“Always the Right Choice onThe Beach in Negril” 4 of 5 stars

Kuyaba
PO Box 2635, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #40 of 90 Hotels in Negril
St. Louis, Missouri
“Always the Right Choice onThe Beach in Negril”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

After having stayed in June 2011 and again in December/Jan I have to say we are well pleased with our selection of Kuyaba. An honest review of the property/food/staff and grounds follows:

PROPERTY

Kuyaba has a narrow strip of land running from Norman Manley Blvd to the beach. Within this strip they have done an excellent job of layout design, planting, and maintenance. The rooms are housed primarily in two-story units, with the rooms running the width of the unit. The standard rooms seem mostly upstairs, while the deluxe king rooms are downstairs. There are also two cabin buildings from back in the day. The cabin nearest the beach is a duplex and the cabin near the road is a single unit. The cabins are rustic, but very old school cool and CHEAP.

ROOMS

We had the honeymoon suite in June. Very large room for Negril. Tall wooden vaulted ceiling, excellent patio.......1970's dated bathroom with a tub that should be replaced due to large pieces of enamel having departed..we liked this room, except the a/c never got it cold enough...we did register our complaint with the staff, who were amiable, but put the blame on the repairmen who wasn't showing up...oh well. Fast forward to December 2011 and we chose the standard deluxe room. Two queen beds, spotlessly clean room and bathroom, clean and very comfy wooden deck. The a/c would get cold enough that we needed the comforter from the other bed! Hot water and water pressure were both island adequate. The room proved very quiet, even when a band was at Bourbon Beach next door. The room was of a large size and we never bumped into each other. TIP, if you email the hotel and request one, a nice large fridge will be brought to your room for only $5/day. Our maid was very personable and did a great job each day before noon.

FOOD

We had eaten here many times before staying here. The quality of the food has never disappointed. It is one of the top restaurants in Negril. Some things that we like and keep ordering are the mountain pepper shrimp, lobster grilled, fried snapper sandwich on coco bread, curry conch, american style hamburger with great fries(I know...but after a couple of weeks...you want the burger!) and if there is a special that day, order it! The servers are very friendly and for the most part, service is good. Out of over 20 times eating at Kuyaba over the years...two examples of having to wait longer than one hour for food. That's not great, but its not tragic, either. Once was no excuse, the other was on New Years Day, good excuse! LOL We will be back to stay and eat, on that you may rely,

STAFF

From the front desk staff who are courteous and polite to the GREAT bartenders RICARDO AND DJ, to Paul the beach security guard who is your go-to guy for all things beach, to front security who is funny and vigilant to grounds crew Earl who really takes care of Buddy and Charlie all the staff at Kuyaba are excellent. All requests within reason are accommodated. Everyone is polite, friendly, competent and empowered to get it done for the guests. Now that is rare.

CONCLUSION

Ok, so why did I only give 4 stars? Simple. No swimming pool. Its not Kuyaba's fault(there is literally no room for it), but you can't get five stars without a swimming pool. And, Kuyaba's prices give you the best value to luxury ratio in Negril. If you can live without a pool. We can!

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs seem quieter, but the best room(king suites) are on the ground floor. Be prepared to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have stayed at many places in Negril, but this was my first stay at Kuyaba.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay.

The grounds are lush and beautiful, the staff is very friendly and accommodating, and of course the restaurant never disappoints! When I had issues such as burned out light bulbs, broken coffee maker or a lost key, the staff was quick to help me. Zelma in the office is delightful.

There are plenty of loungers on the beach, and one of the security guards will set one up for you, and they will keep unwanted vendors at bay. My favorite bar is next door to the left as you look at the sea; owned by an Italian man. ("Irie..." something).

I stayed in the kitchenette cottage #22 for most of my stay (stayed in a deluxe room for the first 4 days). The cottage is as described - a rustic board house. That said, it had everything I needed. It is a little dark inside, but I found that opening the louvered windows helped somewhat. Yes, the windows have screens on them.

There are two twin beds in one room and a full size bed in the next room. The AC unit is in the room with the full size bed. Each room has a ceiling fan also. I never used the AC during my trip in December/January because it was not needed. The bathroom was probably my least favorite due to the lack of water pressure in the shower. I found that if I showered early in the afternoon, before other guests may shower for dinner, the pressure would be improved. I think that some of the other rooms have jacuzzi tubs which may in fact affect the shower water pressure in the cottage. I had to turn on the hot water and wait because it took a few minutes to heat up.
The water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom faucets, however, was very good.

The rustic cottage consists of two units - #22 kitchenette and #21 without kitchenette. They share one porch, and frankly there isn't any privacy when it comes to noise or guests staying there, so you should keep that in mind. You can hear everything through the board walls. I think if you go there with the "right" mindset it won't be bothersome, but it is something to consider depending on what type of traveler you are. An ideal set up would be to book both #21 and #22, which have an inside adjoining door, then you would have the entire cottage and porch to yourself.

I enjoyed sitting on the porch, relaxing in the adirondack chairs; the (free of charge) wifi reception was very good there as well.

The cottage is located near the street side of the property, so you will hear street noise, workers coming into work chatting in the morning, restaurant guests, etc. I used earplugs and was able to sleep soundly.
Bring a power strip/surge protector since the electrical outlets are not located in convenient places.

There is another set of rustic cottages located closer to the restaurant (no kitchenettes).

Like I stated, overall I really enjoyed my stay and I enjoyed the charm of the rustic cottage, even with its faults. I would return to Kuyaba again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Great hotel with clean rooms. Rustic and beautiful settings. The rooms are clean and has a closet and a side table. The room does have a flat screen television and sufficient cable channels to keep you occupied. You do have a small balcony with a hammock seat and chairs. It is a short walk to the restaurant and beach which means no hassle in getting to maybe the reason why you came to Negril in the first place.

The bathroom is clean and serviceable but it sucks that there is no iron or blow dryer in the room. There is no fridge or coffee maker or ice bucket. If you ask at the bar though, they will give you ice in cups or a bag. The bed is hard as other reviewers have said, but still doable.

The beach is small but then you do have the entire stretch of beach if you want to walk. There are great security guards and the one on the beach will provide you with beach chairs-we never had a problem getting sun loungers. You can get food served to you on the beach and relax while you view the incredible scenery in front of you.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed at Kuyaba Dec 4, 2011 and really like it! We stayed in a deluxe room (#14) and were impressed with the cleanliness and the quaint decor and lovely atmosphere of Kuyaba. We had dinner and breakfast at the Kuyaba restaurant and the food was excellent!!! The food was Jamaican and authentic and very well prepared. We did not spend any time on the beach, but we did dine ocean front at dinner and at breakfast and found the beach to be so very beautiful, but small. The servers at the restaurant provided the best service and were very attentive but not overly so. We only stayed there one night because our regular resort was overbooked for one night, but we are so glad to find Kuyaba and we will be back. It is a great alternative to the larger all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica, and the price is right! Thanks Zelma and all the other wonderful staff at Kuyaba!!

Room Tip: We chose the deluxe room. It was a little higher than the cabin rooms, but perfect in every way.
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We typically try to stay at Kuyaba when we go visit Negril. Clean rooms, cold AC, great restaurant and bar, all right on the beach. Music from Burboun Beach next door can be loud at times unless you face north. Ask for a fridge in your room and pick up some of your own beer and Dark and Stormys!

Room Tip: Face North if you can for a quieter nights sleep
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I went to Kuyaba by accident--we were booked at another hotel and there was some mix-up, so they sent us to Kuyaba. Definitely one of the best mistakes to happen to me! Kuyaba is impeccably kept--the grounds are beautiful, with native trees, flowers, lush landscaping, and two hilarious pet birds that chat and shake hands. The rooms are really nice--they have individual patios with hammocks, and a huge bathroom with an open shower and a deep Jacuzzi tub. The water is entirely drinkable, gets and stays hot, and the air conditioning in the bedrooms keeps it cool all night. The staff are some of the sweetest people I've met; like other reviewers, I was increasingly impressed by the concierge, Zelma, and the bartenders, waiters, security guards, and housekeeping. They remembered our names and plans, had nice chats with us, and generally made us feel like we belonged there.

The restaurant backs directly onto the beach, which is small but perfectly serviceable for swimming, sunbathing, and meditating with a great view. Some of the best memories of my vacation are sitting at the restaurant, sipping a cocktail and staring out over the water. The food is great, and the longer you spend in Negril, the more you'll come to appreciate Kuyaba's quality. They have a great mix of Jamaican staples, but done in a way that is higher-end and more approachable for visitors. And the coconut pie with rum sauce is amazing.

The front desk, Zelma and Reggie, are more than happy to recommend trips and tour companies, and even set them up for you if you're not sure how to go about it. They'll let you know the best drivers to hire, the right restaurants to go to, and even how much to expect to pay for a taxi or to tip someone. Kuyaba has a glass-bottom boat on staff that can take you out to the reef for some great snorkeling, or cruise the coast at sunset. The guides on the boat were friendly and made us feel safe.

The beaches of Negril can get a little sketchy at night time, but this is just part of being in Jamaica. Kuyaba has two 24 hour security guards that watch both the beach and the road entrance, and will shoo away any vendors or overly zealous locals who might bother you while you're relaxing. Paul and Stephen really made us feel safe and taken care of.

We've only been to Negril once, but we know we're going back, and we know we'll stay at Kuyaba. It's so friendly, relaxed, and professional! The only downside? The beds are quite hard, and it can get expensive to go out to dinner at the restaurant every night. But the biggest downside if that you eventually have to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an in-unit refrigerator if you plan to make any of your own meals; first floor r...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Spent 2 short nights here and loved it. Lovely LARGE open shower, flat screen TV, comfortable bed. Only thing lacking was an iron and phone in the room. Meals were absolutely delicious! I will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kuyaba? Share your experiences!