“A little bit of ghetto on the beach” 2 of 5 stars

Sunset on the Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #67 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Denver, Colorado
“A little bit of ghetto on the beach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

First of all this wasn't where we were suppose to stay but because they had sold our room at their sister hotel Sunset on the Cliffs, which we had already booked five months in advance and pre-paid for, we were forced to stay here. We arrived at around 7 pm. The room door was open. There were no sheets on the beds or towels. We had a dinner to go to so we had to place our items in our friends room. When we got back the room was finally cleaned. The place is definitely not secure. It appears very easy to break into with flimsy screens. The curtains are see-through so don't expect too much privacy. They only give you two towels. No wash cloths or floor towel. There is no shampoo or conditioner, only a small soap for hand washing. The AC worked for us which was definitely nice. The room was loud and you could hear everything going out outside. I wish I would have brought more towels from home and ear plugs. The front desk is not accommodating so don't even think about asking for more - they basically say they don't have more. The beds are uncomfortable - think about springs in your back all night. You get a single sheet and bed cover (which I'm sure is rarely washed). The TV worked and had a good variety of channels. The beach was nice and not very crowded. However if you are there when they have had a lot of rain you will get spill over of river water in the ocean and it gets gross and brown (this is something that doesn't happen to the resorts farther down the beach). The breakfast is a joke - one piece of toast, small muffin, few fruit - coffee and juice. If I could book this vacation again I would spend more money on a nicer, safer hotel that seems to care about their clientele.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be safer. The garden levels definitely ARE NOT.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset on the Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
We are incredibly sorry that you had such a bad experience. We were having some problems with our booking system, which is why your room was given to another guest accidentally. We will work hard to ensure all our bookings are honored.

We will be getting more towels for guests. We will also work with our housekeeping team to make sure that all rooms are clean before guests check-in. We will also speak to our front desk staff to remind them to be respectful and helpful at all times.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Citrus Heights, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The place IS NOT SAFE. A woman opened our locked door at about 3am. My roommate who was in the bed closest to the door woke up and asked her what she was doing. The next morning we found out our neighbors in the next bungelo were rob. Whoever it was even opened their supposedly secure safe and took everything. I thought the owner could do a LOT to improve the place. Shower water pressure VERY inconsistant. Hot then cold the hot in seconds. It may just be the Jamaican people but everyone EXPECTS a tip even for simple directions.
Nice location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
We are so sorry about your experience. We are installing security cameras throughout the hotel and increasing security.

After investigating, we found that this situation was a misunderstanding. The woman in your room at 3am was a fellow tourist who opened your door by accident. It appears that your room door was actually unlocked, or hadn’t been locked securely. However, we agree that this shouldn’t have happened. It is true that your neighbor’s safe was broken into. We are extremely sorry this happened and compensated these guests financially for their losses. Once again, we are very sorry.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

On December 23rd, 2013 at around 4:00am our room (room #1006), and 4 other rooms, were robbed while we slept. THESE ROOMS ARE NOT SAFE! There are screen windows right next to the doors. The thieves only had to peel back the screen and reach through the wood slats to unlock the doors and undo the security chain. We also think that we may have been gassed since we were light-headed when we awoke, and none of the 12 people that were robbed woke up while the criminals were in our rooms. Police reports were filed, so this account can be verified.

Stay somewhere else!!! There are other, more secure options for the same price in Negril.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are secure, they all have screen windows right next to the doors!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for your experience.

As I noted in response to a previous review, we are installing security cameras and increasing security. We are also working on the safety of our windows in response to what happened to you and other guests.

The safety of our guests is paramount. We are sorry you had this experience and we take full responsibility.
Southern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is a review for the restaurant only. I was staying elsewhere, on the beach, and the Sunset Beach Restaurant was recommended by a local.

I stopped in for lunch. I had curried conch that was greasy and over-salted, with a side of shredded cabbage topped with a glob of Thousand Island dressing; the rice and peas were obviously left over from the day before.

The waiter repeatedly asked my breasts where they were staying; getting no response he changed his tactic and badgered them for my name. Seriously... the waiter was soooooo creepy. I have been to Jamaica many times, by myself, but this waiter was overly-disgusting. I could not wait to get out of this place!

Single female travelers should not even slow down in front of this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
We agree that what our waiter said to you is unacceptable. We will have a meeting with our staff to make it clear that female guests are to be treated with respect at all times. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed for two weeks and enjoyed it. I went with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Perfect location clean rooms and friendly helpful staff. Only complaint is the bar was poorly stalked not staffs prob so dont take it out on them they work very hard. They have no prob keeping bottles that u provide on hand for your needs. Shout out to colin and latoya for there exceptional sevice. Security also kept two single women safe and protected. Thanks fun holiday i will def return.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We didn't have a reservation to this hotel as I traveled with my Local friends. We picked this place along the way. It was a great experience. I would definitely stay here again. Our room was clean, the beds were ok, bathroom was a little outdated but you are in Jamaica and not in a fancy resort so it did the purpose. We even had a balcony :)
The beach is nice, more quiet than further down. The bar right at the beach was a fabulous place to get your sunset cocktails. I would recommend to try the dirty banana. I had a great experience at this hotel and I would definitely recommend to anybody who wants to have a budget getaway but still taste the real Jamaican vibe. We had breakfast and dinner at a local restaurant called Juicy J's. We had ackee and saltfish and a fantastic curry chicken and oxtail.
I wish I could eat there every day :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My second stay here was early October 2013. I stayed 4 nights and had a great time. The staff was delightful to chat with, and the housekeeping staff were top notch, ensuring I had clean towels, and my room cleaned daily. The continental breakfast was a little disappointing. It was a plate with one small muffin 2 triangles of watermelon and 1 slice of toast. The last time I visited, the breakfast was set up buffet style, which was much nicer. Overall, I really liked the property and will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sunset on the Beach Resort? Share your experiences!