“Good Family Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Houston
“Good Family Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I've had the opportunity stay at Travellers Beach Resort on many occasions. I am surprised at some of the reviews that are here. My experience has always been excellent. Travellers have a range of rooms for any budget. My last trip I had a suite on the second floor that was excellent with a kind size bed, living room, kitchen (fully stocked), flat screen television, beautiful art, microwave, AC, etc. VERY COMFORTABLE. I also had a balcony to the front of the resort and one to the back where I was able to see the sunrise and sunset. My suite was a short walk to the beach. My family and friends especially the children enjoyed the pool which was always clean. My 8 months old granddaughter had a wonderful time. This was her second trip to Jamaica. I love the ocean. There were a couple of times that all the beach chairs were taken however as soon as they came available we had one, two, three, four, five, etc. whatever that we need. The staff was always warm and friendly and the owners made up feel that we were a part of the family. The resort have a bar and restaurant on the beach. The staff is very friendly. (Thanks Stacy, Alverine, Romero, Sharon, etc.) My drinks were made to perfection and they were available for refills. We ate chicken, fish and grill cheese sandwiches most of the time by choice. The morning buffet with many varieties was excellent and we were also able to order breakfast from the menu. The food is good and is prepared to order and so it did take a little time to get our order which was not a problem because we were always engaged in good conversation that made the time go by quickly. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and as stated earlier, there are rooms available for every budget. That is not to take away from a well manicured landscape and excellent staff.
When traveling to Jamaica we, my husband and I do stay at other resorts that do not accommodate children. We will leave the young folks (family & friends) at Travellers and stay a few nights at the Super Clubs for romance and adult time.
Did I mention that there is a fitness center, hair salon and 24/7 security? By the way I am not a family member just someone that enjoys having her family and friends having a good time. I've also invited some friends (husband/wife/son/daughter) from Panama on this stip and they had an excellent time and was also pleased with their accomodations and service.
Sincerely, Mrs. Jackson-Douglas

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Honestly one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. I do not even know where to begin. I am a college student who traveled to this hotel with a group of friends thinking it would be a fun place for spring break. We arrived to find we were put into a room the size of a walk-in closet. The place was filthy, beds mad out of cardboard, and smelled like old socks. Electricity in the room was extremely rare between 8am to 8pm and the idea of taking a shower other than in the middle of the night was a joke.If we got more than a couple drips of water from it during the day we were happy. The place was always loud outside and never seemed to be clean. We obtained new towels once during the week we were there, and their idea of "making up" the room was brush the sand under the beds. The pool was filthy and vacant and the hot tub was never under 130 degrees, hence unusable. The staff laughed at us when we requested a towel to use at the beach. And when i say "beach" i mean the 8 feet of rocks and dirty sand to the water below. My friends and I legitimately only tried to be at this hotel the bare minimum we needed to be there. Please disregard what Student City might say about this place. It is a complete joke of a hotel and I would not wish upon my enemies to stay here

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

I stayed here in August with my son and we enjoyed the location, staff and food. I found everyone onsite to be very accomodating. The rooms were okay nothing fancy but perfectly sufficient for our needs which were simple a place to shower and sleep. We did have many meals there and all of them were great. The bar staff was great. As the goal of the family and hotel is to raise educational standard in the community I think it would be a good idea to start at the hotel. I would like to see some maps of the world so the staff knew where you came from as they did seem interested in there customers. Maps with pins to mark your homeland? Focusing on more educational tools within the hotel would inspire others. The books and literature on the progarm was minimal and not very exciting. The bricks are a great idea.

Overall, a great time and would stay again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Bronx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We had a family renunion for our mother Myrtle at the Travelers in August 2009. The staff there were extremely nice and accomidating. They went to every extreme to make our family renunion one that we will never forget. As you can see from the pictures I have submitted, everyone enjoyed themselves there. The beach was clean, the setting was awsome and very relaxing. All togther there was over a 100 of us at the resort. We came in from Canada, America, and England. The resort even went as far as to get a lifegaurd due to the amount of children that was in the pool, this way parents were allowed to free up themselves at the bar or beach. The Myrtle family would just like to than all staff members at the bar, kitchen, and lifeguard for their support. This is a place that you can come to and leave all your normal stress behind. The tree by the bar was the best, you could find everything incorporated in that grape tree...internet, plugs, and coffee. That was cool.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
bladwin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Our experience was amazing! From the moment we walked in, to day we unfortunatey had to leave, the staff was completely pleasant and attentive. The room was a very nice size and comfortable enough for those" I'd rather sleep the day away" days. Best of all, the food was great!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Aaguilar21
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

My trip was all about getting away from a rough time back home. The aim was to feel relaxed and as carefree as possible. I most definitely found that staying at Travellers Beach Resort for a week! I was well taken care of by the kind staff. With the beach just steps outside my room and the main shopping areas just minutes a walk away, it was a prime location to everything! The atmosphere was both family friendly as well as catered nicely to an older crowd. No matter what you were in for, there was sure to be good company, great food and cold drinks waiting at the restaurant and bar adjoining a spacious and comfortable patio with the most spectacular view of the 7 mile beach of Negril! I most definitely recommend a stay at Travellers Beach Resort to anyone and everyone interested in an authentic Jamaican experience to build memories to last a lifetime!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
justinschuck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Where to begin? My first experience with the hotel was with our driver Brady who I can honestly say is the sage of Negril. He picked my friend and I up from the Montego Bay airport and drove us to Travellers an hour away in Negril. The drive might have otherwise been tiring, but Brady was full of insights, especially on the topic of love. He knew bits and pieces of trivia for everywhere we drove. So instead of the drive feeling like an hour-long bus ride, we had a fun hour-long sightseeing tour.

When we got to the hotel, the comely woman behind the counter handed my friend and I the keys to our separate "superior" rooms. They were very friendly and appeared ready for our arrival as if they knew the moment we would walk in the door. I wasn't sure quite what to expect of Travellers Beach Resort judging from their website, but I was most pleasantly surprised by the rooms. The linens were clean, the place was immaculate, the room was spacious, there was a rather large closet, and there was a welcome note written just for me on the bed. It was a nice, if unexpected, touch.

Since it had been more than 12 hours since I had contact with the outside world, I popped open my laptop and checked my email. The surprisingly fast internet gave me thoughts of staying inside, but with wifi all around, I could be connecting on my tropical semi-secluded porch, sitting by the pool, eating at the restaurant, lounging in the lobby or sunning on the beach. Again, this is not at all what I was expecting going into it. Anytime I wasn't near water, I was on that porch.

Travellers has, honestly, the most well manicured grounds, tended all day by the two nicest guys in Jamaica. The housekeeping staff is more than friendly, always asking if I needed anything. Often I felt like I was the only guest staying there.

Travellers also has this interesting vibe because you have students who live there and teach for this educational program NEET sponsored by the hotel, mixed with other young (20's-30's) vacationers and pensioners.

The pool is ridiculous. Ridiculously cool that is. The murals are a bit over the top for my tastes, but I think that's the real charm of this place. It's not trying to be some homogenized, watered-down, Americanized hotel. Thank God! Isn't that why you leave America? So you can be transported to a tropical paradise? The pool has a good-size waterfall which has a hidden private "grotto" underneath where if I weren't single, I would have most certainly been making out. (And on a side note, I'm a swimmer and so I REALLY appreciated that the pH balance of the pool was perfect. I had to tell the front desk because that's a feat. I've stayed at W's with way worse pH levels.)

The one area where the hotel isn't perfect is the restaurant, and not because the staff isn't attentive or that the food is horrible, it just takes a really long time, sometimes way too long. (After some investigation of various restaurants in Negril, I learned that waiting for food is the Jamaican way. I guess my NY pace is hard to let go.) Their homemade Jamaican soups and their Jamaican breakfast are great. French toast is another consistently strong menu item. They call things "red peas" but they aren't red peas, the "peas" are red kidney beans. I don't recommend the jerk chicken as it was dry and presented awkwardly, but I became addicted to their BLT's and the various grilled chicken dishes. So good. And can we talk about the tomatoes?! The best thing about having a tropical climate year-round is that it's always tomato season. All the produce is locally fresh-grown and ripe and perfect. If you like tomatoes, you've got to come here. Fantastic.

After my first morning I looked forward to waking up not for a calm ocean dip, but for their Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I had never tasted or heard of this bean variety, but it's the perfect coffee. It's rich without the acidity. I love good, strong coffee, made in a press or slowly crafted by hand. I don't know how they make their coffee, but it's the best coffee I think I've ever had. Seriously. I was blown away. I ended up buying pounds of this stuff at the duty free. While mine tastes good, there's just something about the java they brew here that makes you want to drink 8 cups in the morning. Amazing.

I grew to love the calm days on the beach, a dip in the pool, and spending all night on my porch enjoying various "herbs" and connecting to the internet. The internet penetration is great. The owner told me that they have the only fiber connection in Negril which they get access to because they are part of Negril TV or something like that.

Bottom line about Travellers is that this is a quaint, family-owned spot offered me a quiet oasis in a comfortable and safe environment. It's the perfect little tropical getaway that will give you the sun, peace, and fun you want without draining your life savings.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Travellers Beach Resort? Share your experiences!