“Unforgettably brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Negril
New York City, New York
“Unforgettably brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at Chippewa village with a few friends for nearly two weeks, the most amazing two weeks ever! The resort gives a really private relaxed vibe, the ideal spot to just get away from it all, rooms were clean and well looked after, the owner john and his lovely dogs will take such good care of you, making fresh bread and giving you all the advise you'll ever need about negril, I felt safe and relaxed my entire trip, I feel I do need to note that there isn't a restaurant at the resort, so get down to the shop and get some homemade Jamaican cooking done in the spacious kitchens provided. I will never forget my time at this wonderful place and have no doubt that I will return many times in the future

• Stayed October 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have been there twice. It is one of my most favorite places in the world. It is rustic, private, quiet, and charming. Does it need work? Yes. Are there big loud dogs? Yes. Is John an interesting character who does not look like he should be running a hotel? Yes.
But these are the things that make this place amazing!
If you are looking for a prestine typical hotel experience, do not go there. If you are looking for a unique, relaxing, casual place to lose yourself for a few days then do yourself the favor and stay here!
My favorite part of the experience was each day the groundskeeper cut open coconuts for us and we had fresh juice each day. You can't get that at your typical hotel.

Room Tip: I suggest buying water and snacks. There is a jerk chicken shack next door that is AMAZING!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The place is a dump, i'm sorry to say this. You can tell that it used to be a great place, but it hasn't been maintained for years.

Nearly no water
Toilet couldn't flush more than twice a day
Holes in the wall
The pool was a mess
No gardening done for a very long time
And the restaurant wasn't even there

We left after 2 nights and couldn't get a refund. We went across the street to a much nicer hotel for the same price, where there were both a restaurant and beach access

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jeremiah, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks from Dec 28th through Jan 11th. Like most travelers, I read as much as I can on places before I book. I read the reviews on Chippewa, and it seemed like 50/50, with the negative aspects being geared mostly towards the dogs, not the place itself. Being a dog person by nature, I really didn't get spooked by the past reviews of dog incidents, and I'm glad I didn't. Before I even got there, for about 2-3 weeks before arrival, I had emailed with the owner, John, about particular needs, such as room details and amenities, stay details and general tips. I always got a quick reply, and anything I asked for, if it wasn't already available, he made it that way. I arrived on Friday, right after a downpour, and get welcomed by two large dogs. Both are barking, but wagging their tail. I got out of the car completely unfazed by either dog, whom I later discovered were named Princess and Rocky -- Rocky being Princesss's dad. Both of these dogs, especially Princess, were the sweetest dogs, I can't imagine how anyone would have a bad encounter with these jewels. Princess would sleep outside my door almost every night, and would never attempt to come inside, even if you tried to get her to. OK, so dog issue is a non-issue; probably even a plus -- I had companionship plus doggie security!

John had placed me in a Studio when I booked, but offered the penthouse at a great price when there, and upgraded me. It was a much better lodging, although the studio was nice too. One of the questions I had in the pre-trip emails was the availability of UK basketball game that was on during my trip. That particular channel wasn't available, but John could get it, and invited me to watch with him, which I did (Cats lost :( -- John and Nadine, housekeeper extraordinaire, cooked pizza for me twice, and it was great -- free too! Nadine makes a dough that you put in a cast-iron skillet and get it warmed up and then put the sauce and toppings on -- much better than Chances or Ciao. John also know a damn good local butcher that he got us some beef filets and cooked them to perfection -- again, all FREE! I think I provided some sides that I brought down for the steak meal, that John cooked. Really good meal, plus the feeling of somehow being "at home" having a meal; priceless! John also fed me some other meals, again for free, and would have probably ate with me every day if I wanted. Again, I felt like I was at home.

The Penthouse is very nice. The walkway and platform into the Morass is one-of-a-kind. If you wanted to tan all over, you know, and was bashfull, this would be the perfect place. You're in the middle of no where, with the beach on one side --- miles away, and grass between you and the mountains -- a few birds flying around -- and a couple of decks to lay around on - very cool -- Rocky, the dog, will even escort you out. A must do -- 10 or so trips to Negril, and this was a first -- I would like to be out there during a meteor shower!

Room Tip: Penthouse is great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I just returned from 9 days at Chippewa and loved every minute of it. It was exactly what I was looking for. I travel to Jamaica often and like to stay in a place that is close enough to everything yet is still peaceful and quiet. I stayed in a cottage and it suited my needs just fine. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and it even had a nice screened in porch with a little breakfast bar/sink. If you bring a hotplate you can cook full meals out there! It was awesome! I could even pick up a WiFi signal there!

The owner John was a delight. I felt like I had my own little vacation home. He was available if you needed anything and was more than helpful. But you still feel like you have plenty of privacy.

The dogs are real sweethearts once they know you. The one will even roll over for you to rub her belly. She was very cute. They are friendly and they don't beg. They are there to protect the place and that is what they do.

If you have the proper expectations you will love Chippewa Village. If you want Full service Ritz Carlton type of accommodations, then keep looking....If you want good priced clean accommodations with a unique flair then Chippewa will be perfect for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Very good place to stay. We spent just one night in a very characteristic loft, awasome with amazing views from the private terrace.
All the rooms are away from noise
If you are looking cheap and pretty please, choose Mr John!

• Stayed August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Turns out this is the ONLY place we'll stay in Jamaica, John always makes us feel so at home, super funky place with lots of character right across from the beach. You must be a dog person and will get rewarded with lots of canine love back if you connect with the three beautiful dogs, easy to do if you love dogs in the first place. I miss the dogs, I miss John and my Jamaica sweet spot. Thanks John and wonderfull trustworthy staff, see you as soon as I get some money together! Julia and Vivo.

Room Tip: theres a pool with a pull up bar! and tons of privacy. and three good dogs, did I mention the dogs?
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple