“Best excursion in Jamaica!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 62 things to do in Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Off shore fishing. 1/2, 3/4 And Full day Charters. 1/2 Day charter sharing available. Scuba Diving including PADI certification. Sunset Cruises. Snorkeling and Glass bottom boat trips.
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Best excursion in Jamaica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We went to Jamaica in May 2012 for my wedding. This was supposed to be the "guys trip" but some bailed due to hangovers... so me and 2 other girls went to fill the boat.. and I'm so glad because this was the experience of a lifetime! We caught 12 skipjack tuna and 1 barracuda. Stanley and his First Mate were a lot of fun and definitely made the experience. I would recommend Stanley's Fishing to anyone visiting Jamaica. I am not a fishing person, and fully expected to hang out with the girls and suntan.. but we ended up getting right in there and having an absolute blast. What an experience!

Visited May 2012

Jacksonville, Florida
“We hooked up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The measure of a fishing boat is in the catching and in the captain and crew. For the price I could not have asked for a better experience. Captain know how to find the Mahi, and we ate well off the 3 beautiful Mahi we caught.

Visited May 2012
annapolis,md
6 attraction reviews
“Boy's adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The guys in our group all went out with Stanley and really had a great time! Stanley is VERY professional in how he handles his boat and his passengers! He knows the waters and the best places to go for the best catch!

Visited April 2012
Negril, Jamaica
14 attraction reviews
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My sister took me on this treat and let me tell you, it was the best fun i had in a long time.

Visited January 2012
Rhode Island
34 attraction reviews
“Stanley’s Deep Sea Fishing - WOW!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was a great fishing trip!!! Everything was fantastic; from contacting Stanley’s, payment, transportation and the crew, all was just a pleasant experience.

I have been on several deep sea sport fishing excursions in the Caribbean (from Mexico to Dominican Republic) so I have some experience with different charters and what to expect. This time I was looking to plan a trip to introduce my youngest son (11 yrs) to this type of fishing. This was to be a surprise for him when we arrived in Jamaica and Stanley’s did not disappoint in making this one heck of a special day for me, my son, and my wife. Contacting Stanley’s about the charter was very easy and all correspondence was via e-mail with Liz (Stanley’s wife). She was very prompt to return all correspondence and answer all of my many questions within hours. Everything was taken care of by Liz once the deposit was made and I really did not have to do anything else other than show up in the lobby of our resort at the designated time (6:30am). Deposit is taken via PayPal and the remainder is cash only.

The day of our trip, Liz, had previously arranged for a taxi to pick us up. The driver (Mack) was on time and actually early and waiting for us in the lobby. This was a surprise, because Jamaican time typically runs at least 15-minutes late for everything. Mack was super friendly and easy to talk to as we had about a 30-minute drive to Negril from Lucia where we were staying. Paul was our driver back to the resort after the trip and was just as friendly and made the 30-minute ride back to the resort fun. Liz met us right at the beach gate and escorted us right to the dingy that would take us to our boat, introducing us to the crew.

We had chartered the Changing Winds, which is the smaller of the two charter boats, but perfectly fine for our party of 3. Our Captain was Cortney and the First Mate was Jack, or as the Captain called him, the “real” Jack Sparrow. Jack has been with Stanley’s for about 8-years and Cortney a bit less, so both are very experienced. Jack has been fishing the area his entire life. After a quick on deck briefing and boat safety talk we were underway and on the fish within minutes!!! I cannot say how awesome our first mate Jack was!! He was beyond helpful, quick on his feet and all about ensuring everyone was happy and had a chance to reel in a fish. I really liked his professionalism, respectfulness and courtesy towards my son and wife. His first thinking with our first hit was to get my son in the chair to bring in our first catch. He was then quick to offer the next to my wife. It was a flurry of rods and reels in a few minutes as we had 3 fish on right away. Jack was amazing as he whirled around the deck, but remaining calm and keeping us all calm as we brought in the catch. There was no rush to reel in the fish and Jack was great at helping my son and my wife in reeling and working the gear. We had a fourth fish hit and even the captain was down on deck to help and get the rod belt around my waist.

We were able to get 6 tuna (Skipjack) in the boat and lost a couple on the line. We also pulled in a nice sized Mahi-Mahi that put up a hell of a fight. I only wish we had a grill or kitchen where we were staying to have cooked a bit of the Mahi-Mahi up, but instead we were more than happy to give our catch to the crew who were both very thankful.

We opted to take the 4-hour morning ½ day charter. This was perfect as the fish usually hit in the morning or late afternoons when the bait balls are more active. We had fish biting right up until the last half hour of the trip. On top of this we saw a pod of bottle noise dolphins swimming in the boats wake with a little calf. Captain Cortney also spotted a HUGE sea turtle that was swimming past and got us a great look at him. Just all in all a great time and great experience with Stanley’s Deep Sea Fishing.

I would have given this a 5 out of 5, but there is a little bit of improvement that could be done (very little). One being the fishing equipment. Stanley’s does run professional Penn reels, but they are a cheaper style and do not have the automatic level wind to lay the line back on the spool without having the guide with your finger as you reel. This does make it a bit more challenging, especially if you are not used to this or not experienced with sport fishing. However, in comes Jack again, as he basically took charge and helped with the spooling as we all concentrated on reeling in the fish!! Jack, you are the best!!

Another area I was a bit disappointed in was the lack of opportunity for buying a souvenir T-shirt or cap. Not a big deal, but would have been a great reminder of a great trip and Stanley’s web site does have some great selections available. The crew was not very familiar with what, if anything was available and we were shuffled to the waiting taxi so quick I had to inquire via e-mail. This is when I found that they did not have any shirts in stock and were potentially between vendors. It being the end of their season, Liz was not sure when she would e reordering shirts. She however was very gracious and apologetic that these were not available and did advise she would contact me once they came in. If the rest of the trip can attest I have no doubt Liz will be in touch so we can purchase a few that they offer.

SUGGESTIONS
If staying outside of Negril there is a charge for the Taxi. We were in Lucia at the Grand Palladium and it was $60 round trip for 3 people. This is an average price for this trip; typically $12 per person one way to Negril by taxi.

Sun block and a hat!! Yes, you will need it.

Beer and soda is provided, you should bring a bottle of water for yourself as there was no bottled water.

DON’T FORGET TO TIP!!! Yes, a charter is expensive to begin with, but the crew is working for you! They are not seeing a lot of the money that you pay for the charter and tipping for good service is just a courtesy. $20 per crew member for a half day charter would be my suggestion, if you are with no more that 2 – 3 people. If you feel you paid enough just for the charter and shouldn’t have to tip, my suggestion would be DON’T book the charter. You are paying for an experience and for a good crew. If this is a problem for you there are plenty of cheap long boats that you can rent for fishing, just remember you get what you pay for.

I would suggest booking a private charter whenever possible and keeping your group to no more than 3 people fishing. Deep sea fishing charters are not cheap and you are typically booking for one day and only a few hours. Many times you are lucky to get 3 or 4 hits in a trip and if you have a large group not everyone is likely to get a chance to bring in a fish. Keeping your group small helps to increase your odds of actually fishing.

Also, remember it is fishing! The crew does what it can, but they can’t make the fish bite or jump in the boat. I have been on other trips were we just didn’t catch anything, but we still had a great time. It is what you make of it, so go into the trip without expectation other than having fun on the ocean and you will enjoy the experience that much more.

If ever in Jamaica again I will absolutely be booking with Stanley's, without a doubt!!!

Visited April 2012