara came and I had hands down the best massage ever, better than Sandals Negril and better than several locations of the Ritz Carlton. And the massage, with tip, was dramatically less than just the massage at the Ritz (which was nowhere near the ocean)!
Despite the fact that the hotel was nearly full, there was never a time that I couldn't find a completely private and quiet spot by the ocean, or heaven forbid, by the crystal clear pool built in the shape of the island of Jamaica.
Although there is not a spa or a fitness center, neither of which were missed, I marked both of these as excellent as well. It seems that although saying a little more about something is marked as optional, once you start it becomes a required field. It seems perhaps Trip Advisor needs to take a lesson from the Westender Inn and be a bit more flexible!

Room Tip: Just like everything at the Westender Inn, it's all good!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Westender Inn? Share your experiences!