“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 90 Hotels in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year april 2012, rooms are reasonable, funiture not the greatest but the rooms are clean and they have everything you need. We was all inclusive the food was buffet style very very nice and lots to choose from. There are 2 other merrils hotels, i was told b the staff we could go and use there pool and eat from there buffet if you wanted to which was handy. The staff are friendly even made me a sandwich and tea at 10pm because i was ill at dinner time and didnt eat. The best part about this place is the seven mile beach beautiful... such a lovely place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Negril' s bay is the most beautiful beach I have ever been to!!! I enjoyed my stay in Merril's I, the rooms are great: small chalet close to the seaside. The food and drinks were average, but I loved the staff and cleanliness and in particular the location. The water in the Carribean sea in November seems like a warmed up swimming pool. Peace and relax garantee

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the 5th or 6th time I have stayed at Merrils I and each stay has been wonderful. The service is great, the food is great, the rooms are great. The beach is the best anywhere. The water in the Carribean sea in July is just the right temperature for swimming or just hanging out with your friends. I have stayed at many resorts in Negril and to me Merrils is the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Sitting on one of the best beaches and add to that, excellent service adds up to value for money at Merrils
The food and drinks were average but the staff were great, the location excellent and for the rates we paid it was unbeatable and we had a fabulous time and will be sure to return this year.

Room Tip: Beachfront and Ocean view are true to their word!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Detmold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

12 years straight must mean something right??? Although every vacation review is personal, I cannot understand the negative comments about the hotel or the food. The authors cannot, just cannot have been there at the same time as us..... Remember , this is a 3 star property in a third world country, but I tell you, it provides 5 star service with a smile. Some complaints were related to menu repetition... of course, over the length of stay, some meal contents are repeated, but apart from pork, beef, lamb, goat, and chicken, what other meat is there??? The meat is most often cooked in an alternative way, and served as a different dish. Even if these complainants were somehow to have the opportunity to eat a-la-carte, their meals would have the same degree of repetition during their stay. For vegetarians, there is always a fish dish to choose from. Anyway, always looking to improve, the management have engaged a new Executive Chef.............. WINNER !!!!! A totally professional man, with a wealth of multinational resort experience, he has taken the food to another level. The menu for New Years Eve was out of this world.... ever had suckling pig in Jamaica??? we did... The rooms as ever are clean and tidy. Housekeeping is the hardest job of all, and the girls do a tremendous job, and after all, time actually spent in them is minimal. Your main room is the beach !!! The staff are always happy to see you. First timer or repeater, no problem. You don't have to tip to get good service, but good service can be appreciated can't it? I could go on and on about the wonderful beach, the interaction with the locals (if you're not interested in their product, just say no thank you, it's easy....), the beautiful sights on the island etc. but then our review would just be the same as everyone else's. if you want to know more, just try it for yourselves. The hotel has a large number of repeat guests, and that speaks for itself. We wouldn't waste our hard-earned money going back every year if it wasn't good now would we? ........ see you on the beach !!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Savona, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Merrill'sI is just on Negril Beach in a strategic location, close to Alfred's bar and restaurant and Times Square mall. Nevertheless it's very relaxing and safe. The all inclusive formula allows to sip your favorite drinks lying on your sunbed in the magnificent scenario of Negril beach. The rooms are basic but comfortable. The staff is always smiling and very helpful. The food could be better but it's in Jamaican standards. You can eat and drink indifferently at the others Merrill's (1 and 2) in a two minute walking. Wifi free in the reception area.
good choice for relaxing with family, friends or in couple. Children are welcome but there are no facilities for them. Bar closes at 10 p.m. and, in my opinion, this is a positive point to come here next time in Negril.

Room Tip: Better rooms with sea view and far from the noisy main street on the rear.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Camborne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

How the heck do you rate the experience: it was amazing and it was awful. I was there in December 2012 and was robbed in my bedroom while I was asleep on my last night (and I didn't hear a thing!). They even found the safe key and ransacked that! Thankfully I wasn't harmed: and talking to locals afterwards its not uncommon here: hardly surprising having met some of the characters circling these resorts on Negril beach: although if other Jamaicans
I spoke to afterwards are right the robbery had all the hallmarks of an inside job....

All I know is that I didn't find the staff very sympathetic and they tried to charge me for the door key going missing in the aftermath of the robbery !!! .I was left feeling like the robbery was my fault (I must have had 'guests back' or left my door unlocked) 4 months later I still haven't a proper police statement and update on the investigation as promised: but I do have a hastily put together 'summary' of the robbery - for all the good its done me. Something like this inevitably deeply scars and colours your memory of the holiday: I still haven't looked at the photos...

But the plus side is that many people seem to have had a great time here: and I can understand why: up until the last night this review would have been a 4-5 star review. The staff had been very helpful and friendly, the food and drink great and overall its such great value for money. Its a beautifully laid out resort: stunning in fact, and the rooms are lovely, The beach is beautiful (although I did prefer beaches I found in Barbados !).
The beach life is absolutely intriguing: it's fascinating to see the locals interacting with the tourists: or those that are 'allowed' to get near ..... and up until the robbery despite the dodgier characters around I had relaxed into feeling 100% safe, the security looked to be doing a good job..... silly me!

Do you go to Merrils? If you want an amazingly cheap all-inclusive Caribbean holiday in a stunning resort that verges on luxury in many respects set on a beautiful beach with friendly staff and good food then yes BUT beware, especially if like me you are on your own: make sure your room has a chain-type lock that you know how to use (despite management afterwards insisting every room had one I was never shown mine and didn't see anything I recognised as one...just a stumpy something that I though was the remnants of some old lock: I just used the main key-lock).

Management did offer me 3 nights there as compensation which in many respects is generous but that doesn't pay the airfare from the UK: this was a once in a decade holiday for my income/budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Merrils Beach Resort I? Share your experiences!