“Nice beach!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #67 of 90 Hotels in Negril
“Nice beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The rooms are basic, clean, and spacious. The balcony is great. They are the last hotel on the beach and in walking distance to the town and closest to the Westend where the best restaurants are located. The best aspect of this property is the beach. Plenty of beach whereas many of the other private properties have minimal beach because they built their properties too close to the water. Security on the beach and at the front gate to ensure guests are safe and enjoying their stay. I love the beach and will stay here again. Very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoy the hotel since a few years 2 times a year and absolutely don't understand these bad reviews here. I always feel very welcome, I stayed in other hotels much more worse (even in 5 star hotels). The rooms do not have luxury furnishings but everything you need is available. In Jamaica, you can be happy if the hotels even have a TV. There is no donkey farm and no nude beach in the near as some alleged wrong.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica should inform in advance what to expect there! The conservation of nature is very important to most of the Jamaicans. So it can happen that you can hear even a dog, a cat, a pigeon, grilling or even a donkey (don't worry, also donkeys don't 'I-AAA' 24 hours a day, you may here him 2 times a night for a few seconds, not more). Anyone who can not cope will probably be better in Orlando or somewhere else! You certainly can not expect that every hotel has a doctor but who is able to read has an advantage: Hotel descriptions show if there is a doctor inside of the hotel or not.

Sunset on the Beach is the more expensive hotel. Enjoy if you get a free upgrade to the beach hotel! Normally, it would cost you much more than Sunset on the cliffs. For me, it's normal that I have to pay if I order a bottle of water, it's the same at home. I already had some extra wishes and asked friendly for it and they always helped me very nice. I never had to pay for it.

Anyone traveling to Jamaica need to expect real Jamaicans overthere! A Jamaican hotel worker doesn't look like the concierge in the 4Seasons New York. He don't need to! ...(this comment about the 'homeless' looking security guard is absolutely respectless.) If you need your well known everyday luxury you may have to go into one of the huge all inclusive resorts. There are doctors, flatscreens, and drink as much as you want. You will go back home without a realistic impression of Jamaica and you will need to pay much more money but if you feel better in your daily standards, it will be the better choice for you.

Anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation and who likes to know the Jamaican people and the area of Negril can spend wonderful days here. Also single-travellers are in good hands here. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, from reception to the gardeners and cooks to restaurant/bar. No exceptions! (And have not we all sometimes a bad day in life?!) June and Mr. Henry have always an open ear for their guests needs and do everything in order to provide them a very enjoyable vacationtime.

The restaurant by the sea has a great location, the beach is bigger and better than most other beach hotels, you'll find enough chairs and also shade and I think it's great that you can use both hotels. The Cliffs Hotel is much more quiet, has a fantastic seaview but who loves the beach and the life there will prefer Sunset on the Beach. On Sundays, the Jamaicans celebrate a Party in the near (1pm to 1am). Wednesday was always karaoke party in the hotel. (And if you don't like it: ear plugs help.)

In a few days I am back at the hotel, I count the days! Melvin, Stacey, Lloyd, Melissa, Robert, Chenece, Nicola, Kadisha and my good friend 'Greenie', the Rasta on the beach selling souvenirs for always a fair price. I can not name all the people that I like so much in Sunset on the Beach.

I know I'm going to spend happy days there again,will forget everyday life at home the second I arrive, meet friends and even if it rains I will have a lot of fun at the beachbar ... and if I once again miss my room key or forget my float, someone will save it for me again before I notice at all that I've forgotten it.

One more thing: Most Jamaicans are really very poor. Tip as a 'thank you for good service' is never required here, but it is very welcome and really helpful.

... and no, I do not work for the hotel, this is not a fake review, I'm just a guest of the hotel, I know it well and I always don't like to go back home.

Room Tip: Don't miss a trip with the Wild Thing Catamaran to the Half Moon Beach, Negril. And enjoy the ex...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

this was my first time in jamaica, so i decided to stay at the sister resort, Sunset on the cliffs. However on arrival in Montego bay I called th hotel ( Sunset on the Cliffs) only to be told by a very nice well spoken lady that Sunset on the cliffs was closed because the bar and the kitchen had to be closed. No explination as to what the cause of the closure, but that I was welcome to stay at the sister resort Sunset on the Beach and they were expecting me. I had booked a superior ocean view room at the Cliffs and i was assured that I would get the same when I got to the Beach location.

So imagine my dismay when i arrived at the Sunset on the Beach location to be told that my Superior ocean view room with my queen sized bed and all inclusive breakfast was not an option and I was getting a "garden view" room with double beds. I was told that if i did not like that option i was welcome to go up to the Sunset on the Cliffs location, sleep there and have travel arrangements made to ferry me to breakfast at the Beach location. All that travel for some food and a view was not worth it to me at that time and i was told i would have to wait until 4 days after my trip was over before i could get the room that i paid for. too make it worse, they did not even discount the price of my room for the inconvinience caused or offer any other ideas on how to fix my delima. They young lady at the counter was a very sweet and helpful individual but i felt exceptionally slighted. :(

The security guard then escorted me to my room, through a nonexistant garden, up stairs that could have used a few coats of paint and to my room. The view from the front door of my room was of a tangle of bush, over and undergrowth, Trees and rubbish left behind. On entering the room my heart dropped even more because everything in the room was OLD. The furniture looked like it came from someones grandmothers house, the beds from a dorm room with a quick slap of paint on them, the linen was clean but older than I am, rough and thin. The shelving in the front hallway closet was leaning and the safe lock came out of its housing when i put the key in it!!!!!! madness! The bathroom window had slats that were chipped and ill fitting with some sort of chicken wire over it to keep out lizards i am assuming and the chest of drawers had no properly fitting drawers and an strong musty smell. The air condition unit was working but a whole section of the bottom was broken off.

The television was a small one and was not working so they had to fetch another one and then get another remote for the sircondition and the Television because that was not working. Shouldnt this have been done before your guests get there? The door the balcony had a peep hole and a security chain which was fine but that type of door should be the main door entrance and the door to come into my room was the door that you should have on the balcony. But the room was clean and so was the bathroom so i was happy with that... at least.

The breakfast the next morning was lovely. i had the jamaican breakfast and my server Stacey was one of the sweetest persons i met. she was extremely attentive to me, i never had to ask her for refills or any type of service she was always there at my elbow asking me if i needed anything. She did all this while attending to 6 other patrons and never missed a beat. Pay this lady some more money and keep her year round please! i work in customer service and she definately can teach a class! i had Millicent the next day and she was fab as well, making sure I was comfortable and telling me about jamaica and where i could go. Both women were great, and made rough start at the hotel somewhat forgetable. However on the last day i was there the two guys that were serving that morning were not the best, people had to get up and go to the bar to get their own drinks, they forgot to give straws with the drinks and took up to 30 mins to serve my breakfast and forgot another woman all together and over charged another guest. Keep them but please retrain them.

Over all i would stay here again, but the management needs to seriously put some work into their property. everything had a rundown old feel and look to it and concidering that you have such a nice location you could do alot better. Your staff ( the ladies especially) were very very nice and helpful, (whoever cleaned my room everyday you were great too), but when you have to stay in rooms that are not up to par with what you advertise ( you have lovely proffessional pictures boasting great rooms) people will write rotten reviews.

Room Tip: go for the rooms with views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our first time in Jamaica & felt I did a decent job of researching the area in advance & was looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a safe location..Little did I know...I'd picked the WURST hotel in Negril. Day 1. We arrived at "Sunset on the Cliff"s" Hotel where I booked my reservation & was advised that the bar was closed for season & where requiered to check in at parent hotel " Sunset on the Beach. Upon paying a taxi to drive us to Sunset on the Beach & begining check in process we over heard another guest complaining about her stay & should have at this point " ran for the door!". We where escorted to our room by what appeared to be a homless man & upon entering the room noticed the smell of mold & possible mildew. The rooms are old & pure disgusting. There are no vending machines on property & you better be prepared to pay for EVERYTHING!! Including getting directions to nearest source of water, food & or medical attention. BEST part of this horrible nightmare was the unexpected neighbor next door.. We got ZERO sleep because of a FREAKING..DONKEY staying on pasture next door (literally with in 20ft ) our room. THIS PLACE IS A NIGHTMARE.. & Manager/Owner ( June ) is Freddy Cruger!!! This lady is a SCAM arists & should be placed in jail for scaming tourists. She does NOT belong in a job with client interaction, she is RUDE, unknowledgable about her industry & just puts a bad taste in peoples mouth & poorly represents Jamaican businesses. PLEASE FOLKS!!! STAY AWAY!!!..No one deserves this kind of punishment:(....Be warned go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Dont stay here..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sunsetonthecliffs, Owner at Sunset on the Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Rarely do I find the need to respond to a review, but when a review is not only slanderous to myself but also my employees, I am left no option What this guest is saying is 100% not the truth at all. First let me begin by stating her credit card was declined, but her reservation was held even though she had made no deposit, when it should have be cancelled then she shows up 1 day late without explanation,again it should have been cancelled, but accomadated her anyway. Her reservation was made through booking.com's subsidiary company, priceline. com, she then said booking.com did not exist, and stated that I was lying and had made up that companies name . She had booked at Sunset on the Cliffs, and yes we are doing renovations to the bar now, but she was given the option to stay at that hotel or at Sunset on the Beach, she then chose Sunset on the Beach. Upon arrival, she was checked in ( with no other guests being in the lobby at that time as she falsley states ) She was taken to her room buy a uniformed security guard, to imply that he was homeless is degrading and it is slander. She did not want to pay for her purchase of bottled water, which is what one does when they want to purchase something from a business, then as far as being charged for medical attention, first she never asked for anything of that nature and again, that would be for her to be responsible for financially. Her original booking was for 7 days, and as it clearly states in her booking agreement, at check-in, she must pay for the reservation in full. She did not want to do this, so she later claims at check out that I am commiting credit card fraud. Upon her third day, she comes to lobby to check-out, when asked why, she replies she is very sick ( which I agree ). She then demands a refund, I calmly inform her she must contact booking.com to modify her reservation, she then accuses me of making up the name of that company, I show her the original booking, she then says "my kind is vey clever and scheming", She begins to rant and rave about being located next to a donkey farm, which is another untrue statement. I then call booking.com myself to assist her with this , as she continues to say that there is no such company and she booked through pricleline,After I spoke to the representive from booking.com, I asked her to please speak with them, she stormed out of the lobby and into a cab. Booking.com then tried to reach her and she did not answer their calls ( even though she had her phone and was using it, as she pretended to be calling her bank stating that I was to be locked up for committing credit card fraud ). I then asked booking.com to modify her reservation and they did, even though she should have done this herself, but refused to listen to anything myself or the receptionist was saying. She was completly rude and saying very nasty things to both of us, as you can clearly see by what she writes about me. If her expecatations of this hotel were not met, or if she was in deed sick I can understand this, but to make up such a horrible story is just not accepatable.
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were there for 2 weeks in March, 2012. All inclusive - not a buffet but actually made meals to order - very tasty. It was our first time in Jamacia. The hotel is quite small, its not one of those impersonal giant resorts. You soon recognize the guest and know all the staff. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Beach area is quite nice and large in comparison to many other resorts along the beach. We were at the very front of the resort. Room was large but very noise. Highway runs right in front and its quite noisy all night long. Be careful with your stuff, a lot of peddlars along the beach, although they go away if you ignore them. Walked into town, which I would only do during day light hours. Was advised not to even walk down the beach at night.
Jamaican is defnitely not the safest place, but this hotel is definitely a step up from the others along the beach.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the beach as possible. These will be the quitest.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was here Aug 2012, great staff, clean rooms, decided this will be my spot to stay, I travel to Negril twice a year this was my first stay at Sunset on the Beach. Economical, great location. I have been going to Negril the past 7 years, enjoyed my stay. Bringing friends in spring 2013 and already told them about this i where we are going to stay. Loved it here!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is such a great hotel! Steps from the sand and great staff! I suggest getting the 800 and 900 rooms, since they offer more space. It's close to the town center and all the other great places, like Alfred's, Jungle, and food locations. Miss June, Ricardo, and all her staff (Lloyd, Roy, Ian, Jerome) are extremely helpful and always looking out for you. I am definitely heading back here when I come back to Negril. Best deal for all that we had!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset on the Beach Resort? Share your experiences!