“A tiny piece of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Idle Awhile Resort
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #4 of 38 Negril B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A tiny piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I live on the other side of the world but I have made my way to this hotel now 5 times. It is placed directly on the beautiful turquoise waters of Negril. The staff and ambience of this place is like nothing I have ever found in the world. Everytime I go there I feel like I'm going home. There are lots of great places to go and eat for dinner in the West end or you can easily stay and eat breakfast and lunch on the beach.
Negril is my most favourite place on the planet to totally detach, unwind and relax on a deck chair in the sunshine, swim, run and reconnect. I always leave feeling lighter and more peaceful and everybody that works there will make you feel like a family member rather than a guest. Just watch out for the mosquitos!

Room Tip: CHoose beach view if you can - definitely worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Harmony, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Okay, we'll start off by stating the staff at Idle A While is not only THE BEST but become your family by the end of the trip. The rooms are immaculate, air-conditioned, have TV, safe box, phones and are more than comfortable no matter what room category you choose. The property is SAFE, private and you can leave anything out in your room and not have to EVER worry about your valuables! There is security 24 hours a day. The food is delicious, fresh and cooked on site. The frozen drinks are the best on the Island (thanks to Sonia, Jenora & Carlton). There is always a driver on site to take you anywhere you want. You could not ask for a more accommodating boutique resort. The only change I would personally make, NO CHILDREN/ADULTS ONLY - and keep the Bar open until midnight.

Room Tip: I have stayed in every room category and they are ALL great! The only noise are the tree frogs and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a friend and I was not disappointed at all! If you are looking for a lot of action this is not the place for you but if you want relaxation with lots of peace and quiet (except at night) this is not the place for you. If you aren't use to loud bugs and animals at night you might be slightly annoyed while trying to sleep, but otherwise its a nice peaceful place.
The staff was awesome! From our driver - Bryan, Nathefa in the front office, Needle, Germaine and Aaron I just can't say enough about how wonderful they were!
Absolutely wonderful place and I have and will recommend my friends to go for a nice relaxing vacation without all of the resort hubbub!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Purcellville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great hotel with professional staff. The deluxe room was beautiful and just a short walk to the restaurant and beach. The staff set up our lounge chairs which doubled as floating loungers for a nice nap on the water. The nights were filled with the sounds of frogs and distant reggae music. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. Otherwise enjoy.

Room Tip: Room 104 was ground level and faced the beach. Loved it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

In the last 13 years my husband and I have traveled the Caribbean extensively, and have made many, many trips to Jamaica... the one place we keep coming back to is Idle Awhile. A friend sent us there about 8 years ago, and I don't think there's been a year where we haven't stopped in at least for a few days... they are that amazing!
I flew in 2 days ahead of my husband to get rested and they took brilliant care of me from the moment I stepped foot on the property. I can't imagine staying anywhere else without him, but Marcia and Aaron (the property security guards) are so welcoming and keep such a good eye on everything its phenominal- and they are friendly too! I got my favorite 'welcome home' from Karim, Marcia (cheerfully!!!) hauled my 4 50 lb bags up two flights of stairs ...Aaron set up a beach chair and umbrella and with a rum punch from Carleton (or Kingsley) (or Sonia) (or Germaine) can't remember who made my first , LOL! I was set for two beautiful days- they all made me comfortable, kept an eye on my stuff (even moving it in for me if I was out walking and a rainstorm hit!), and generally made my life wonderful! The food from the bar and the drinks are fabulous...and the staff is beyond wonderful- there's a reason we keep coming back here and they are it!
The room as always, was clean, attractive, and pretty...the beach was wonderful...and being made so welcome until (and after!!!) my husband arrived is why we literally can't stay away from this place! You can't get a bad room... but skipping staying here would be a huge mistake! Come for the people, the food, the bar and the beach...they've literally got it all in one perfectly sized hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hawthorne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed at Idle Awhile last week and had a wonderful time. From the staff (Karim, Jenorah, Needle, Germaine, Aaron, Sonya, and anyone else I may have missed) who were so accomodating, the grounds that were well taken care of every day, and one of the best sections of 7 mile beach in Negril, our stay was nothing short of amazing.

Our room (104) on the first floor was very spacious, had an A/C that worked perfectly, and a view of the beach that was just a short walk down the main pathway (I personally feel like having a room on the first floor was best since you literally had to walk down two steps and you were in the sand). There was plenty of closet space too. The only downside was the bathroom. It's not completely separate from the rest of the room (the walls don't go straight to the ceiling) and there's no separation between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. We had to roll up the bath mat to create a barrier on the floor so the water didn't run everywhere and then had to lay a towel down to have a dry place to stand. There wasn't much circulation in the bathroom either making it tough to dry towels, clothes, etc. We used several of the other hangers throughout the rest of the room, which worked fine. There are no glass windows in the room, just screens with wooden slats you can adjust, so the noise from the tree frogs can be a bit much at night, but I never found it to be a big problem.

The food & drinks were great and the staff at Chill Awhile (restaurant cafe/restaurant on-site) were very welcoming. Our food always arrived within 10-15 minutes of ordering and anything extra that we asked for was taken care of immediately. Thank you to Needle, Jenorah, Sonya & Germaine for being so fun!

The beach was perfect everyday and Aaron always had our chairs & umbrella set up for us before we got there. I think this might be one of the few locations along 7 mile beach that has the most area of swimming. Our beach chairs doubled as rafts and everyday we were greeted from anywhere between 3 and 10 stingrays or tropical fish that would swim right alongside you. There was complimentary suntan lotion available on the beach and plenty of toys for kids to play with too. Only downside were the "locals" constantly coming up asking if you wanted to buy fruit, go jet-skiing, parasailing, etc. However, the hotel was very good about keeping it to a minimum when they could and making sure no one overstayed their welcome. The staff would even bring any food/drinks out to the beach if you asked.

Aside from the bathroom, noise from the tree frogs, and "locals" on the beach, the only other downside were the sugar ants in the room. They're tiny little ants that will find any and every piece of food, lotion, etc. that smells sweet. They were in the bathroom and along the side of the bed, but once we got rid of some food we had in the garbage it was much better.

All in all, this hotel was everything and more that we were looking for. It was quiet, friendly, and in a great location in Negril. The restaurants nearby were top-notch and the hotel always assisted us with any transportation needs we had as well. Any water activities you are interested in, talk to Aaron -- he'll make a call and they will meet you right at the beach to pick you up!

Fabulous trip that I wish never ended! Evne during the rainy season, this hotel still exceeded our expectations. I would recommend Idle Awhile to anyone, anytime.

Room Tip: Stay in room 104 if you want easy access to the beach with a great view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I searched tirelessly for a ocean front hotel along the boulevard for a place to stay during the 1st week of August for the Smirnoff Dream Week event. I came across Idle Awhile and I am so glad that I did. The pictures do not do it justice. The ocean front room was light and airy with high ceilings, the fan and perfectly fucntioning AC made it easy to adjust the temperature. The beach was visible and a short walk from the rooms, however there are many palm trees in and around the property to create that secluded feel which was nice. The reataurant service was great and I enjoyed being able to eat breakfast and dinner on our private balcony. It was never too much to ask the staff for help with anything they would always try to assist and were extremely friendly. This was the perfect place to recouperate each day after the constant partying we were doing, the complementary water bottle and mineral fountain also came in handy. I will certainly be returning!

My only problem whilst staying here was that the safe seemed have a mind of it's own and 1 night we had to call security to open it, this problem was solved very promptly.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Idle Awhile Resort? Share your experiences!