“I said YES in Catcha!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Atlanta, Georgia
“I said YES in Catcha!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Where to begin this review.... how about from the start!

Months ago I started planning a 5-day vacation for my boyfriend and I, just to get away. From Atlanta, flights to Jamaica seemed affordable. Negril as the final destination seemed like somewhere cool (I had never been to Jamaica). Catcha was the #1 rated place in Negril, AND affordable! So, I decided this was our place.
Check-in was easy - we stayed 2 nights at the Gemini 1 and one night at the Venus. Prior reviews of the Gemini 1 mentioned hearing walking on nearby paths and barking dogs, but neither of these were a problem for us. There was also mention of paper-thin walls but with that in mind, I banged my fist on the wall one night and it's definitely solid concrete!, so no problems with noise frome the neighboring side. It was a small cottage, not a lot of space - but that's our usual style. The bathroom was great, updated, plenty of hot/cold water. The AC unit worked great during the warm nights (and also acted as good white noise to drown out whatever sounds were nearby). I wanted to treat us to a fancy room while we were there, so our 3rd an last night was in the Venus. Originally booking the Aries (the other top floor villa unit), Adreia at the front desk (very nice and helpful!) told me on the morning of the 3rd day the Aries wouldn't be ready until the normal afternoon check-in time, BUT that the Venus, which was the other top floor villa, was available immediately, for the same place, pretty much the same exact room except for the left-hand side of the building, if we wanted that one instead. Sure! We took the option and were able to move into our new unit right away, which was spectacular. What a terrific view this unit has. It's big too, has a separate living room and full eat-in kitchen. We spent day and night on most of the deck outside though!
Ivan's bar/restaurant is AWESOME. During my stay there I had the crab cakes, a cheeseburger, and my FAVORITE, the jerk chicken penne pasta!! So good. SO good in fact that we didn't really bother but once to go outside the grounds to find other food.
There is a little grocery store right outside of Catcha, which is good if you want to make a quick Red Stripe run (which we made a few).
The cliffs: love them! Such a different feel than a crowded, vendor-packed beach. One of the best things about Catcha as a whole is the ratio of grounds space to villas. I think there was only 15 or 16 units, but there is lots of space on the cliffs, at the pool, at the restaurant to hang out. Even with full occupancy, we felt like we had a lot of space to ourselves!! This was something I haven't really experienced at other top-rated places. Back to the cliffs though, there are lots of perches to launch yourself off of, which of course we did. We got a snorkle one day and explored around nearby.
One more thing to mention, my boyfriend asked me to marry him on morning #2 of our stay - in the Gemini - and I said yes. :-) Nothing like a beautiful engagement ring to go along with a beautiful resort and good weather, what else would I girl want on a 5-day vacation?! I am not sure when we will visit Jamaica again, but it's hard to imagine us staying anywhere but Catcha. The 5-star reviews are legit. It is a special, fantastic place.

I am not posting pictures at this time, but I will in the near future! I have a plenty!

TIPS: Bring cash for meals. I don't think you can leave a tip charged to your room, so if you don't have some change I'm not sure how you'd leave the good waitstaff tips.
BOOK EARLY! Seems like this place, and the top-notch units, are booked way in advance.
Make friends with Melton, a cab driver who frequents Catcha. He is good people, doesn't try and rip you off. He took us back to the airport, into downtown Negril one day, and to the Negril Hills golf course another day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Rockwall, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Five years ago we started traveling to Jamaica and Catcha Falling Star is where we stayed.....and every year since then we have come back. It is so beautiful and the people there are awesome. Two years ago my now husband proposed to me there with lots of help from the staff at Catcha. It is just a special place. The food is excellent!! We have drifted off and eaten at places near by, but for the last couple years we dare not eat anywhere else. The food is just too delicious at Catcha. (You do have to have a Pattie while you are there though! ;) It is just a short, snokel swim or quick walk away from Rick's Cafe. It is on the Travel Channel as one of the most visted vacation spots for beautiful sunsets.....BUT you can see the very same sunset from Catcha! We have been to Jamaica as a couple multiple times and we have also come with friends, every experience has been a great one. I would recommend this spot to anyone!! Stay at Catcha Falling Star, snorkel with Vincent (ask for him at the office and he will pick you up right off the cliffs), go down to the 7 mile beach one day and check out the craft market, make sure you have a Pattie while you are there, eat Catcha's food (I'm telling you....it's the best!), and go see the cliff jumping one afternoon at Rick's Cafe (something you have never seen and will never forget!) If you are a drinker....Ivan's Bar is visited by many! It is located inside Catcha! They make tasty drinks and it is a great atmosphere. I can't say enough good about this place and Jamaica.

Room Tip: No matter what you may think, you do need an air conditioner!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Fargo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We've always stayed on the beach so this was our first stay on the west end and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. We chose the Aries suite for the beautiful view of the ocean from the balcony which was spectacular. Stepping out of the bedroom each morning with that type of view really starts the day off right. The staff makes you feel at home as soon as you arrive. Everyone was helpful and friendly and available if you needed something. Thanks Mauvette for getting the One Love Bus to come back to get us so we could do the pub crawl. It was a blast! The food at Ivan's was consistently the best we've had in Negril. Loved it there.

Room Tip: We had no noise problems in Aries. Slept well.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We read up on Catcha Falling Star on TripAdvisor, and had high expectations so naturally I was a bit skeptical to see if it would live up to the hype. All too often, your expectations become too great to be satisfied and you end up a little disappointed. Not so with this place!

The beauty of the property cannot be overstated. It's amazing. Our rooms were excellent and service was on par with everything I've heard. Very friendly and personal. Most remembered our names from the first day.

And the food... wow! We ventured off the resort many times to explore and visit other places, but the best food by far was right there at the resort.

I really enjoyed jumping off the cliffs into the ocean. What a thrill! It's also a perfect place for couples - no kids allowed! :-)

I would definitely stay there again, and highly recommend it to anyone considering a visit to Negril.

Room Tip: If you can, be flexible with your dates so that you can book the Sagittarius cottage. It's the b...
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My boyfriend booked their 100 candles, cliff top dinner experience as a surprise to celebrate my recent 30th birthday. After receiving email confirmation, he called during the afternoon to confirm the booking. All seemed to be in order. When we arrived he left me at the bar (so as not to spoil the surprise) and I could tell that something wasn't right.

There had been a mis-communication between the manager and staff and they couldn't do the evening as planned (private waitress in a secluded area away from the rest of the guests, 100 candles leading down to the table etc). After a lesiurely hour of pre-dinner drinks they had managed to arrange a great dressed table, put candles down, print a special menu. We were located on a cliff (near some other people but not too close). We had a private waitress and a great meal. We were totally happy with how they'd turned it around. To top it off, the entire evening was free in order to apologise. We would definitely recommend for a romantic evening, the staff were lovely.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I keep on coming back to this magical little place on the Cliffs of Negril! The people, the immaculate and comfortable cottages and rooms, the food, the pool and beautiful gardens and of course the views and sunsets are to "die for."

Most of all the staff......every single person from the security to the owner/manager are nothing less than perfect and my heart fills with happiness each time I walk through the gates of Catcha!

Thank you to all my friends at Catcha for making me feel as if I am part of your family......you are the best!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I spent a week in February at this hotel with my wife and 2 18 year old sons. When the boys were younger, we generally stayed at all-inclusives in Jamaica. We felt inclined to choose a hotel and get off property more. We chose Catcha based on the TravelAdvisor rating. The people there were wonderful and it was a nice small property. Our boys never missed the bigger resorts with all the people and activities and they enjoyed the staff at Alvin's. The accommodations were great, although our 2 BR suite only had 1 bathroom which was a bit of an inconvenience. This property was very well kept and the staff was always making us feel comfortable in a very "laid back" fashion. We would definitely go back and see the friends we made at "Catcha". We left at the end of the week and all family members were very pleased with our choice in hotels as they lived up to their #1 ranking.

Room Tip: We had the LEO suite which was the only room left to book. It was a roomy and comfortable 2 BR suite...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!