“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Negril to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Negril
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bloody Bay Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #43 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the RIU Negril in March 2014 for a winter getaway. The resort was nice and clean with lots of different activities. It wasn't the most luxurious resort I've stayed at it but was perfect to just get away and be by the water the whole time. The rooms were very spacious, a little out-dated, but again, very clean. The food was good. I wish there was a little more variety during lunchtime at the buffet (seemed to be the same exact food every day). The jerk chicken stand on the beach was amazing! Would definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just got back - we went the week of July 21-28 and had a blast. The staff was excellent, they were very accommodating to our needs - brought in a extra bed for my daughter, moved my parents to a room with working A/C, extra towels and water when requested. The Hotel was clean, as were the rooms and the staff was very good about cleaning spills on tables in the restaurants, snack bars etc. Wife and kids spent a lot of time on beach, but the rest of us chilled at the pools. They have kayaks, paddle boats, and a small sailboat for guests to use - free of charge. The gym was nice with plenty of space to work out. And the grounds are big enough where you can get a good run or walk in...plus you have the beach to run/walk on. The food at the buffets was good (breakfast was very good). Its Jamaica - you can't expect a buffet spread like they do in Las Vegas...especially not for the price you pay for all inclusive. The food was not bad and they had theme nights like Mexican, and seafood night. Three restaurants are available - the best was "Gourmet" - order the mussels Rockefeller. The Steak House was very good but "Luigi's" disappointed - they tried too hard to do fancy Italian dishes and it didn't work.

The drinks were NOT watered down and the upper bar over the pool made a decent espresso.

The ocean is calm with little waves because the hotel is in a cove, the beach is cleaned every morning. The pool is skimmed twice per day and they pump cold water in each morning. The hotel is scheduled for "soft construction" this fall so they may update the linens, get rid of the glass tube TVs (no flatscreens) and maybe install card keys because the doors still use physical keys. So in that regard, the hotel isn't "modernized" but its comfortable, clean, and well maintained.

If I had one thing to complain about, it is that there is no coffee maker in the room. Instead there is a rack of 4 bottles of rum that are yours to drink (included) but when you leave the room you are surrounded by places to get a cocktail so you hardly use the alcohol provided in the room. You can walk to the buffet restaurant and carry a hot pot of coffee and 2 cups back to the room if you want.

We had a great time and considering inexpensive the whole deal was for an all-inclusive, a clean room, 2 pools, and a host of other beach and poolside activities daily (soccer on beach, arts/crafts/olympics for kids, Poolside Paiea for lunch, etc) you can't beat it. We are very happy with the trip overall and would definitely would go again. Don't forget to try the beach-side jerk chicken with the scotch bonnet hot sauce.

If you want to do an excursion, we did the booze cruise using Scuba Caribe on the beach in back of the hotel. Great supportive staff - friendly, and took great care of my elderly parents and my little girls when we were boat hopping.

Best tip I can offer - bring a lot of $1's and $5's. The employees work mostly for tips and they bust their butts appeasing the guests. We tipped everyone - and they deserved it.

Room Tip: Unless you don't like the sun, being in the ocean, in a pool, on the beach, or eating, you aren...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

There was 5 of us that traveled to the Riu Negril from June 15 to June 22. My husband and I travel frequently, about every 8 weeks somewhere in the Caribbean. This was our 5th time to Jamaica and first visit to Riu Negril and we will DEFINTELY be back. We traveled with our 11 year old daughter, my 72 year old mother & my BFF.
Honestly, we were a bit nervous with some of the negative reviews but once we got here it was ALL good mon! This resort is a 3 to 3 ½ Star comparing it to others we’ve been to. Yes it needs updated and upgraded but it didn’t affect our vacation. The resort is supposed to be closing next year for a few months for remodeling. While we were there they were redoing a lot of the grounds and outside work & even the groundskeepers were friendly and always nice to talk to.
We booked this trip via Cheap Caribbean but booked our airport transfers via Island Transfer & Tours. See our review for them also on Trip Advisor. The best decision we made and will never pay for the shared transfers again. The difference in price is small and so worth it!
The drive from the airport was appx 1 and a half hours. Clifford got us there safely and comfortably. We also got to request what time we wanted him there on the day of departure & he was even 10 minutes early. We highly recommend them.
The front desk was friendly, kind, and made a great first impression! We were offered a drink & had a short wait until our rooms were ready. Check in was painless.
We booked 2 Standard Rooms requesting them to be next to each other in building 1 (close to everything) and couldn’t have asked for better rooms. They granted our request which I highly recommend (close to everything) 1st floor, rooms 1035 & 1036. which was perfect. Our rooms faced the gardens and were very quiet and that’s the way we like it.
Our room was clean/no bugs and the maid Esselyn took very good care of us the entire week. We looked forward to seeing her every day. No matter what we asked for she always went out of her way for us and even kept our fridge stocked on off days. We always had plenty of fresh towels and had hot water. The AC worked great!
The beach is great with plenty of shade & palm trees. We never had a problem getting a lounger in the sun or shade no matter what time of day. The water is crystal clear and calm and the warmest I’ve ever felt. Literally like bath water. Be sure to bring a float or you’ll be paying anywhere from $15.00 to $20.00. We always bring a couple from home and then give them away on our last day.
If you walk to the left there are beach vendors set up under canopies selling shirts, jewelry, carvings, etc. & they were all very kind. Respect goes a long way & we enjoy very much talking to the locals.
Also, walking further down the beach you will find a sign that says “Office of Nature” and they have a nice grill and bar set up & we had dinner there one evening. Dynamite was so friendly and made us feel right at home. We had the best fresh caught lobster with garlic butter, rice & peas, and texas toast all cooked on the grill right in front of you as you wait all for only $20.00 and a tip. Roydel and friend taught us to play a local board game “Ludo” which was a lot of fun. It was great food and better company. A fantastic place and a fun time hanging out with the locals. Check out my review on Trip Advisor.
You do receive towel cards here and we never had to wait to get fresh beach towels.
I can’t review the pool because we honestly never went in it.
All of the workers at this resort were great! From the entertainment staff, to servers, front desk, security we always felt at home! They are what makes this place! Friendly, helpful, & happy to make your vacation the best ever. Not anything like we experienced at the Riu Ocho Rios which we will never go back to! See review.
The beach bar was open daily from 10am to 6pm & Ricky took very good care of us! He went out of his way making sure we always had what we wanted and served us our drinks all week! We miss you Ricky!!
Also, in the evenings make sure you go to the lobby bar between 8 & 9pm to hear Paul the fabulous bartender putting on a show singing & serving drinks. Every night we looked forward listening to him with our after dinner coffee. Also Claudia will keep you laughing and makes the best coffee ever! She’s the sweetest & will take very good care of you! We miss you Claudia!
Now for the food. First off, they take reservations for the restaurants and people start lining up in the lobby very early in the morning. We were able to get in to the Gourmet one night & thought the food was awful. After we left dinner there we went straight to the buffet. We also ate at the Steakhouse & it was really good!
The buffet was average to above average for an AI. There was always a variety of items & we never went hungry! The servers & workers go out of their way for you.
My very favorite tho was the jerk chicken on the beach served daily! If you never tried it you must! I ate it every day & never got sick of it! They also cook sausage there & serve rice and bread.
We always bring lots of ones for tipping but never felt obligated to tip. All the workers were most appreciative tho & for as hard as they work they really deserve the extra money.
There are many beach vendors that walk the beach daily selling items. If you’re not interested a “no thank you” is all you need to say & they will move on. We enjoy talking with them and hearing about their life in Jamaica so don’t be intimidated. They are only allowed at the edge of the water and never gave us a problem.
The nightly entertainment shows start around 9:30 and we only went to a couple. We go to bed around 10 so they were a little to late for us. Definitely plan on the Sunday night show for the “Steel Drums”. You don’t want to miss it.
Lastly, if you are like me wondering which Riu to book between the Riu Negril or Riu Tropical Bay here’s my take. The Riu Negril is much more lively, lots going on, more families, & they do have the disco at night (can’t review the disco cus we didn’t go). We walked to Riu Tropical Bay & it was much more quieter, and they do not have a beach bar which this one does. The water at Tropical Bay is even clearer & nicer but I don’t think it’s worth the extra $500.00 or more a couple for a weeks stay. This is just my opinion.
We had a wonderful weeks stay at the Riu Negril and always felt safe. Jamaica is still by far our very favorite place in the entire world and we visit there often. The Jamaican people go out of there way for tourists & are the friendliest and most helpful. They are what keeps us coming back. We will be back to this resort and would recommend this resort to others. Newt & Kim from Ohio.

Room Tip: Request building 1 which is closest to everything. We were in rooms 1035 & 1036 overlooking the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Accomodations: 8/10. We booked directly with RIU and transfers to and from the airport that way, if you book with other sites, you may not get transfer. We requested and got "seafront/oceanfront" rooms in advance of our arrival and were not disappointed. Euton at the front desk was very helpful. We loved waking up to the sound of the sea, and the view. Building 2 is best. Not too close to noise and not too far to go for food. The bathroom needed updating, and the TV was a box, but we did not spend much time in the room.

Food: 9/10. They had a wide variety of Jamaican and american food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. there was jerk chicken served on the beach which was nice. Baby friendly-lots of high chairs.

Beach: 8/10. there were enough beach chairs and spots to be comfortable but the sea itself had a lot of algae/seaweeds near the beach so you were limited to where you swim.

Entertainment: 7.5.The night shows need some work. but we went on excursions during the day.

TMB

Room Tip: Building 2 is not too close to noise and not too far from food. Second floor because no elevators b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I along with some friends stayed at the property from July 26th through August 1st, 2014. It was a couple of our anniversaries and some just coming along for the party. We age from 31-36.

Let me start by saying this WAS NOT my 1st choice, simply because I didn't want to stay in Negril and if I were to stay, I would have went with the Palace instead of the Club, nonetheless the majority out ruled so we stayed there.

So lets begin, we used Vacation Express the book the hotel and flight, good company, but what I have learned is when you have an issue, its hard to argue if you have a 3rd party, so I advise book with the resort directly.

It takes about an hour and a half with stops to make it to the resort from MBJ. Upon arrival we were greeted with a drink and check in was pretty quick. We requested to be in building 2, because previous reviews stated that 2 & 4 had single beds, and that they did. Only downfall was the stairs, we were on the 3rd floor. We stayed in room 2207 and my 2nd complaint after the stairs was the air! It was way too warm for me. We eventually learned of how the cooling system works and lets just say we didn't see a ICE COLD night until the DAY BEFORE WE LEFT! Its extremely too hot to not have better air conditioning systems. Food, it was your typical buffet food and it was the same just about everyday. If you walk to the left of the beach past the outdoor activities you can get Lobster, Fish, and Shrimp prepared by locals on the beach, grilled in front of your face. It was definitely what I needed after eating the SAME thing for one too many days. The resort was clean for the most part and our rooms were always clean. Some of our friends had issues in they're room but they accommodated them for it by moving them along with some other things. The drinks were hit or miss, it just really depends on who you get that day. Outdoors the resort was nice within they were definitely in need of an update, I mean they still use real keys for the doors! Was expecting more for the price, but all in all ok. Just give yourself variety with eating off the property and excursions after a long day, you wont notice the outdated bedding and tv in the rooms. Oh and by the way, if you elect to visit the spa, they only have one pedicure spa chair. I had to use the little one that you can buy to soak your feet in at home, and I was hot! I gave the attendant rave reviews because they need their jobs, but what I really wanted to do was give them a big 0 the WORST PEDICURE/SPA experience ever.

Room Tip: Pick a room in buildings 2 & 4, 2 is much closer, and request 1st floor those stairs are a beast...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The Riu is exactly what I've come to expect from Mega resorts, blah. The food is edible, very nicely presented but overall, unremarkable. The rooms are clean but lacking any color or personality. And if you get put in building 3 or 4, expect to walk a heck of a long way for food. But you will find it quieter. There is more to do for kids then anything else as far as entertainment. My one big complaint would have been the staff. Most seemed fairly unhappy with their jobs or down right grumpy. I watched a bartender refuse to serve the next woman in line because she said he should smile more. He said he had nothing to smile about. Now, I ask you, is there anything that will put a damper on your vacation faster than a depressed bartender?! Unfortunately, this seemed to be the normal for the staff, not the exception. I did see a few changes in attitude when the General manager was on site. Too bad when she isn't there her counterpart doesn’t maintain her same standards. I think I will stick with trying the smaller resorts.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I traveled to this place in June. There was a mix up with the rooms that took all day to resolve. All the rooms are basic. Ocean front rooms views are blocked off from huge trees planted in front of the rooms, so it is not worth upgrading to Ocean front rooms.

The rooms all have the box tv. Nothing has been updated. The only thing that saved this trip was great service from the bartender and great food. The bartenders at the pool bar and above the pool bar were all excellent and entertaining. The buffet always had great food. So good that we did not bother doing reservations at the other restaurants.

One extremely bad experience was that we missed dinner one night and the hotel has this "grill" area where there is really no grill. The microwave was broken and they had stale fruits and sandwiches for you to eat. We had to travel off the property to get dinner. It's such a shame because I remembered staying at the RIU Montego Bay and their grill was open 24/7 and there were never any issues if you were hungry. This whole event just immediately turned me off from going to any RIU hotel again.

The night entertainment was good. The nightclub was boring. I would have loved to hang out at the beach, but the lounge chairs were disgusting and dirty and looked like it was never scrubbed down. The floors were extremely slippery when it rained. My friend slipped and broke her arm.

All in all...this hotel is great for people who don't travel a lot to know what a good quality hotel looks like. If you are a first time traveler, this is the hotel for you. If you been to other hotels such as the Melia and AM Resorts, then you know that this hotel does not even come close.

Room Tip: Ocean view is not really ocean view. Don't pay extra for something you're not going to get.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!