“Great resort for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #36 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Livingston, TN
“Great resort for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I have been coming to Jamaica for that past 20 years. We decided a year ago that for our 30th anniversary we would bring our adult children to Negril to show them all the places we have talked about over the years. We researched resorts and found the Grand Pineapple. It is right in the middle of Long Beach, affordable and perfect for what we needed.

Three weeks after we booked the resort, they announced they were closing. In the following few months, the parent company Sandals moved us to two different resorts and finally back to Grand Pineapple when they announced they were reopening. (Because of the treatment we received from Sandals we will never book with them again)

After reading message boards prior to our trip, I heard that Grand Pineapple had overbooked for our week (spring break) and were moving people to another resort. I messaged the manager to make sure we received the rooms we booked and paid for. He told me to message him a week before we left. When I messaged him a week before departure, he replied that their reservationist would be in touch. I waited 3 days with no contact. I messaged him again and he said he thought it had been taken care of. I finally heard from the reservationist the day before we were to be in Negril. She told me our three rooms had been upgraded from beachfront manor to beachfront cottages. That's great....but we have booked 4 rooms instead of three. There wasn't enough time to straighten this our before we arrived. I would deal with it when we got there.

Once we arrived, check in was fairly simple. They had upgraded all four rooms to beachfront cottage, however all four rooms had 2 double beds and we had booked king size. (Did I mention it was our anniversary?) Oh well.......at least we were in Jamaica!

The resort was beautiful and well manicured. The rooms were clean, but dated. No worries!

Many staff members were excellent and worthy of mention. Gvarhi, Bethune and Waynesworth were our favorites and gave excellent service. There was one female bartender that I won't mention by name that was not pleasant one day. But she must have been having a bad day because most of the time she was nicer. Most of the staff gave excellent service. We did see the manager a few times. We usually saw him at the buffet filling his plate.

The food was very good. Most of our group wished there was more Jamaican food such a jerk chicken/pork more often, But there was always something that everyone thought was delicious.

There was very little to do at the resort after dinner. Most of the guests seemed to go to bed early. Most of our group were in their 20's and were ready to dance and party into the late hours. This wasn't an option unless you were off the resort property. The bar closed at midnight.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip! However, little of that had to do with the resort. We were with the people we love in a place that we love (Negril).

Will we return to the Grand Pineapple? Probably not. But since we were paying for eight people on this trip, it was an affordable all inclusive. The Grand Pineapple was perfect for our needs for this trip, but don't know that we will be bringing a group this size back to Jamaica. When my wife and I return in the fall it will be at a higher end all inclusive where we can dance late into the night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I’m happy that you were able to have an enjoyable stay and wonderful room upgrade during your vacation spent with us. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during the booking process before your stay. It seems we were experiencing some communication challenges and have since been able to address and correct these errors. Our goal is always to ensure that we are providing the best in both service and quality; from booking all the way to check-in and check-out. Therefore, your feedback helps with our improvement process.

We thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back for a stay that will exceed your expectations in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Minehead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

LOVED the Grand Pineapple and Negril beach. Spent two wonderful relaxing weeks there in Feb/March this year with my two sister in laws. Would definitely go back. Had a bit of a hiccup at first as we were put into Garden Manor rooms. Not nice at all, but then we were moved to garden cottages after a bit of moaning to the very helpful and friendly manager Alexander. Garden cottages and beach cottages are lovely with balcony or terrace. The food was great. I'd only been all inclusive once before to a big chain hotel and hadn't been impressed so was pleasantly surprised by the food at GP. I think thats what makes GP so lovely is that its fairly small, the staff get to know you and are very polite and helpful. The bar staff are good fun especially the lovely Marvette. And Ghavri .And Waynesworth who should definitely be on the stage !!!
We met and made some lovely friends while there and had a truly wonderful time.
Negril beach is quite a busy place so not a secluded,romantic carribbean beach like some so it depends what youre going for. The excellent security staff make sure youre not hassled at all. Devon, Henry and all the others couldnt be more helpful. We loved it !!!

Room Tip: Garden side quieter. Dont get booked into Garden Manor rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril and that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you again.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the resort 6 - 18 March. The room we booked was Manor Room, Garden side. Unfortunately, it was not one of the refurbished rooms and overlooked the car park and road rather than the garden and the standard of the facilities fell below 3 star in our opinion. We did make our concerns known to the hotel and to our tour rep and we were moved after 2 nights to a lovely cottage on the beach side. We subsequently met with other holidaymakers who had similarly been disappointed with these particular rooms. However, all of the staff at the resort were amazing, providing excellent service always with a friendly smile. The Cottage room where we spent the remainder of our holiday in was comfortable, particularly the beds, cleaned well (although cleaned very late in the afternoon on changeover days), and lovely Blue Mountain coffee was supplied daily for the in room coffee machine. The food provided in the buffet was of good quality and lots of variety with fish, meat and vegetarian dishes daily and seafood on several occasions. We enjoyed a special lobster meal for two one evening on the beach, and I would thoroughly recommend booking this. Although we had a lobster meal at Catcha Falling Star also, the GP chefs meal was the best! The hotel was full whilst we were there, but there were always plenty of beach beds for everyone. We went out on the Hobie cat, took a snorkelling trip at a small extra charge up at Sandals, and I had a massage and reflexology at the Spa and commissioned a wood carving from Courtney who visits the GP most days. The staff go out of their way to get to know you and help. They will even join in a game of pool or table tennis, provided they are not busy. Most of the holidaymakers were American or Canadian, but there were also some German guests and a handful of fellow Brits. Many of the guests are returning guests drawn to the great atmosphere and lovely beach facilities. We have had many holidays in the Caribbean, and whilst we have stayed at better beaches and fancier places, this experience was one of our best and ultimately most relaxing holiday ever made possible by the great staff and management team throughout the resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Grand Pineapple Negril. We always want to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and satisfying stay with us and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time visiting our resort. We hope to see you again.

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I spent my BD with my daughter at the Grand Pineapple from 02/23-03/01.We travel x2 a year and have been coming to Jamaica for 18yrs.This was the best vacation ever! We have stayed on the 7 mile beach before but Grand Pineapple's customer service is no doubt the best that I have ever had in this country. I wont remember everyone's name but will have to mention a few. The front desk ladies(can only remember Antionette) and gentlemen greeted us upon arrival, with cocktails and smiles.We upgraded to beach front with no worries mon, within minutes we were checked in! The cottage was quaint and very clean,housekeeping always available. Bar Staff- Tenise, Mar Mar, Victor-never had to wait for drinks, always was greeted with smiles. Servers-Nicholas, Joseph, and several ladies treated us like we were royalty, no kidding! Conrad, Courtney(the carver) Patrick, security(wonderful)James(cook) I just cant say enough about these people.Ricardo put our chairs out w/towels each morning, without us asking.Everyone was so respectful to us. Their answer to any of our request was "no worries" what a breath of fresh air. Locals on the beach friendly, Alfreds next door(bonus)best beach location on the 7 mile beach, by far! We have booked our trip for July, Cant wait to see my Jamaican family again!! Love you guys and see you soon!!..Mamma and Lori- from USA

Room Tip: They have cottages across the street, nice but we are beach people. Beach cottages a must!! So close...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm glad you had such an amazing vacation with us. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and It is always our pleasure to serve. I'll be sure to send this post to our staff. They all will be happy to see your review. See you in July!

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Words can't explain how awesome this resort is! From the moment of arrival, front desk staff is friendly and made sure we had our beach front cottage as requested! The rooms are small but quaint..and a little porch for you to sit at your leisure. Your in Jamaica.......the room should be the last of your worries. We arrived on my mothers birthday and thanks to all the lovely staff, the celebation lasted for 8 days! Conrad one of the managers was awesome and made sure we had our wine every nite, even when they ran out! Mar Mar and her cutie coworker, cant remember his name, worked the bar during the day and we never had to wait for our beverages. Jamaican Rum and pineapple juice! My fav drink of the week. Red Stripe, wine and other fruity cocktails were also available. The food was great. Not too much like the high end resorts...They serve great food with a nice variety.. BEACH BEACH BEACH...the best part of the resort. Your on the 7 mile beach...nothing else to say but STUNNING! Big Mike one of the locals greets you with a smile everyday. Ricordo from the resort had our towels on our chair everymorning with a flower! He is a gem :)) Dont be worried about locals....no one offered us drugs....instead it was fresh fruit, lobsters and home made beef or chicken patties. Doesnt hurt to buy anything from them.....respect them, they will respect you. A simple YES or NO is all you need to say! If you want to feel the culture of Jamaica...look no further. Pineapple Beach has everything you need and more. The chef James who is no longer there, as well as everyone else from the kitchen staff, will prepare just about anything you want from the grill...Courtney the carver is there daily to carve or make anything you want!!! His work is awesome..There was a local named Sugar who took us to Ricks Cafe for $20 roundtrip....he will wait or come back, whatever you want! There are "No Worries" in Jamaica....My 10th time there and cant wait to go back in July. If you want to kick off your shoes, relax and see a beautiful sunset every evening.....you must go to Pineapple Beach Resort. Although I am unable to name everyone at this resort, I cant express how wonderful the staff is.....ALL OF THEM were wonderful and catering to my mother and I......Keep in mind when your there...the beach is the place to be. Beach parties......Jamaican food.....Alfreds next door is a cool spot to chill and relax! No need to leave the resort or wear shoes! You can have your feet in the sand your entire vacatioin!! Doesnt that sound too good to be true! Its not......this was the best vacation I have been on and July can't come soon enough............Miss all of you at Grand Pineapple and "soon be back" :))))))

Room Tip: I would suggest requesting the Beach Front Cottage.....close to the beach!! Never saw the pool....Y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for posting this great review. I’m delighted to know that your mother had such a wonderful stay and memorable birthday trip! At Grand Pineapple Negril, we take pride in providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff did just that. It will be a pleasure to see you again in July. See you soon!

Houston Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Pineapple for the first time Feb.28-Mar.5. It was a birthday gift to myself and I couldn't have been more pleased. The greeting when stepping from the shuttle made me feel at home right away and you can't beat the location!

Check in: Quick and efficient. Marsha took care of me with a pleasant smile and informed me that my room would be available in 10 minutes. She then escorted me to the bar while pointing out where my room would be. Shortly after my first beverage she came and took me to my room.

Rooms: Room was nice, clean, quaint and cool. I loved the charm of having a sitting area all my own where I could enjoy the beautiful tropical scenery. The bed was very comfortable to me because I took a quick refreshing nap but awakened in time to enjoy the first sunset.

Dining: Dinner was delicious every evening as was lunch in the afternoon. I only made breakfast a couple of times and it was good as well. The staff is amazingly attentive and friendly. (I hope I get her name right!) Annisia, Jackie, and Nicholas made each dining experience very pleasant. Hard working and always smiling!

Bar: My plan was to try something different each time I ordered. That was a little challenging because once you try a drink they are so good you'll want another! Oh I'm bad on names when drinks are involved but Tenice? and Ghavri I remember but there were a few that I'm drawing a blank. They were ALL wonderful though and excellent in their bartending.

Beach: Perfect lazy spot. # of my five days had rough seas so watersports were not an option. No problem. Plenty of chairs and sun. I've seen some complaints about the locals trying to sell goods to patrons. Security was there all of the time and if they miss someone just tell them 'No thanks'. It may take a couple of times but it really wasn't a problem.

Watersports and Tours: I wanted to take a sunset cruise Sunday March 3rd for my birthday but when I walked into the Island Routes shed on the beach Randeno informed me that I had missed it on Thursday (the day I arrived). He was a character and added a lot of laughter to my trip! I didn't do any tours this time around but I won't forget Island Routes anytime soon! Also, I cannot swim but wanted to get in the water. I went in for a bit and he went to get Jeffery from watersports to make sure I didn't panic. It helped and Jeffery was one cool dude!

Nightlife: There isn't much activity on the property so you're either going to have to be your own party or you will venture off to other places in the area. There was live music one night while I was there but I often miss things after dinner (nap before going out!). As stated before I arrived on Thursday which is ladies night at The Jungle. One of the BEST things about the location of GP is it's in walking distance to every place I frequent while in Negril except for Rick's! So I walked to the Jungle, Alfred's is right next door, Bourbon Beach and Roots Bamboo are also close by! Perfect, unless you REALLY drink a lot! ;-)

Overall, this was probably the best trip I've had out of the 8 times I have gone to Jamaica. Great vibe, great location and great people! I feel I got more than my money's worth. And a plus was seeing the general manager daily having lunch in the dining area with the rest of us and not stashed away in some stuffy office. That says a lot about him and how he wants his guests to feel while visiting. So Kudos to you Alexander Pike! No doubt I will return to the Grand Pineapple on my next trip to home away from home!

Room Tip: The garden side was across the road and I never got to see it. I was told it was quieter there. Room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for posting about your amazing stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so glad that we were able to make your trip and birthday so wonderful. It´s great to know that we were able to meet your expectation and make this an incredible adventure for you! Come back to your second home soon! :-)

tucson,az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at GP 2/16 to 2/23......relaxed, clean, efficient and staff so friendly and genuine. Yes, if you want 'fancy, you will be disappointed, but rooms are super clean, A/C works well, food is ample and good for trying regional Jamaican fare....lots of veggies, chicken, pork, fruit-- though not a huge amount of seafood.

You can't beat the bar-excellent drinks made to your specifications, beer was Red Stripe on tap and always refeshing on a warm beach. The beach is not huge (apparently a hurricane swiped some depth from the beach) but it's fine for the size of the resort, and enough chaises for all. You cannot beat the beauty of the water--pristine and glorious. Hated to leave-the staff is really that dear. Oh well, here's hoping a return to the Grand Pineapple is in our future...I know we met many resort returnees for whom a trip to GP was an annual or semi annual event--yah mon!

Room Tip: we stayed in beachside manor--close to the road but not bad, and I am a light sleeper. Wanted to be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Grand Pineapple Negril! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. We are so happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again.

Enjoy your day.

Been to Grand Pineapple Beach Negril? Share your experiences!