“Kuyaba” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Hyattsville, Maryland
“Kuyaba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Kuyaba is a cute boutique hotel that definitely gives you the feel of Jamaica, with a cute walk way, beautiful palm trees, talking parrots (how cool is that) hammocks on your balcony/patio to relax in and great rum punch. The price is right. The food is beyond outstanding and the customer service is friendly and accommodating. Second stay here and I must say it exceeded the first. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My husband and I recently got married at Kuyaba and we couldn't have been happier! We stayed in the honeymoon suite for 2 weeks and it was roomy, comfortable and very romantic. Up on the second level with large windows and beautiful french doors out to the large balcony it was bright and beautiful. My parents stayed in the suite below us and they loved it as well. My friend stayed in one of the rustic cabin rooms and she said that is was very rustic but got what she expected for the price.

And our wedding there was absolutely beautiful! Zelma was amazing, organizing the marriage license, minister, flowers, walkway and arch decorations, dinner table and everyone's meals. We could not have done it without her and we couldn't have been more pleased with the evening (minus the rain right before the ceremony!).

We ate a lot of our meals at the restaurant there, mainly due to the fact that it's one of the best places to eat on the beach. After having a few disappointing breakfasts elsewhere we ended up eating breakfast at Kuyaba everyday and had quite a few lunches and dinners there as well and we never had a bad meal there. Service is some of the best on the beach as well! If you've been to Jamaica before you know to expect slow service and even though service at Kuyaba is not up to North American standards it was still quicker than most places we ate at.

Many of our wedding guests stayed elsewhere in Negril like Country Country, Sunset at the Palms and Couples and I believe that we had the best hotel for the value. All of the above mentioned hotels are a lot more expensive than Kuyaba and although we only saw Country Country (the other two are exclusive resorts), I think Kuyaba was just a nice. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the rooms bright and comfortable, and the staff very friendly. I would highly recommend Kuyaba to everyone, and we will be going back there for sure!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My stay in Negril began a bit rocky considering my move from another hotel after one night and a run in with an illegal taxi , but as soon as I reached Kuyaba it was total relaxation. The Management were very understanding since I checked in early and they made me feel right at home. The food was wonderful and the drinks delicious. Thanks to Ricky my bartender for making sure I had my Red Strip to go and taking good care of me. The room was very clean, smelt clean and the bathroom was a good size. The little porch off the room with the swing seat was my favorite part. Just chillin and relaxin to the sound of waves and birds. One of my best vacations ever!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed in the Honeymoon Suite for 7 nights. Best room I have ever had in Negril. Staff is very friendly, beach location great and the restaurant is fabulous. The red pepper shrimp and cococut pie are a must! This resort was above and beyond anything I could have asked for. We were extremely happy with our choice and will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed 5 nights at Kuyaba in a King suite and it was FABULOUS!!! The room was clean, comfortable, and close to the beach. The bathroom was pretty incredible with an open shower and jacuzzi tub. The staff were all very friendly and attentive and we were treated very well all week. Upside down canoe's were the umbrella drink of choice at the bar, and the food, oh man, the food was SO GOOD and reasonably priced! I highly recommend scrambled eggs and jerk sausage in tortilla's for breakfast, the cheeseburger for lunch (far and away one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had, beats Margaritaville's cheeseburger hands down, sorry Jimmy), and there's a wide selection of awesome entrees for dinner and super yummy desserts. We asked to meet the chef on our last day and thanked and tipped her directly for such wonderful food all week. Six of us stayed at Kuyaba and we all enjoyed it very much. The beach and ocean are beautiful there, the people are super friendly, the location is excellent, and we very much look forward to going back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
victoria b.c.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We booked our wedding at Kuyaba Jan/2011 with only trip advisor reviews to go on as it was our first time to Jamaica. We were treated like royalty the whole time. ALL the staff were friendly and helpful, Zelma was a Godsend. Earl the gardener created the most beautiful wedding Arch and walkway with flowers and palm leaves. I cannot express how friendly all the people who work there are. We loved the hotel setting. Some things should be updated, such as bathtubs, and shower heads in the bathrooms. I found the bed in the delux room hard as a rock, and the pillows need to be upgraded but the bed and pillows in the honeymoon suite were great. We both loved the setting of the hotel, and the grounds which were constantly being kept clean.The only other thing that I didn't like was the cages the parrots, Charlie, and Buddy, were kept in. I don't like seeing big birds in itty bitty cages. In this day and age people are more aware of animals and environments. Nothing bad to say about anything else. Loved Kuyaba, will go back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is not a fancy place, but it's GREAT for the money you spend. The queen rooms were very nice - clean, and the mattresses are hard as a rock which I LOVE. Best sleep I've gotten in a while! Zelma let us in to see the King rooms and they were gorgeous, beautiful bathrooms, nice finishes. The rustic cabins are RUSTIC - do not get these rooms if you are picky. They are great because there's a porch outside to hang out on, but they are definitely not in the greatest condition. However, for a group of young friends (we're all in our 30's) just to basically have a place to sleep, you can't beat that price!

The food at the restaurant was excellent - we ate breakfast there almost every day, and one dinner. They (like every restaurant in Jamaica) are in no hurry so don't go starving.

We ate a lot of the beef patties from the guy that sits across the street - cheap and AWESOME. We also ate a lot of jerk chicken from the other guy across the street - seriously you could live on this food for a week for probably 25 bucks.

The beach was very nice and kept clean by the staff, but small. We were there in low season (early December) so there weren't that many people - but I would imagine that there would be space issues if there were more people there.

The vendors on the beach don't bother me... if you politely but firmly tell them no thank you, they'll go away. If you appear undecided or give them only a half-no (trying to be nice), they will bug you. And others will come over also once one has gotten your attention - so just be firm but nice. These guys are just trying to make a living and most of them are very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Kuyaba? Share your experiences!