“No Worries Mon!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

You added ClubHotel Riu Negril to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Negril
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bloody Bay Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“No Worries Mon!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

My 5th time in JA 2nd time at The Riu Club

Check-In...Was smooth cocktails while we checked in we had rooms in bldg. 3 which is a nice long walk to the rest of the resort so we requested Bldg. 1 and it was granted the next day no problem.

Room...Was clean spacious for 3 ladies in a room we didnt seem to bump into each other durin our stay, the bathroom was clean with double sinks which was perfecr for 3 ladies in a room...big closet, huge floor to ceiling mirror, big closet and stocked bar always a plus! the only thing the room was missing was a coffee maker (no big deal) as I had a hang ova every morning lol...but my lovely roommate would bring a pot of fresh brewed coffee from the breakfast area to our room...thank goodness for her!!

Food...My favorite meal was the breakfast buffet the dinner was good tooand the variety is endless even the pickiest eater wont starve. We ate at Luigi restaurant our last night it was nice but probably would have been fine dining at the buffet.

Beach...I cant say much about the beach I did lounge on the beach but I'm not a beach person although the water was calm and clear it's just not my thing. The pools was lovely especially the pool bar with music and drinks flowing good times!

--There was a beach party on the resort on Sunday lots of fun
--The club on the resort is nice they played a variety of jams it closes at 1 or 2am nice spot if you dont want to leave the resort to party.
--You have Luigi's that stays open all day all night servin pizza sometimes oxtails, rice, spaghetti, lasagne & pasta...they even let us take a whole pizza to our room..no problem

We took the catamaran to Rick's it rained very hard on our way there but it was a beautiful sunshine and sunset on our way back absolutely Breathtaking view! I highly recommend the catamaran vs. the taxi ride to Rick's.

--Jungle nightclub Thursday night (ladies feee) nice party spot
--Bourbon beach & Alfred's great spots for (live reggae bands)
--ScrubADub (strip club) was classy nice took some of those moves home with me..lol

Massage...On the beach massage for 50mins of heaven!!! It was an out of this world experience, and they gave us a bottle of champagne...highly recommend!

Shout outs to the ENTIRE STAFF at Riu Clubhotel I cant say how much I appreciate the smiles the "hey mons", the "no worries" the "irie mons", "yea mon" during my stay as some folks I'm sure make it really hard for you to stay in a relax happy mood with there "nick pickin"complaints!! Some folks really need to step back and count there blessings and NOT how many towels they have or no shampoo or mosquitoe bites and repeating foods and my bar wasnt stocked (cry babies) as most people dont have any of the above.!

Jamaica is my second home until I return...
Respect

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Negril, unlike Ocho Ríos and Montego Bay, isn't a massive touristy place with cruise liners docking in and sky high hotels. It is however a lovely tourist destination without the commercial tourist scene - it's rather more local and authentic.

It was about an hours drive away from Montego Bay Airport, a nice scenic drive. It's perfectly safe there and there are loads of options to keep the tourists happy.

I stayed at ClubHotel Riu Negril, location, staff, activity options and food were all excellent. Its sheltered at the end of the bay and is much more peaceful, it is further than the others from the center but that is a good thing. The quality was good for a buffet option. There is a late night club there called Pacha. The Riu Palace Tropical Bay hotel up the beach is better i've been told however the location isn't as nice as ours and it was much smaller without a club.

You are able to make reservations for any of the 3 restaurants at the hotel from 08:00 to 17:00 each day. You can book either for that night or 2 nights in advance. I found that the best was the Sir Andrew - A la Carte then the Rodriguez Grill followed by the Shadows Steak House.

There are 4 bars starting at 10:00, the lobby welcome bar (favorite as quiet) the bar by the stage (noisy kids entertainment until 21:00) the pool bar and the bar above the pool bar and opposite the stage.

Sleep quality not the best as the cleaners mad noise in the mornings, the halls echo.
Cleanliness not the best as the pillows never had covers on but everything else was spot on.

There are a lot of mosquitoes that come out at night, insect repellent is essential. Not a massive issue but worth noting.

Take a lot of USD $1 and USD $5 dollar bills out for tips as its awkward asking for change when tipping or finding that you don't have any money on you.

There are jet skis available not thru the hotel, USD $50 per 30min - negotiable as everything is.

I would definitely recommend the snorkeling trips, the catamaran to Rick's Cafe and the Bob Marley Nine Mile tour with Captain Crazy.

There are sea urchins in the seagrass, be careful of them, there is nice sand everywhere but the further you go out there are the sea urchins. You cant tell where the seagrass is as the color changes form a beautiful turquoise blue to a much darker blue.

The male staff love chatting to the ladies but they are friendly and not sleazy.

All in all i had a lovely time there, the food, people, weather and chilled out vibes were 100% satisfying and i would highly recommend Negril Jamaica.

Room Tip: Building 2 or 3 as 1 is too noisy and 4 too far.
Westlake, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Stayed at Riu ClubHotel Negril for five days in April 2011. Had a great time! The rooms are clean, the staff was friendly, the pools and beach are amazing! Great snorkeling right off the beach---lots of different fish and rays.

Things are a little laid back, so sometimes it took a while--to get towels, mini-bar filled, etc. so I'd suggest you bring a couple of your own beach towels.

Food was good, Sir Andrews and the Steak House were the best of the restaurants. The Brazilian restaurant was dissappointing....skip this one if you can. The buffets were good, we could always find something good to eat! Check out the singing bartender at 8:30 pm in the lobby bar....what a great voice! Also, bring some large plastic or insulated cups for hot and cold drinks....you'll save a lot of trips back and forth to the bar!

Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights and it was just ok. It was less than what we expected, the service was ok. The food could have been a allot better. My wife had to call reception 6 times just to get some towels in the room on check in, no extractor in the bathroom so it steamed up every time you took a shower. The shower didn’t work when we checked in to the room had to call maintenance. We had to make reservations for two restaurants on both occasions we booked for the 9pm sitting, on the first night we turned up on time and had to wait for someone to seat us, then she turned up 5 min late and told us that she is working from her time.....and our watch was showing the incorrect time, even though other guests were all there waiting to be seated, the service was slow and the staff seemed to be confused the food was disappointing. The second restaurant was much better with service but the food was cold and we were disappointed with the preparation and variety on the menu. The Sauna was good however the indoor Jacuzzi did not work the heaters were not working so we had to have a cold Jacuzzi, the Gym was average small and limited. The Club was ok, could be better.

Room Tip: Check everything in your room on checking in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

My sister and I stayed mid April. We had a wonderful time. The baech and the bay=amazing. Resort was very pretty. Swim up bar = fun. Staff was very nice. We did do a lot of tipping -most likely more than we needed to (lesson learned). Buffet was really good. We had reservations at two of the restaurants (ok- wouldn't waste time standing in line for reservations- buffets where just fine). Our room was nice. Tipped but did not get what we asked for ??? Room was a little far from everything-but really with all of the eating and drinking we did - the exercise did us good. Entertainment staff was just that ENTERTAINING. Although the entertainment ended too early.(Disco small and a little boring). Very much audience participation. Again this was our sister vacation and women traveling without male companions will get approached a lot. Does not matter if you tell them you are married. We would definitely go back. But might stay somewhere else just for a different experience.

• Stayed April 2011
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Have to write review to make up for all the trash people have been putting up here. I just got back with my wife and another couple. We have nothing to complain about. The place is beautiful, the food is decent (especially the jerk chicken).

The staff are super friendly and nice. I will admit the entertainment was so bad but I don't go for that however some of you might. The drinks are watered down but I'm convinced its for the better because it is so hot there some times and dehydration would suck.

Rooms were clean and fine, maids are best to tip for a consistently well kept room with a fully stocked fridge.

The beach was so amazing, shallow clean water, I'll miss that. The pool bar is fun too. Anyways, bring a good attitude, it's gonna be Iiiiiryyy, Ya Mon.

If you think you're worth 5 stars and want that kind of service its called tipping!!

Room Tip: pay for it
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

The key to a wonderful stay at Riu Negril is definitely treating everyone with respect. If you believe that complaining loudly will get you what you want, don't stay here. This was our second trip to Riu Negril, and our 10th trip to Jamaica. I was very worried after reading the negative reviews, but was instantly relieved when we arrived.
Our flight was wonderful. Thank you USA3000 and Apple Vacations. We left Easter Sunday, and I was expecting some delays, but our flight arrived early. Check in was extremely quick and efficient. There were 5 in our group, including two teenagers and my husband's mom. We had rooms right next to each other that had an additional small hallway with a locking door. We were able to leave our room doors open and shut the hallway door at night. Nice bonus. Our room had a true king bed and another twin for our daughter. The other room had two full size, perfect for our two other family members. There were some things missing, pillow cases and one bath towel, but I simply left a note and $3 for the housekeeping staff, and we were taken care of the entire trip.
Agreed that the shampoo and soap sizes are tiny, but just bring your own from home. Room was made up and kept extremely clean by noon every day. Air conditioning worked great, and we did use it daily.
Overall, food was excellent, drinks were wonderful, staff was amazing, service was quick and friendly.
I will be posting more detail, but really wanted to comment quickly due to the horrible, negative reviews.
As for the title of my post, if you make a point to be respectful, kind and friendly with the staff, they will go out of their way to make sure you have the best vacation possible. We never felt the need to tip, and received great service whether we gave a small tip, or not. If you take the time to engage in conversation with the staff, you will find they are extremely accomodating. People who were rude or pushy may not have had the same quality experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!