“Small and Intimate on Beautiful 7 Mile Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Seashore Bay Beach Resort
Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #35 of 91 hotels in Negril
Orillia, Ontario
“Small and Intimate on Beautiful 7 Mile Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at this property from Feb 25 to Mar 4, 2013. It was a very enjoyable vacation.

Staff:
Every member of staff with whom we crossed paths greeted us with a smile and was very friendly and helpful. From the moment we stepped out of the bus we were made to feel welcome. Porters were on hand to handle the luggage and we were invited to sit comfortably in the lobby to complete the check-in process. Waiters were there to take orders for some well earned liquid refreshment. Our room was ready immediately and we were escorted there by one of the front desk staff who gave us a quick familiarization tour of the property along the way. Our bags arrived at the room within 5 minutes.

Service:
Service was excellent. We found it to be consistently friendly and efficient across all staff teams from Lobby to Kitchen to Entertainment to Wait Staff, Bartenders to Gardeners to Maintenance Staff.

Cleanliness:
At any time of day in any location on the property maintenance staff could be observed sweeping, raking, mopping, etc. (one morning at about 0400 I happened to look out the balcony doors and saw a property maintenance person raking leaves in the moonlight!)
It was no easy feat to keep the floors and patios clean of beach sand which we guests happily tracked up from the beach at a respectable rate but there was always someone with mop or broom keeping the place clean.
And speaking of the beach... not only was it raked clean of flotsam every morning but was well monitored throughout the day and kept clear of plates, glasses, straws, and other debris.
The public washrooms were always clean and ordourless... unless you happened to follow a cigar smoking patron inside...even that was not unpleasant...it smelled like one more scent which one enjoys on a tropical vacation.

Location:
The property is located toward the northern end of beautiful 7 mile beach (if you are trying to locate it on google maps it is labelled "Beaches Sandy Bay" (its former name) not to be confused with "Beaches Negril" which is farther along the beach).
We walked the beach every day just loving it...one can walk about 1 km north to the border of Hedonism II resort, and further if you do not mind passing through a nudist area. Not being so inclined we generally walked south 2 or 3 Kms before turning around...if you wish to keep going it is possible to walk all the way to the town of Negril.
As the beach is oriented North-South and facing West you will be able to watch the sun sink into the sea every evening. Take a table on the patio, enjoy the evening breeze, order a couple of cocktails and watch the sunset before heading in for dinner. Nice.

Small Resort Intimacy:
Given the smaller size of this resort (compared to some of the mega resorts we have visited) one becomes familiar with faces seen on a daily basis and before long new friendships may develop. This can really add to the fun and makes the experience feel a little more homey and intimate.

Room:
Our room was in building 7 the front of which is angled toward the beach. This positioning means that all rooms in the building have a sea view. Building 6 was across from us and positioned in the same manner. Although we did not note the positions of the other buildings on the property I believe the majority of rooms enjoy a sea view.
Our room had a king bed (comfortable) and double French doors leading to a decently sized balcony where we would sometimes sit to get a reprieve from that glorious sunshine and catch a nice breeze.
The room was somewhat dated what with older bathroom fixtures (original tub but new shower head, etc..) and some minor wear and tear, a window A/C unit which is a tad noisy but not too bad. The room was freshly painted and clean and we were comfortable there.
One thing we noted was a lack of hot water....it ranged from cold to luke warm but this was no great inconvenience and was rather refreshing after a sunny day on the beach.
Oh, and one other thing...there is no beer in the mini-bar...it is stocked with water, juice and softdrinks...but NO beer...this may not be a concern for most but I always liked the convenience of grabbing a cold one or 2 and heading out to the balcony.

Food:
The buffet restaurant was our favourite dining place. There was a good variety for the carnivore..chicken, beef, goat, pork, fish, turkey, crab, mussels, clams....at least 3 or 4 choices were available at any given meal....along with various vegetables, salad makings, desserts, etc....
My spouse is a vegetarian and sometimes found the meal choices limited but at most meals was happy with what was offered.
Favourite meal for both of us was the breakfast omelete...one scoops one's ingredients from the dishes provided and hands to the chef who then adds the eggs and fries them up....do you want cheese with that? (My choice: bacon, green and red peppers, onion, spinach, tomato....hold the cheese....and top with smoked salmon....add salsa sauce on top and go to omelete heaven)
Thursday nights dinner is served on the beach under the stars while the surf almost laps at your feet. Very nice. The tables seat 8 so this provides a good opportunity to meet some new people.

"The Towel Game":
This is a game commonly played on beach resorts throughout the Caribbean. If you do not know what the towel game is, it is this...When you wish to stake out a particular palapa, beach bed, or beach chair for the day, you rise at an unholy hour, slink to the beach and place your beach towels over the chairs, bed, etc along with a personal item or 2 (a pair of flip flops, a book, etc), and then return to bed and sleep for 2 or 3 more hours.
We have sat on resort beaches and observed prime beach beds and chairs covered with towels all the way into mid afternoon while no one showed up to occupy them. While I despise the towel game I have no choice but to play it and play it well if I want a good beach position for the day. At Seashore Bay during the week we were there I arose at 0600, then 0500, then finally 0400 before I could find a decent position....It was at this point that I realized people were staking out chairs the night before!
Solution: I have seen this solution applied at 2 other resorts and I would urge Seashore Bay (and any other resort for that matter) to do the same....to wit: signs were posted at all Palapas, Beach Beds etc..."Belongings left unattended for more that 30 minutes will be moved to the lost and found". Sounds simplistic but no one was playing the towel game and there was always available chairs.

Summary:
We had a great time and found this resort to be very good value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Gadsden, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is an older resort about to go through some major renovations. It is very QUAINT....I love the resort as is and it was explained to me that some beautiful trees will be torn down to build a huge pool. This is sad, but I can see why they would want a bigger pool...the existing pools are nice, but small. Everything was very clean, beds were comfy, restaurants were clean and I didn't have any meal that wasn't beyond my expectations...I had read in other reviews that the food was all salty...I dreaded that because I am not a huge fan of salty...but I had NOTHING that was too salty...everything was cooked to perfection that I had...
The staff was outstanding....Noell, Lotoya, Eric(grounds) , O'Ryan, and Joseph at the bar and others that I cannot remember their names. All employees were awesome...Our television had a busted speaker and we called to let them know and within a few minutes we had a new TV brought to our room....TOTALLY UNEXPECTED!!
My ONLY complaint was the hot water in our shower....Not any!! I took cool showers each day and I am not a cool water type person...I need hot water when I shower...Call me a wus or whatever, but I don't like cold showers..My husband didn't mind, but I didn't like it at all....No matter what time of the day I showered, no hot water.....so if you are like me and don't like taking cool showers, do not go here....If it doesn't bother you, then go here and you will love it...We didn't call the front desk about this no hot water thing, so I don't know the reason....could have been fixed but I didn't want to complain to them....I would definitely go back if they do promise hot water problem is fixed.. Our room was 3rd(top floor). I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Otherwise.....totally great resort in the best location on 7 mile beach...

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the beach. No more than a 2 minute walk from any room...I read reviews about...
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My original review (which was fair at 3 stars, in my opinion) was removed at the request of the resort because it supposedly contained "the reported opinions/experience of others." I think it was taken down because of an incident we observed regarding the hot tub. I included it because I think it's an important safety issue for parents to be aware of. In this version I'll try to rephrase that paragraph to meet Trip Advisor guidelines.

So...the safety issue...While sitting by the pool we observed an incident involving an adolescent turning on the jets in the hot tub. It seemed chlorine gas had built up in the jets. This can cause some serious damage, but the boy looked like he recovered just fine. In any case I'll never let my small children near a hot tub that I haven't personally maintained, and I would recommend exercising caution when using the hot tub at Seashore Bay.

Overall though, the hotel has huge potential for greatness. The beach is amazing, there are so many hard-working and talented people on staff, and the food is very good. As it is now though, there are many kinks that need to be ironed out, and some inconsistencies. For example, the "orange juice" at breakfast is Sunny-D or something like that. Orange-colored corn syrup drink. But at the bar there's fresh papaya for fruit smoothies. Another example would be the sheets on our bed--they felt poly-blend to me, but the washcloths were Egyptian cotton.

One other piece of advice for parents would be for the Italian restaurant. The soup and pasta courses are considered separate, so unless you want to spend 2+ hours at dinner with small children, be careful about ordering 3-4 separate "courses," (i.e., soup for yourself, pasta for your kids, and then entrees). Sorry I'm not explaining it well...the soup will come out first, then the pasta when you're done with the soup, then after the kids have eaten the pasta, your entrees will arrive. This is just how they've been trained to do it I guess. Service is already on the slow side, so do yourself a favor and just order everyone at the table an entree. Or just stick to the buffet restaurant, Palms. It's really good. I noticed a couple people here on Trip Advisor mentioned the food being too salty but I only noticed that with one dish (the ox-tail stew). It was so freaking delicious we still ate 2 bowls. We had it the night of the beach party, which is not to be missed!

One more thing--bring Benadryl just in case...it's not stocked in the gift shop. The gentleman who worked in the shop asked his wife to bring it from Montego Bay. When the service is good here, it's very very good.

Last year we fell in love with the Karisma brand after staying at Azul Fives in Playa del Carmen. It's apples and oranges comparing the two resorts...Seashore Bay one has one of the best beaches I've ever been to (reminded me of Grace Bay in Turks & Caicos), and your room is a stone's throw from the ocean. Soon it will be amazing, I'm sure...but it will be priced accordingly unfortunately. As they are now, the rooms are sort of on the dingy side. The bathrooms were a little gross...some scum in the jacuzzi tub and staining. It's a trade off.

The coffee was our only other big gripe...coffee service was way too slow in the morning. Taking 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee is just not acceptable. One morning my husband eventually got up and helped himself, getting a "that's for me to do, mon" from the waiter. Oh, and there is currently only one bar. We tipped all the time but service is still going to be slow at peak times with only one bar on property. It would probably be smart to bring a big insulated cup or something, and avoid the bar right before lunch (12:30) and dinner (6:30).

Anyway, I'd still recommend the resort if you have reasonable expectations as far as the quality of the rooms, and go into it knowing that it's a work in progress. But in my opinion it's currently priced too high ($750 per couple per night on Orbitz seems out of line for what you're getting). I suspect Seashore Bay is on its way to being pure perfection...but by then it will probably be out of our budget!

Room Tip: 4101 (corner 1-bd suite) on first floor was super convenient with kids
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at this resort from January 26th to February 2nd with four lady friends. It was the first time there for three of the ladies and a return visit for two of us. For the two of us making a return visit we were a little concerned of changes made by the new management. "No Worries"
The new staff is friendly and anxious to accommodate your every need or request. The food was better than before; the beautiful grounds still perfectly maintained; rooms spotless and just steps from the beach with magnificant views of sunrise and sunset. We love the small size of this resort and hope planned expansion won't ruin it's uniqueness. Looking forward to returning and would recommend this resort to family and friends. We ended our stay with a private "Birthday Dinner" on the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was a great place to spend a week in the sun. Everything was top notch. The food, drinks, entertainment were all perfect. The rooms although old were always spotless. This resort is a perfect size where its not too big. The staff is as friendly as can be and would go there just for the people. I cant say enough about the staff. They go out of their way to make you happy. The cooks will make you things not on the menu, the bartenders will always make sure you like your drink and everyone you walk by will always greet you with a smile, a hello, and ask how you are doing. The beaches are great. Once you get to know the locals along the beach they will for the most part leave you alone. Either way they are all fun to talk to and get to know. A few nice shops just down the beach as well. A few staff that made the trip the best: Vinton (Bartender), Kevon (Cook), O' Bryane, and most of all Novelette. She was in charge of all the activities throughout the week there and she was very friendly. She always tried to get everyone involved and was never pushy about it. You would often see her mingling with people and would even come sit and talk with us daily to make sure we were having a good time. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Campbellford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed at this small resort from January 21-30th. Best holiday ever. Room where clean with a beautiful view of the ocean and close to the beach. The sunsets where amazing.
From the restaurant staff,cleaning staff,life guards and grounds keepers all went out of their way to greet you or assist you in any way. You where truely welcomed by everyone.
The food was great from the beach bar, buffet or the A la Cartes. Get selection of everything. Breakfast, you where always greeted by Margaret who was willing to make you anything.
The bar was busy by times, but well managed.While at the bar there was JUNIOR who always called you by name and greeted you with a big smile. He is truely asset to Seashore.
The beach was the best in Negril. It was raked daily thanks to Devado and the rest of the crew. We never used the pools as the ocean was crystal clear.
Hoping to come back soon and afford the changes that are coming.
Bob & Sue

Room Tip: Better view from the second and third floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom suite the week of Feb 10 to 17th - Room was large, clean and comfortable - housekeeping did a fabulous job of keeping it well stocked and clean every day - for all of the people on here who complain about what time the room gets cleaned? who cares - you are on vacation - I dont understand why that even matters to anyone.
The food was excellent all week, there was something for everyone - we ate at all of the restaurants and beach grill, all were very good - beach grill wasn't slow at all - never more than 5 minutes for freshly made burgers/wraps and fries - I think that is perfectly normal.(not sure what others are actually expecting?)
Yes, the one bar is busy - but they do their best to get to everyone - we found if you stood near the blenders or beer pump, they noticed you sooner.. it was never that long of a wait though...so no big deal.
The lobby and grounds were inpeccable, the service for the most part was really great - although we really didn't request all that much - the coffee in the lobby 24/7 was a nice touch for us early risers.
My only complaint of our entire week there would be of other guests there and not of the resort itself - there is a long term guest that is there for 4 months who thinks he owns the place - has an entire area on the beach reserved all to himself (in one of the only shaded spots on that beach ) it is towelled off day and night with all of his belongs being kept there all night, (some up the tree!) as well as reserved 6 chairs (for 2 people????) -we even saw him changing his clothing out there, which ,as it was directly in front of our room in building 5, wasn't really appreciated. He has a room there and should change and keep his items in his room, as the rest of us do -we are paying guests - and it made that area of the beach look junky with all of his stuff ... I did send a note to management about it while we were there, but I think its unlikely anything will be done about it. There also seemed to be a few other guests that were getting "special" treatment and had umbrellas and certain spots on the beach reserved for the entire week we were there - the fact that the resort allowed this was disappointing to me...I sure hope they improve the place in that aspect.

but other than that - it was money well spent - a wonderful location, resort and holiday - I'd certainly go back but pray that man is no longer living under the tree in front of building 5 - lol

tip: bring some bug spray for your ankles, the sand flies bit - alot....

Room Tip: Building 5 has a wonderful beach view (minus the old man living under the tree lol) - suites with...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Seashore Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!