“Comfort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Hopewell, Hanover, Jamaica
“Comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

A very nice and relaxing place to get away from all work and feel at home,I enjoy my stay here and will come back again whenever i need somewhere to relax and have a peace of mine.Its close to the beach and also to the nerby town its a nice hotel and it has nice staff thanks again and will continue supporting you.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

AWFUL No SWIMMING pool no activities onsite oh except Karaoke.Old appliances that didnt work..Could only get food at breakfast lunch and dinner stove in room sucked.The workers worked hard,not their fault that the rooms were a Hot mess.The best part its on the beach.If changes were madeand updated.Only I blender,Im not a drinker so it was frustrsting.WHO DOESNT SERVE COFFEE BEFORE BREAKFAST?THIS PLACE there were almost 60 f'olks in group and It was plain unacceptable
.people came off the beach onto the Property the workers were nice.One bar one blender

• Stayed January 2013
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I haven't visited JA in 17 yrs (raising family, school, & work) & I waited for this? First, I repeatedly requested a face to face with June (owner). Never got it! Think she didn't want to hear what I had to say? So, guess I'll have to say it here: THE MOST HORRIBLE VACATION EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD (NOT JUST IN JAMAICA BUT ANYWHERE)! I've never been anywhere where I was afraid to step in the tub or had to consider sleeping in my clothes (No, I'm not kidding!) But thank God for the staff (they were the ONLY ones who made our stay bearable).
In a nutshell: old, musty, run down rooms, & our bathroom smelled like urine! Initially no hot water & then just a trickle that went from scalding to icy continually flip flopping w/o warning. Dirty sheets and bedspreads, mildew/mold spots on the pillows, hard beds.. Holes in the tile surrounding the shower head. Filthy grout. Ants, ants, ants and general all around dirtiness!
I demanded clean sheets/bedspreads & a change of pillows! Staff worked hours to fix hot water situation, but we only got what you read earlier. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And still no face to face or apology from owner (June Romeo). We turned down an offer of change to sister hotel (The Cliffs) b/c it really wasn't any better...plus it was too far away, not on the beach, & we'd be at their mercy for shuttle service back and forth. Still no face to face or apology from owner June.
FALSE ADVERTISING! ALL INCLUSIVE MEANS JUST THAT...ALL INCLUSIVE! 3 meals random start & stop times. Only one skimpy plate per customer breakfast & dinner. Same old 3 menu choices for lunch daily. Trip companion asked for a cup of coffee after breakfast was over, she was told she'd have to pay $1.50 US. What??? I even understand paying $1 US for bottled water, but damn...We never felt satisfied or full. Did I mention we had to share tiny cups of salad dressing ("Because customers waste," we were told)? No regular tea, salad forks instead of dinner forks. Dirty drinking glasses. We poured our own juice (into tiny OJ glasses) out of jugs set on the table! Cheap butter tasted like lard! Box mix cakes for dessert. Yup, for real! Shortages abounded! And don't even get me started on the alcoholic beverages...nothing ever tasted like it was supposed to, "We ran out of tequila" (2 days in a row?) Stray cat & 2-3 dogs roaming around restaurant & beach ALL THE TIME! Rodent catchers? And still no June, still no June.
The smell of nearby ganja in the air from guests & locals (while we're eating meals, on the beach, in our room, etc.). Only one night of activity (Karaoke, fire eater). All other activities (except for the tired boom box at the bar) were off site and at our expense! No 24 hrs. lobby desk, room service, window openers (besides my fingers), hair dryers, gift shop, or newsstand as advertised, And still no June.
Some problems could be easily and inexpensively solved: a couple gallons of paint, wall plates for the light switches and electrical sockets, THOROUGH CLEANING, news sheets/towels, irons, $10 alarm clocks & working telephones in each room, THOROUGH CLEANING, tile repair, Manager that cares (yes, she was visible, but did not/would not address our concerns). THOROUGH CLEANING. And still no June.
Much respect, sympathy, & prayers go out to the staff. The way we witnessed June (on several occasions) speaking to you (in front of guests) was disgraceful! I hope you find better jobs elsewhere if that's what you want. Can't remember all your names (I'm sorry), but you all made our 6 night stay more tolerable. Ricardo, much love, baby! Any place would be happy to employ you! Thank you also to maintenance & the lady who cleaned our room. The beach was great. The loungers were old and very dirty.
Alright, I'm done. Yes, I read the reviews (too late to change my reservation). They were all over the place. TAKE THIS ONE AS ACCURATE & TRUE. I GAIN NOTHING BY TELLING LIES! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!! I also plan to report to the Jamaican Tourism Board. AND STILL NO JUNE...Maybe she went back to Baltimore (which wouldn't be such a bad thing).

Room Tip: If there were any such rooms, I never saw them.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Decent room for the price. I've been to this place twice. I enjoy the breakfast with Stacey. A short walk to the beach party on Sunday night at the public beach. They have parties here often. As a guest, you can attend for free. There are a few hut for those that want to avoid the sun. A few ladies from the yoga center across the street come by for breakfast and hang out on the beach all day. Water sports activities can be rented at the stand on the beach. No swimming pool or jacuzzi on site.

Room Tip: Only a few room with sea few
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
California, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The room was not ready when check in time came, room was not cleaned daily, they won't change our sheets daily, they did not have enough towels, breakfast was always late and cold, the toilet over flowed and it took an hour to get a plugger and I had to go search for a plugger from one of the maids and they did not come to clean up the bathroom and the maids are very very slow with cleaning the rooms, the beds were very hard, stains on the sheets and blankets. Good locate for beach access but I will not stay here again. I would rather pay more money for a nicer hotel, good service and a clean room daily. Don't waste your money go for a upgrade to a better hotel it will be worth it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The rooms are basic, clean, and spacious. The balcony is great. They are the last hotel on the beach and in walking distance to the town and closest to the Westend where the best restaurants are located. The best aspect of this property is the beach. Plenty of beach whereas many of the other private properties have minimal beach because they built their properties too close to the water. Security on the beach and at the front gate to ensure guests are safe and enjoying their stay. I love the beach and will stay here again. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoy the hotel since a few years 2 times a year and absolutely don't understand these bad reviews here. I always feel very welcome, I stayed in other hotels much more worse (even in 5 star hotels). The rooms do not have luxury furnishings but everything you need is available. In Jamaica, you can be happy if the hotels even have a TV. There is no donkey farm and no nude beach in the near as some alleged wrong.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica should inform in advance what to expect there! The conservation of nature is very important to most of the Jamaicans. So it can happen that you can hear even a dog, a cat, a pigeon, grilling or even a donkey (don't worry, also donkeys don't 'I-AAA' 24 hours a day, you may here him 2 times a night for a few seconds, not more). Anyone who can not cope will probably be better in Orlando or somewhere else! You certainly can not expect that every hotel has a doctor but who is able to read has an advantage: Hotel descriptions show if there is a doctor inside of the hotel or not.

Sunset on the Beach is the more expensive hotel. Enjoy if you get a free upgrade to the beach hotel! Normally, it would cost you much more than Sunset on the cliffs. For me, it's normal that I have to pay if I order a bottle of water, it's the same at home. I already had some extra wishes and asked friendly for it and they always helped me very nice. I never had to pay for it.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica need to expect real Jamaicans overthere! A Jamaican hotel worker doesn't look like the concierge in the 4Seasons New York. He don't need to! ...(this comment about the 'homeless' looking security guard is absolutely respectless.) If you need your well known everyday luxury you may have to go into one of the huge all inclusive resorts. There are doctors, flatscreens, and drink as much as you want. You will go back home without a realistic impression of Jamaica and you will need to pay much more money but if you feel better in your daily standards, it will be the better choice for you.

Anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation and who likes to know the Jamaican people and the area of Negril can spend wonderful days here. Also single-travellers are in good hands here. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, from reception to the gardeners and cooks to restaurant/bar. No exceptions! (And have not we all sometimes a bad day in life?!) June and Mr. Henry have always an open ear for their guests needs and do everything in order to provide them a very enjoyable vacationtime.

The restaurant by the sea has a great location, the beach is bigger and better than most other beach hotels, you'll find enough chairs and also shade and I think it's great that you can use both hotels. The Cliffs Hotel is much more quiet, has a fantastic seaview but who loves the beach and the life there will prefer Sunset on the Beach. On Sundays, the Jamaicans celebrate a Party in the near (1pm to 1am). Wednesday was always karaoke party in the hotel. (And if you don't like it: ear plugs help.)

In a few days I am back at the hotel, I count the days! Melvin, Stacey, Lloyd, Melissa, Robert, Chenece, Nicola, Kadisha and my good friend 'Greenie', the Rasta on the beach selling souvenirs for always a fair price. I can not name all the people that I like so much in Sunset on the Beach.

I know I'm going to spend happy days there again,will forget everyday life at home the second I arrive, meet friends and even if it rains I will have a lot of fun at the beachbar ... and if I once again miss my room key or forget my float, someone will save it for me again before I notice at all that I've forgotten it.

One more thing: Most Jamaicans are really very poor. Tip as a 'thank you for good service' is never required here, but it is very welcome and really helpful.

... and no, I do not work for the hotel, this is not a fake review, I'm just a guest of the hotel, I know it well and I always don't like to go back home.

Room Tip: Don't miss a trip with the Wild Thing Catamaran to the Half Moon Beach, Negril. And enjoy the ex...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset on the Beach Resort? Share your experiences!