“A lovely spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Dublin, Ireland
“A lovely spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I spent a little under a week at Villa La Cage. It is a fine place to stay. Clean and secure. The owner Mr Bell is a gentleman who will ensure that you have an enjoyable stay. The location on the West End is great for getting around. The price is very reasonable. All round a lovely spot indeed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We returned again this year to the Villa la Cage, Negril, Jamaica for our 6 week Winter Getaway. Most of the rooms can be air conditioned.
. The proprietor is Mr Arreton Bell, the Head Housekeeper/ Day Manager, Janet Brown and the Chef is Pauline. There are around 26 rooms, 4 with a small kitchen. There is also a restaurant and large pool. All of the staff including the 24 hour security people and grounds men are very friendly and ready to assist you in any way they can. Security handles late night check ins as well as patrolling the grounds. Janet or Pauline will do your laundry but a reasonable tip should be given. Janet makes sure the day to day operation of the Villa runs smoothly and both her and Pauline are very nice young women. Pauline will cook a delicious meal of your choice; just give her a few hours notice if you want something special so she can procure the ingredients.
Mr Bell is a very social gentleman and frequently takes the guests on errands or to the beach. He even took our group of three out to a Jerk Pork lunch at Ragabones. He will chat it up with the guests and keep you laughing and informed on the coming and goings in the Negril area.
There are a variety of rstaurants nearby that cater to foreign guests as well as serving authentic Jamaican cuisine. My favorite is a restaurant called the The Swordfish which has a variety of Jamaican and American/Canadian cuisine. Other restaurants close to the Villa are Peewees, Bently' Crab House, Mi Yard, Chicken Lavish, Jenny's
(authentic Jamaican cuisine), numerous small restaurants, jerk carts, and loads of rum bars. The Rockhouse, Xtabi and The Blue Cave Castle offer superberb high end cuisine. My wife, I and and old friend had a fantastic meal of a variety of seafood dishes for her annual Birthday Party in Jamaica at The Blue Cave Castle cooked by Chef Teddy.. The Swordfish Bar and Grill provided a delicious and huge carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. A young lady by the name of Marsha (aka Ann Marie) owns and operates a hair salon that caters to men and women as well as locals and tourists. She is excellent and will also keep you entertained. Nearby is Pams Fruit, Vegetable and Craft shop that has been there for 26 years.

Room Tip: The cement rooms will keep you cooler than the wooden structurs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

A few years back, I spent almost one month with Mr Bell and his staff. I was a single lobster fisherman from maine, that had just gone thru a divorce. I made many friends while in Jamaica, return as often as possible, and still keep contact with most. Mr Bell introduced me to many people, helped me with local bank account setup, hardware stores mgrs . I was gone for many hours each day, sometimes sev. days, helping build a home. I never locked my room, never lost anything, Im not saying something can not happen anytime any where, but character assanation of Mr. Bell is just plain FALSE. La Cage is a friendly inexpensive, hotel that offers true jamaician hospitality....right down to the housekeepers. I have never written a review of any kind, was dreaming of a return trip to negril, and saw the bad review on Mr, Bell and his place, and could not stand it!!! La Cage is not the Hilton, but buck for buck unbeatable. When the price of lobsters returns to normal I will be back, until then God bless you Mr. Bell and your staff

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at Villa La Cage for 5 nights from the 9th to the 15th of February with my girlfriend and we both really enjoyed our time spent here.

Booking was very straightforward, I dealt with Arreton (Mr Bell, the owner) by email, confirming our booking prior to our arrival and we were set. When in Jamaica, I called to change dates and add an extra night and he was totally accommodating. We saw Arreton every day during our stay and he is a genuine, helpful and funny guy who helped us out with rides to the beach and back to the airport on our last day. The two ladies who run the place, Pauline and Janet, are also lovely and saw to our needs throughout.

The room itself was great, like a treehouse to my mind, but a lot more comfortable - we had a fan, fridge, cable, an en suite bathroom and a comfortable bed. There was also a safe so we had no issues about security whatsoever. The place was clean and the facilities very good. For $35 a night we were genuinely happy. The location of Villa La Cage is about 20 minutes walk from the roundabout (and a further 5 to the beach) and around 30 minutes along West End Road in the other direction to some of the livelier spots in Negril - so ideal for us. Furthermore, some of Negril's best restaurants are located in the West End, and we never had a bad meal in town while were there.

A red plate route taxi ($100 JA per passenger) will take you to any location in the West End (or to the roundabout) for those not into walking - if you choose to do so at night, you might wish to carry a torch as some stretches of the road can be very dark after sundown, or strap a lamp to your head if you don't follow fashion - we saw several groups from the resorts dressed like coalminers most evenings!

To add a quick aside, I read all the reviews added by other Tripadvisor members before choosing Villa La Cage. I find it ridiculous that a clearly disgruntled member chooses to blame Villa La Cage for their own failings. My girlfriend and I had no worries at all about security - first of all there is a guard on duty for most of the day and throughout the entire night - secondly each room has a secure safe, with Villa La Cage supplying a receipt of its contents to all guests who choose to use one - insurance is also underwritten by the safe company for up to $100,000 JA. Additionally, there is no way that someone could break into any of the rooms undetected - the layout of the place and the 24 hour presence of several staff would make this a near impossibility. As the lady who left the bitter review in question didn't use the safe, it really is her own fault that one of her invited guests robbed her - the hotel can't have been to blame and clearly this was no break in. How can a hotel feasibly stay in business for over 25 years if it has an unsafe reputation? The amount of locals who stay there regularly says it all, it is totally safe, and my own experience confirmed that.

Big up Arreton and the whole Villa La Cage family. I recommend staying here unreservedly, it is safe, comfortable and very good value.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quieter than those near the front of the resort. The 'treehouse...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have stayed at Villa' a total of 14 weeks over the past 7 years. I keep returning for the authenticity of a Jamaican Inn that is run only by Jamaicans. Staff may turn over but the ownership remains. I know what to expect every time I visit. The rooms are simple but the rates are friendly. A small kitchen puts out only authentic Jamaican food and an equally small bar can really rock with the locals and guests.

David Krzyston

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor North have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just returned from Negril where I spent two weeks at Villa la Cage. I have no complaints. It is a budget accommodation that is run by a nice family. The location is good and I felt safe there. The person who wrote the negative review below may have had a bad experience, but it is not the fault of Villa la Cage owner. I was not there when this event apparently happened, but I confirmed from talking to other locals, and from talking to Mr Bell himself, that he and his family are good people. The negative review below should be weighed lightly against all the positve reviews from other travellers. By the way, lots of places I have stayed in Jamaica, in the budget range, do not ask for identification and documents. It is a less formal, and actually a trusting way of doing business that many of us foriengers are not use to. Go to Villa la Cage with a good intentions, reasonable expectations, and enjoy yourself!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I just spent a week at the Villa La Cage and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The proprietor Mr. Arreton Bell patiently awaited my delayed flight and picked me up at the airport in MB. This was my first visit to Jamaica, a decision made on the spur of the moment, so I found myself in unfamiliar territory. Mr. Bell and his staff instantly made me comfortable, answering my questions about the area and culture plus giving me valuable safety tips and advice about local customs and attractions. As others have mentioned, this is a family operated hotel, and you are treated like family from the moment you arrive.

I took one of the deluxe rooms with AC, TV, small refrigerator, valuables safe, and a comfortable bed. Wifi is available in the dining/bar area, so I made it a habit to check my mail, FB, etc. in the mornings over a nice breakfast and coffee. I often ate dinner there as well; the meals served at the Villa are great, both Pauline and Janice are excellent cooks. Special requests are no problem. They also have a nice pool and small bar.

I toured the Negril region first on a motor scooter, then on a dirt bike rented from Gas rental right up the street. Negril must have gone on a pothole repair mission because most of the roads in town were in fairly good shape. Further outside of town the roads are rougher but still drivable. Driving in Negril is not for the faint of heart -- you should always ride cautiously, and stay as far left as possible. Don’t hesitate to blow your horn, no one takes offense. The trickiest navigation is the roundabout in the middle of town.

After riding up the 7-mile beach for a swim or exploring the neighborhoods or cruising in sugarcane country, I usually stopped a the Canoe just down the road from the Villa for a cold Red Stripe. Nice place with good food and friendly staff and customers, plus they have wifi. Returning to the Villa, I always joined Mr. Bell and fellow guests and friends for light hearted conversation and a cold beer out on the ‘patio.’ Here I learned a treasure trove about Negril and Jamaica plus tuned into local gossip.

I’m on a plane returning to Tennessee, but if the pilot decided to turn around, it would be great to get back to the Villa.

Room Tip: They have a variety of rooms, some with kitchenettes. I chose a deluxe room without kitchenette.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Villa La Cage? Share your experiences!