“A Lovely Spot to Unwind” 4 of 5 stars

Westender Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Rd, Negril 03277, Jamaica   |
Ranked #8 of 91 hotels in Negril
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Lovely Spot to Unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westender in March thanks to a great deal with Living Social. The location of the Inn is at the end of the West End of Negril (thus the name) and is very isolated from the action in the city. This makes it an ideal spot for those folks who want to get away from it all and unwind. When we travel, we typically rent a car. However, because of the insurance requirements, we chose to forgo this and have the Inn pick us up instead (the current charge is $80 for two people one way). Be very careful if you choose to rent a car. Check your insurance. We checked both our own car insurance and our credit card insurance. This is one of the few countries that neither would insure, which means you need to purchase the insurance offered by the car company. By the time you add this cost, it was quite expensive. In addition, the hotel offers a shuttle for a very reasonable fee ($3.50 per person per one way) and will take you anywhere you want to go. So we ended up saving money by not renting the car.

The property itself is small. There are rooms on both sides of the road, but if you want a view ask for a room on the ocean side. If you are there on a Living social voucher, see if they will upgrade you to one of the suites for an additional cost. They are much nicer than the regular rooms and have just as good a view. This is their slow time so they aren't very busy right now.

The room we were assigned (#4) had a great view. It has a porch with hammock and chairs. The room itself is very small, but adequate. The furnishings are dated (it reminds me of a low-cost American chain) but clean. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning is marginal and it tends to get warm at the end of the day.

Our voucher included daily breakfast, and this was consistently very good. They offer quite a range of items and you will find all the traditional American types of breakfast foods. We weren't quite as happy with the other meals we had at the facility and found them to be ok but not great (with the exception of the fried chicken which was great).

The service provided by EVERYONE was exceptional. To a person the staff was courteous and friendly. Another big advantage of this hotel is that you won't be bothered by people walking the beach trying to sell you something.

In terms of snorkeling, you can go right off the rocks, but the sights are marginal at best. We went further down in Negril off the cliffs which was some better, and you can also take a boat off the 7 mile beach which is probably the best snorkeling around that area. However, my husband did see two large sting rays right off our room on the last day who hung around and swam with him for a long time. That was thrilling!

Another big treat was the massage that was included in the voucher. It was done by Tara Hayles under the trees just a few feet from the ocean. Awesome. it was also one of the best massages I have ever had, anywhere. Her email is hayles.tara@gmail.com and you can find her on Facebook at Healing Touch Massage.

Overall this was a great getaway and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We had Room 4 which was only about 25 feet from the water and had a great overall view.

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've stayed at the Westender Inn many times over the years. Just when I think it can't get any better, they go over the top again! The staff, in their clean pressed uniforms with their bright smiling faces, could not be more professional and pleasant. Everything is kept clean and well maintained. The landscaping looks wonderful, and the seaside seawater pool is an incredible addition, and it, too, has a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule that like everything else at the Westender Inn, somehow never seems to intefere with life in paradise.
The restaurant, as always, is awesome. The food is well prepared, beautifully presented, and every dish we tried was delicious. Both Kmar and Sheldon made the best Pina Coladas I've ever had and I've had plenty to judge by.
I noticed several other guests enjoying seaside massages. When I asked about it, they all said it was the best they'd ever had, one even added "and I work at a spa."
Tara came and I had hands down the best massage ever, better than Sandals Negril and better than several locations of the Ritz Carlton. And the massage, with tip, was dramatically less than just the massage at the Ritz (which was nowhere near the ocean)!
Despite the fact that the hotel was nearly full, there was never a time that I couldn't find a completely private and quiet spot by the ocean, or heaven forbid, by the crystal clear pool built in the shape of the island of Jamaica.
Although there is not a spa or a fitness center, neither of which were missed, I marked both of these as excellent as well. It seems that although saying a little more about something is marked as optional, once you start it becomes a required field. It seems perhaps Trip Advisor needs to take a lesson from the Westender Inn and be a bit more flexible!

Room Tip: Just like everything at the Westender Inn, it's all good!
Around the World
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at the Westender in March. I have spent years traveling international and stayed at hotels mainly 3-star international to 5-star stateside. My first time in Jamaica, I stayed in an all-inclusive in Montego Bay. Due to increasing prices, economic turmoil, and a great deal from Living Social, I decided to forego the all-inclusive and stay “off the beaten path”.

And off the beaten path it definitely was! Traveling to the Westender will leave you tired, so you will be grateful for the relaxation upon arrival. I traveled with a “friend” (wink, wink), which really helped to enjoy the quiet solitude of the Westender. I almost always travel by myself, and I cannot say I would have come to the Westender had I not been with someone else. It’s just too quiet, and there is nothing immediately close by. I feel uncomfortable always depending on a taxi or the hotel shuttle. And it wasn’t super convenient to leave the hotel to go into town. So, bringing a travel partner to the Westender made this trip the best I’ve ever had in all my years of traveling!

March is a great time to travel, and Negril is the perfect place anytime! You can get a great price and not have to worry about Spring Break travelers. It’s quiet in all the areas and the perfect place to relax with zero worries. The weather is perfect. It rained once for about 10 minutes, even though there were dark gray clouds every day.

As I mentioned, traveling to the Westender is an excursion in itself. I booked through Clive’s Transportation. I’ll review Clive’s separately. However, it was 90 minutes from the airport to the hotel on windy roads. The Westender is *far*...far...far...lol. First there is Negril, then the 7-mile beach, then the cliffs...and then the Westender Inn. We arrived at night, and the gracious receptionist Renee was waiting for us. It almost felt like she was a sister worried because we hadn’t come home yet. Very welcoming, and we were ready to relax as soon as we walked on the hotel grounds. We were given a nice room on the first floor, which was very nice and very fixed up...but I asked for the room on the second floor because even though it was smaller, and the bed was a Queen, it had a hammock and the view was better. A queen bed is not the end of the world. Honestly, any room on the grounds was great.

The room had free wifi, private bath, drawer and closet space, and a small television with (drumroll) DirecTV. The room is very simple, but clean and refreshing. The staff cleans and sprays, so no bugs to worry about. There’s an outside balcony with a hammock to swing. The room has it’s own background music--that is, the sounds of the waves crashing on the cliffs. Very soothing, and most days we turned off the television to be able to hear the waves better.

The grounds are nicely kept. Nothing fancy, just nice and simple, not “manufactured” like the all-inclusive resorts. There are two freshwater pools, and the huge ocean of course. Folks went scuba diving and even swimming in the choppy waters. There is a restaurant close by, and it was nice walking over there to chat with Kenesha, Kemar, and Sheldon. Just a wonderful relaxing time. Breakfast every day was delicious. Pancakes for me, with a side of fruit. Most days we didn’t even leave the hotel for lunch, and just ate again at the restaurant. The prices of the restaurant were more on the higher side. Better prices could be found along the cliffs and beaches, if you’re up to venturing out. However, all the food anywhere we went to was great. I have a vegetarian pallet, so it was harder to find unique dishes without meat. Most of the time I had the rice and peas and some callaloo or other veggies.

The staff was pretty nice. Laid back and unpretentious. From the reception, to the restaurant, to the shuttle (Jermaine), every was nice, relaxed and just friendly. I was happy to be there and didn’t want to leave.

Negril overall is the best place, and I realized I enjoyed hanging out at the cliffs way more than any beach. I just love the water and watching the sunset was the best part of most days. We found ourselves rushing to a restaurant just to catch the sunset. Highlights of our days.
More great things about the stay at the Westender Inn was the local massage therapist who visited the hotel occasionally to give massages right outside. Tara was an excellent masseuse, and I had the best massage ever.

This is an awesome place to relax and just chill out. Once again, I wouldn’t travel to this hotel by myself since it’s so far and so quiet, but with the right companion, it’s a great visit.

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Apart from the restaurant the inn was perfect. We had a few mishaps which was of no fault of the Westender inn. It was all to do with guests smoking tobacco and other things and guests walking through the patio of our room when there was no need for them to do that. We don,t like air conditioning so our doors and windows are nearly always open. People using the front porch as a thorough fare and guests on either side smoking was not pleasant. This has not stopped me recommending the westender. It's safe secure, no hassle part of negril. I will go back next year. We have since travelled to the east of the island at port Antonio. I wished I stayed at the westender at negril as the hotel we are in as we speak right now at port Antonio is extremely disappointing. (I accidentally gave a rating for a fitness centre at the westender and can't erase it - I don't think they have one - well I never saw one)

Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My sister had strongly suggested that I check out the Westender for a get away and lunch. From the moment we stepped into the front office we were met by cheerful and welcoming people. It did not matter that we were not staying there, we were greeted with open arms.

One of the residents told us that they had just gotten a shipment of fresh seafood including lobster, so why not order the best??? I ended up ordering TWO salads because I enjoyed the first one so much with the homemade dressing. My lobster was divine and it came with whipped potatoes and a bowl full of steamed green beans and carrots. But the real treat was the final bill, even with two glasses of wine it did not empty out the bank account. The service was par excellent , and as we were leaving we saw another happy group of visitors picking out their lobster,

The manager, Keith,, came by to meet us personally and chat for a while. We toured the grounds and the rooms are very lovely. There are also cabins on the grounds that can be rented short term or long term. It was so so quiet and if relaxing and getting away from it all is your speed, this would be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have been excited about writing this review since our last day at the Westender. My husband and I just got back from our one-week stay at the Westender to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I cannot say enough great things about this place; it truly is the best place to stay in Negril, Jamaica.

This was my second time in Jamaica and my husband's 6th time! In fact, he and I met there years ago; so we already had the 7-mile beach/touristy experience in Negril. This time around, we were looking for a more intimate, relaxing experience, and that's exactly what we found at the Westender, and more...

True, the location is not close to the beach, but it doesn't matter! In fact, nothing else matters when you are at the Westender. Our first day there, it was cloudy and rainy. Normally, as a sun-lover, I would be upset by the bad weather but the views, excellent food, relaxing atmosphere, kind people, nature, comfortable beds/accommodations, etc compensated for the not-so-great weather. We ended up having nothing but sunshine in the days after, which only added to the intrinsic gleam of the Westender, but it's worth noting that this place is really special despite location, weather or other factors about your trip. There's also so much to do in Negril that beach/sun were just small parts of our trip. We rented a moped and rode around the island for a couple days, which was so easy and fun to do with the help of the people at Westender. They will take you to the right vendors who you can trust. Not to mention, their drivers will take you anywhere you want to go and recommend the best places which aren't touristy at all. Check out Rhodes Hall or Half Moon beach, very secluded beaches with calmer clearer waters because they are in a bay.

We stayed in one of the ocean view rooms, just steps from the water. The bed was extremely comfortable, we slept really well (about 10-12 hrs each night) and the rooms were well kept, clean and the sound of the crashing waves made it feel like we were in a dream. The sunsets were to die for; we enjoyed sunset dinners just outside our room, with service from the great men and women working at the on-location restaurant, Westies. We only needed to give them like 20 mins notice to setup our sunset dinners outside on the cliffs. There was hardly anyone around making it extra romantic. And to top it off, the food was delicious! We ate breakfast lunch and dinner there most days. We went to dinner at Rock House one night and totally regretted it b/c it caused us to miss the Sunday bonfire at the Westender and the food at Rock House was "meh" compared to Westies. Even more, every morning you wake up there is a fresh pot of savory Jamaican coffee waiting for you at Westies and the sweet staff greet you to see if there's anything else you'll need to start off your day. It was just perfect.

And, I cannot say enough wonderful things about the people that make up the Westender. Forgive me if I miss someone but namely: Dane & Jermaine (your drivers and go-to guys); Renee, Ullie, Kamar, Kameesha ...and of course, the gracious owner/manager, Keith. They truly made us feel like they were our family and Westender was our home. After venturing off during the day, it always felt so nice to come back to the Westender. One day, we went down to the 7-mile beach and were so annoyed with the rough waves and hecklers that we called Jermaine to come back and pick us up two minutes later! Upon arriving back at the Westender, we instantly felt more relaxed and realized the better option was to just lay by the water near the cliffs and enjoy the well-kept pools, swimming, snorkeling, delicious frozen drinks and all around beautiful grounds that the Westender had to offer.

I could go on and on about how amazing this place is but I'm limited to 200 characters so I'll wrap it up by just saying: all the positive reviews are true and any negative reviews are to be ignored as they are likely the result of people expecting a more touristy different kind of experience. In fact, I'd like to dispel any of the reviews re: the Westender's billing. First of all, this place is extremely affordable and a great value. My husband and I charged everything to our room, including all our meals. By the end of the trip, I was a little concerned our final bill would be huge but when I checked it with Renee, I was pleasantly surprised; it was much less than I expected and each item billed was clearly explained and completely fair. We ended up tipping the employees more on top of that; that's how satisfied we were with our stay and how grateful we were to them for their kindness and hospitality. What is also important to note is that, we were happy to pay Westender not just because of the value of the services, but also because we were financially contributing to an establishment that really captures the essence and beauty of Jamaica and its rich culture. I would rather give my hard-earned money to this type of business than some fancy schmancy, revolving-door resort you can find at any other tropical location. The Westender is special; a diamond in the rough!

My husband is currently rounding up his entire family to plan a trip down to the Westender over Thanksgiving. We intend to return again and again and feel no need to look any further for another place to stay. For those of you looking for a quiet, relaxing, cultural experience in Jamaica, visit this amazing place - you will not be disappointed.

-Written by an overly critical, perfectionist with a big grateful heart. :)

Room Tip: Ocean view king deluxe was perfect.
Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 7nights during February using Living Social deal. Great value for the money!
Our first visit to Jamaica for our 10yr wedding anniversary with the intent of finding a place that is quiet, romantic and away from the busy and loud areas...was exactly what we found in Westender Inn! Include the awesome service of the staff such as Renee, Ulie and Germaine made our stay that much more memorable. Thank you guys!
For those looking for a place close to the beach and where all the action is, Westender Inn may not be the place for you, as it is about a 20 minute ride from the Deep West End (where its located) to the beach or into town. Otherwise, we loved our stay there and we also went into town and the beach nearly everyday as we didnt mind going all over the place during the day.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Westender Inn? Share your experiences!