“Our Wedding-moon & Second stay at this Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

You added ClubHotel Riu Negril to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Negril
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bloody Bay Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #45 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Our Wedding-moon & Second stay at this Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our first visit was Oct 2012 and second visit Nov-Dec 2013 to this particular resort. We were returning to Negril to get married. The first visit was a holiday with a bit of reconnaissance 'work' thrown in to see if it was somewhere we'd be happy to get married. We made our decision after ALOT of research and the opinion we formed from our first stay.

TRANSFER: took approximately two hours from MoBay to Club Riu. We arrived in MoBay before schedule but still ended up waiting for other travellers which was annoying. At this point, I regretted not paying for a private transfer, we both agreed that next time a private transfer is a must. The journey to the hotel was fine. If I remember rightly, we only stopped at one hotel on the way to drop other guests off. We also didn't stop for a lavatory/red stripe. This wasn't the case the first trip. The driver and baggage handler were professional and friendly. We tipped them $5 each.

CHECK IN: we were immediately handed a lovely fruit punch, icy cold and refreshing. We then proceeded to a temporary desk to check in. The girl who actually checked us in surprised us with a complimentary upgrade. Check in was smooth and we were heading to our room within ten minutes.

ROOM: we were in Block two, directly opposite the beach bar (handy) on the first floor. We decided to carry our own bags so we could get to our room and unpack as quickly as humanly possible. We were pleased with the location of our room. We had the best room for ocean view and also a great balcony to people watch from. The room had two double beds that were pushed together, i couldn't really tell there was a gap in the middle so, for us, it wasn't a problem. The mini bar was stocked with: Coca Cola, Diet Coca Cola, Bigga (fizzy orange), two large bottle of Wata (water), four red Stripes, tonic water and ginger ale. There was also four optics, vodka, rum, gin and cognac (I think it was), these were topped up every other day. If you catch the mini bar guy or leave a note, they will leave the things you like and not the things you don't like. For example, we just wanted coca cola, vodka, red stripes and water. We tipped him $5 (when we saw him). The room was spacious, clean and the air con worked fine. The only negative was that one of the drawers kept sticking and also there was a lamp shade missing off one of the wall lights (no biggy). There was 3 bath towels, 4 hand towels and two face cloths. The electronic safe (set your own code) worked fine, initially (see comment below). The television was an old fashioned chunky one.

WEDDING: we had a very personal wedding, it was better than we expected. We purchased the Royal package. Our wedding coordinator was lovely, professional, very calming and thorough. She really is fantastic. We met with her the first morning. All details were finalised and we were set to get married on Monday 2nd December 2013. We chose the beach gazebo for our ceremony and it was perfect. The groundsmen rake the sand and move any loungers and people from the immediate vicinity. The gazebo was beautifully decorated with a white organza type material and two beautiful arrangements either side. The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Dionne brought me round the back way of the accommodation blocks so I wasn't seen by anybody until I was ready to do the "walk" when the music started playing (and the tears started rolling). We made friends with another couple from the UK who kindly recorded the ceremony and everything on the iPad, thanks C & R. We also had a photographer who took professional photos, we had a package of one hour of photos which resulted in 135 photos. We got married on Monday and had the photos by Friday on a disc (would've been nice to of had one or two printed out) but we also purchased 5 photos (7" x 5") for $12 each that were on the disc. I couldn't wait until I was home to have some pics of the day!. We were also given a Riu photo album (also available to buy in the shop), a "Just Married in Jamaica" t-shirt, a couples massage (20 minute Swedish) and complimentary Club MoBay for departure. Nice touches!. Our wedding meal was in Shadows steak house, I wasn't impressed with the meal at all. For small weddings I think you should be given the option to dine in any of the a la carte restaurants. The cake wasn't very nice. It was a basic chocolate cake that was iced in marshmallow type stuff, it didn't have any flowers or decoration on it. Very disappointing.

FOOD: there is literally something for everybody. Fish, meats, vegetables, salads, pasta, pizza, soup, burgers (avoid the hamburgers, our friend was very sick from eating one of these- it ruined the last 4 days of his vacation), cheese, biscuits, ice cream, desserts, smoothies, jerk chicken, the list goes on. When I say there's everything from Linguine to lobster and creme caramel to callaloo, there really is something for everyone. You can get food 22.5 hours a day at this resort. Personally, we love the barbecue chicken on the beach that's served at lunchtime. We'd have chicken from the hut and then walk up to the lunch buffet and get salad (hubby was allowed chips on holiday, they're banned at home lol). The a la carte system is annoying. You have to book two days in advance. Due to this, we only ate at one of these which was the gourmet, Sir Andrews. My husband had the fillet steak which he enjoyed very much. The staff are friendly and professional.

STAFF: professional, friendly, courteous, humble, willing and eager to please. Most importantly, they work SO hard to ensure you have a nice stay at this resort. They make you feel as though nothing is too much trouble. No problem!. They really do work hard and do their best. I witnessed a few times the staff being friendly and chatty and then the guests being down right rude. Not once did we feel as if we had to tip, we chose to tip when we'd received good service.

ENTERTAINMENT: the team work day in day out to put on a variety of shows in the evening as well as doing various things during the day. Jamaican dancing, aerobics, water aerobics, volley ball, pool games, there's always something going on. If you don't like this type of thing, you can go to the quieter part of the beach, the fish sanctuary and it's more quiet there. This is the beach in front of block 4. I wouldn't advise going in the sea here though as there are ALOT of fish, literally thousands. There is a sign that states "no swimming" but I did see people in the sea here. There is a resident Heron who likes to 'snack' here - Fantastic to watch at such close proximity!.

FACILITIES: there are two pools, the pool with a swim up bar is much more lively than the other, larger pool. The pool with a swim up bar has seats at the bar and also seats and tables around the edge where you can sit or put your drink without getting out of the water. The people who sit in the swim up bar drinking from 12 noon until 4/5pm clearly don't care that they are increasing the water level of the pool instead of taking a short walk to the toilets. Really, it's gross!.
There are 3 a la carte restaurants and there's also A buffet for breakfast (main restaurant) a buffet for lunch (Shadows) and the jerk chicken on the beach (from 12 until he runs out of chicken) a buffet for dinner (main restaurant) and then Luigis (the Italian a la carte) is open for late night snacks from 10pm to 6am. There is a beach bar, a bar in the lobby (check out Paul the barman who sings at 7:30pm most nights - he's world class and needs to be recognised for his fantastic voice), a bar opposite the main stage and the swim up bar. There are also drink stations in all buffets where you can get beer, wine, tea, coffee, soft drinks and ice. In all of the buffets, a waiter or waitress will get your drinks for you. We used to leave a couple of dollars for our waiter/waitress when we ate. There is a Spa on site that we used and were very happy with (see separate paragraph). On the beach, there is a variety of watersports. Kayaks, little sail boats, peddle boats (all included), Scuba diving centre (they lost my business as they failed to turn up for the 3pm meeting at the pool) as I wanted to get certified this trip, when I went to the Scuba centre I was told the instructor had just gone out. Yea, thanks for sending someone up to tell me, I'd just wasted an hour waiting for someone who was never going to come (this happened 3 times on my last trip to). So, if you are already certified and are ready to get your cash out you'll be fine. If you're a learner and need to start from scratch, good luck and be patient!. There are jet skis on the beach that are NOT part of the hotel. You use these at your own risk but they are FUN. We used a jet ski each for 10 days out of the 14. They are ALOT of fun. Negotiate with the guys though, you'll get a good price, eventually.

RENOVA SPA: as we were getting married I was apprehensive about hair and make up. I booked my appointment a month before arrival. I had to pay a 50% deposit to secure the booking via paypal which I found a bit odd but that's the system they use. I had no problems with it. We also had a couples massage (part of the package) that we had done the day before our wedding on the beach. It was lovely.
My hair and make up was done by Vanessa, what a girl!. She really did make me look like a proper bride. I was so impressed. I went in to the spa, met with Vanessa and she made me feel at ease straight away (or was that the two large Coco mania and coke I had in hand???) by chatting happily away. I didn't have a clue how I wanted my make up, all I knew was I wanted my hair up. In two hours she worked wonders. My hair was all curled and pinned up and my make up was lovely, very natural looking but enhanced my features. I was very pleasantly surprised how much I liked what she had done as I hadn't had a trial or anything. Vanessa isn't just a beauty therapist and hair dresser she is a lovely woman who is fantastic at her job. She really is an asset to this resort. For any future brides, ask for Vanessa, she is superb.

All in all, we had a lovely wedding-moon and wouldn't change a thing about the ceremony itself. I hope this review helps people in some way make a decision. We've been to this resort twice, it's served it's purpose, it does what it says on the tin. However, we won't be staying here again as it's time to try somewhere new. My all inclusive big resort days in Jamaica are done. Time to try the smaller boutique types on the cliffs!.
In my honest opinion, this hotel is great for families who want lots of things to do without venturing off the resort itself. In my opinion, it's like a 3 star hotel. Apparently it is undergoing renovation work in 2014. Maybe the Reno work will push it up a star?!?. The Palace hotel next to the Club hotel in my mind is not as nice as the Club hotel. It says a lot when there are guests coming to the Club hotel from the palace to spend their days and eat. Why would people go to the less expensive hotel after paying for the more expensive hotel to eat and use the facilities??

NB Management- out of 14 days, fresh mint for mojitos was only available for 2 days. It was totally unacceptable as I drink Mojitos and fresh mint isn't exactly hard to source!. I was informed by a staff member they get 2 pounds of mint delivered daily. This was an outright lie!. Maybe they get two pounds delivered per month?!.

Room Tip: Ocean view in any block. Request block one or two if you don't like walking. Also if you're...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,004)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place is like summer camp for adults. The staff @ the front desk were so unfriendly, the bar was covered in flies and bees, my cousin got stung. The food was subpar. Stick to the fries!!!! The rooms were smelly and the bath was a hole in the wall. I was so unhappy with the place, I left immediately and found a room @ Beachcomber further down the strip. At least there you know exactly what you're getting for half the price.

• Stayed December 2013
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

On arriving at the airport we travelled nearly 2 hours and was told that the town of Lucea ( which has a road below sea level) was flooded and we could not get through to the hotel,and had to wait until the level of the water had dropped.We finally arrived and was given a very musty smelling room .In the morning as the hotel was only half full we were able to swap rooms.
We had a lovely holiday the food was very good and the staff lovely but
for me there was nowhere to get any peace and quite to read a book because of the loud music etc and at the quite end of the beach there are no sun shades.
The beach is lovely ( take beach shoes) and the best time to walk is early morning before all the beach vendors set up. We went in Oct/ Nov when the hotel was half empty which for us was good as I expect we would not have enjoyed it so much if the hotel had been full.
Take plenty of bug repellent .

Room Tip: If you want to be close to reception choose block 1.( short walk) Other blocks 2-4 get further awa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The City of Champions
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We visited this resort in Feb of 2012. It was our first trip abroad and I felt overwelmed by Jamacia in general. These people love to sing, smile, and party.

We didnt have any complaints about the resort other than there was a large population of sea urchins living in the dead coral in the beach. Quite nasty when you step on them, the good Jamacian rum soothed the pain.

The staff of the resort were awesome. Our cleaning lady, Doreth Gardiner, was the best. We exchanged addresses with her and she sent us a nice letter at Christmas.:) If you ever see her while you are staying there, she is sure to have a big smile for you.

Overall it was the best holiday I ever had the pleasure of going on. I can't wait to visit Jamacia again!!

Room Tip: Even though it is advertised there are ATMs available...DON'T BELIEVE IT. I spent the last 2 day...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for a week from December 7th to 14th. It is a very nice resort on a large property. We were surprised how big the property was and how much beach area there was. Every type of food we tried was great, especially the jerk chicken cooked on the beach in front of Shadows steakhouse. The snorkeling at the resort was great for beginners like us, but I wouldn't recommend going without proper footwear as there are quite a few sea urchins here. All of the beach vendors were respectful and not too pushy, and some were funny too. A polite no thank you always sent them on their way. The hotel staff is fantastic, especially the servers and bartenders. Next time we stay in Negril we will likely do a smaller resort but this was perfect for our first 5-star experience in Jamaica. :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Not worth the 2 hour dive from the airport.
as an experienced traveller I think I was so disappointed with this resort because I have stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts that have been much better than this.
The Iberostar Montego bay ( 4 star) set my standards high I guess.
my experience
unfriendly staff, a handful of pleasant staff.
dinner time don't allow much time for kids to eat then partake in kid shows.
à la carte is something to laugh at worst service ever. be prepared to wait and food is not worth the wait (ketchup soup) "shadows".
good luck getting bottled water! we are a family of 4 and 2 bottles of water just isn't enough. if you ask for more they give you a hard time. oh and day of check out make sure you ask for water day before. We called front desk for water because we were out and wanted a bottle for the 2 hour trip to the airport, (9 am) we were told "sorry the delivery to rooms doesn't come till later today. " I asked if I could pick some up from front desk. I was told they didn't have any! I asked so where am I to get some water? they responded sorry there's nothing they can do to help.
bar staff at beach kept putting alcohol in my kids drinks!!! when I would ask for frozen drinks for the kids. Parents taste your kids drinks before giving it to them!!!!
cleanliness of room - I've had better at motels.
We had sand in our sheets probably from the kids and some scuffs of dirt so I wanted our sheets changed. I pulled sheets off into pile on bed since there was no card to indicate sheet change. And guess what she didn't change the sheets so next morning I lifted the corners off fitted sheets still no sheet change. we had to call and request sheet change.
room had broken lamps and drawers.
resort cleanliness is not impressive, tables not cleared off nightly left them till next morning (outdoor stage area.) smells, many things In need of repairs, things like that.
beach was washing up seaweed, which is fine but there was very little beach maintenance. (like other 4 -5 star do)
no beach shade other than trees, which the bugs love. be sure to have bug replant.
lifeguard hard to be found at beach.
very few bathrooms on this resort. it was easier for us to use room washroom from beach.
This resort is not a 5 star maybe 3 1/2 star.
here's an example of the kind of service you`ll get from this place.
I went to the lobby bar at 9:30 am to get a cappuccino and asked the lady leaning against the bar hovering over a plate of food is your machine working. she replied yes. I said great can I get a cappuccino. her response to me was " no, the bar doesn`t open until 10" my mouth dropped and I walked away.
is this 5 star service. I think not. people save yourself the trouble the beach is the same in Montego bay at the iberostar. do a day trip to 9 mile beach.
I could go on but I'll stop here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent two weeks at this hotel at the end of November 2013 and enjoyed every minute. The staff were very helpful and extremely pleasant. The reception manager, Euton Lewis, was always on hand to meet our needs and made it his priority that we would have an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
The food was well presented with a good selection of local Jamaican cuisine if you wanted to try something different.
The rooms are a good size and all come with a balcony and a free bar. There are no tea and coffee facilities in the room, but we were informed that this will implemented in the near future. House keepers are warm and friendly (Dionne was a star) but most of all trustworthy. On one occasion we went on a trip for a couple of days and left the safe in our room wide open by mistake. We notified the manager of the hotel a few hours after our departure and on our returm the contents were as we left them.
The beach was fine, however, the daily activities taking place mean that its not always quiet if you lie close to the resort, so be prepared for some background music while you relax.
If you want entertainment, this is the place to stay. There are activities all day long, a live band in the evening and a show every night.
We felt safe and secure the whole time and would definitely stay here again with no hesitation.

Room Tip: We were in block 1, on the second floor, which was close to all the amenities and it was still fairl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#9 of 91 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 1,958 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!