“Another Great Vacation in Negril” 4 of 5 stars

Merrils Beach Resort I
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #64 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Republic, Missouri
“Another Great Vacation in Negril”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed at Merrils I, 11/24/2011 for 11 nights. We had a great time. We had stayed at Merrils II in 2008, so we knew what to expect of the Merrils resorts. The buffets were really good fresh food served 3 meals a day. This time we were glad to see they had added jerk chicken, curried goat and callaloo to the menu. There was plenty variety such as fish, chicken, curried goat, beef, pork, pastas, soup, salad bar, bread and fruit. The breakfast buffet is good too and if you wanted a fresh egg or omelet they would make it up fresh for you.

We had a group of 9 of us this year, with 3 of the group staying at Merrils II. It was nice that we could all meet up at any of the 3 Merrils and hang out together.

Our rooms were cleaned every day and the housekeepers do a great job. The gardens were well kept and the view from our balcony was very nice.

We enjoyed all of the staff. They were always pleasant and let us know they were glad we were there. We especially enjoyed Anthony the security guard who instructed us on how to play Jamaican Dominoes. The security guards do a great job watching out for those of us staying at the Merrils Resorts. We played in the surf and sit on the beach at night with no problems.

We would stay at Merrils Resorts again, but would stay at Merrils II next time, due to the fact the rooms are bigger and it is a quieter location than Merrils I. Merrils I is closer to Alfreds, which plays music loud til about 2 a.m. on at least 3 nights a week and if you sleep with the windows open (which we do), you might have difficulty sleeping. We enjoyed hearing the reggae music, but after 1 a.m. would have liked some quiet. This was our 10th visit to Negril and if you are looking for a budget all iinclusive, you can't beat Merrils Resorts.

Room Tip: For a romantic dinner head to the Rockhouse on the cliffs. Enjoy a snack from the beach vendors, ie...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
auburn newyork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I go to jamaica frequently and a must is to go to the resort absolutey just love the people and the place, would have stayed there again but i waited too long to make reservations so it will be the grande pineaple this time. 5star class with a reasonable price must luv merrils

Room Tip: priced just right, one of the best. ya have to have the all inclusive if you go. dont fall for the p...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The beaches by Merrils 1 are soo beautiful, this was our 2nd trip to Negril in about 4 years. let me just say that this time around it was awesome, there has been many changes, and changes for the better, we loved the jamaican food the jerk chicken..we loved the buffet style,,the staff treated you like family .....I knew it was going to be a great experience when I booked my stay........my husband and I cannot wait to return - we already booked for Spring break -- we had such a great time :)

Room Tip: If you are staying at Merrils 1 - see if there are any ocean fronts - sometimes they have them avail...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Spent some wonderful days just lying on the beach resting. The resort is perfect for this, a balcony to sit out on in the shady tropical garden and a wonderful beach. Plenty of rum drinks and great variety of fresh fruit and vegs. Being a lady on my own I was a bit wary, but the resort is very secure and the staff were very kind and made sure I was always ok.

Room Tip: Book with plenty of time in high season
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
ST LOUIS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

The section of Negril was great, the beach was beautiful. Security did an outstanding job fending off the "beach vendors". Food was ok, had a lot of repeat and not a lot of selection, but was good. The bar was less than expected though, bartenders were NOT friendly and weren't always there, very little selection. Odd that they had no fresh fruit and no matter what you ordered, it all tastes pretty much the same. Our room was nice and spacious, they gave an upgrade. But if you looking for quiet Merrils I is not your place. Alfreds had bands 3 times a week and it was very loud until about 1 am. It was nice that you could go to Merrils II and have a change. All in all for what we paid it was a good vacation and I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Just returned from a week in Merrils 1 and although we had a great time there were a few disappointments with this hotel, rooms were spacious and clean, depending on time of shower you might have hot water. Staff friendly. Food was good but definitely not varied, ok you had fresh fruit and a salad bar that never really changed. Every day was pasta, one choice of potato, e.g. either boiled or chips but never both, usually one choice of meat - fish or chicken, never both. When it was curried goat you got a choice of a second meat. It did advertise bbq chicken one night but don't know where they hid it. The bar closed at 10pm and although the location is hard to beat - right on the beach, some entertainment would have been nice, even a themed night!! The hotel does have an excellent location, right on a beautiful stretch of 7 mile beach and also within walking distance of negril.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was looking for a reasonably place for my mom and I and after reading reviews for several resorts, Merrils Beach Resort I had the most positive ones. Upon booking, I went through LLC group out of Miami and did everything via email. Valarie and Diana were great and accommodating. The receptionist at Merrils I was friendly so I knew we were going to have a great stay. The room faced the garden and we can see the dinning from our balcony. There was a full and twin size bed, television, clean bathroom, and deceit towels. The only complaint in regards to the room is that it took about five minutes for the water to heat up. The bartenders were great as well, I suggest asking Ryan and John for their signature drinks. Finally, the food was good up until the last day. My mom and I decided that we've had enough and went to a restaurant on the street. Also visit the other Merrils during lunch since their menus varied. Security was AWESOME, especially on the beach when you don't want to be asked by the locals if we want to purchase something. We will stay here again in the summer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Merrils Beach Resort I? Share your experiences!