“Great Time at Riu with a large wedding group of 85” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

You added ClubHotel Riu Negril to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Negril
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bloody Bay Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SPRING DEALS
Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
new york city
“Great Time at Riu with a large wedding group of 85”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I was SO nervous before going here after reading all the reviews. In fact, I was freaking out! I couldn't believe what I was reading and it made me crazy. Especially since my husband and I decided to have our destination wedding in Negril and bring 85 of our closest family and friends with us. The hardest part about the planning was trying to find a place for everyone to stay that would please everyone. While our wedding ceremony and reception were at Negril Escape (a beautiful cliff side spot in Negril), we decided that staying at a big resort would suit our large group best since we had all ages from 7 months to 94 years old.

When planning our destination wedding we wanted as many people to come with us as possible. We needed something nice, but also affordable and that allowed children. I'm not a big fan of large all-inclusive resorts myself, I prefer something smaller and boutique, that embraces the local culture...otherwise why travel? But for this trip I knew I needed a big all-inclusive to best suit our needs.

Listen - Riu is not bad. Why all the harsh remarks on here? As you pull in, the lobby is clean, spacious, and very pretty. Opens to a beautiful fountain and a view to the pools and beach. There's palm trees and well manicured pathways, and many nice areas to sit and relax all over the place. The Staff are so friendly and greet you with big smiles and check you in right away. Someone whisks your bag to your room and honestly I had such a fabulous time with my group that I didn't want to leave. I stayed in a Jr. Suite and it was perfect for us. Huge bathroom, great water pressure in the shower, his and hers sinks...big comfy bed, A/C worked great, nice living room area. And our maid was brilliant - we hugged when we checked out. :-)

The food was fine - much better than I expected. Always something to be found that was good. Drinks aren't that strong...just ask them for an extra shot - its no problem at all.

Everyone in my group had a fabulous time. It was so fun to walk the resort and constantly bump into someone we knew. We hung by the bars, chilled in the pools, ate leisurely meals in the buffet, walked the beach, (definitely go for the lobster man on the beach - yummy!) and enjoyed our time at Riu very much.

We also left the resort to take a really fun Wild Thing catamaran sunset cruise, another trip to Seven Mile beach and Margaretville, and also Rick's Cafe...not to mention the wedding at Negril Escape - so we were fairly active. I just love Negril, such a great place.

I used to work as a Cruise Hostess on a 5 star Ocean Liner - and I’ve literally been around the world and I've done quite a bit of travel. For those that complain on here about Riu and what a dump it is...how much are you spending? Really, if you want 5 star - well then you have to throw down the money. Let's be real. My husband and I went to The Caves after the Riu for a honeymoon- and yes it was insanely fabulous! It was also $700 a night. I know that the garden view rooms at Riu were going for $180 per person per night for my group - that's your room, food, drinks, tax and fees, oh and round trip transfer was included in that too (and this is high season!)...I'm sorry but you can't beat a better deal than what Riu is offering, and it's not a dump....where else can you get all that for $180?

I'm writing this review for other brides who were like me and thinking, oh my god...I've told all my friends and family to come to this hotel which is a bug infested dump. I was so nervous. Well as soon as I got off the bus I was immediately reassured. I would 100% recommend Riu to anyone doing a destination wedding or large group event that has a variety of ages and is looking for something for everyone. The grounds are clean, the resort is pretty, the vibe is relaxing, and the food aint bad. I checked out all the options in Negril for such a large group – and for the price we paid – we couldn’t have picked a better spot.

Enjoy it, we honestly had the best time here and I don't have one complaint to speak of. Thanks to Riu and the hardworking staff for such an enjoyable trip!!

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Polish first
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

We had ten days here back in November 2009. It was our fist time to the Caribbean and I must admit I was dreaming of deep white sandy beaches and stunning blue sea; this wasn't the case at this hotel, which was probably my biggest disappointment and if that's what your after you really must realise this when you consider this hotel. The poor quality sand, copious cigarette buts and tired sun beds took us away from the sea and to the pool, however we were after complete relaxation and the pool area was loud with music and the entertainment team! The latter were fantastic if your into that sort of holiday, and if your not they do leave you alone. Evening entertainment was fantastic music wise, Bob Marley style all the way and fantastic, everything else a bit boring after the first few nights.
Hotel rooms were nice, always spotless and well stocked drinks wise. Staff were always very pleasant and very very hard working, all tips were always well deserved. The drinks were great, especially the fruit smoothies, however I wasn't massively enthralled by the food. It was totally average and I found most dishes overly salty, however it was never bad and we were never ill. The Jerk chicken hut on the beach is an exception of this though, it was very good . This and breakfast were probably the best meal of the day, the choice of fruit and omelettes were the best.
We took Jamaican Dollars as advised by our travel agents but I would recommend American Dollars, as that's what everyone works on. Trips wise Rick's Cafe is definitely worth a trip for the sun set if nothing else! It's expensive though and very commercial, the cliff divers were good to watch but the sun set was amazing and made it for us. YS Falls was also a very good trip out, very beautiful and worth a visit.
To sum up; the hotel was not worthy of it's 5 stars but by no means a terrible stay, I'd say it's beach lets it down but it was good value for the money we paid. Although I wouldn't return we had an enjoyable holiday, if we'd have paid a lot of money for it I would have been disappointed but we had beautiful weather (the odd welcome downpour in the afternoon that lasted a few minutes and freshened everything up) the staff were great and it did have a fantastic atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ONTARIO, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Firstly, my husband and I had an overall good trip here. We were here for a week to celebrate our first anniversary. I found this resort to be the perfect size...not too big, not to small....Everything was centrally located, and the pools/pool bar was really nice. Do not expect service by the pool or beach or around the bars, you need to get your drinks yourself (there is no room service at this hotel). The beach was ok, but not amazing. The sand was hard and the water was not crystal clear like you would see in Mexico or other places unless you stay on the seven mile beach which is apparently beautiful. My husband and I walked down the beach 10-15 mins and found that it was alot nicer there.
We found the food to be good and ate at the Jerk hut for lunch every day. The best dinner we had was at Sir Andrews. The steak house was 1/2 a la carte and 1/2 buffet. The Brazilian restaurant was good too. The main issue was waking up every morning at 730am to wait in line to book the a la carte for that evening. When we are on vacation, we like to sleep in a bit.
The rooms were nice and clean...we didn't have an alarm clock in our room either which was a challenge at times but we made due.
You need to bring bug spray because you will get eaten by sand fleas on the beach.
The entertainment staff and the shows were pretty good. Better than I have seen at other resorts.
We went to Ricks cafe which was awesome. Had dinner/jumped the cliffs and watched the sunset while the reggae band played. We also did YS falls and the black river safari which was a great experience as well.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We also had great weather while we were in Jamaica.
We would rate this hotel as a four star and would not come back, however we still had a good time and just wanted to share some of the good and mediocre point. All and all...alright!

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We went to Riu club hotel for 14 nights from the 5th till the 19th, The hotel was fine and the staff were very helpful and polite, i think if you treat them with respect they treat you the same, and i dont mean tipping !! we just didnt like the size of it and there were to many loud people who tended to take all the sunbeds by the pool the dissapeared for ages. the food was not brilliant should be more jamaican food as thats is what we are in jamaica for , its like the english going to spain etc and still wanting fish and chips !!! well i think this is built around the american and canadian people, . The night times were ok but they tended to repeat shows if you are there for two weeks, . Overall i cannot fault the hotel for cleanliness or the staff but it was just to big and commercial .

canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

This was my first trip to jamaica and also my very first time going to a riu resort. We went from jan 8th to jan 15th 2010. First and for most this resort was not a 5 star, more like a 3 star with the respect n service that myself and the 5 others i came with got. Iv been to Cuba, Domincan and mexico many many times and got better service at a 4 star then i did at this horrible riu hotel. The staff was beyond rude to us and the food was awful. You call this a 5 star?? A Riu hotel should be top notch since thats all they rave about being high quality. Bull

Lets start from the beginning, our room didnt have an alarm clock even tho it stated in the travel books that it did, we had no "Do Not disturb" or "please make our room" signs
Fine who cares your on vacation right? No! the alarm clock would be nice since we needed one to make our reservations for ala carts because this resort is so amazing that u had to wake up atleast at 730 am to wait in a long line up to book one for that day and on top of it all you couldnt even make other reservations for other nights because they did allow it. Are u joking me? Also we never had a tv remote for the tv in our room\, called the front desk to send one up , they said "no problem" and didnt recevive one until 2 days later. and with the signs for our door? the maid walked in everymorning because we didnt have one and our room was hardly ever made bc we didnt have the "please make our room" sign. We told her many many times that we needed one and she said no problem. Funny how thats there saying for everything. PS thru the whole vacation we never did get those signs.

Now the food at this resort, the food was alright, eggs were bad most morning. my coffee always had rotten milk. Told the server many time still nothing. my boyfriend had bacon and i guess they didnt change the oil from the night before and it taste like fish. How can you call this a 5 star when there not even on top of this. People are allergic to certain things and they should be on top of this. Not to meantion we showed up to breakfast at 1015am and they were closing early and when asked what time they close they said "i dunno" They close at 11am thank you very much. Lunch and Dinner buffet was always the same. Dinner buffet did have themes but they maybe had two lor three things that were different at that night but other then that, garbage.

Oh and the the power went off like 6 times while we were eatting dinner. Thats what you call a 5 star,Great to know the quality we got. At night there was a 24hr buffet and my girlfriend and i went to grab pizza at 2am and the cook was so rude and said "dont you sleep" because he didnt feel like making pizza for us.

With all of this that went on, my boyfriend had enough and went to complain to the front desk about what kind of 5 star that they were running and nothing, she just made excuses for everything. But she did said she was going to "file a report" and make it known to the managment. She said her sorrys and said for the inconveniane myself plus the 5 others i was with would get a special dinner and we should talk to their restaurant manager Ricardo and he'll treat us good.

In doing so, that night we spoke to the manager and he did not know what we were talking about and we had to re-tell him about our complaint. Good to know they "filed a report" Anyways he gave us one of the ala carts at the resort and asked us what time we would like for our dinner tomorrow and i had said 9pm because we had an excursions planed for that day and didnt no if we could have made the earlyer time(630pm).
The next day we did our day trip got back around 715ish, when we walked down to the restaurant at 9pm, they didnt have our reservation and it was made for 630 and not 9pm like we had asked for. so in which case we lost our reservation. Now we are pissed, a simple reservation wasnt even done right.

This trip at the end of the day it wasnt even worth our time or our money\, they obviously [--] about there job or the fact that its a Riu chane. Im very disappointed that i wasted a whole week at the Riu Negril, iv heard many great things but the people are rude and not appreciative.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

We just got back from the Riu Negril this week. We were there for 5 nights as part of a 10 night trip to Jamaica. We have been to Mexico many times and therefore have had our share of experiences with all-inclusive resorts. We decided to stay at the Riu Negril because we were at the Riu Tequila in the Mayan Riviera 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. The Riu Negril is a huge resort in a nice calm bay in Negril. The resort is so big however that you just feel like a number and not a person at this place. There were crowds everywhere and if you are looking for a nice romantic getaway this is not the place to be. It is a family resort and therefore you have to expect that there will be more kids (which was fine). The serivce was just average and the food was nothing to write home about. Because they are cooking for so many people all the time the food is not very good and is usually overcooked and mushy. The a la carte restaurants require reservations as usual but unless you're lined up at the front lobby at 7:15am then good luck getting into the restaurants!! The one day it said that the reservation desk opened at 8am so when we got there at 7:45 the restaurants were both full!! Still don't understand that at all. The Sir Andrew restaurant was the only good meal we had there.....oh and don't forget the jerk chicken hut at the beach!! Awesome!

The entertainment staff were a lot of fun and tried hard to get everyone participating in beach and pool aerobics and water polo, dance classes and other events.

The beach was really nice and the water was very warm. We never had an issue finding room to sun tan or lie in the shade.

My husband and I won't be going back to this resort because of the size and poor quality of the food here. We are not picky eaters but it was pretty bad some days.

los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This hotel is horrible. At first glance when you first arrive you think you are in heaven. Little did you know that the hotel was built over swamp land. The beach is horrible, merky swampy water ( and it smelled too). The food was just as bad at the buffet. Lines for reservations at specialty restaurants too long. Watch out for your personal belongings because one of the staff members stole my fiancee's camera. Informed hotel management and security but they did nothing about it. Overall bad experience. Avoid this hotel at all cost.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!