“Sucked” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #69 of 91 Hotels in Negril
“Sucked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

AWFUL No SWIMMING pool no activities onsite oh except Karaoke.Old appliances that didnt work..Could only get food at breakfast lunch and dinner stove in room sucked.The workers worked hard,not their fault that the rooms were a Hot mess.The best part its on the beach.If changes were madeand updated.Only I blender,Im not a drinker so it was frustrsting.WHO DOESNT SERVE COFFEE BEFORE BREAKFAST?THIS PLACE there were almost 60 f'olks in group and It was plain unacceptable
.people came off the beach onto the Property the workers were nice.One bar one blender

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I haven't visited JA in 17 yrs (raising family, school, & work) & I waited for this? First, I repeatedly requested a face to face with June (owner). Never got it! Think she didn't want to hear what I had to say? So, guess I'll have to say it here: THE MOST HORRIBLE VACATION EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD (NOT JUST IN JAMAICA BUT ANYWHERE)! I've never been anywhere where I was afraid to step in the tub or had to consider sleeping in my clothes (No, I'm not kidding!) But thank God for the staff (they were the ONLY ones who made our stay bearable).
In a nutshell: old, musty, run down rooms, & our bathroom smelled like urine! Initially no hot water & then just a trickle that went from scalding to icy continually flip flopping w/o warning. Dirty sheets and bedspreads, mildew/mold spots on the pillows, hard beds.. Holes in the tile surrounding the shower head. Filthy grout. Ants, ants, ants and general all around dirtiness!
I demanded clean sheets/bedspreads & a change of pillows! Staff worked hours to fix hot water situation, but we only got what you read earlier. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And still no face to face or apology from owner (June Romeo). We turned down an offer of change to sister hotel (The Cliffs) b/c it really wasn't any better...plus it was too far away, not on the beach, & we'd be at their mercy for shuttle service back and forth. Still no face to face or apology from owner June.
FALSE ADVERTISING! ALL INCLUSIVE MEANS JUST THAT...ALL INCLUSIVE! 3 meals random start & stop times. Only one skimpy plate per customer breakfast & dinner. Same old 3 menu choices for lunch daily. Trip companion asked for a cup of coffee after breakfast was over, she was told she'd have to pay $1.50 US. What??? I even understand paying $1 US for bottled water, but damn...We never felt satisfied or full. Did I mention we had to share tiny cups of salad dressing ("Because customers waste," we were told)? No regular tea, salad forks instead of dinner forks. Dirty drinking glasses. We poured our own juice (into tiny OJ glasses) out of jugs set on the table! Cheap butter tasted like lard! Box mix cakes for dessert. Yup, for real! Shortages abounded! And don't even get me started on the alcoholic beverages...nothing ever tasted like it was supposed to, "We ran out of tequila" (2 days in a row?) Stray cat & 2-3 dogs roaming around restaurant & beach ALL THE TIME! Rodent catchers? And still no June, still no June.
The smell of nearby ganja in the air from guests & locals (while we're eating meals, on the beach, in our room, etc.). Only one night of activity (Karaoke, fire eater). All other activities (except for the tired boom box at the bar) were off site and at our expense! No 24 hrs. lobby desk, room service, window openers (besides my fingers), hair dryers, gift shop, or newsstand as advertised, And still no June.
Some problems could be easily and inexpensively solved: a couple gallons of paint, wall plates for the light switches and electrical sockets, THOROUGH CLEANING, news sheets/towels, irons, $10 alarm clocks & working telephones in each room, THOROUGH CLEANING, tile repair, Manager that cares (yes, she was visible, but did not/would not address our concerns). THOROUGH CLEANING. And still no June.
Much respect, sympathy, & prayers go out to the staff. The way we witnessed June (on several occasions) speaking to you (in front of guests) was disgraceful! I hope you find better jobs elsewhere if that's what you want. Can't remember all your names (I'm sorry), but you all made our 6 night stay more tolerable. Ricardo, much love, baby! Any place would be happy to employ you! Thank you also to maintenance & the lady who cleaned our room. The beach was great. The loungers were old and very dirty.
Alright, I'm done. Yes, I read the reviews (too late to change my reservation). They were all over the place. TAKE THIS ONE AS ACCURATE & TRUE. I GAIN NOTHING BY TELLING LIES! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!! I also plan to report to the Jamaican Tourism Board. AND STILL NO JUNE...Maybe she went back to Baltimore (which wouldn't be such a bad thing).

Room Tip: If there were any such rooms, I never saw them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Decent room for the price. I've been to this place twice. I enjoy the breakfast with Stacey. A short walk to the beach party on Sunday night at the public beach. They have parties here often. As a guest, you can attend for free. There are a few hut for those that want to avoid the sun. A few ladies from the yoga center across the street come by for breakfast and hang out on the beach all day. Water sports activities can be rented at the stand on the beach. No swimming pool or jacuzzi on site.

Room Tip: Only a few room with sea few
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
California, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The room was not ready when check in time came, room was not cleaned daily, they won't change our sheets daily, they did not have enough towels, breakfast was always late and cold, the toilet over flowed and it took an hour to get a plugger and I had to go search for a plugger from one of the maids and they did not come to clean up the bathroom and the maids are very very slow with cleaning the rooms, the beds were very hard, stains on the sheets and blankets. Good locate for beach access but I will not stay here again. I would rather pay more money for a nicer hotel, good service and a clean room daily. Don't waste your money go for a upgrade to a better hotel it will be worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The rooms are basic, clean, and spacious. The balcony is great. They are the last hotel on the beach and in walking distance to the town and closest to the Westend where the best restaurants are located. The best aspect of this property is the beach. Plenty of beach whereas many of the other private properties have minimal beach because they built their properties too close to the water. Security on the beach and at the front gate to ensure guests are safe and enjoying their stay. I love the beach and will stay here again. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoy the hotel since a few years 2 times a year and absolutely don't understand these bad reviews here. I always feel very welcome, I stayed in other hotels much more worse (even in 5 star hotels). The rooms do not have luxury furnishings but everything you need is available. In Jamaica, you can be happy if the hotels even have a TV. There is no donkey farm and no nude beach in the near as some alleged wrong.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica should inform in advance what to expect there! The conservation of nature is very important to most of the Jamaicans. So it can happen that you can hear even a dog, a cat, a pigeon, grilling or even a donkey (don't worry, also donkeys don't 'I-AAA' 24 hours a day, you may here him 2 times a night for a few seconds, not more). Anyone who can not cope will probably be better in Orlando or somewhere else! You certainly can not expect that every hotel has a doctor but who is able to read has an advantage: Hotel descriptions show if there is a doctor inside of the hotel or not.

Sunset on the Beach is the more expensive hotel. Enjoy if you get a free upgrade to the beach hotel! Normally, it would cost you much more than Sunset on the cliffs. For me, it's normal that I have to pay if I order a bottle of water, it's the same at home. I already had some extra wishes and asked friendly for it and they always helped me very nice. I never had to pay for it.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica need to expect real Jamaicans overthere! A Jamaican hotel worker doesn't look like the concierge in the 4Seasons New York. He don't need to! ...(this comment about the 'homeless' looking security guard is absolutely respectless.) If you need your well known everyday luxury you may have to go into one of the huge all inclusive resorts. There are doctors, flatscreens, and drink as much as you want. You will go back home without a realistic impression of Jamaica and you will need to pay much more money but if you feel better in your daily standards, it will be the better choice for you.

Anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation and who likes to know the Jamaican people and the area of Negril can spend wonderful days here. Also single-travellers are in good hands here. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, from reception to the gardeners and cooks to restaurant/bar. No exceptions! (And have not we all sometimes a bad day in life?!) June and Mr. Henry have always an open ear for their guests needs and do everything in order to provide them a very enjoyable vacationtime.

The restaurant by the sea has a great location, the beach is bigger and better than most other beach hotels, you'll find enough chairs and also shade and I think it's great that you can use both hotels. The Cliffs Hotel is much more quiet, has a fantastic seaview but who loves the beach and the life there will prefer Sunset on the Beach. On Sundays, the Jamaicans celebrate a Party in the near (1pm to 1am). Wednesday was always karaoke party in the hotel. (And if you don't like it: ear plugs help.)

In a few days I am back at the hotel, I count the days! Melvin, Stacey, Lloyd, Melissa, Robert, Chenece, Nicola, Kadisha and my good friend 'Greenie', the Rasta on the beach selling souvenirs for always a fair price. I can not name all the people that I like so much in Sunset on the Beach.

I know I'm going to spend happy days there again,will forget everyday life at home the second I arrive, meet friends and even if it rains I will have a lot of fun at the beachbar ... and if I once again miss my room key or forget my float, someone will save it for me again before I notice at all that I've forgotten it.

One more thing: Most Jamaicans are really very poor. Tip as a 'thank you for good service' is never required here, but it is very welcome and really helpful.

... and no, I do not work for the hotel, this is not a fake review, I'm just a guest of the hotel, I know it well and I always don't like to go back home.

Room Tip: Don't miss a trip with the Wild Thing Catamaran to the Half Moon Beach, Negril. And enjoy the ex...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

this was my first time in jamaica, so i decided to stay at the sister resort, Sunset on the cliffs. However on arrival in Montego bay I called th hotel ( Sunset on the Cliffs) only to be told by a very nice well spoken lady that Sunset on the cliffs was closed because the bar and the kitchen had to be closed. No explination as to what the cause of the closure, but that I was welcome to stay at the sister resort Sunset on the Beach and they were expecting me. I had booked a superior ocean view room at the Cliffs and i was assured that I would get the same when I got to the Beach location.

So imagine my dismay when i arrived at the Sunset on the Beach location to be told that my Superior ocean view room with my queen sized bed and all inclusive breakfast was not an option and I was getting a "garden view" room with double beds. I was told that if i did not like that option i was welcome to go up to the Sunset on the Cliffs location, sleep there and have travel arrangements made to ferry me to breakfast at the Beach location. All that travel for some food and a view was not worth it to me at that time and i was told i would have to wait until 4 days after my trip was over before i could get the room that i paid for. too make it worse, they did not even discount the price of my room for the inconvinience caused or offer any other ideas on how to fix my delima. They young lady at the counter was a very sweet and helpful individual but i felt exceptionally slighted. :(

The security guard then escorted me to my room, through a nonexistant garden, up stairs that could have used a few coats of paint and to my room. The view from the front door of my room was of a tangle of bush, over and undergrowth, Trees and rubbish left behind. On entering the room my heart dropped even more because everything in the room was OLD. The furniture looked like it came from someones grandmothers house, the beds from a dorm room with a quick slap of paint on them, the linen was clean but older than I am, rough and thin. The shelving in the front hallway closet was leaning and the safe lock came out of its housing when i put the key in it!!!!!! madness! The bathroom window had slats that were chipped and ill fitting with some sort of chicken wire over it to keep out lizards i am assuming and the chest of drawers had no properly fitting drawers and an strong musty smell. The air condition unit was working but a whole section of the bottom was broken off.

The television was a small one and was not working so they had to fetch another one and then get another remote for the sircondition and the Television because that was not working. Shouldnt this have been done before your guests get there? The door the balcony had a peep hole and a security chain which was fine but that type of door should be the main door entrance and the door to come into my room was the door that you should have on the balcony. But the room was clean and so was the bathroom so i was happy with that... at least.

The breakfast the next morning was lovely. i had the jamaican breakfast and my server Stacey was one of the sweetest persons i met. she was extremely attentive to me, i never had to ask her for refills or any type of service she was always there at my elbow asking me if i needed anything. She did all this while attending to 6 other patrons and never missed a beat. Pay this lady some more money and keep her year round please! i work in customer service and she definately can teach a class! i had Millicent the next day and she was fab as well, making sure I was comfortable and telling me about jamaica and where i could go. Both women were great, and made rough start at the hotel somewhat forgetable. However on the last day i was there the two guys that were serving that morning were not the best, people had to get up and go to the bar to get their own drinks, they forgot to give straws with the drinks and took up to 30 mins to serve my breakfast and forgot another woman all together and over charged another guest. Keep them but please retrain them.

Over all i would stay here again, but the management needs to seriously put some work into their property. everything had a rundown old feel and look to it and concidering that you have such a nice location you could do alot better. Your staff ( the ladies especially) were very very nice and helpful, (whoever cleaned my room everyday you were great too), but when you have to stay in rooms that are not up to par with what you advertise ( you have lovely proffessional pictures boasting great rooms) people will write rotten reviews.

Room Tip: go for the rooms with views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sunset on the Beach Resort? Share your experiences!