“Perfect for US!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Perfect for US!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We found Kuyaba by mistake: We went there to dine after reading a recommendation in FODOR's Caribbean. Our sleeping reservations were with a small hotel down the road and we were not happy with the accomodations. It was a pleasant surprise when we arrived to eat dinner and discovered that they also had sleeping accomodations. The entrance way is enticing; the grounds are quiet and well manicured. This is a small boutique hotel, no pool, but in a very key spot on Seven Mile Beach. Everything is accessible and it is in a safe place on the strip. We checked out of our other hotel and spent 3 nights at Kuyaba. We stayed in the KING SUITE that had a lovely, audacious bathroom complete with open shower and jacuzzi tub. The bed was fabulous and AC ran cold!! It was very peaceful and utterly relaxing. The place had a very nice feel to it; the staff was professional and friendly and food delicious. Try the Birds of Paradise chicken dish! My husband had the best burger he has ever had! I also loved the Coconut French Toast> It was an incredible find and we would definetly go back again! I agree with the previous writer that this is not the place for those that like the big resort deal. This is a classy, understated family owned establishment that offers upscale rooms at a reasonable price. We did eat at Selina's across the street and had amazing banana stuffed pancakes and delicous strong Blue Mountain coffee. We also ate at Cosmos like a king and queen for under $30 US. All in all, this weekend accomplished what we were looking for, a quick getaway weekend with lots of R&R. We met other couples who had very busy itineraries; zip lining, hiking, snorkeling, etc. We were happy to just to chill on the beach and enjoy the beautiful water. GO here if you want to relax and not pay an arm and a leg!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Kuyaba is a great hotel for beach front ambiance, and kicking back. The King suite rooms are spacious, and have everything you need. I could recommend this for people who appreciate quality, but want to experiance the real side of Jamaica. People who enjoy resort compounds would probably not be happy here, the same way that we would not be happy in a resort.

There were certainly no safety concerns, all the people were friendly, and we had a great time.

It is also worth checking out "Trina's" Jerk House down the street, and "Selina's" coffee bar across the road.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

The place were raccomeded by a tourist guide ,,,, we ended up dining there after a long excursion. We were just a bit tired ,.... and extremelly hungry.... As we walked in a girl welcomed us and showed the table.. quite nice.. after that .. a full disaster. Uncooked shrimps with something that had been bacon in a past life... a terrible dish of a sort of pasta with a pink tomato sauce and some fish (can't tell you what exactly..).. I leave the coffee to your immagination.... and the bill also... 3 of us ONLY $178!!! After the bill we were given a picece of paper to leave comments and SPECILLY write who reccomended the place. I expect tjhe management tips who directs guests there.. so my reply was " I definitely found this terrible place online", so no one will get a commission from my expense!
we noticed that the place was full of natives with European partners.... and this is the end ...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I have been to Jamaica a few times, and have experienced different types of accommodations; from all-inclusive to rustic cottages, and I'd have to say that Kuyaba is the perfect blend between the two. The rooms are clean and well appointed without being too luxurious. We had AC and a TV, although we hardly used either. The bathroom had a great open shower and a jacuzzi/bath, and each room had a small porch with a swinging chair, great for lounging and socializing. We had absolutely no problem with anything. The staff was great and the hospitality was above reproach. The food at their beachside restaurant was some of the best I've had in Jamaica, and you couldn't beat the view any time of day or night. My wife and I were there with a large group of people and that made it feel really comfortable and familiar, even though it was our first time staying there.
The proximity to other restaurants, nightclubs and souvenir stands is such that you would never have to go to far from the property to find anything to suit your needs. A walk down the long stretch of beach is a must, and you're more than welcome, and even encouraged to stop in at most of the other resorts, beach-bars and eateries along the way. Of course, if you're the kind of person that never wants to leave the comfort and security of your own resort and just lay in the sun all day and eat and drink exclusively at one place, you can do that too and be quite satisfied.
There is a large mall-type place directly across the road called "Times Square" where you can shop in secure comfort and peddlers are not allowed, if that is more to your liking. There is also a Cambio (similar to a bank) almost right next door where you can get U.S. currency exchanged for JA dollars. The exchange rate is currently about 87(J )to 1(US). Learning how to translate that and use the country's money in all situations was a point of pride for me. It can be quite confusing if you're not well versed on the exchange rate, and some of the locals count on that and will even try to take advantage of your inexperience to get over on you. Don't be afraid to use a calculator for fear of not seeming "cool". The one on my phone came in quite handy on several occasions. Be sure to have plenty of smaller bills, as there will be no guarantee of a roadside vendor or cab driver being able or willing to make change.
Sure, you have to deal with peddlers and hustlers on the beach and on the road, but that's what comes with vacationing in a poor country where the locals are trying to survive while we come in and enjoy the fruits and pleasures of their island. If your head and heart are in the right place, you can know how to deal with this aspect in a humble and humane way, and strike a balance of mutual respect and understanding, instead of only seeing it as an annoyance. I'm not saying that there are not predators, but you cannot put them all in that category. I met many genuine, kind and honest people, as well as hustlers and slicktalkers, but you'll find that no matter where you go, even at home. Tourist dollars are the lifeblood of the economy, and everybody is trying to get a little piece. Learning how to navigate and negotiate, to me, is all part of the experience, and can be rewarding in itself. I love meeting all kinds of interesting people, and getting to know someone, regardless of their social standing or cultural background is what makes a visit more satisfying to me.
So all that being said, I would definitely stay at Kuyaba again and would recommend it highly.

Stayed April 2010
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband and I just stayed a week at Kuyaba. It was wonderful. Our room was very nice and the AC was awesome. We really enjoyed the staff.....they always had a smile and were willing to help. The restaurant was the best. We look forward to our next visit!

Only down fall is the noise at night. Bourbon Beach on one side and Legends on the other.....I love reggae, but it is hard to sleep through. I would still go back any day

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Kuyaba is amazing. The customer service was incredible. After our first day there the employees knew our names. The hotel was clean, the staff extremely polite and accommodating. Zelma was the epitome of customer service. I told her my husband wasn't successful back in the States finding a good Jamaican cookbook, so she offers to pick one up on her day off. She offered a lot of her self. Her manager, Marva, made sure my boys were able to order food that wasn't on the menu. Who does this? People who truly are wanting you to enjoy your experience at their hotel. The rooms were roomy, beautiful and very clean. Not easy to do with two teenage boys. The bartenders were so much fun, had some great conversations with them. Charlie and Buddy, birds living there, were extremely entertaining. The staff on the beach were great. As soon as your feet touched the beach they would offer you a chair. We took a boat ride out to the reef and Captain Clark's crew made it a very memorable experience for my two boys. The food was fabulous! Touring on the island was effortless with the help of Zelma. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. We are coming back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

What can i say about the Kuyaba-Breath taking view,all natural palm and bamboo tree's,very private,treed in well,beautiful walk way entering the ground,The Staff greeted you with genuine smiles and made you feel very welcome.The whole hotel was very inviting,the restraunt was open and you could sit and eat breakfast and watch the sun come up or watch the sun set from a great view..The bar staff and waitress were very friendly and professional.many a evening we had drinks and dinner watched the sunset ..Really loved those birds(parrots) Charlie and Buddy-looked forward to seeing them every day...Those two birds were quite the characters..The cleaning staff were very polite and our rooms were always clean,The security on the beach front was great and always had a chair waiting to be moved for me by the guys that work the beach front..There were people peddling there fruits and other items ,but didn't find that to be a problem with a simple no thank you..The beach front was always clean and inviting..The Kuyaba really looks after there property and there quests..Always had a clean towel when needed ,a drink in hand and smiles all around.Would like to thank the staff of the Kuyaba for making my first trip to Jamaica a great vacation,will be returning Nov of 2010..same place same dates...Thanks to Ricki,Dj,Queeni,marcy,Sherlock,Johnny,Leroy,Captain Clark ,and all who made our stay at the Kuyaba great..And all the other Employees i didn't catch there names..
L Stahl
Rosser,Manitoba,Canada

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Kuyaba? Share your experiences!