“Camping with Walls” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 91 Hotels in Negril
WDC
“Camping with Walls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Girls trip - overall it was nice. Nothing grossed me out. The rooms were clean and grounds were nice, but dark at night. I always had security walk me to my room coming in late.

Complaints - bring your own hairdryer and iron. They have 28 rooms with 2 irons to accomodate guests and hairdryers are available from the front desk. No fridge (additional cost), no phones (rent local cell phones), no luggage rack (luckily I had 2beds and improvised). The locals will hound you all day long to buy gifts and never walk alone or they'll follow you.

I never ate at the hotel, the local restaurants/vendors are good; lot of food for little $$$. There were lots of locals on the beach selling fruit, fresh juice, homemade bananna bread, sugarcanes, jerk pork, you name it you could actually have breakfast/lunch on the beach without leaving your chair. I could actually see myself visiting again. The beach was nice/clean and never crowded; we lounged from sun-up to sun-set.

Room Tip: If you're not use to stairs, ask for a lower level; stairs were steep and open - felt like a tre...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just Returned 11/6/12 Our Legs ,& MY EYE were Bitten by BUGS , People on the beach wouldn't leave us alone, NO FRIG in the room -- asking for ice was like asking for gold. the coffee- 2 CUPS (NO REFILLS) $4.80 AMERICAN-- save your money -- DON'T BOOK THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Kuyaba is my go to Negril Hotel. I've probably stayed here 6 or 7 times over the years. The reservations manager Toshiro always takes great care of me when it's time to book another visit. The staff is great, rooms are great and decor of the property is exactly what I want from a small hotel in paradise. Where kuyaba wins tho is the restaurant and the location - it's closer to the town end of the strip so you can access negril town or the west end easily. The restaurant is magnificent and in the perfect place for a sunset dinner - I always order the calaloo coconut snapper - infact I had it three out of 4 nights on the last trip. It's right on the beach and the jet ski guys and the glass bottom boat captain will arrange excursions for you. Jet skiing, boat trips to Booby cay and snorkeling in the reefs are great ways to spend the lazy days. Get a driver to take you to MAYFIELD FALL!!! This place is incredible - I've been to just about every major water fall in Ja and this place is a gem! It's about an hours drive up the hill and through the communities surrounding negril and its amazing - it's not commercial like dunns river falls - a great way to spend a day immersed in nature. And the massage pools are excellent - be sure to have your guide take you to the "washing machine" and tip him well. You can't go wrong in negril. Cheers!

• Stayed May 2012
Raceland, KY, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Kuyaba in July, 2012. The Honeymoon Room is very clean and spacious. Full size fridge and great air conditioning. Much of our evening time was spent on the verandah. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Fresh towels were available whenever requested. The beach was relaxing and very few hustlers. When did encounter some loud music one night, but enjoyed it! Zelma and Mr. Russell were very helpful and friendly at the front desk. (unlike previous reviews describing them as rude) Everyone at Kuyaba was great. Security, housekeeping, maintenance, and restaurant staff. Food is excellent!
Kuyaba offers privacy and service at a very affordable price. Easy taxi to town and back. Chunky and Jamie are safe drivers who don't try to rip you off. Shops and grocery within a short walk. Very safe. We will return next summer for a longer stay. Wonderful place to relax!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed at Kuyaba recently and had a great experience. The property is really pretty and the rooms are clean and well kept. The best part of Kuyaba is the staff. They are a great group and made our stay even better.
The beach area is small at Kuyaba and there is definitely run over from a property next door. This created even more of a crowd on the beach.
There were two nights that the noise was awful..reverberating the walls awful.
A great place to stay.Management should really try to work with local businesses to resolve the noise issue.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had read about the loud music unfortunately after booking. However, let me mak eit clear it was like the band was in our rustic cottage. Every other night of our 5 night stay we were kept away from 11PM until 3-4AM. There is a 24 hour shack/tiki/bar right next door to the hotel. On the other side of that bar there is stage which had live music and on one night they both played LOUDLY at the same time. The hotel is also next to Legends Hotel which also had music on night. It did stop at midnight. Which is reasonable. We stayed February 9-14, 2012.

After the 1st night I went to the office and they said I should have let them know during the night and security would have done something. OK, so I shold come out of my room at 2am to report this? I think the security guard could have heard it.

After the 2nd night I went to the office again the next morning and requested to change room. They said I could if I paid $180/night instead of the $70/night I was paying. Our friends were styaing in the $180/night and they also heard the band all night. So there was no point. I was told there had been letters sent by the hotel mgr to the bar next door.

After the 3rd night I again spoke w/the office. Upon checking out I also spoke with mgt he also said I should have advised security during the night which meant leaving my room which has no phone to find this security person. He also said not everyone's noise tolerance is the same. I agree. However, I do not expect to be kept awake until 3am when the bar where I am staying closes at 11pm.

We travel every year to Cancun, Mexico and we stay at all inclusive resorts so we are tolerant to late night partiers. This did not even come close.

Zelma was very appologetic for the noise which is out of her control. We also requested a frig before arrival which we did not get. However, the room was way too small for it. They are full size frigs. WE also enjoyed Steven at the front security and Jeffrey in the bar. Food at the hotel was good but pricey and the portions are small and I am not a big eater. WE did enjoy the blue mountain coffee every morning and did not pay for refills as others have stated.

We ate at Fatty's which seemed to be a woman's very own kitchen. Met someone on the beach who referred it and it was the best fried chicked. We did have to ask for directions and everyone would say it was closed and try to get you into their place. WE also loved the fish at Alfred's. My husband had curry goat at Cocoa International which he said was great. WE ate out on the cliff area at LTU which was very good and good service.

Would recommend the Rock House if you want to pay for a very nice hotel.

We had booked a rustic cottage and there are only wood shutter slats with screens over them. Some of the windows did have glass but very thin. WE were very close to the honeymoon suite so if you spend the money for this type room you should check before booking with the hotel if the music still plays loudly next door until 3-4am. I will also say the rustic cottage is very, very rustic. There were ants when you would turn a light on in the middle of the night. You could also see thru the wood flooring in the bathroom to the dirt floor. It was very cheap for 5 nights so we were happy.

I did disupte my charge after getting home and the hotel accomodated me for the credit of the balance. Just too bad I had to pay upfront for 3 nights. At least I got the 2 night refund. I have no problem paying for what I receive but noone should pay for being kept awake and stressed from the pounding music. Even if it is Jamaica mon.

Room Tip: There is no pool but the beach was very nice. Sometimes got crowded. We were in rustic cottage and...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Beautiful setting canopied midst palms and other local trees naturally blending with natural by the beach, Kuyaba is truly a nature lover's paradise. With a courteous staff Kuyaba lives up to the highest service expected of a visitor's wish and dream. Equipped with a well serviced bar and restaurant uninhibited unlike some resort Kuyaba has open access to its patrons. One can feel the ease immediately on entering its ground, always greeted with cheer and smile; welcome, you are in Jamaica!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kuyaba? Share your experiences!