“BEST DECISION TO STAY HERE” 5 of 5 stars

Kuyaba
PO Box 2635, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #41 of 91 hotels in Negril
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“BEST DECISION TO STAY HERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

After staying at Samsara resort for 4 nights on the cliffs, we transferred here and stayed a couple more nights.
There was a mishap regarding our reservation, so to everyone booking with them, they have to send you a confirmation number on top of the electronic email reservation confirmation and even if you we were already charged. I am glad I was able to pull up my credit card charge so I was able to show them. Anyhow, the manager sorted it out and they were very helpful and our room was wonderful with a king sized bed, air conditioning, flat screen and bath tub with jets. The bathroom has a his & hers sink and it was huge!

We ate here for breakfast, lunch and some dinner and everything was excellent!!! This resort is right across the duty free square wher you can buy almost everything and has a reliable ATM. There is also a grocery store to get basic stuff to alcohol, beer and etc. Wifi was a must for me since I'm also in Grad school, and unfortunately theirs was not as reliable but its okay.

The security guy is on top of eveything, and he pays attention to guests and non guests on the property. The beach is amazing!!! Shane our driver on our way back to the airport was stationed at the resort and his van was brand new and he was on time to take us to the airport.

I will surely come back to this resort!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Treasure Beach, Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

As every year I made a short trip to Negril and Kuyaba was the place to stay again.
Why? First and foremost the price meets the quality - the rooms (stayed in a deluxe room) are spacious and clean the bathroom is decent and there is a modern AC unit. I saw by myself most of the rooms offered at a price range from 60 to 100 US a night and at Negril, Kuyaba is the best catch in that price range for individual travelers.
Only downturn there was no hot water during the 3 nights.
Big thumbs up for the nice restaurant team and special thanks to Kedeisha from the Front Desk who has excellent customer service skills (which is sometimes hard to find in Jamaica).
Will be back soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Kuyaba has probably been one of the best experiences I've had staying on an island. It's simple, yet gorgeous. Greenery everwhere, parrots trying to get a word in, a beautiful deck with Cabanas, a nice little terrace-top table to dine and watch the sunset, and it's attached to the beach.
All in all, well worth the price you pay. The rooms have their own individual balconies too and it's close to almost everything. The beach, malls, restaurants, you name it.

I must mention the staff at Kuyaba who were incredible and very hospitable. Loved Jamaica, loved Negril, and loved Kuyaba. Will go back.

Room Tip: They're all great rooms... we got a room facing the walkway but was still surrounded by lush fol...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Being that I was in Jamaica for my wedding weekend, I found this spot via the internet. They had a honeymoon suite and I thought it would be romantic to be in a "tree house." I thought the scenery was different, exotic and nice. I liked the fact that it was on the beach so I could step outside my room and be on the beach. I was greeted with nothing but warmth and kindness, especially from the front desk Rochelle she was a doll. Everyone on the property was basically there for my every need. I felt home away from home, my fiancé at the time now hubby was impressed at the service and so was I, we enjoyed it so much that we began our trip in Negril there and returned for our last night on the island at Kuyaba. We will return with more guests. Thank you Kuyaba staff....

Room Tip: For the price I think any room will do, especially on the beach. But if you are looking for space th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I went to Kuyaba in Negril, Jamaica in February 2012. We stayed for 8 days in the Honeymoon Suite and had an AMAZING time! The weather was absolutely beautiful most of the time - we had a few showers but they were welcome to clear out the air. The hotel is right on the beach - we awoke the first morning to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. There is a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and a bar with the friendliest bartenders. The drinks are strong and very inexpensive. The hotel is right on the beach and we regularly walked up and down the beach checking out other restaurants and bars. This hotel comes highly recommended - we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite is WONDERFUL! Very large room, comfortable king size bed, huge balcony with com...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Love the atmosphere. Not a big compound small Jamaican hotel on the beach. Has all you are looking for without the exhibit any prices. Love the parrot Got a great rate. Living in Jamaica it was a good getaway

• Stayed November 2012
Greenup, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our first trip to Kuyaba was last year, and we only stayed 3 days before heading to the cliffs for a week. This year we decided to stay two weeks at Kuyaba. After many trips over many years, we have found our place in Negril!!

Transportation
We have been booking Kingsley James, owner of Take Care Tours for several years. Kingsley was busy and had Robert pick us up. Wow, what a great person! He went out of his way to make sure we found everything we needed in Montego Bay before heading to Negril. He called a few times just to check on us and see if we needed anything. A few items not available in Negril he got for us in his town of Sav-La-Mar. Dropping them off while on an airport run. Brought the children by to meet us one day as well.

Check-in And Front Office
As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the charming Ms. Zelma at the office. She said she had a surprise for us. Roshelle, also of the office staff, had arranged for us to spend our entire stay in the Honeymoon Suite! (Originally we were to change rooms after one night.) They were so friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze and delight. Before we could even finish checking in, Junior and Earl had our luggage and things from the grocery in our room!!! Mr. Russell, who also works in the office is very personable and helpful. Zelma showed us to our room and made sure everything was in good working order. At no time was anyone in the office rude, and we were certainly not treated with disdain!! (as described in previous reviews) Roshelle came up to our room one evening to help me find a specific Jamaican television show. When I informed Mr. Russell of a small ceiling leak during our only heavy rain, he came to the room immediately. He had someone inspect and repair it promptly. All office staff receives 5 Stars from us!!! Above and beyond!!!

Accommodations
We love the Honeymoon Suite. A spacious and very clean room and bath. King bed is really comfortable. We love being upstairs in the trees and the extra large verandah is an added bonus. We spent every morning and evening outside enjoying the calming atmosphere created by the beautiful lush gardens. Plenty of hot water and great water pressure. Clean towels and wash cloths everyday. Shampoo and conditioner complimentary. Full size refrigerator. Quiet and efficient ceiling fan and very comfortable air conditioning. TV is older, but worked well for the small amount of time we watched it. Nice variety of cable channels. Beach towels were provided and you could exchange them as needed. In room safe. Previous reviews complained about paying a deposit for the safe key. Many resorts in Negril charge a per day fee just to use the safe.

Housekeeping And Maintenance
Marcia and Junie are both delightful housekeepers! Pleasant and fun. Always asking if there was anything we needed and if everything was to our liking. They kept our room very clean. Marcia brought fresh flower arrangements for Beverly on several occasions! Because Kuyaba is a small boutique hotel, all linens may not be ready at the time your room is cleaned. Don't get upset about this small detail. Marcia and Junie would make an extra trip to hand deliver any items that were not placed in the room during cleaning, and always did so with a smile and wishing us a good evening. They are very attentive without being imposing.
The grounds are beautifully maintained and are quite impressive. The curving walkways canopied with many varieties of trees and plants are so soothing. Earl does a great job of keeping the grounds clean and aesthetically pleasing. He is a great guy with a good sense of humor and a treat to talk to. He would help you in any way he could!

Restaurant
Kuyaba is well known as a fine eatery in Negril. Many delicious entrees for lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the Veggie Quesadillas for lunch. Dinner choices we enjoyed were Penne Pasta with Marinara, (Their sauce is very good) Brownstew Chicken, Grilled Snapper with coconut callaloo, and a very nice tomato salad with feta, olive oil and garlic. Hyacinth, Joan and DJ are very gracious and entertaining hosts. We had dinner with some Jamaican friends from Cousins Cove. They were treated well and allowed to visit with us. As it should be! Joan and our dinner guest are long time friends and we had a great evening! Another evening we celebrated the birthday of Junior, who is a Kuyaba security guard. Again, Joan was fun, DJ served up great drinks, and Junior was quite the character. A very memorable evening for us. Thanks Kuyaba!!! Great sunset views from a picturesque seaside restaurant and bar!

Local Food
While the Kuyaba food is excellent, we also enjoy local food. Good jerk chicken and pork nearby. Fresh fruit and vegetables are readily available. One of our favorite snacks was a Veggie Pattie from the beach Pattie Man. $2.00USD. We enjoy Just Natural on the cliffs, as well as Fatty's and Miss Norma's. Get out and meet some colorful locals and enjoy some great cooking for very cheap prices!!

Security
Security at Kuyaba is excellent as well as interesting. Guards 24/7 at beach and road entrance. Would bring our beach chairs to the location we wanted each morning. If we wanted to talk to a beach vendor they allowed us to do so. When a vendor was aggressive, they were quickly on top of it. That was a rare occurrence because they have established their presence at the Kuyaba beach property. Always helpful and friendly. Never overbearing. I am a bit different from most travelers in that I like to hangout in front with the taxi drivers and enjoy normal conversation. We were fortunate to become friends with Junior, security at the front gate. We enjoyed talking and joking with each other. While security is not a high concern, they have you covered. Charles is great at the beach entrance on the night shift. As with everything else at Kuyaba, they made our stay relaxed and comfortable.

Noise
Many reviews address the noise from the live music. It is beyond the control of Kuyaba. It is loud some evenings, but it is a display of cultural heritage and musical roots. Remember, you are not at home any more and just go with the flow of the culture. I don't remember either of us saying we were too tired to lie on the beach because of loud night time music!!! After all, it is a vacation! My only suggestion would be for Bourbon Beach to find a better sound engineer!!

Summary
While I have described my likings about Kuyaba, the people employed there are a huge reason we will be back. The best treatment and experience in Jamaica yet! We enjoy relaxed vacations with no itinerary. Everything we need is right there or a short walk or taxi ride away. We highly recommend Kuyaba. If you go, take time to get to know the people. They are wonderful and will enrich your experience!!

Peace,
Russell and Beverly

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kuyaba? Share your experiences!