“Tropical Paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Van Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Van Villa
Save Saved
You added Van Villa to your Saves list
Negril P.O. Box 2587, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #26 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Tropical Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I enjoyed staying at Van Villa for the first time. The property is clean with a garden walk at the front entrance that is beautifully manicured. There are several units that are separate apartments and some units have a shared kitchen. I stayed in a unit on the 3rd floor that had a king size bed, a large closet, full bathroom and kitchenette with appliances. It had an iron grill gate with a strong lock, then another door with multiple locks. So the unit felt very safe and the location gave us a lot of privacy. There's a very nice lady on the property that does the housekeeping. She responded quickly to any requests. We received plenty of towels and our room was very clean. There was cable TV with all of our favorite shows from the states. Wifi is available on the property. The strongest signal is at the front area. There is a business at the front of the property with apartments on the upper level. The neighborhood is developing... You will see large houses that are lived in, while parts of them are still under construction. Van Villa is off the main road but near to beach road (Norman Manley BLVD) where most of the hotels are. It is just a few mins away from the beach. Just a minute or two from the villa is a plethora of businesses, including street vendors with fresh produce. Many taxi's pass by so you can get around very easily. Juta Tours charges $25 per person for an airport shuttle transfer to Van Villa. This vacation rental is a great alternative to the hotels that charge a lot but give you a little. I felt like I had more space to move around at Van Villa, and the quality of the property is better than the popular hotels in the area that charge more. If you are looking to get more for your money, this is a good choice. They have options for all different budgets, whether you are looking for a hostel or a private hideaway. I will definitely return!

Stayed July 2014

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have stayed at Van Villa 3 times and will return again and again. Van Villa is a guest house with signature Jamaican wooden furnishings and typical flowery seat cushions, curtains and bedspreads, located in an alley behind the Devon House Ice Cream shop in the town. The location is right smack dabb in the middle of town so you are not far from local restaurants, grocery stores, banks, clubs, the pharmacy, Burger King, local vendors, etc. Thought you are not on the beach, it is a short walk across the round about and a small bridge.

My 1st impression when I drove up was "this alley looks dicey". The Alley is a part paved part dirt road that has some wooden stalls and shade trees on the right and some wooden shacks with guys playing dominos and a couple of houses on the left. The many times I have been there I have never had a problem with anyone there. I've even made a few friends who recognize me every time I return by shouting out "EMPRESS!" when they see me, I love it. On certain days the wooden stalls are occupied by local venders selling everything from fish, fruits and vegetables clothing, toys, slippers, Music CD's you name it. It is a farmers market of sorts.( Being from Brooklyn NY that's the only thing I can compare it to LOL.) At night the alley is lit but dark in some areas. You would have to judge for yourself if that would be a problem for you. I would walk up and down the alley alone at night and felt comfortable, but then again I'm from Brooklyn : )

The owners Ms Vilma and her husband Desmond are very friendly and laid back. I felt very comfortable and safe. Their son Desmond Jr. is very friendly he drove me and my friend to the Hi-Lo so we could shop for groceries. My friend and I had too many bags to walk back so we called him and he picked us back up and didn't ask for money or anything.

The rooms are very basic with comfortable beds, air conditioning hot water with good water pressure, screened window, cable TV with premium channels. The property is secure and has iron gates before your entry way with heavy pad locks to lock the gate. The rooms are clean and comfy. I felt like I was a true Jamaican living in an apartment there.

This place is perfect if you are on a tight budget. Ms Vilma is very reasonable and will work with you. We didn't have any major problems with the accommodations.

Room Tip: I prefer the kitchenette because they have more space.